Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
the screen bezel on the RP3/4 is actually kind of big, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i bought the official grip for the retroid flip, to distract myself from the g cloud being $200 on ebay. all i need is comfortable ergonomics and i'll live with what i have. one amazon review said the grip was bad and the flip just falls right out, so I guess i'll see if that's true. I play games in bed a lot, so it would be angled forward most likely.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I guess the ice blue R4P is made of sapphire and taking a while to crush into plastic dye

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

I guess the ice blue R4P is made of sapphire and taking a while to crush into plastic dye

The Retroid discord has devolved into non-stop WHERE ORDER???, but from what I've gleaned the Blue+Watermelon colours aren't shipping until next week - probably end of.
There have been a few people posting discussions they've had with Retroid support to the effect of "Probably before the end of the month"

Meanwhile I'm stuck with broken shipping info

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Yeah I'm not particularly worried or anything it's just kinda lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I would like them to ship mine please.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Installed some clear yellow Etzy buttons on the clear blue Miyoo Mini (V4). The instruction is way simpler than replacing xbox buttons but the buttons only sit correctly when you place the board back at directly downward angle.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Does anybody do replacement buttons or shells for the rg353v? Skins, even?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Oh there we go, ice blue shipped

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

Updated setup guide for the Miyoo Mini Plus if anyone still needs one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCODWqdehWE

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Someone on the Retroid Discord tried to dye their crystal case orange, and it looks like they dropped it in the toilet.

stephenthinkpad posted:

Installed some clear yellow Etzy buttons on the clear blue Miyoo Mini (V4). The instruction is way simpler than replacing xbox buttons but the buttons only sit correctly when you place the board back at directly downward angle.

That's a cool colour combo

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
^^ Thanks

That orange dye is a disaster. I would try to save it with a hydrodip transfer.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
that dye job looks like someone had a serious doritos problem

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

death cob for cutie posted:

that dye job looks like someone had a serious doritos problem

“Bro we think you might have a Doritos problem”

“N-no, that’s…that’s just…I dropped it in the toilet! Yeah, that’s what happened! Right down in there. No Doritos here”

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

New colour choice: urinal cake

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the official retroid flip grip is... OK. it fits snugly despite what amazon reviews claimed. no risk of it slipping out because it has pegs for the holes in the back of the device.

the grip IS small though. on one hand, this does mean it might still be pocketable if you're not wearing jeans and you have deep pockets. but it does mean that with even slightly larger hands, the balls of the handles will push into your palms, which is not ideal. so, ergonomically, it is unquestionably better, but it is still not as comfortable as it could be.

on the plus side, my fingers can all wrap around it without the pinky dangling much. but on the minus side, i still had issues with arms falling asleep while playing in bed and i think the handle bottoms pushing in on my palms are not helping

the important thing is it stopped me from spending $200-300 on another device for now. but eventually i'm going to upgrade from this to something that i can play in bed without any grip/weight issues. still nothing has matched the beefy Switch Hori Split Pad Pro grips

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
No one actually plays games on these micro devices, do they?

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Rinkles posted:

No one actually plays games on these micro devices, do they?

It's perfect

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
Humans really like potential, and having the potential to really play one of the 10 000 games you're holding in your pocket at all times seems to be the value proposition of these super small handhelds.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

its a fidget spinner

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

They're a novelty, unless you want the most accurate Pokemon Mini experience

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015

Alucard posted:

It's perfect

How did you find this picture of me and why did you photoshop the hands to be bigger????

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I love my GBA Micro though.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I've seen a few people say it's a nice thing to have on your keys to pull out for like 2 minutes if you're stuck in a queue somewhere.

Also Anbernic's answer to the RP4 with the 556 leaked, the main difference being it has a 5.5" 1080p OLED and looks actually quite nice. Though the Unisoc T820 it's apparently using is a bit behind the D900 of the RP4 in GPU power.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jan 21, 2024

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

njsykora posted:

I've seen a few people say it's a nice thing to have on your keys to pull out for like 2 minutes if you're stuck in a queue somewhere.

Also Anbernic's answer to the RP4 with the 556 leaked, the main difference being it has a 5.5" 1080p OLED and looks actually quite nice. Though the Unisoc T820 it's apparently using is a bit behind the D900 of the RP4 in GPU power.

Has the wrong stick placement. 0/10

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

njsykora posted:

Emulation is usually cpu bound right?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Usually yeah, with GPU being relevant to upscaling stuff that I never use.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

njsykora posted:

man why are the buttons so small lol

looks like it'll be comfy to hold tho

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The 7th Guest posted:

I think the device will be bigger in real life. They'll for sure be bigger than the RP buttons.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

They look joycon button sized to me

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

njsykora posted:

Russ has a video about one where he says he didn't get until he decided to use it like that for just one specific game. Don't spend time scrolling and picking a game, make full use of auto-resume and auto-save functionality (which a tiny device like that needs). I think he went with Pokemon Crystal.

I think there also was a reddit post by someone who logged a lot of hours playing Final Fantasy Tactics on such a tiny device.
Edit: Found it.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jan 21, 2024

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I've poked around a bit, and I still would like to know if there's a way to transfer my saves from the Miyoo sd card, I think the main thing I'm concerned about with Onion is that I'd really like the sort of gui savestate management that the default OS has, where you don't have to dig through Retroarch menus, you can just go choose save slots and see a screenshot for your savestate. I can't seem to find an option to enable that without borking things.

The only other thing I can think to ask about is whether there's any way to tell the emulator to do something about the gameboy infrared sensor stuff, since it'd be nice consolation for having to regrind my pokemon card deck if I could do card pop.

Part of why I'm anxious is that I think that if I'm gonna get any of those rom packs, I want to wipe my spare SD card to use for juggling the data, since I don't have a lot of hard drive space to spare for managing one of those giant packs.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

The 7th Guest posted:

looks like it'll be comfy to hold tho

Those are the exactly same buttons and sticks they use on the 405M which is significantly smaller. But they're pretty high quality. The 405M is one of the sturdiest handhelds I've ever used, and all the controls are super clicky and responsive.

sithael
Nov 11, 2004
I'm a Sad Panda too!

SlothfulCobra posted:

I've poked around a bit, and I still would like to know if there's a way to transfer my saves from the Miyoo sd card, I think the main thing I'm concerned about with Onion is that I'd really like the sort of gui savestate management that the default OS has, where you don't have to dig through Retroarch menus, you can just go choose save slots and see a screenshot for your savestate. I can't seem to find an option to enable that without borking things.

you don't really have to deal with the retroarch menus too much, you can hit the center button + left/right to change which save state you want. you can also setup SMB shares on the Miyoo and just connect and drag your saves if you wanna transfer them. it's super useful

sithael fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 21, 2024

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Any new word on the Miyoo Flip?

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Silly Burrito posted:

Any new word on the Miyoo Flip?

Only thing I've seen is that they estimated march for first availability

https://retrododo.com/new-miyoo-mini-flip/

Take that with a bag of salt since they also haven't sent a test copy to retro dodo yet.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Alucard posted:

Only thing I've seen is that they estimated march for first availability

https://retrododo.com/new-miyoo-mini-flip/

Take that with a bag of salt since they also haven't sent a test copy to retro dodo yet.

Thanks!

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Don’t we have a Ron Paul “it’s happening” smiley? anyway, its happening! (allegedly).
I got shipment notice for my polymega deluxe bundle. It should be shipping tomorrow. Woop woop.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Corb3t posted:

I love my GBA Micro though.

I love my Micro the same way I love my cat. It's small and I don't let it go outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I liked Nintendo when they made crazy gadget like the GBA Micro. It's the same weirdness as the RG Nano or the Arc. Also Xperia Play