Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Sab669 posted:

Do different ground mounts run at different speeds? Or flying mounts or sea mounts for that matter. Like if I already have a Direhowl Saddle, any reason to make an Arsox Saddle?

And is there any way to automate Ore production?

Arsox definitely slower than Direhowl, so Blue Rarity does not mean Faster Than Green Rarity.
But it does act as a source of Light which is sorta neat I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Oh my god there are variant Pals

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Did it really take until this game to have an indie game with not-Pokemon but be good and fun (for an indie 'mons-like) because the game is running away with it here.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Anyone found a faster ground mount than the purple deer? Finally have a couple decent flying pals so I can start comparing some of them speed wise.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
There's been a good handful of other monster battlers that got decently popular, I think they were also all turn based RPGs though.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Anyone found a faster ground mount than the purple deer? Finally have a couple decent flying pals so I can start comparing some of them speed wise.

Direhowl is the fastest runner I've found so far.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
There are a few good Pokémon alternatives but this isn't really that imo. I like Coromon for a turn based JRPG imitation. This is different altogether.

I almost got blown up by several very upset fire foxes. Stole their friend though! My progress is very slow but I'm loving it. Need to find a pal who will do planting for me. Maybe the flower dragon though I haven't seen her for a bit.

I might restart to relocate my base but I gather you can have multiple anyway so maybe not.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Does anyone know the maximum guild size if you are running on a dedicated server? (Steam obviously).

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

You definitely want multiple bases and you can instantly transport between them.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

HopperUK posted:

There are a few good Pokémon alternatives but this isn't really that imo. I like Coromon for a turn based JRPG imitation. This is different altogether.

I almost got blown up by several very upset fire foxes. Stole their friend though! My progress is very slow but I'm loving it. Need to find a pal who will do planting for me. Maybe the flower dragon though I haven't seen her for a bit.

I might restart to relocate my base but I gather you can have multiple anyway so maybe not.

Yeah the flower dragon that wanders around the default starting position is far and away the best farmer/planter you’ll find for a while. Pair them with a couple of penguins and a hauler and your base has a self-sufficient food production system.

I found a lightning variant of the plant dragon and she rips. Much worse in terms of base skills though.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

drat, I just realized that building/crafting pulls mats from nearby(?) storage. Just gonna dump everything into chests.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

As far as I can tell it pulls from any storage anywhere in the base area. It's great.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

i cant believe this poo poo is good lol. but it is somehow. that said who designed these dumbass dungeons? theyre terrible, but at least you can reroll the boss over and over

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

SettingSun posted:

As far as I can tell it pulls from any storage anywhere in the base area. It's great.

great except it also seems to pull from locked chests as well... better keep those ancient parts and souls in your inv at all times

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Fenglope is by far the fastest I've found so far, and it can double jump.

You can find it as a boss around level 28, and you need level 26 to craft the saddle.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
On the game pass version I am hitting an access violation (nullptr exception) error, and was unable to mitigate using ANY of the steps I found online. Notably, it still crashed when I went over to my xbox and tried to play on there, leading me to believe that there is some bad state in my profile. Notably the crash will occur even if I sit at the main menu, or load a new save. So the issue isn't with a save game necessarily.

Things I tried that didn't help:
* Updated graphics drivers
* Changed graphics settings to the minimum, switched to Windowed mode
* Verified and repaired game files
* Reinstalled the game completely
* Installed the game on my xbox and tried to play there instead

Anyone have any ideas on how to mitigate? I was having a blast playing it and I want to keep going but at this point it looks like I might be waiting for the next patch.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

I bumped my carry weight to 1000 with no detours and it's the best decision I could have made.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Has anyone had any luck finding wheat seeds? I need 3 of them to make a plantation to start growing more but I only have 2.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

HopperUK posted:

At your rate it'll be a while before you get your 2nd base, and by the time you do you'll have a whole bunch of stuff you won't wanna move. Definitely move your base now if you're feeling like it. I've got a really developed base in a spot I'm not that happy with and it almost makes me want to start over after 16 hours of gameplay.

I tried making an ideal 2nd base in a place I liked, but I really don't know how to make a good base- I tried finding a flat area and putting up walls around it, but the pals seem to have pathing issues with just the walls. I'd be interested to see examples of efficient functioning bases, if anyone's managed to make such a thing.

Eventually I gave up and am using that 2nd base for a bunch of ranches- light materials I can just go and pick up every now and then even if they build up to obscene quantities. I found a few of those cute black cats with gold jewelry in a dungeon and they just chill and make coins for me so I get a few thousand every time I visit, lol.

I really should have made an ore mining base for my 2nd. Might abandon my cat ranch. Does anyone know when you get a third base?

Fajita Queen posted:

Has anyone had any luck finding wheat seeds? I need 3 of them to make a plantation to start growing more but I only have 2.
You can buy them from merchants if you find one of those, or kill the big meganium looking dragon plant guys that are kind of rare near the starting area.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Fajita Queen posted:

The wandering merchant as well as the permanent settlement merchant both sell the seeds. Otherwise you can get them from Dinossum's (hard to find) or Flopie's (far Northwest of the starting cave).

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Is Catch Rate more reliable if you look directly at the ball, or am I imagining some Down+B bullshit here?

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Croccers posted:

Is Catch Rate more reliable if you look directly at the ball, or am I imagining some Down+B bullshit here?

A watched explosion never boils legally distinct pokepals

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Croccers posted:

There's a bonus for hitting them in the back.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
https://twitter.com/Palworld_EN/status/1749047519265632440

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I hate how if I’m in melee combat my pal spheres seem to go right through the target or disappear or something. makes it a lot harder to avoid my group pals killing it before I can get to a safe distance and fire

Jedrick
Mar 21, 2010

:420: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Smoke weed every day.
:420:
Electrifying a pal also gives a solid catch boost, either with an electric pal attack or the stun rod.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

isndl posted:

There's a bonus for hitting them in the back.
Nah, Back Bonus is mentioned.
I mean making low % captures when pointing the crosshairs right at the ball as it's floating.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

woke kaczynski posted:

There's been a good handful of other monster battlers that got decently popular, I think they were also all turn based RPGs though.

That's the real difference. Since I was a child I've wanted a Pokémon game that focuses primarily on letting you hang out with the mons, with battling given a lesser, but still significant, priority. Pokémon has done some effort towards that, with stuff like contests and camp/picnic, but those just don't do enough to scratch that itch, partly because they're modes that are extremely separated from everything else, but especially because the lack of animations make them feel too artificial. But Palworld has really good animation work - pals have animations for sleeping, taking a bath, holding a hammer, etc., and their expressions change to show how depressed/happy they are. And since it's not a separate mode, you can go off to do other things and come back with everyone still plugging away right where you left them. It's not exactly what I've always wanted, but it's definitely working for me more than anything else ever has.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I've found this to be useful for under 30 useful Pals.
It particularly mentions finding mounts with the Swift trait which adds +30% to its already fast speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgPHV3Ci4mk

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

lmao amazing, how on Earth does the game work as well as it does

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

HopperUK posted:

It is very easy to relocate your base since deconstruct (B for build then C) gives you everything back. You can even deconstruct your base from the world map if you are exploring and found the perfect spot to plop down right away

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

I hate how if I’m in melee combat my pal spheres seem to go right through the target or disappear or something. makes it a lot harder to avoid my group pals killing it before I can get to a safe distance and fire

This is easily my biggest frustration, hah.

I've mostly learned to back up first. And then I crafted the Spear and that keeps you a bit further away too.

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!

Pigbuster posted:

lmao amazing, how on Earth does the game work as well as it does

It’s bizarre and hilarious that this is like the inverse of Cyberpunk or Starfield somehow

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

My pals for some reason won't use the mounted crossbow even though they have handiwork and I've fixed their assignment. They just jump off as soon as a raid happens and do their regular attacks.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

HopperUK posted:

From early options this guy will handle planting for you.

If you venture a bit to the beach you'll find some pals who will also handle your watering needs. Depresso and Tombat will mine and the big deer will chop wood. My starting base is pretty much self sufficient already, I just need to gather some fire organs to make the new tech and maybe update my gear finally (still rocking starting items, but I hear ya'll about the badness of melee stuff in response to my earlier questions)

I cannot believe the option to craft from storage is so rare in these kinds of games. It should be a drat standard and not an anomaly! That and good snapping alone makes this better than 90% of CURSE games.

I haven't managed to explore much but I think I'll make a second base as soon as I unlock one, I think I'm still at 1 base at the palbox.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 21, 2024

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!
I didn’t know I wanted craft from storage in Ark until I realized I could craft from storage in this game. It’s such a no brainer quality of life thing that I can’t believe I never thought of it

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Lt. Cock posted:

It’s bizarre and hilarious that this is like the inverse of Cyberpunk or Starfield somehow

To me its like the polar opposite of payday 3's abysmal launch and also being a "I'm sorry that 2023 ended on The Day Before, will this make it up to you?" type of thing and good on the devs for not loving up

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Lt. Cock posted:

I didn’t know I wanted craft from storage in Ark until I realized I could craft from storage in this game. It’s such a no brainer quality of life thing that I can’t believe I never thought of it

It's one of the things you've been able to do with modded minecraft for like a decade now and other games are just now (well, in the last few years) starting to catch on.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

This world is huge and the introductory respawns cover a very small slice of it. I just took my swimming mount on an extended journey and found crazy stuff in areas I don't think I could have reached any other way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Pretty sure I have died multiple times now from trying to glide across a water area only to fall in with no stamina.
Which equals a slow death.