Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

big mean giraffe posted:

Isnt your food going to be cold and lovely after 20 minutes walking back with it?

Thai never seems to be.

I always wonder how DoorDash or Uber can ever not be cold. If you're getting McDonalds delivered, is it ever hot when it arrives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
i want my food hot and fresh out the kitchen like that r k*lly song

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

dreezy posted:

i want my food hot and fresh out the kitchen like that r k*lly song

I think that was piss

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

is pepsi ok posted:

Yeah it's this. Whenever a company doesn't want to deal with you or doesn't want you to do something they force you to call because they know they can turn that into a huge pain in the rear end designed to make you give up (i swear if I have to listen to another automated voice tell me to listen carefully to the options as they have recently changed....)

It should be straight up illegal for a company to force you to call to cancel a service. Literally everything with a recurring payment should be required to have a one step cancellation button on their site.

Xbox live use to not have a way to cancel online.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

big mean giraffe posted:

Isnt your food going to be cold and lovely after 20 minutes walking back with it?

Getting it delivered is always going to be even slower unless you're tipping like 50 bucks to get to the front of the queue.

I pick up because I'm not paying 16 dollars for someone to deliver my food unless they're also going to bus my table and bring me drink refills.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
delivery incurs the laziness tax and that tax is usually around 20$ more than it would cost to get it yourself (sometimes more and also depends how generous of a tipper you are. it shocked me to find most people hit $0)

the food arrives somewhere between lukewarm and warm on average. same rules for any carry out apply: some things travel better than others. you can pay an extra fee on top of the ~20$ (usually like 2-3$) to jump to the front of the line. drivers usually doing multiples at a time

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

euphronius posted:

Sometimes you can also go to a restaurant and eat inside of it.
We are in the biggest COVID wave since omicron

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

mawarannahr posted:

We are in the biggest COVID wave since omicron

covid waves keep getting shittier for no good reason

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

the og covid wave was epic. now? shrinkflation has robbed us of so much of the luster. getting barely a cough and nary any sign of respiratory or pulmonary distress. sad

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
The toilet paper shortage was exciting, like a dangerous treasure hunt almost. There’s nothing like that now

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

thathonkey posted:

delivery incurs the laziness tax and that tax is usually around 20$ more than it would cost to get it yourself (sometimes more and also depends how generous of a tipper you are. it shocked me to find most people hit $0)

the food arrives somewhere between lukewarm and warm on average. same rules for any carry out apply: some things travel better than others. you can pay an extra fee on top of the ~20$ (usually like 2-3$) to jump to the front of the line. drivers usually doing multiples at a time

Why would you tip when there's a huge delivery fee? The whole point of a delivery fee is that business are responsible for paying their employees.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Cerekk posted:

business are responsible for paying their employees.

LMAO get a load of this goon

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I'm sick of show synopsis and episode synopsis that are so vague to the point of worthlessness.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I honestly prefer that, because I'd rather go in mostly blind. If I really want to know, I google for a more detailed summary.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Nettle Soup posted:

I honestly prefer that, because I'd rather go in mostly blind. If I really want to know, I google for a more detailed summary.

I tend to look at synopsis to be able to identify the episode/if it's a show I want to watch. if it's so vague I can't do that then it's pointless.

quote:

Gary is an emotional wreck and struggles to provide for his daughter since the death of his wife. Mary has a secret she can't bring herself to share with anyone. The universe brought these two together for a reason.

Ohhhhh a secret how exciting what could it be!

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Just got off a United flight and couldn't wait to share this with y'all: you can no longer purchase snacks or drinks using archaic methods such as "handing the flight attendant cash" or "using a credit card". Now you must install the United app (which doesn't work) using the plane's wifi (which costs money and usually doesn't work), then add a credit card to the app (which never actually saves your card because gently caress you), then tell the flight attendant the name on your account so they can look it up (which also rarely works because the wifi is so poo poo). All of this while stuffed into an "economy plus seat" which costs extra but is literally just a regular exit row seat that costs $170 extra per person. I never got my snack.

loving :lol:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Time_pants posted:

Just stop ordering delivery imo

I've used door dash/grub hub maybe two or three times ever during the first 2 years of the pandemic. Even then it was expensive as poo poo. So yeah, if a place doesn't have their own drivers (very very very few places here do) I just don't get delivery. So I basically have two local pizza places (the chains too) available and the only Chinese that did delivery just closed a week or so ago after a few decades because the owners retired.

gently caress those services.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Cerekk posted:

Why would you tip when there's a huge delivery fee? The whole point of a delivery fee is that business are responsible for paying their employees.

because the delivery fee isnt going to the drivers. all of the fees are completely opaque. one category is usually just called "taxes and other fees" i have no idea how much is actually going to the drivers per order but im sure its not enough. at least they claim all of the tip goes them so personally that is why i do it

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
I think that delivery should be a service only provided for the elderly, disabled, people with mobility issues or are unable to leave their house, etc.

If you're able bodied, just pick your food up yourself you lazy bastard.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Outpost22 posted:

I think that delivery should be a service only provided for the elderly, disabled, people with mobility issues or are unable to leave their house, etc.

I drink a lot and if I ever get delivery, it's probably past 10pm. Maybe you could blow into a breathalyzer to qualify for delivery services.

But now delivery is so expensive I never really get it. I can afford it, but I'm very frugal and don't like paying for unjustified expenses like "delivery fee" and "other fees".

I usually make sure I have something ready to eat by time I'm hosed up late at night. Usually I'll go out and get a big sub during the day and eat half that night and half the next. And I'm trying to cook more finally. I used to quite a bit but sadbrains.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Just got off a United flight and couldn't wait to share this with y'all: you can no longer purchase snacks or drinks using archaic methods such as "handing the flight attendant cash" or "using a credit card". Now you must install the United app (which doesn't work) using the plane's wifi (which costs money and usually doesn't work), then add a credit card to the app (which never actually saves your card because gently caress you), then tell the flight attendant the name on your account so they can look it up (which also rarely works because the wifi is so poo poo). All of this while stuffed into an "economy plus seat" which costs extra but is literally just a regular exit row seat that costs $170 extra per person. I never got my snack.

loving :lol:

I used to carry a $100 onto flights because you could order a beer and try to pay with it, but they'd never be able to make change for it so they'd just give it back and you got a free beer. Felt like some Top Cat coin-on-a-string poo poo

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

thathonkey posted:

because the delivery fee isnt going to the drivers. all of the fees are completely opaque. one category is usually just called "taxes and other fees" i have no idea how much is actually going to the drivers per order but im sure its not enough. at least they claim all of the tip goes them so personally that is why i do it

The entire tip technically does not go to drivers with delivery services because they have wack-rear end backwards payment structures.

Like for example, doordash will offer your order to a driver and set a 'minimim pay' for it of (using made up numbers here) $8. The driver gets paid at least $8 no matter what, but that will be structured as $3 from the delivery fee and a $5 guaranteed tip. That $5 only gets paid out if your tip is under $5 - doordash pays the difference to make the tip $5.

If you tip $5, the driver still gets exactly $8, and doordash does not pay them DD's portion of that $5 guaranteed tip.

If you tip $6, the driver ends up with $1 more than the guaranteed pay, so your $6 tip is essentially tipping $5 to Doordash and $1 to the driver.

So yes "100% of your tip goes to the driver", but tipping also makes doordash themselves pay the drivers less. It's best to tip $0 through the app and give the driver a cash tip, but you need to message them to let them know otherwise they see the $0 tip and drag rear end on delivering your order. Because Doordash explicitly suggests to drivers that they de-prioritize orders with low or no tip (because it makes them pay the driver more, so they want to discourage it).

I don't know if this has changed since my friend did Doordash deliveries ~6 years ago but knowing the way these gig economy companies work after having worked for some of their corporate offices I severely doubt it because nickle-and-diming through obfuscated fees and complicated payment structures that are designed to confuse and shift the blame for low pay onto the customer is the foundation of their business.

Instacart is the only one I know of that treats the delivery people fairly well - they're actual full-time employees that get paid a wage, work a scheduled shift, get benefits, etc. and with Instacart your tip actually does go to the driver. At least it used to circa ~2020

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 21, 2024

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Outpost22 posted:

sure but what if im really hungover

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Outpost22 posted:

goon advocates for drunk driving

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

is pepsi ok posted:

It should be straight up illegal for a company to force you to call to cancel a service. Literally everything with a recurring payment should be required to have a one step cancellation button on their site.

One of many reasons I hate Spectrum. I can log on and buy equipment and services with a click, but if I want to cancel something or even ask about a charge on the bill I have to call in and then they make me prove I own the account by asking for my social security number.

It can take up to an hour if you don't just stay firm. If you waffle or give them an inch you're loving up. They never let you just cancel the service up front. If you complain they'll try to talk you out of it, if you say you're getting another service that's another sales pitch, or if you say you just can't afford it they'll try to offer you a deal that will cost more in six months. You just have to be a dick and repeat "I want to cancel. Cancel my service" and not deviate from that and then they usually get pissed at you, but that's just how it has to be.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

deep dish peat moss posted:

The entire tip technically does not go to drivers with delivery services because they have wack-rear end backwards payment structures.

Like for example, doordash will offer your order to a driver and set a 'minimim pay' for it of (using made up numbers here) $8. The driver gets paid at least $8 no matter what, but that will be structured as $3 from the delivery fee and a $5 guaranteed tip. That $5 only gets paid out if your tip is under $5 - doordash pays the difference to make the tip $5.

If you tip $5, the driver still gets exactly $8, and doordash does not pay them DD's portion of that $5 guaranteed tip.

If you tip $6, the driver ends up with $1 more than the guaranteed pay, so your $6 tip is essentially tipping $5 to Doordash and $1 to the driver.

So yes "100% of your tip goes to the driver", but tipping also makes doordash themselves pay the drivers less. It's best to tip $0 through the app and give the driver a cash tip, but you need to message them to let them know otherwise they see the $0 tip and drag rear end on delivering your order. Because Doordash explicitly suggests to drivers that they de-prioritize orders with low or no tip (because it makes them pay the driver more, so they want to discourage it).

I read that they just removed tip bidding / tipping before delivery, at least in Seattle

Aliensandwich
Jan 21, 2024
I feel like Sriracha sauce lost its kick after it was brought back recently. It feels weirdly watered down. I'd imagine it has to do with whatever shortage they were facing, but dayum.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Aliensandwich posted:

I feel like Sriracha sauce lost its kick after it was brought back recently. It feels weirdly watered down. I'd imagine it has to do with whatever shortage they were facing, but dayum.

I was actually going to cite a variation of this as an unshittification. Very long story short, the company that every knows produces Sriracha kinda dicked one of their major suppliers - Underwood Ranch (UR). Something Something Unetheical Business poo poo - There was a lawsuit and UR came out with $23m. After this, UR basically said, 'k gently caress you' and took their peppers and went home. UR now makes their own Sriracha, and it's substantially better then what we've previous known as Sriracha. Way, way loving better.

So, buy your Sriracha for Underwood Ranch. It's pricey if you are used to $3.00 Sriracha, but it's so much better: https://underwoodranches.com/products/

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jan 21, 2024

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

some Top Cat coin-on-a-string poo poo

Lol that SA’s demographic is old enough to remember coin-op machines, let alone Top Cat

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Mulaney Power Move posted:

It can take up to an hour if you don't just stay firm. If you waffle or give them an inch you're loving up. They never let you just cancel the service up front. If you complain they'll try to talk you out of it, if you say you're getting another service that's another sales pitch, or if you say you just can't afford it they'll try to offer you a deal that will cost more in six months. You just have to be a dick and repeat "I want to cancel. Cancel my service" and not deviate from that and then they usually get pissed at you, but that's just how it has to be.

And then even when they finally say it's canceled, they don't actually do it. If I can tell it's going to be a big piss and poo poo fest I just skip straight to calling my bank and telling them to refuse further charges from the company.

A surprising number of places won't actually stop your service even if you haven't paid them for years.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Was this whole food delivery trend that sprung up yet another thing where free VC money made it effective but now the chickens are coming home to roost? I feel like 15 years ago the idea of getting any food other than pizza or few others delivered to your door was vanishingly rare.

Mulaney Power Move posted:

One of many reasons I hate Spectrum. I can log on and buy equipment and services with a click, but if I want to cancel something or even ask about a charge on the bill I have to call in and then they make me prove I own the account by asking for my social security number.

If I have to cancel something like that I always tell them I'm moving to Nepal. I don't think I've ever gotten into double digit minutes. It's still ridiculous that it takes that long, and that you MUST call them on the phone (lol suck it gen-z), and that there are "strategies" for getting them to do the thing, but it is what it is I guess.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 21, 2024

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Online payment systems can suck too. My state DMV has an online system that is almost useless. You have to go into a chat with a bot and type in the correct keywords and 90% of the time it doesn't work because you have to pay for something else first and you have to call to do that, the chatbot can't handle it.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

thathonkey posted:

There's a decent documentary on Netflix that explores class divide and life among them.

I think it's called Working? Obama narrates it that fucker is using his pleasant voice to make bank.

To bad he didn't pass any legislation to make the lives of working people better his party had complete control of the government for 2 years.

Spoiler, the only people making money at the "unskilled" labor level have unions and good ones.

The section on gig driver's is.. well it's not surprising if you paid attention to the news and their complaints but they basically live off tips and they don't get many. They can't see any info about the order and frequently tells them a tip (no amount listed) is included on the order and it's frequently not.

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 21, 2024

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

that are designed to confuse and shift the blame for low pay onto the customer is the foundation of their business.

This is something that makes me very angry. The company created this structure to pit the driver against the customer when both of them are being hosed by the company.

Also, pre-tipping is a pretty lovely thing regardless. The main idea of the American tipping system is to reward for good service (I don't want to debate this please). Why would I tip before the service is provided? That seems very suspicious that a company would show the delivery driver who is going to give them more money before they even provide the service. It's like they actually want the driver to provide worse service for people, as peat moss mentioned. There's two ways that can go. You guilt or make the customer angry enough to pay more, or you make them angry enough to stop using your service (me). Malice is involved in either scenario which is very upsetting.

With local delivery, I pay with my card over the phone/internet and then add the tip when I sign for it. That system has worked quite well for as long as I've been alive. :shrug:

Aliensandwich
Jan 21, 2024

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I was actually going to cite a variation of this as an unshittification. Very long story short, the company that every knows produces Sriracha kinda dicked one of their major suppliers - Underwood Ranch (UR). Something Something Unetheical Business poo poo - There was a lawsuit and UR came out with $23m. After this, UR basically said, 'k gently caress you' and took their peppers and went home. UR now makes their own Sriracha, and it's substantially better then what we've previous known as Sriracha. Way, way loving better.

So, buy your Sriracha for Underwood Ranch. It's pricey if you are used to $3.00 Sriracha, but it's so much better: https://underwoodranches.com/products/

Good to know! As someone who uses Sriracha for drat near everything, I'm definitely willing to check that out. I miss that savory tang

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Definitely going to try this out. It suddenly became impossible to get a basic chili garlic sauce locally, and they have that.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The Moon Monster posted:

Was this whole food delivery trend that sprung up yet another thing where free VC money made it effective but now the chickens are coming home to roost? I feel like 15 years ago the idea of getting any food other than pizza or few others delivered to your door was vanishingly rare.

I think the food delivery stuff is the only real gig economy thing that has been profitable since the beginning, they didn't have to rely on VC funds, they made the businesses themselves pay to be included (30% of every order!!) because it's a service they couldn't afford on their own but that absolutely brings in new business they wouldn't get otherwise.

If you find a restaurant that uses Square's online ordering system for deliveries through the restaurant's own website it's actually not too bad because it bypasses the 30% commission that delivery services charge, so it's at least not loving over the restaurant and making them jack their prices up. You still pay a shitload in fees and need to tip but you often avoid the markup on items. I believe other middleman online ordering options operate the same way (bypassing the delivery service commission) but they often charge the restaurants their own fees, while Square just charges the standard card processing fee.

It's just that delivery services are designed from the ground up to exploit everyone involved: the customer, the restaurant, and the delivery person.

e: You can tell if it's the Square ordering system by looking for this layout of the delivery/pickup selection and cart widgets (with these same icons), this customize button, etc:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 21, 2024

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

The Moon Monster posted:

No, it's more that they exploited the independent contractor loopholes in a massive way for a very long time and now the chickens are coming home to roost. The model is still viable and it's likely that it will never truly die, but the current players are all doomed because the VCs they rely on for money got addicted to growth, so they made extremely bad and risky financial decisions like creating their own ghost kitchens, offering relay-order services (where the business doesn't know they're on the app, which results in much worse service for everyone involved) and loving up the independent contractor thing so bad that half the country is either currently legislating them out of existence or already have.

You know, just the usual mask-off nightmare capitalist bullshit.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

MrQwerty posted:

goon advocates for drunk driving

Yeah seriously when I weigh the ethical dilemmas I'd rather use an evil, evil app than put a whole lot of people in danger just because I want my treats. That's what makes me a good person. And before you say "just cook", I'm sorry, but I'm too drunk to cook. And before you say "just call the actual restaurant", I'm sorry, but I'm slurring my speech too much to appropriately verbalize my order and my payment information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

thathonkey posted:

Sure it is. Nobody tips UPS drivers; people pay UPS to provide a delivery service and UPS hires employees to do so. Why is food different? The answer used to be "because tipped minimum wage", but that's mostly not a thing anymore, so restaurants are legally responsible for paying their employees now. They pass this additional cost on to you as either increased prices or a service fee.

Which is how it should be! You pay for a service at a transparent price, the company hires an employee at a transparent wage, and you receive the service you paid for.

GrubHub paying a real wage (good!), passing it on as a fee (reasonable), and then still extorting the customer for tips can get hosed.