Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWKebPO-s0M

Steam Page: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1623730/Palworld/

Release date: 01/19/24

Price: USD 29.99 (10% off - USD 26.99 for the first week after release)

What is this?

Palworld is an early access game that combines a bunch of different genres and systems seen in previous games. It's an open world, survival, building, shooting, farming, factory and monster collecting/breeding game. With multiplater. You can explore, catch monsters, use them as weapons, slave labor, or slave labor to manufacture weapons. You can also kill and eat your little monster friends if you get too hungry. I have seen this game referred to as "If Pokemon were invented by Americans."

More info from the Steam page:

Survival
In a harsh environment where food is scarce and vicious poachers roam, danger waits around every corner. To survive, you must tread carefully and make difficult choices...even if that means eating your own Pals when the time comes.

Mounts & Exploration
Pals can be mounted to traverse the land, sea and sky—allowing you to traverse all kinds of environment as you explore the world.

Building Structures
Want to build a pyramid? Put an army of Pals on the job. Don't worry; there are no labor laws for Pals.

Production
Make use of Pals and their skills to make fire, generate electricity, or mine ore so that you can live a life of comfort.

Farming
Some Pals are good at planting seeds, while others are skilled at watering or harvesting crops. Work together with your Pals to create an idyllic farmstead.

Factories & Automation
Letting Pals do the work is the key to automation. Build a factory, place a Pal in it, and they'll keep working as long as they're fed—until they're dead, that is.

Dungeon Exploration
With Pals on your side you can tackle even the most dangerous areas. When the time comes, you might have to sacrifice one to save your skin. They'll protect your life—even if it costs their own.

Breeding & Genetics
Breed a Pal and it will inherit the characteristics of its parents. Combine rare pals to create the strongest Pal of them all!

Poaching & Crime
Endangered Pals live in wildlife sanctuaries. Sneak in and capture rare Pals to get rich quick! It's not a crime if you don't get caught, after all.

Multiplayer
Multiplayer is supported, so invite a friend and go on an adventure together! And of course you can battle your friends and trade Pals, too.

IGN Review: https://www.ign.com/articles/palworld-early-access-review

Many people who saw this when it was announced a year or more ago rightfully though it was either a scam, a bunch of bullshots or feature creep waiting to happen so there hasn't been a lot of hype, however preliminary reviews from people who have played it prior to release are quite favorable and those who have watched streams seem to be pretty impressed by what they've seen, particularly with how well fleshed out the game is for an early access title. As insane as it sounds, it seems like the mishmash of genres somehow coalesce into an enjoyable experience. With around 20 minutes from this post, the game will release and we'll find out.

Additional Info:

Roadmap:

GAME TIPS:

Diephoon posted:

Having a base full of Pals doing work feels great! I built on some ruins because I thought it would be cool but it is loving with their pathfinding. I would suggest making your base somewhere flat and spacious. Your beds need to be under a roof but it seems like everything else doesn't. You can fast travel directly to and from your base terminal so you don't need to place your base near a fast travel point.

e: Tried doing a beds inside, workshops upstairs on the roof setup and they workstations are getting ignored. Maybe best to just do everything on the ground for now?

Javid posted:

As soon as I realized each Cativa (lol) in my party gives me +50 carry weight I crammed 5 of them in there and never looked back

Breeding Guide: https://www.reddit.com/r/Palworld/comments/19d98ws/spreadsheet_all_breeding_combinations_datamined/

Dox023 posted:

There are several good breeding calculators, it’s mostly personal preference at this point.

https://www.palpedia.net/breeding

https://palworld.kimpton.io

https://genshinlab.com/palworld-breeding-combos-calculator/

Gyoru posted:

How to make a lot of Gold

Manufacturing:
- Nails sell for 160g. 1 ingot produces 2 nails. 300 nails sell for 48k, 600 nails sell for 96k, etc. Use the money to fuel your cake factory

Super Mau Ranching:
- Maus and Mau Crysts passively generate Gold at a Ranch. Breed candidate Maus with all the work speed traits (Artisan, Lucky, Work Slave, extra slot) then condense fodder Maus into a super Mau to level its passive to level 4. Repeat. You can dedicate an entire base to Ranching if you want.

:capitalism:

The Pal Vixy has a passive that will allow them to dig up items when out in your base. These items can range from basic Pal balls which can be very useful early on to arrows, which can save having to craft them.

pentyne posted:

Huge Mining Nodes

Ore/Coal (requires rank 3 pal mining for coal)
6 huge coal nodes and 6 ore nodes
188, -35

Sulfur (requires 2 ranks of heat protection)
5 huge nodes right next to a fast travel tower
-596, -523

Quartz(requires refined ore pickaxe, 2 ranks of cold protection, 3 ranks at night)
-145, 575
7 huge nodes

Also, since some of these are pretty far from the starting areas, this is an extremely good ore base for early game.
157, -410
7-8 huge nodes, it's also on a plateau only accessible by drawbridge so raids are a piece of cake

If there's anything you think should be in this OP, mention it in the thread and I'll add it.

Mr Scumbag fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

This game is actually good? It sounds like a game that an 8 year old would make up when they're describing a cool game idea they made up. Those game ideas are admittedly always cool though.

Zet
Aug 3, 2010
After watching some reviews, very curious how this'll shake up.

If nothing else, my pipe dream is that it'll be an easy to mod game and let folks mod in their own 3d monsters for collecting...

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

English Q&A: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vR-lb9R2fh-IVK870PL82U071i-9-C_Y7YyroUN8EoD_34rbpKQzjsCejCHRb4XMGncY9HkI0OxQv1F/pub

Dedicated Server Guide: https://tech.palworldgame.com/dedicated-server-guide

Blankspace
Dec 13, 2006
so just to make sure i'm not missing anything, from what I can tell this is basically set in a big survival sandbox & the only structures & non-hostile npcs that you'll run into are those built/caught by you or other players, right? there's no npcs or towns or story or anything? and none of that stuff planned?

this is basically like a very early Ark but with Pal-e-mon to automate boring stuff, from what I could tell from gameplay

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Thanks, added to OP.

Zet posted:

After watching some reviews, very curious how this'll shake up.

If nothing else, my pipe dream is that it'll be an easy to mod game and let folks mod in their own 3d monsters for collecting...

From the Q&A:

Steam Workshop support won't be supported straight away but we plan to add it after launch. Palworld is made in Unreal Engine 5 and we look forward to seeing what sort of mods people come up with!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Blankspace posted:

this is basically like a very early Ark but with Pal-e-mon to automate boring stuff, from what I could tell from gameplay

I’ve heard it described as Ark but with Pokémon’s from multiple different people reviewing the game.

Also if anyone is curious the game runs pretty ok on the deck. I wish it had FSR and not just DLSS but it’s definitely a locked 30fps but I think with some tweaks it could be a locked 40 on the deck.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Blankspace posted:

so just to make sure i'm not missing anything, from what I can tell this is basically set in a big survival sandbox & the only structures & non-hostile npcs that you'll run into are those built/caught by you or other players, right? there's no npcs or towns or story or anything? and none of that stuff planned?

I've seen at least one person find a small settlement with NPCs wandering around and stores to buy things (including Pals). No idea if there's any actual cities or anything like that, though.

There's also wandering merchants who'll show up at your base occasionally to sell stuff.

As for story there's something about beating Syndicate bosses holed up in towers, and a vague message about a tree at the very start of the game, but I haven't seen anything other than that.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

I’ve heard it described as Ark but with Pokémon’s from multiple different people reviewing the game.

Also if anyone is curious the game runs pretty ok on the deck. I wish it had FSR and not just DLSS but it’s definitely a locked 30fps but I think with some tweaks it could be a locked 40 on the deck.

Played for a couple hours and it is very ark except it doesn't hate you. Catching pals is just a matter of beating them up and then lobbing a pokeball instead of bizarre process of babysitting a drugged out dino for multiple hours. The blueprint unlocking, leveling, and structure building is identical to ark but leveling is fast and you get a higher percentage of the blueprints each level. The pals are smart about picking up tasks without you having to micromanage them. You can have a certain number of pals deployed to your base that grows with base level and there's a set of like 20 task types that they can do, with different species capable of different task types. They spot and pick up tasks on their own seamlessly so once you start to get your base going it's pretty easy to just plop like a half-finished building down and let your pokemons finish building it.

Overall the beginning of the game is not very much about catching pokemon, arming them with guns, and then going hog wild, it's pretty much the same as the beginning of ark except you can start using pokemon for labor IMMEDIATELY instead of having to work up to it over a long period of time and it feels pretty drat good.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Yeah, it's less "haha funny pokemon warcrimes" and more "what's the logical conclusion of a world like the pokemon anime".

Why can't my pokemon help me do chores? They can.
Why don't Team Rocket just shoot people to take their pokemon? They do.
Do pokeballs work on humans? Yep, they sure do!
If we keep reading about people eating pokemon, why can't I? You can if you want/need to.
And so on.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Oh also all Pokemon have a randomized set of passive abilities that are 100% random so I got a chicken that has +10% dark attack damage and I got a cat with 4 different synergistic passives that make him the ideal miner

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Well the first things I've noticed is that this is a PC game that assumes that no one will be playing it with a mouse and keyboard and as such there is no way to rebind any buttons on the mouse and not even mouse sensitivity settings. (The default sensitivity is way too low.) Edit: Discovered that mouse sensitivity settings are under "Game Settings" > "Keyboard Settings". For some reason. Mouse buttons are still not possible to rebind without third part software.

30 seconds into the game it tells me that "B" is the build key. It works, however there is no "Build key" or any function assigned to the "B" key in the bindings menu. It would seem that a bunch of the keys are likely hardcoded and not re-bindable at all at this point. Maybe an .ini or .cfg edit. Edit: To add to this, some keys have multiple context sensitive functions, for example the "F" key is your primary interact key as well as a rebindable key for other functions, however it is hardcoded to interact. Sucks for people who prefer "E" as interact.

Motion blur persists even when turned off. This is a borderline dealbreaker for me and from what I've read over the past decade, for a lot of other people. Probably a way to nuke it with an .ini edit, I hope.

Every single graphical setting you change apparently requires a restart to apply. Including anti aliasing. Surely this can't be true. There also aren't a lot of graphics settings to fine tune for optimal performance. Edit: This doesn't seem to be true, it just tells you that "Some settings may require a restart" no matter what settings you change or whether you change anything at all.

I haven't actually played the game yet because I'm still working on fixing these limitations with autohotkey, .ini edits and my mouse's software to change DPI to fix the extremely low sensitivity, but this is some pretty lazy poo poo and I'm a bit annoyed, to be honest. These are issues that every developer should be acutely aware of if they ever actually play games themselves.

If you play with a controller and love motion blur, you can jump right in though.

Edit: Hopefully all of this will be fixed quickly since it should be fairly trivial. Which is why it shouldn't really be an issue to begin with.

Mr Scumbag fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jan 19, 2024

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I can absolutely do all those things with the Gamepass version and there’s totally mouse sensitivity settings because yes, the default speed is like moving through molasses. Weird.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Bussamove posted:

I can absolutely do all those things with the Gamepass version and there’s totally mouse sensitivity settings because yes, the default speed is like moving through molasses. Weird.

That's bizarre... I'm on Steam. Here's a screenshot of my control settings:

That's all of the keyboard settings. There don't appear to be more since I've tried scrolling with arrow keys and mouse wheel.

Edit: Okay, I can see I was being blind with regard to mouse sensitivity. It's in "Game Settings" under the "Keyboard" subheading for some bizarre reason. But all of the binding issues seems the same.

Edit 2: For anyone wanting to disable motion blur, go to:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Pal\Saved\Config\Windows

Then open Engine.ini. Scroll to the end of the file, leave a blank line, then paste this:

code:
[SystemSettings]
r.MotionBlur.Max=0
r.MotionBlurQuality=0
r.DefaultFeature.MotionBlur=0
Then save the file and set it as read only.

Mr Scumbag fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jan 19, 2024

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

How is the co op?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
saw palworld was trending and there were a fair number of posts claiming the devs are into NFTs and AI so it's good that they're nipping that in the bud right quick

https://twitter.com/vintiru/status/1748225230043279638

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Having a base full of Pals doing work feels great! I built on some ruins because I thought it would be cool but it is loving with their pathfinding. I would suggest making your base somewhere flat and spacious. Your beds need to be under a roof but it seems like everything else doesn't. You can fast travel directly to and from your base terminal so you don't need to place your base near a fast travel point.

e: Tried doing a beds inside, workshops upstairs on the roof setup and they workstations are getting ignored. Maybe best to just do everything on the ground for now?

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jan 19, 2024

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I gave this the 1€ gamepass try and underneath the UE5 default/asset flip/pokemon ripoff aesthetic and general jank is a surprisingly fun game. A couple of hours in, the exploration is pretty interesting, you want to look for new pals to round out your team and camp, find fast travel points and dungeons and bump into new resources. Keep catching new pals and copies of old pals to level up and unlock tech to build new stuff that completes your missions and levels up your camp so you can fit in more pals to work the buildings you unlocked and so on. The manual resource gathering and storage is a bit tedious but as far as I can tell the crafting lets you pull from storage, not just inventory, and getting better tools and automating resource generation feels good. The quickly increasing complexity of more and more resources and buildings is a little exhausting and I'm starting to regret building my base up on the cramped hill near the beginning. Overall I'm positively surprised since I went in expecting shovelware.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah I'm surprised that it's not a complete trainwreck out the gate. response has been really positive.

also, it's already a massive success, and this is just on steam. I'm sure on gamepass it's also doing numbers.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Can I play this co-op without a dedicated server? I haven't been able to try it yet to see if there's a direct join option like through Xbox/Steam or if you need to join a server to play with others.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

explosivo posted:

Can I play this co-op without a dedicated server? I haven't been able to try it yet to see if there's a direct join option like through Xbox/Steam or if you need to join a server to play with others.

I'm pretty sure you can do up to 4 players with just an invite code

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

junan_paalla posted:

I'm pretty sure you can do up to 4 players with just an invite code

Neat, thanks!

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Honestly I went in Gamepass expecting some total jank, but I have to echo a lot of others here, it felt surprisingly fun and I think I'm gonna have to buy it as well. Making the pals work for you was really easy and smooth. Dunno how much content there is (they are warning it's EA, after all) but as an avid player of CURSEd games (Crafting SURvival Early access) I think I can handle some. There's some funny jank like game not having an option to exit the game, have to Alt+F4 (but easy to fix). Game itself looks very familiar if you ever played this kind of stuff.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
The elements lifted directly from Zelda feel weird lol.

Also, the one Pal that sounds exactly like a kitten is off-putting to me. Like, it sounds like they sampled a week old kitten.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

https://x.com/palworld_en/status/1748378179134427304?s=46&t=DvvqeOcggle6VW8Wu5D9WA

I have faith they are gonna iron out all the kinks

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Countdown until they announce they are putting all resources towards a sequel.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

This game has a strange amount of hype and buzz. It looks like an ARK clone with legally distinct not-Pokemon lmao. But it's on Gamepass so lots of people are going to be trying it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’d probably avoid the gamepass version right now. It seems to be kinda hosed.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

SettingSun posted:

This game has a strange amount of hype and buzz. It looks like an ARK clone with legally distinct not-Pokemon lmao. But it's on Gamepass so lots of people are going to be trying it.

I haven't tried it yet, but it looks like it scratches that harvest moon / rune factory itch mixed with a healthy dose of digital cock fighting.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
For a game with a lot of ideas lifted straight from ARK / BoTW / Pokemon it seems to mash everything together really successfully.

Who knew there would be a gigantic market for open world survival pokemon game that doesn't run like poo poo?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

MarcusSA posted:

I’d probably avoid the gamepass version right now. It seems to be kinda hosed.

What's wrong with the GP version?

Zet
Aug 3, 2010
At the very least, the GP version does not support the dedicated server stuff for the > 4 player fun: https://dotesports.com/palworld/news/palworld-wont-have-dedicated-multiplayer-servers-on-xbox-but-devs-are-fighting-for-it

Not sure about the other stuff

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Early game tip: find a Vixy and put it to work in the ranch They dig up spheres and arrows for free

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm constantly getting an error trying to start multiplayer server (steam) but I would assume I can always start it later if we're actually gonna MP.

I love the cheerful lamball faces when they craft me weapons. From what I had time to play, I need to build stuff that is behind a level in my base computer, but the tutorial wants me to build those to level up?? Unless I can level up in some other way.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Vakal posted:

I haven't tried it yet, but it looks like it scratches that harvest moon / rune factory itch mixed with a healthy dose of digital cock fighting.

The latter part has to wait for the steam workshop release

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
You get a bunch of experience for catching pals. At least for the first 10 you catch of each type. I think it's the fastest way to level up.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kaddish posted:

What's wrong with the GP version?

Graphic options not working correctly

Can’t change the characters name

No exit button lol

I’m sure there are others.

It’s probably a cert issue so they are waiting for MS to approve a patch

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I cannot get my roof to align property :argh: :argh: :argh:

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Didn't know what to expect buying this game but i've been enjoying it. Had a few crashes but the game seemed to autosave when I had to crash out so I never lost any progress which is quite nice.

I'm the psycho who see's 100 berries and goes...yes. I'll cook them all for easy xp and it totally works. Got 2 levels just from burning up berries for my sla....uh. Pets to eat.

Some of the beast you can tame are pretty drat strong and drat near 1 shot some enemies which is quite handy to have. Did a dungeon and about to hit the tower. Fun times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Fl.ux was on so the lighting is hosed but-

I loaded in and was a woman for about 30 seconds before my actual character loaded in.