Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
e: nm, wrong info

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

RandomBlue posted:

One of the tutorial/help messages said only one player can fight a boss at a time. I guess that holds true even if you're trying to play co-op.

We were able to fight bosses co-op. Just need to make sure you're both right there when initiating.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Epic High Five posted:

I'm still at 50/50 if the studio pulls a Valheim, realizes they've sold every copy they'd be selling on 1.0, and spends their days traveling from beach to beach on a solid gold yacht. I would hold no ill will if so, obviously I hope they don't, but at least it would be very funny.

Palworld has the advantage of Japanese work ethic, so I'm at least somewhat optimistic.

Bann
Jan 14, 2019

taking a small break while my earbuds recharge, some scattered thoughts after binging:

-I was not able to figure out how to disable/uneqip pal equipment. I strongly dislike having the Daedream ring (causes them to attack as if they active even when not active.) Makes it very difficult to capture lower level pals.
-Capturing Pals seems to be by far the quickest way to gain exp.
-Pal pathing is kind of a nightmare. I started with a fancy building seemed to be the cause of many pathing issues. I tore 90% of it down (only left enough for a bed under a roof) and the base functions much better.
-I think you need a pal with level 2 transport to move items out of the stone/wood generators.
-Placing a chest that can be reached without moving when you access a stone/wood generator is great for when they stack up with produced items (taking from them yourself seems to only all you to take all items, even if it will burden you to the point you cannot move.)
-I believe the only use of the Lifmunk effigies is improving your capture rate. I initially was holding onto my effigies because I thought they were also used for the pal strengthening option on the same statue, but that is a totally separate system that uses the souls.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

On a scale of Ark to Valheim, how jank is this game?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Fruits of the sea posted:

Surprisingly low amount of jank.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
So far the jankiest issue for me is base pals getting stuck on top of the logging building. Even flying ones somehow get stuck.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Even the front-end webserver for G-Portal is now hosed.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

There's definitely something with the pathing and world collision that's loving things up. Half the time when I get back to base, one or two of my pals spawn in thirty feet in the air and fall far enough to be injured or outright incapacitated.

e: And now a brand new bug where my pals won't fight at all. They aggro for about a single frame and then go back to running around uselessly.

kneelbeforezog
Nov 13, 2019
How does server persistency work?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

kneelbeforezog posted:

How does server persistency work?

Currently all progress is locked to the world instance of the host, no progress can persist between worlds, though they say in the FAQ this might change in future.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

RandomBlue posted:

Surprisingly low amount of jank.

Leal posted:

So far the jankiest issue for me is base pals getting stuck on top of the logging building. Even flying ones somehow get stuck.

MonkeyforaHead posted:

There's definitely something with the pathing and world collision that's loving things up. Half the time when I get back to base, one or two of my pals spawn in thirty feet in the air and fall far enough to be injured or outright incapacitated.

e: And now a brand new bug where my pals won't fight at all. They aggro for about a single frame and then go back to running around uselessly.

Getting some mixed messages here :v:

But thanks. Sounds like I should give it a month and see how things shake out

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

If I fits, I sits.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Palworld has the advantage of Japanese work ethic, so I'm at least somewhat optimistic.

Japanese work ethic means falling asleep at your desk to demonstrate how hard you're working and generally pretending to work for 70% of your day because you are so chronically tired from not being allowed to go home before the boss does, and the boss is pretending to work late as well. Then when work does end, you have to go drinking with the boss.

The main reason to be optimistic is because Craftopia exists and has apparently gotten steady updates over time, and now they have received a big shot of funding so the future of their business is very secure and they have all the incentive in the world to keep improving the game that I'm sure Pocketpair is just as bewildered as everyone else as to why it has blown up.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

There's a bit, less than you'd expect and so far for me at least (only like level 20) none of it has been showstopping jank. I default to assuming the worst about any early access survival crafting game because doing so means you're right 99% of the time, but they've really got something here and we aren't seeing just a rough draft of a concept

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

I found this stone deposit growing in a tree

been very jank lite so far otherwise

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

There’s definitely something a but wonky with multiplayer but not too horrible. After a while the lag gets real intense so logging out and resetting the client might be a good idea.

Other than that the worst jank I’ve run into is some physics fuckery.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Follow up on breeding. Star ranks aren't inherited from parents.

1 star lucky Lamball and 1 star Cattiva resulted in a common egg with a 0 star lucky Lamball that inherited one skill and one passive.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

https://github.com/cxve/Palworld-Mod-Toggle-HUD

LUA script that adds a toggle HUD key

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Set up a second base near where a handful of ore nodes spawn. They don't work quick but its steady.

Attack on Princess posted:

Follow up on breeding. Star ranks aren't inherited from parents.

1 star lucky Lamball and 1 star Cattiva resulted in a common egg with a 0 star lucky Lamball that inherited one skill and one passive.

Appreciate you experimenting, I haven't touched that part yet cause I want to see how that all works before putting time in it.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

:3:

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
The NPC AI and pathfinding can get kind of fucky occasionally, in combat too and mobs sometimes clip into the geometry or charge inside walls etc. Movement animations have some visual jank when climbing and many of the sound effects have unbalanced volume levels or just sound like *placeholder sound, replace later*. I had some problems retrieving ingots from my smelter earlier too, but on the whole the gameplay and progression feels pretty light on annoying jank that'd mess with the exploration and monster collecting gameplay and progression.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The most jank I found so far are bosses running into pillars so you can kite them easily and all these Elden Ring churches have missing textures if you look carefully, overall texture quality on some terrain being ps1 level poo poo even with maximum texture settings.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Getting some mixed messages here :v:

But thanks. Sounds like I should give it a month and see how things shake out

It's still far more usable, optimized, and enjoyable for its very first day in early access than Ark has been at any point in its existence.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

MonkeyforaHead posted:

lmao what

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Bann posted:

-I think you need a pal with level 2 transport to move items out of the stone/wood generators.
-Placing a chest that can be reached without moving when you access a stone/wood generator is great for when they stack up with produced items (taking from them yourself seems to only all you to take all items, even if it will burden you to the point you cannot move.)

Oh, so that's why no one in my base hauls wood or stone out of the logging or mining pits and I have to stand there super encumbered trying to get that stuff moving. I have to see if I have captured any level 2 transporters yet. So far I found that Tombat is a good all rounder since he can do various lv 2 tasks. So I gave him dibs on the hot tub.

Bann posted:

-I believe the only use of the Lifmunk effigies is improving your capture rate. I initially was holding onto my effigies because I thought they were also used for the pal strengthening option on the same statue, but that is a totally separate system that uses the souls.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I was saving those as well. Better use them then.

Beat the first overworld boss (Chillet) and got the incubator, started with the electric egg I found on top of the tower. Although that fight was more Eikhtyrdeer (on holiday from Valheim?) doing the business and me hitting Chillet for 3x5 damage on the Tripleshot bow. Ended up capturing him starting from 45%.

Also if you have experience on Day 1 EA survival crafting games, don't worry, this game is way less janky than any of them. There is some slight jank but I can't understate how positively surprised I've been.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 21, 2024

Waffle Shake
Aug 24, 2015
I'm remembering my brief time in Archeage, where if I so much as glanced in the direction of player housing, it was like looking at Medusa and my computer would turn to stone. So I'm pretty impressed at how optimized Palworld seems to be so far. I've been having a blast with my friend, although it's unfortunately that you end up sandbagging one another in multiplayer because you're all fighting over Paldium.

Is there anyway to bind any controls to the mouse? Trying to rebind all the controls is an exercise in madness right now. F is the default button to pick up and drop a pal, but if you remap the pal ability button to E, then F becomes the undocumented pick up button and E is used to drop them?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

TeaJay posted:

Oh, so that's why no one in my base hauls wood or stone out of the logging or mining pits and I have to stand there super encumbered trying to get that stuff moving.

I have my lumber yard and quarry directly next to each other, with a chest adjacent to them so you can stand on the chest, loot 400 Stone + Wood and immediately dump it.

Also have chests immediate next to the Palbox for transferring large amounts between Base Camps.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 21, 2024

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
If anyone want an ore mining base, as well as a forward base for exploring the volcano,
This Place is a plateau with a bunch of ore nodes and relatively flat terrain.

Edit: Made it a link just in case of spoilers

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The only unforgivable decision so far is that equipment blueprints can't be learned permanently and also don't work from your storage. They need to be on your person for you to have the option available, otherwise they don't show up. This wouldn't be so bad If the inventory space wasn't slot limited too

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

FrickenMoron posted:

The only unforgivable decision so far is that equipment blueprints can't be learned permanently and also don't work from your storage. They need to be on your person for you to have the option available, otherwise they don't show up. This wouldn't be so bad If the inventory space wasn't slot limited too

Yeah this seems really weird. I bet it'll get changed.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
If I set up a dedicated private server does that mean my friends can play on the same world as me without me currently playing?

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Has anyone tried running the dedicated server on lower hardware? The official requirements are kind of insane and I'm only likely to have 6 people.

I'm mainly wondering if I can just buy a 4gb server for the month or if I need to splurge for more.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Leal posted:

Set up a second base near where a handful of ore nodes spawn. They don't work quick but its steady.

Appreciate you experimenting, I haven't touched that part yet cause I want to see how that all works before putting time in it.

Yeah I saw this area and my first though was Palbox, beds, food box, and storage and just manually re-up the food. It's somewhat south of Hypocrite Hill, fairly close and were weight not an issue I'd be strip mining that entire section of the map.

It seems like berries and/or baked berries are just fine. I haven't needed to use any medicine yet and whenever a pal gets grumpy and stops working they get thrown back in the box and replaced.

I don't know how the spoilage is supposed to work, I have a cooler but I've never seen the cooling pals ever stand next to it to run it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I was in a dungeon just now and whistled to get on my dog but he was somewhere behind me, and it clipped me above the world geometry riding the dog, fully stuck up there. I almost did the respawn option but glad I didn't because quitting/rejoining had me outside of the dungeon and I didn't have to lose anything. Definitely a nervous couple minutes there!

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

explosivo posted:

I was in a dungeon just now and whistled to get on my dog but he was somewhere behind me, and it clipped me above the world geometry riding the dog, fully stuck up there. I almost did the respawn option but glad I didn't because quitting/rejoining had me outside of the dungeon and I didn't have to lose anything. Definitely a nervous couple minutes there!

I managed to clip outside the level geometry in a dungeon just by climbing up a wall. I *did* use the respawn option and thankfully it kicked me out with all my gear intact rather than banishing my inventory to the phantom zone.

edit:

I am reading again about the company CEO who literally did not know what an animation rig was until 6 months after beginning work on Palworld, having already shipped Craftopia, because there was not a single animator in the whole studio. I swear to god that guy made a wish on a magic genie lamp or a monkey paw or something.

They were saved by a veteran animator applying to their company, who also proceeded to teach them about version control...

Scoss fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 21, 2024

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

pentyne posted:

I don't know how the spoilage is supposed to work, I have a cooler but I've never seen the cooling pals ever stand next to it to run it.

It seems like once the timer ticks down for spoilage, a single food in the stack depletes and the timer starts again. It’s real generous and makes the cooler feel pretty unnecessary.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Also you can just sort your inventory to refresh the timer (for now)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Man the building in this game is so rear end. Let me snap foundations to the top/bottom of stairs! Or at least chill the hell out with what counts as overlap.

e: I seriously can't place a palbox on foundations? Nevermind, the placement is just very screwy.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 21, 2024