Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Tenebrais posted:

If we're bringing up new recs, here's a few I've come across in recent years

Phantomarine, a fantasy story set on in a flooded world where the god of death rules the seas and nobody is happy about it, including him. When the royal family's daughter dies at sea, he has a chance for her to help him heal the world, but she has grown up firmly faithful that he's the literal devil. Very charming writing, every character is fun to watch.

I just read through this one's archives and greatly enjoyed it. It's cute, it's intriguing, and the art is lovely. Thank you so much for sharing. <3

shirts and skins fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jan 22, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
I was wondering if anyone recognizes this short webcomic:

It's about a group of goblins who decide to go defeat a wizard and explore a dangerous dungeon. They start as a full squad but lose members one by one to the enemies and traps, until the final goblin manages to defeat the wizard and becomes a goblin wizard.

I think it might have been on tumblr but I can't find it at all. It was sort of monochrome or black and white, and the art style was a little similar to Pocketss but it's not theirs.

edit: Another interesting webcomic:

Solivaga is about a group of mages who obtain their power from energies from a parallel dimension. Said parallel dimension is recently doing funky things resulting in monsters appearing, and magic and the people who wield it being corrupted. The comic is on a break but the author is still actively working on it. It's fantasy with a touch of body horror, lovingly rendered.

isasphere fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jan 22, 2024

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Sailor Dave posted:

That sounds like Tales from Alderwood. Specifically this part.

Yep, that's the one, thank you!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

isasphere posted:

I was wondering if anyone recognizes this short webcomic:

It's about a group of goblins who decide to go defeat a wizard and explore a dangerous dungeon. They start as a full squad but lose members one by one to the enemies and traps, until the final goblin manages to defeat the wizard and becomes a goblin wizard.

I think it might have been on tumblr but I can't find it at all. It was sort of monochrome or black and white, and the art style was a little similar to Pocketss but it's not theirs.
It's by the same guy who did the wizard's assistant comics where the assistant is a grubby peasant kid, the wizard has breasts and a beard, and there's a bit about the apprentice touching a skull and waking up the demilich.

No I do not remember the author.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I lied I do remember

https://wizardcomix.tumblr.com/tagged/goblin

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Wow, Tumblr is a bad place to host webcomics.

I clicked "previous" 28 times, here's a link so nobody else has to: https://wizardcomix.tumblr.com/tagged/goblin/page/29

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

Splicer posted:

It's by the same guy who did the wizard's assistant comics where the assistant is a grubby peasant kid, the wizard has breasts and a beard, and there's a bit about the apprentice touching a skull and waking up the demilich.

No I do not remember the author.

...Well, that must be why I never bookmarked it. Thank you.

Ahhh, yeah, it was weirder than I remembered. Thank you!

Ditocoaf posted:

I clicked "previous" 28 times, here's a link so nobody else has to: https://wizardcomix.tumblr.com/tagged/goblin/page/29

Thank you too!

Yeah, and the search is busted too. I spent hours searching for variations of "goblin" and "wizard" and "comic" with no result, and if you wanted to change the search terms you had to go back to the homepage to use the search bar there, the search bar in the following results pages doesn't work, it just returns the previous search.

isasphere fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jan 22, 2024

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

isasphere posted:

...Well, that must be why I never bookmarked it. Thank you.
lol that description made it sound really weird in a bad way but it's actually just slightly surreal. I was hucking out every memory jogger I could think of in case someone else remembered. Then I remembered it was wizard comix with an x

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

Splicer posted:

lol that description made it sound really weird in a bad way but it's actually just slightly surreal. I was hucking out every memory jogger I could think of in case someone else remembered. Then I remembered it was wizard comix with an x

Yeah, I get what you mean, once I read through the comic archives I remembered how I found them unsettling, but not like gross or anything.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

Ditocoaf posted:

If you add '/chrono' to the end of a search it automatically returns results from oldest to newest. It's still not a great system but it's somewhat more functional if you know how to use this.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Ooh, comic recommendations. I've got a few!

Bybloemen

About posted:

Bybloemen - a variety of broken tulip, white with purple or violet stripes

Bybloemen takes place during the height of tulip mania, an absurd chapter in Dutch history when houses were mortgaged for flowers, a virus almost capsized an entire economy, and at least one visiting Englishman was jailed for roasting and eating a tulip bulb he mistook for an onion (possibly). The story follows the adventures of the three largely unknown (and unwitting) architects of this historical incident: a young merchant named Gertrude, a lesser devil named Basil, and his gifted apprentice, Ludwig. Also, several morally bankrupt birds, a pair of fertilizer salesmen, and the residents of one very unfortunately-named tavern.

Hogback Saga

quote:

I’m currently working on a new comic called the Hogback saga. A story set in tenth century Northern Britain about a group of Norse-Gaels forming a new community in the Kingdom of Strathclyde after having been ousted from Dublin.

The link above goes to chapter one, patreon is a hot mess for webcomic archives, chapter two is here, but chapter three isn't finished so it's scattered across many little patreon posts. Argh.

O Human Star

quote:

Alastair Sterling was the inventor who sparked the robot revolution. And because of his sudden death, he didn’t see any of it.
That is, until he wakes up 16 years later in a robot body that matches his old one exactly. Until he steps outside and finds a world utterly unlike the one he left behind – a world where robots live alongside their human neighbors and coexist in their cities. A world he helped create.
Now Al must track down his old partner Brendan to find out who is responsible for Al’s unexpected resurrection, but their reunion raises even more questions.
Like who the robot living with Brendan is. And why she looks like Al. And how much of the past should stay in the past…

O Human Star is finished.

Fairmeadow

quote:

Goma, a wayward Orcish soldier, finds herself in Fairmeadow, a commune of pacifists deep in the Cascadian wilderness. Isolation has allowed the commune to thrive in the shadow of a century-long war, but Goma’s arrival brings troubling reminders of the world outside to those who have settled there in search of respite. Fairmeadow’s enigmatic leader, Sanctuary, finds his utopian vision challenged as he struggles to keep the peace. Their self-sufficiency exists on thin margins - margins that threaten to break if Goma cannot learn to live alongside those who she has sworn to fight.

Fairmeadow is a post-epic fantasy drama inspired by the counter-cultural movements of the late 60’s, the landscapes of the Pacific Northwest, and tabletop RPG’s. It’s about the collision of idealism against pragmatism, reckoning with the consequences of dropping out, and trying to make its readers want to go on a hike.

Devil's Candy

This one put its blurb into an image and I don't think it's that descriptive of the series anyway, so I'm just going to post three pages I think are funny:

See the proliferation of the little strokes...

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Ugh, I was hoping Jeph had dropped the executive dysfunction bit because he learned adult onset executive dysfunction wasn't actually a thing.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I mean, Ayo's story is uncomfortably similar to my own, in college it's way harder to coast along on "all the teachers like you and you clearly know the material so we'll just ignore the unfinished homework" and also it's way easier to not go to classes when you aren't living at home and they don't call your parents for a single absence. I didn't have "adult onset executive disfunction" or whatever, I always had it (ADHD woooo) and then moved to an environment that I couldn't handle.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

YggiDee posted:

I mean, Ayo's story is uncomfortably similar to my own, in college it's way harder to coast along on "all the teachers like you and you clearly know the material so we'll just ignore the unfinished homework" and also it's way easier to not go to classes when you aren't living at home and they don't call your parents for a single absence. I didn't have "adult onset executive disfunction" or whatever, I always had it (ADHD woooo) and then moved to an environment that I couldn't handle.

I somehow managed to fail out of college twice before finally finishing and almost fail out of law school until I finally got diagnosed. Ayo's story hits REAL close to home for me.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think some people really like latching onto the idea of a mental abnormality as the cause of all their issues so that they don't have to deal with the fact that they hosed up really bad.

I also wouldn't generally respect somebody self-diagnosing themselves with a weird exotic mental illness, but I think everybody around her is just shrugging because she's currently in the process of getting her poo poo together, so knocking over the apparent centerpiece of her current worldview isn't really a priority right now.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think some people really like latching onto the idea of a mental abnormality as the cause of all their issues so that they don't have to deal with the fact that they hosed up really bad.

More than one thing can be true!

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Yeah like Ayo will need to actually deal with this poo poo but at least for a few days let her have the revelation that there might be actually something wrong with her that can be treated instead of just "you're lazy and a failure"

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

It's not "adult onset" if it was there but being overridden by structure, plans, and other people riding your rear end. Both of them hit that "now what?" moment and promptly ran out of gas even if it hit at a different place in accomplishment.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

YggiDee posted:

Yeah, been there done that. High school there was a vague awareness, parents and teachers both being all 'you could do much more', but I was grading in the top few percent just coasting and panic-doing projects the night before due, so it was never investigated as an actual issue until I went to uni and started properly crashing. And even then the ADHD didn't get figured out until I got to seeing a psych for the anxiety/light OCD (of course a lot of the anxiety disorder is likely largely stemming from an early life of undiagnosed ADHD...). Tale as old as time. School is really bad at identifying kids with disorders if they're largely still able to get good grades.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jan 26, 2024

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

The weird insistence on having Ayo not use the correct terminology or how she says "I was trying real hard" but apparently she never went to a single class just makes her seem like a Frankenstein of various failgirl archetypes stuffed into JJ's Quirky Girl mold that he pops literally every character out of, including Martin. Her story as a whole hits me pretty hard as well, I had undiagnosed ADHD until just recently and definitely have the "I coasted through the easy stuff and now that things are difficult I actually have no idea how to study or learn new things that don't come to me instantly" problem with my college courses, it's just Ayo as a character takes this idea and turns her into....some kind of weird idiot.

So yeah I guess I'm in my Hate-Reading phase with QC. I can't say anything about Liz or I will type four paragraphs about how much I loving hate her. Or New Pintsize.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
lmao drat there's a lot of adult diagnosed ADHD...sufferer's(?) on these forums.

me included.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

No yeah suffering is the right word.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Ayo and Liz both really need professional help, although Ayo can probably legitimately claim that she can't afford it, given that she's a freshman college dropout who just started a job as a barista.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Given Claire's response, professional help for Liz is most likely in her plans even if she has to steamroll everyone else at Cubetown into getting a therapist hired. It's also been mentioned that Dora's place has health insurance though that's all we know about it, and I don't know the particulars about relevant laws around it in Massachusetts to even begin to guess whether Ayo's going to get on it any time soon.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
drat, for a post ascended society to still have health insurance is bleak

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

QC has always had a very weird core conflict where there’s high concept SF stuff but the basic life experience needs to look the same as the present; this bugs me more than it should because the author describes the state of the setting as a ‘singularity’ but it’s the opposite - the singularity is the point at which life is changing so fast that even near term prediction is impossible and we have no idea what the future looks like. Vinge proposed this would be because of AI but the core idea is massive transformation, totally alien future shock. I don’t love the concept as a way to describe the future but it has a particular meaning, and is about unpredictability; Vinge’s example was ‘it would be as difficult to explain the context of this future to us now as it would be to explain the Microsoft Antitrust Suit to Joan of Arc.’

QC is undergoing the opposite of the singularity.

Joe Slowboat fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jan 28, 2024

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Joe Slowboat posted:

it would be as difficult to explain the context of this future to us now as it would be to explain the Microsoft Antitrust Suit to Joan of Arc.

sounds like a skill issue, I bet I could explain the Microsoft Antitrust Suit to Joan of Arc just fine

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Was Joan of Arc not intimately involved in the Microsoft antitrust suit of her time

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I think you could reasonably interpret Questionable Content as claiming that the Singularity is a flawed idea, because you can't actually change people's basic needs and wants short of actual violence.

The world of QC has undergone changes that to us, constitute the impossible. Humanity has created a child species that has cracked the secrets of eternal life. Weird superintelligences wander around demanding compliments. Slimegirls are factual.

But people still want to drink coffee and talk about their problems. They will always want to drink coffee and talk about their problems, and no force short of their destruction can prevent this.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I don't read QC but I really disagree with the idea that technological advancements would necessarily coincide with people in general having a better life given, yknow, the world today

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

The singularity is happening above everyone's heads - there are AIs that even Station is like, "Yeah, they're just weird." No advances arrive evenly into the world for everyone to enjoy. It's early days of Accelerando but without the Vile Offspring emerging (yet) to cannibalize us all.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

My point is more that Jacques likes to say 'it's a world where the singularity happened and nobody noticed' and I don't think that's taking a subtle critical hand to the concept, I think it's using it as shorthand for 'now there are AI.'

It's also just not very interesting science fiction - the whole thing around Bubbles' loan shark/boss being a good example of how the desire to not allow the science fictional aspects to actually impact the genre conventions at all, while still wanting to Do Science Fiction rather than just have robot people present, leads to something kind of unsatisfying.

But that's also why I would in fact expect there to be the same basic health insurance issues as in the present.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Started reading Nedroid yesterday, this Beartato is going places! What a charming fellow. I have skipped/skimmed some of the early ones though.

Also, I haven't read many webcomics, especially in recent decades, did read the OP. Any cool fun smooth reads? Especially ones that are somewhere in the middle of not being a surreal gag cartoon and not a very serious one either. And also not action oriented. I guess characters that you like to read, good or funny dialogue that isn't very long/wordy, just has a cool vibe I dunno. I've looked at top webcomic lists but I'm guessing stuff that'll grab me overall would be maybe the 40th to 400th most popular one, and maybe one that was hot 10 years ago and fell off. Anyways, I'm curious about webcomics again.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
If you liked Nedroid I think you might like these:

The Stoop Gallants: A group of small town friends with magical-related problems going on a journey to try to fix them. It's complete.

BEACH WZRD: It's about a recently graduated young witch taking up a post guarding over a small town beach and butting heads with an arrogant wizard who decides she wants to own that beach. It's on pause while the author works on the next chapter.

If you don't mind reading an abandoned work:

Boozle: A grumpy wizard and a friendly cyclops go on a quest to collect ingredients for a magic potion.

The author went on to publish graphic novels. I read a few sample pages from Dungeon Critters ages ago and it seemed cool.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The singularity is kind of one of those pseudo-religious techbro things, some people get weirdly messianic about it. I think there's plenty of reasons to not expect it to happen as they hope it will where everything changes all at once and a new paradise is created and a simulated hell is created for the simulated souls of those who doubted or tried to stop the singularity.

I think Jeph Jacques just wanted to have robots in his slice of life comic and slowly spun things out from there thinking through the implications of that. If you want him to have a much weirder take at a "post-singularity" society, go check out Alice Grove, which takes place in a postapocalyptic earth after a bunch of weird poo poo happened.

There was some kind of war, the ascended AI went off into the depths of space, and what humanity was left either lived in a dark age on the surface of the hosed-up Earth or went off into orbit to live in giant floating space trees simulating infinite realities.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

isasphere posted:

If you liked Nedroid I think you might like these:

The Stoop Gallants: A group of small town friends with magical-related problems going on a journey to try to fix them. It's complete.

BEACH WZRD: It's about a recently graduated young witch taking up a post guarding over a small town beach and butting heads with an arrogant wizard who decides she wants to own that beach. It's on pause while the author works on the next chapter.

If you don't mind reading an abandoned work:

Boozle: A grumpy wizard and a friendly cyclops go on a quest to collect ingredients for a magic potion.

The author went on to publish graphic novels. I read a few sample pages from Dungeon Critters ages ago and it seemed cool.

Thanks, I'll check those out. Also for the recommendation, I'm kinda looking for stuff that isn't like Nedroid in general, like when I mentioned something that isn't a surreal gag cartoon. I know it was kooky to mention it right before that. Describing an area I'd find interesting, separate from that. Like a character hangout one or something, could have another element too, just since I don't have a lot of comics like that I'm reading.

But there's always room for fantastical adventures and wild gags like mentioned here, lotta things to check out.

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

One of my favorites that I always feel needs more love is Uh Oh It's a Dinosaur. A nerdy shut-in type, Paul, receives a package in the mail containing some sort of lizard, who proceeds to introduce herself as Kyra. So Paul wants to find out what the heck Kyra is while also keeping her secret, and Kyra wants to run out and explore the world on her own terms. It's pretty endearing, and though it gets pretty bonkers from time to time, it manages to keep itself pretty self-consistent.

It takes a bit for it to find its footing, but it's worth sticking through 'cause there's some great moments.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Heavy Metal posted:

Thanks, I'll check those out. Also for the recommendation, I'm kinda looking for stuff that isn't like Nedroid in general, like when I mentioned something that isn't a surreal gag cartoon. I know it was kooky to mention it right before that. Describing an area I'd find interesting, separate from that. Like a character hangout one or something, could have another element too, just since I don't have a lot of comics like that I'm reading.

But there's always room for fantastical adventures and wild gags like mentioned here, lotta things to check out.
I also thought you wanted more nedroid type stuff.

Well, everyone else go read Val and Isaac

https://tredlocity.tumblr.com/tagged/val%20and%20isaac/chrono

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Post-singularity/-scarcity doesn't mean that the folks living in those times won't have problems - for example Star Trek, especially Deep Space 9, is one of the better explorations of this very concept, but it's fairly well-established in literature as well.

QC has just enough trappings of scifi to be able to justify its premise, not a wholly thought-out world - because it ultimately doesn't need to, when it's a slice-of-life about a bunch of folks just going by their daily lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I just want to clarify, I don't believe Ayo or Liz's experiences aren't valid or strike a nerve for a lot of people and they would definitely benefit from a proper diagnosis and management.

My point was that throwing Executive Dysfunction out there felt more like Jeph heard about it once and threw it in without understanding any of the symptoms or pathology.

It's a condition that actually improves as you age, there are neural pathways that just don't work for whatever reason and as you age your brain trains itself to compensate for the damage. Late and misdiagnoses are common because by the time a child reaches their teens it presents similarly to sever ADHD and no one thinks to administer a clock test to a kid with ADHD.