Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
12 active users within the last seven days if you count my wife and I as one person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I give mine out pretty freely among friends but there’s only maybe a half dozen who use it regularly and it’s rare when more than 2 or 3 remote streams are going at once.

For us and our friends, media consumption is social, so it’s fun suggesting content among each other and knowing it’s available to be watched easily. We used to host weekly GoT viewing parties with over a dozen people over - I miss that.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jan 20, 2024

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
I suddenly feel like a minority running a giant plex server just for myself.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Flowing Thot posted:

I suddenly feel like a minority running a giant plex server just for myself.

I mean, that's effectively what I'm doing. I just have a bunch of unused friend accounts in addition.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Mine is household-only. We use Plexamp via CarPlay when we’re out and about but that’s through tailscale.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

Wayne Knight posted:

Mine is household-only. We use Plexamp via CarPlay when we’re out and about but that’s through tailscale.

Same here. I’ve been tempted to offer Tailscale access with just the Plex port available to friends but most of my friends are capable of building their own stacks.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I have one friend who sometimes watches stuff on there but I find extended family can’t be bothered to shift off of Netflix or whatever despite sending them an invite. No matter!

Maybe they think my selection sucks idk

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

priznat posted:

Maybe they think my selection sucks idk

Don't judge me!

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

LRADIKAL posted:

12 active users within the last seven days if you count my wife and I as one person.

Exact same number of users here!

67TB of content
~2200 Movies
~1100 TV Shows Seasons

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Yeah a load of friends have access to mine but none of them use it. I am subbed to one friends that I use quite a bit, though.

^ maybe my selection does suck at only 600-800 films or so!

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

I have about 10 active friends and family who use mine. I just need to upgrade my mom's Roku since it has been struggling lately and can't seem to direct play h265 content.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

cruft posted:

I mean, that's effectively what I'm doing. I just have a bunch of unused friend accounts in addition.

This is p much where I am at, only like 1 out of 4 friends uses it more than a few times a year.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I'm in the dozen active users club. I think having overseer/easy way to request things drives a lot of usage.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

10 active users this past week out of the 14 I have my server shared with. One of them graciously donated a 12TB WD Red to my server as a Christmas gift last month.

[edit] Most concurrent streams I've had this month is only 2 though, they all watch at different times fortunately lol.

teagone fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jan 20, 2024

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I only have 20mb upload speeds so I'm limited to 3-4 friends all at 3mbps quality :smith:

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

FCKGW posted:

I'm limited to 3-4 friends
new thread title

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TenementFunster posted:

new thread title

New forums title.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
25ish users, most I've ever seen simultaneous was 11 the day after christmas.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Talorat posted:

25ish users, most I've ever seen simultaneous was 11 the day after christmas.

My highest concurrency was on Halloween night! SPOOKY! My users also asked for a lot of gruesome xmas movies, too.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I have the Synology DS920+ and I keep having issues with Plex constantly not showing up in settings. My Plex server on my computer shows up just fine but it's as if the one on the NAS has stopped working completely and isn't tied to my account anymore. I can sometimes watch videos from it if I go through my iPad but I can't interact with it otherwise.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled many times but the issue keeps happening.

EDIT: It doesn't even show up in the Main Menu screen for the NAS, only in the Package Center as installed. I can stop, start, and uninstall from there but trying to interact with the URL given, it gives an error that it fails immediately.

EDIT 2: Apparently it was due to being in QuickConnect. Going to the actual IP address fixed it!

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jan 21, 2024

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Sounds like I have been quite stingy! I knocked the upload speed cap to 4mbps and only have access given to four people, two of which which use it regularly. I have Xfinity with ~40 up so sounds like more room for higher quality/more users.

Alas though, I am hitting the friends cap. Meaning I don't have more.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish

Chillmatic posted:

One of my favorite things about r/plex is that any discussion of users on your server quickly devolves into people saying how much they hate their own users and that they ban them if they don't access their account every twenty minutes, or for daring to make requests, or when the admin plays scrabble and gets a triple word score that starts with the same letter as their username.

Just bumping this discussion because lol

https://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/19bt4ny/what_would_you_guys_do_friends_kid_plays_same/

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:

I want to know the movies that kid watched 200 times.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Do you think it's for the attention on Reddit or are these people really that miserable and creepy?

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

Flowing Thot posted:

I want to know the movies that kid watched 200 times.

Kids just be doin' that. :shrug: My daughter loves Coraline and wants to watch it constantly.

Motronic posted:

Do you think it's for the attention on Reddit or are these people really that miserable and creepy?

I have no idea! It just makes me laugh because if I was that seriously annoyed with the behavior of fellow human beings I'd just never allow them to use any of my stuff. Maybe it's just for attention? Either way people like that reddit OP baffle me.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Play the same files that many times over and over and the bits are going to get worn out and break at some point, it's just science.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
How can I get mad when I've got The Sopranos and My Cousin Vinny on constant repeat?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Chillmatic posted:

Kids just be doin' that. :shrug: My daughter loves Coraline and wants to watch it constantly.

I have no idea! It just makes me laugh because if I was that seriously annoyed with the behavior of fellow human beings I'd just never allow them to use any of my stuff. Maybe it's just for attention? Either way people like that reddit OP baffle me.

It's funny what kids fixate on. My friend's daughter loved watching her parents wedding video, the ceremony and reception. For a while she could even recite the best man's speech.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Lol, I can't be bothered to read any comments... What's the tldr version of why they care.
Either you want your server used by the friend, or you don't and just stop sharing.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

deong posted:

Lol, I can't be bothered to read any comments... What's the tldr version of why they care.
Either you want your server used by the friend, or you don't and just stop sharing.

It's literally that kids are watching TV like kids of a certain age often do: the same thing over and over every day. This is a problem because........well, that part was never explained.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
I only skimmed but it sounded to me like the op was just asking what he could do to stop having his bandwidth go toward streaming 2 4k movies all day every day? Like he didn’t seem like he wanted to stop the kids from doing what kids do, he was asking if he should buy them blu-rays or Amazon gift cards or something.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

I only skimmed but it sounded to me like the op was just asking what he could do to stop having his bandwidth go toward streaming 2 4k movies all day every day? Like he didn’t seem like he wanted to stop the kids from doing what kids do, he was asking if he should buy them blu-rays or Amazon gift cards or something.

No specific actual reason/impacts were given because there are none: he literally only knows because of server logs that he's stalking for some reason. If there were a real reason it would have been mentioned right up front.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
If you’re on metered upload, probably don’t hand out access to your Plex server

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

I only skimmed but it sounded to me like the op was just asking what he could do to stop having his bandwidth go toward streaming 2 4k movies all day every day?

I actually really hate being snarky about technical know-how, because everyone starts somewhere--but if that's the case then I'm baffled as to how the OP managed to get a plex server up and running stably enough for a kid to beat the gently caress out of it every single day, and somehow still doesn't know how to gracefully solve a problem like that.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

If you’re on metered upload, probably don’t hand out access to your Plex server

In a way, it comes across as "please use my fibre internet and very expensive NAS to stream Criterion 4k movies and not the same children's move 19 times a day."

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

Chillmatic posted:

I actually really hate being snarky about technical know-how, because everyone starts somewhere--but if that's the case then I'm baffled as to how the OP managed to get a plex server up and running stably enough for a kid to beat the gently caress out of it every single day, and somehow still doesn't know how to gracefully solve a problem like that.

I read it less as a technical question and more as a social question: “is it weird/rude to buy my friend a couple blu-ray’s for their kids?”

I dunno, though. Just speculating because the op didn’t seem to have the tone everyone sent to be reading to.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Motronic posted:

he literally only knows because of server logs that he's stalking for some reason.

You are accurate but suggesting a person is "stalking" could be better worded to not come off as he is doing more than looking at logs.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
AITA? I feel as though my plex server is being treated unjustly.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
The guys being silly, but first of all lol @ any of you thinking looking at Tautulli is stalking, and 2, the guys was kinda being nice and going hey ill buy you the bluray so you dont have to rely on me for something your kid clearly loves.

Granted I didnt read the whole thing but we are all cosplaying Netflix here, who cares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I like looking at all the metrics/neat graphs that tautulli provides :shrug: