Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Is there a consensus on whether it's better for battery longevity to charge back to your preferred max (e.g. 80%) every day or to run the battery down to 20% over the course of a few days then recharge?

I know it's a hot topic but I haven't found a consensus. Maybe that's my answer - there is no consensus and it's not worth worrying about?

I read my EV9's manual and it gives no recommendation.

If you want to care as much as possible for your battery, you charge to 50% plus half your usual daily use every day. So if your entire daily use is 24%, you charge to 62% every day. The less you deviate from 50% SOC, the better it is for your battery.

Unless you drive a leaf, or a whole lot of kilometers, you're unlikely to ever see meaningful battery degradation in the lifetime of the car, though. It's not really worth worrying about. Set the limit to whatever the manual recommends and plug in every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Vegetable posted:

If I lived in a butt cold place I’d just get a hybrid. From an emissions perspective the most efficient hybrids are pretty close to BEVs. Depending on your state’s energy mix they are sometimes even greener. You don’t get the sickass instant torque but you save some money.

This is only true for a Honda Insight in West Virginia, when compared against a reasonably efficient EV of the same form factor, based on a thorough study by Argonne National lab (w/r/t carbon emissions only) that I'm too lazy to look up.

ROFLBOT posted:

Correct me if i’m wrong but almost all hybrids mean CVT, and as a traditional car guy that’s a bridge i refuse to cross

If i’m hearing an engine it needs to not sound like it has a badly slipping clutch

ICE or BEV, there is no in between

100% agree, specifically a manual or pure EV power train for me, I've had rentals from all the big domestic and Japanese brands recently, and whatever flavor of automatic they have, they're all hunty, annoying dogshit.

Weirdly, I think the best one was the Spark rental, which was kinda fun with the AT ripping through gears trying to extract power from a truly gutless engine. Honda Civic was acceptable as well (and obv. a much nicer car).

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

The highways around me are in poo poo shape, and I thought my Bolt had poo poo the battery because I was only getting 170ish miles per charge, albeit in somewhat chilly weather.

Turns out I'm taking a 20% efficiency hit, and getting 2.7mi/kWh instead of 3.4, just from pumping all the water out of the tire grooves when it's really rainy.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Elviscat posted:

100% agree, specifically a manual or pure EV power train for me, I've had rentals from all the big domestic and Japanese brands recently, and whatever flavor of automatic they have, they're all hunty, annoying dogshit.

Mazda is still shipping cars with traditional torque converter automatics FWIW

and they’re “sport tuned” at that (lol in 2024 we praise companies for sticking with traditional slushbox autos, because the alternative is somehow so much worse)

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jan 21, 2024

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

pun pundit posted:

If you want to care as much as possible for your battery, you charge to 50% plus half your usual daily use every day. So if your entire daily use is 24%, you charge to 62% every day. The less you deviate from 50% SOC, the better it is for your battery.

Unless you drive a leaf, or a whole lot of kilometers, you're unlikely to ever see meaningful battery degradation in the lifetime of the car, though. It's not really worth worrying about. Set the limit to whatever the manual recommends and plug in every day.

This.

But honestly I charge to 75% daily and I've seen like 2% degradation in a little over 3 years, the health of the battery is going to easily outlast the frame/body of this vehicle in my salted roads region of the country. Basically as long as you stay away from the extremes ( >80% / <20% ) during daily charges, battery health is a non-issue for a daily driver. You can absolutely use 100% to 0% on longer trips or whenever you need it, but if you need it every day then you should either get a bigger battery or an EV isn't for you.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Is there a consensus on whether it's better for battery longevity to charge back to your preferred max (e.g. 80%) every day or to run the battery down to 20% over the course of a few days then recharge?

I know it's a hot topic but I haven't found a consensus. Maybe that's my answer - there is no consensus and it's not worth worrying about?

I read my EV9's manual and it gives no recommendation.

I just looked into this yesterday. It seems like your best bet is charging to 50% and then never using the car.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
You never have to worry about range anxiety if you never drive.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

There’s a dude on YouTube that reviews only Chinese cars. It’s a really striking reminder of how many good cars the US is getting denied by dumb trade war bullshit. I’d drive this any day.

https://youtu.be/kFGXAycNKaU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
https://youtu.be/T-LegOd8Jxo?si=BppzqH7EFHCLXumo

TWIKE!

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Got this last month but only just learned this thread exists, so here are some recently-new Lyriq AWD Sport 3 pics.

And a walkaround.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Vegetable posted:

There’s a dude on YouTube that reviews only Chinese cars. It’s a really striking reminder of how many good cars the US is getting denied by dumb trade war bullshit. I’d drive this any day.

Jesus Christ look at this behemoth of beauty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRiHvA20WtY

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Hoping the Volvo EM90 minivan comes to NA as well, it looks swank.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

biznatchio posted:

Got this last month but only just learned this thread exists, so here are some recently-new Lyriq AWD Sport 3 pics.

And a walkaround.
I love dark green. I think that's identical, as in package and everything, to my wife's uncle that just received his factory order.

How do you like it?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Got a lead on a buyback 22 bolt with 11k miles for 22k-4k for the rebate. Single owner and clean title, but was a Michigan car... avoid or go for it? Normally I'd avoid rust belt cars but it was only driven there for a year and a few months

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

biznatchio posted:

And a walkaround.

That’s a fantastic color. They really like their twirly knobs in that car.

What’s the knob below the storage console for? And is that blue colored lighted recess hold anything interesting?

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Vegetable posted:

Or how about the HiPhi X, an EV SUV with gullwing roof. The most expensive chinese EV available and apparently a really strong seller too.

The Human Horizons Hiphi X Is Like A Sci-fi Movie Prop You Can Actually Drive - Wheelsboy

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

biznatchio posted:

And a walkaround.

I’m waiting on my lux 3, green on green like yours. Very much looking forward to it, but wow it seems like there are a lot of software issues owners have reported online. Have you had any issues? Some suggest that the latest update the new cars are coming with sorts it all out.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

biznatchio posted:

And a walkaround.

I’m really curious as to how you like this.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Twerk from Home posted:

The Kia/Hyundai hybrids have a DCT and it's not exactly a big win, even though its not quite as bad as Fords DCT... I hope. I own one.

The feeling of downshifting during regen braking is weird as hell, DCTs need more maintenance than Prius-style CVTs, and there's currently a recall where fluid leaks into PCBs can cause fires. I just got the letter that the repair is ready and I need to schedule it.

My understanding is that a lot of the reason the Ford Power shift exists, and why the Koreans are using DCTs in their hybrids, is to avoid patents on CVTs or traditional autos.

I was looking into Hyundai and Kia as possible options if my Prius' battery shits the bed before the redesigned Model Y comes out, but that was a significant turn-off - I like the smooth operation of my Prius' eCVT, as well as having fewer moving parts to worry about.

Vegetable posted:

Cute, but leaving DC fast charging support out of the model with the smaller battery seems like it'd be utterly unacceptable to US customers. For that matter, I've wondered how many Americans would even feel comfortable buying a car from a Chinese company, what with China's reputation for churning out cheap crap.

Though I understand BYD is planning to build a factory in Mexico to build cars for sale in the US, so it looks like we'll find out soon enough. They've also received a permit to test level 3 autonomous driving in China - it'd be fun to see how it stacks up against Tesla and Mercedes.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

Got a lead on a buyback 22 bolt with 11k miles for 22k-4k for the rebate. Single owner and clean title, but was a Michigan car... avoid or go for it? Normally I'd avoid rust belt cars but it was only driven there for a year and a few months

punch it, that’s a great deal and I can’t imagine a year of driving is gonna have rusted out the bottom badly enough to make it not worthwhile if it’s otherwise exactly the car you want

I say this as somebody who owns and drives and has, by necessity, purchased multiple times in New England, so maybe my standards are hosed

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

One winter in Michigan shouldn't mess up a modern car with decent rust proofing that bad, I wouldn't worry much about it.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
The problem with Chinese brand cars is the software and interfaces - they've got the nuts and bolts side of EVs pretty well sorted, but the software is almost universally terrible and not made for non-Asian markets. From what I've seen and read there is nothing anywhere near as polished as Tesla's UI for example

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

slidebite posted:

I love dark green. I think that's identical, as in package and everything, to my wife's uncle that just received his factory order.

How do you like it?

It's been great so far. The Emerald Lake Metallic paint is a really interesting color, it gets a really nice brilliant green in sunlight, but under overcast skies or less light you'd swear it's just black. My dealer told me that GM said my car is the first one off the assembly line in this color; if the other metallic paints look half as good then any of them would be a great option, it really looks fantastic.

My experience pretty much lines up with all the online reviews of the car; except that I think some of the reviews dogged on the suspension more than it deserves -- it's a little bouncy but some reviewers just went over the top complaining about it.

Wayne Knight posted:

I’m waiting on my lux 3, green on green like yours. Very much looking forward to it, but wow it seems like there are a lot of software issues owners have reported online. Have you had any issues? Some suggest that the latest update the new cars are coming with sorts it all out.

The only issue I've had is with CarPlay audio cutting out randomly; but yeah, a lot of people have been having a lot of software issues. I think a large part of the problem is that dealers aren't updating all the modules in the car before delivery, because there are some nasty issues that were fixed back in November that there's still some straggling reports of; and GM now has a standing service policy that dealers should be updating every module in the car if it's ever brought in for service. It's definitely something to double-check with your dealer if you're getting a car that's been sitting on the lot at the plant for a couple months, or if you're buying a down-level trim that was produced before November because probably the worst case scenario is that your car still has the issue that causes the 12V battery to drain, which effectively immobilizes the vehicle until it gets towed to a dealer to reset everything.

Ubiquitus posted:

What’s the knob below the storage console for? And is that blue colored lighted recess hold anything interesting?

On the center console? The big knob is a rotary wheel to do hands-free scrolling through the infotainment system (it also clicks down to 'select') just as an alternative to reaching up and using the touchscreen -- I think that's a common feature in all recent Cadillacs. Above the knob are some buttons (to jump to the music screen, the nav screen, etc.); and then above that is a volume wheel that also clicks-to-mute. All the knobs on the dashboard control vents. There's a slide-out jewel box underneath the climate controls in the center, and then under that is the blue recess, which is just an empty space to stash stuff (and has a USB-C port).

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Elviscat posted:

One winter in Michigan shouldn't mess up a modern car with decent rust proofing that bad, I wouldn't worry much about it.

A future truck, on the other hand,

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.

Elviscat posted:

Turns out I'm taking a 20% efficiency hit, and getting 2.7mi/kWh instead of 3.4, just from pumping all the water out of the tire grooves when it's really rainy.

How much would it improve if you drive off the grooves. I assume it would be also safer having less water in the tires. I avoid the grooves just because they increase tire noise so significantly.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

cruft posted:

I just looked into this yesterday. It seems like your best bet is charging to 50% and then never using the car.

according to a guy that reviews evs, my e-golf charged to 100 everynight on ac for years has barely done any battery degradation, and that is on the smaller battery pre-2017 version, as the car 100% os actually less than 100%.
so i wouldn't worry about it unless you are only fully 100% charging on dc

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I thought all non-Tesla EVs had a buffer at the top so people didn’t have to janitor their batteries?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ROFLBOT posted:

The problem with Chinese brand cars is the software and interfaces - they've got the nuts and bolts side of EVs pretty well sorted, but the software is almost universally terrible and not made for non-Asian markets. From what I've seen and read there is nothing anywhere near as polished as Tesla's UI for example

I like the videos I see where they excitedly advertise a full Windows PC as the infotainment system

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Wayne Knight posted:

I thought all non-Tesla EVs had a buffer at the top so people didn’t have to janitor their batteries?

They do, some people want to be janitors anyway though

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Saukkis posted:

How much would it improve if you drive off the grooves. I assume it would be also safer having less water in the tires. I avoid the grooves just because they increase tire noise so significantly.

I mean, I am 100% avoiding the grooves as much as possible without going over the lane markings, but sometimes there's just water everywhere.

167 south is particularly bad.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
A few seconds with Google reveals that the Cybertruck uses 301 stainless steel (as does Starship, for what it's worth). Which isn't the worst choice in terms of corrosion resistance, but not great for something that could get covered in salt.

Wayne Knight posted:

Buffer at the top? Do you mean capping the charge below 100%? I've only ever heard of that being done on the Volt.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Elviscat posted:

I mean, I am 100% avoiding the grooves as much as possible without going over the lane markings, but sometimes there's just water everywhere.

167 south is particularly bad.

167 aka the drag strip, with the pavement bouncy that feels like a trampoline, when I go to auburn and don't mind the extra 10 minutes I take 181 from Tukwila to kent to avoid most of it, or i-5 if its unclogged and 18.

Cockmaster posted:

A few seconds with Google reveals that the Cybertruck uses 301 stainless steel (as does Starship, for what it's worth). Which isn't the worst choice in terms of corrosion resistance, but not great for something that could get covered in salt.

Buffer at the top? Do you mean capping the charge below 100%? I've only ever heard of that being done on the Volt.

most do, I know mine doesn't let you really fully charge it if you check its battery in obd and doesn't let you fully use the battery too as it is meant as a buffer.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

ROFLBOT posted:

This is true of my MG4. The software is the only thing I don't like about it. And it would be much less of an issue, if they turned on the OTA updates (which are provided for). There are regular updates, but you can only get them via a dealer in Aus, and the service frequency is every two years.

On the other hand, it includes CarPlay and AA, so it doesn't matter too much for the non-car stuff.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Cockmaster posted:

No, it's pretty much a standard feature with EVs to improve the endurance of the battery. Some manufacturers even publish separate gross and net/usable capacity numbers for the battery.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Tesla's buffer is at the bottom, but it isn't large or consistent. All of them in reasonable health will drive through 0%, but they will be unable to attain highway speeds and may force shutdown at any time.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Cool, gonna keep not caring what I charge up to knowing the owner-facing 100% is really like an 87% or something.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

ROFLBOT posted:

The software on the Atto 3 seems fine to me, the only really weak point is the built in nav (but who uses that anyway?)

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
GM recommends in their manuals for Ultium vehicles to only charge to 80% routinely unless you're going to be doing a longer trip to "help promote battery health". The difference between total and usable capacity is only like 4% too; which isn't enough headroom for a "100%" charge to be a long-term healthy charge amount.

So long story short, read your vehicle's manual and do whatever it says to do.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

biznatchio posted:

It's been great so far. The Emerald Lake Metallic paint is a really interesting color, it gets a really nice brilliant green in sunlight, but under overcast skies or less light you'd swear it's just black. My dealer told me that GM said my car is the first one off the assembly line in this color; if the other metallic paints look half as good then any of them would be a great option, it really looks fantastic.

My experience pretty much lines up with all the online reviews of the car; except that I think some of the reviews dogged on the suspension more than it deserves -- it's a little bouncy but some reviewers just went over the top complaining about it.

The only issue I've had is with CarPlay audio cutting out randomly; but yeah, a lot of people have been having a lot of software issues. I think a large part of the problem is that dealers aren't updating all the modules in the car before delivery, because there are some nasty issues that were fixed back in November that there's still some straggling reports of; and GM now has a standing service policy that dealers should be updating every module in the car if it's ever brought in for service. It's definitely something to double-check with your dealer if you're getting a car that's been sitting on the lot at the plant for a couple months, or if you're buying a down-level trim that was produced before November because probably the worst case scenario is that your car still has the issue that causes the 12V battery to drain, which effectively immobilizes the vehicle until it gets towed to a dealer to reset everything.

On the center console? The big knob is a rotary wheel to do hands-free scrolling through the infotainment system

Do you control the knob with your mind because all the knobs I’ve manipulated have definitely required a hand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

bird with big dick posted:

Do you control the knob with your mind because all the knobs I’ve manipulated have definitely required a hand

Mouth knob control