Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dackel posted:

It is very easy to relocate your base since deconstruct (B for build then C) gives you everything back. You can even deconstruct your base from the world map if you are exploring and found the perfect spot to plop down right away

Does this deconstruct everything in the base, or do you have to do that manually if you want the stuff back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Oxyclean posted:

Man the building in this game is so rear end. Let me snap foundations to the top/bottom of stairs! Or at least chill the hell out with what counts as overlap.

e: I seriously can't place a palbox on foundations?

Yes you can, you probably just need a larger foundation. They need a certain amount of flat, open space behind them.

explosivo posted:

Also you can just sort your inventory to refresh the timer (for now)

Gonna be so sad when that gets patched out :(

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Subjunctive posted:

Does this deconstruct everything in the base, or do you have to do that manually if you want the stuff back?

Just the palbox, everything else is then just out in the world as if you had placed it outside your base and will therefore start to deteriorate according to game setting

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I managed to repeat my hail mary Mammorest capture on my singleplayer save :toot:

Gyoru posted:

Here's a spot with 8 Ore and 6 Coal nodes all in palbox range. Build a 2x2 or larger elevated Foundation in the center uneven area to flatten it out for building the Palbox + essentials then add stairs. It will never be raided either because there are no entrances and requires flight to reach. It's located above the waterfalls.

Coordinates: 189, -39

Very nice spot, although there's a death pit in the northwest corner you'll probably want to throw some foundations over if you don't want your pals trapped.

It's also real picturesque.

It's cool how you can see your Pals working from so far away.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The render ranges are pretty wild. When its dark you can perch up somewhere high and see all the fast travel points and effigies off in the distance.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Vanwyrms have more stamina than Nitewings

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
I wish I could build bridges or build a base over a river. That'd be cool.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Not sure I'd recommend crafting from the recipes you find right now. It seems to be +100% mats required per rarity tier for rather minimal gains.
Might be worth it at endgame, but when you expect to switch out the gear down the line, eh.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

e: wqrong thread

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

This thread gets some weird trolls.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Sab669 posted:

Yes you can, you probably just need a larger foundation. They need a certain amount of flat, open space behind them.

Yeah, managed to figured it out, had it the wrong way around so it was colliding with me, but the error message for that is just a generic "colliding with something" so I thought it was cranky about the foundations.

Really wish the building was less...lovely in general. I'm actually shocked and annoyed just how hard it is to cheese "stability"/work around floating. Trying to build a nice flat base is kind of hard because the second you meet an area that's lower enough that you can't place a level foundation, it gets really janky trying to create a multi tiered based.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea, the building is by far the weakest aspect of the game.

But if they had to drop the Pokéball somewhere, I guess I'd rather it be on building than anything else.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I'm glad I turned off dropping your inventory when you die, I love poking my nose into higher level areas and getting my poo poo kicked in when a pal or an npc looks at me funny. I guess you never lose your pal gear so you can just stock up on flyers to do naked corpse runs through the air once you hit that point, if you're playing on a server with preset difficulty sliders or just enjoy the added tension in singleplayer.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Do slanted roofs work? I just wanted to make the most basic triangle-on-a-square thing but it kept trying to make the roof come out of the floor. I just went with a flat top to get the bed placed, but I’m curious.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Subjunctive posted:

Do slanted roofs work? I just wanted to make the most basic triangle-on-a-square thing but it kept trying to make the roof come out of the floor. I just went with a flat top to get the bed placed, but I’m curious.

I managed to make some by building poo poo around it first (like a wall next to it) and eventually it just *worked* somehow but I could never figure out how to mirror the triangle wall pieces so I just gave up and made it flat lol.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Korean Boomhauer posted:

I wish I could build bridges or build a base over a river. That'd be cool.

You can do that if the cliff sides aren't too wide.

Make a floor tile at the edge with a wall. That lets you extend 2 roof tiles from the wall over the cliff or river, and you can make stairs from the floor to the first roof tile. If the opposite side of the cliff is close enough, you can do the same thing there and have the ends meet.

Walls first is the secret to get most parts to work. It's also best to do stairs last, because the game happily let's you place them into complex buildings, but it doesn't let you place walls and roofs around stairs.

A pal went over it as I finished it. Pathing can get weird if you build a second level on a structure like that though.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jan 22, 2024

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Just got Flying and man, game owns

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

What exactly is "CT" on a Pal Power?

Cooldown Timer? Is that in Seconds?

Greader
Oct 11, 2012

Sab669 posted:

What exactly is "CT" on a Pal Power?

Cooldown Timer? Is that in Seconds?

Not sure if it's in seconds but yeah, from my experimenting it seems to be how long until the move is usable again. Most noticable if you are riding a pal since you can directly use those moves then.

Edit: Kinda been starting to think of moves now that I unlocked enough where I get to actually change them in and out for some pals and I wonder what the best way to go about it means. Good CT to damage ratio seems the obvious choice, though I feel pals are not necessarily using their skills on cooldown. And of course certain moves have stuff like big windups or projectiles with different properties and so on

Greader fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 22, 2024

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea, at level 30 I'm finally like, "Maybe I should actually think about Pal Combat?"

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Any reason why some of my workers are starving and not getting food from the food box? I thought at first it was a diet/preferences thing but I can manually feed them the same stuff as was in the box.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Do they have hands?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
There are a couple of pals that have powers where they explode rendering them useless until they are put back in the box.
Just a reminder that if you go to a Pals details you can change out or even remove those powers making them not useless.
Useful if you intend to use them at your base.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

explosivo posted:

Any reason why some of my workers are starving and not getting food from the food box? I thought at first it was a diet/preferences thing but I can manually feed them the same stuff as was in the box.

your pathfinding is probably hosed up somewhere, try moving your feed box somewhere away from anything else

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
They're running around on paws and hooves.

Give them the sandwich

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

My biggest problem is increasingly getting enough high quality spheres. Once you’re up to the t3 spheres the costs are pretty high.

Endgame economy seems kinda rough on normal.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

VanillaGorilla posted:

My biggest problem is increasingly getting enough high quality spheres. Once you’re up to the t3 spheres the costs are pretty high.

gotta build a good ore mining facility is all

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I built my first base just a bit outside of the first quick travel statue, in the waterfall area. I made the mistake of trying to build a house, but that seems to just make pathfinding trickier for the monsters so next time Think I'll just make a house for my bed and a few chests of old items and junk.

As for optimizing base next time. Guess I treat them as rudimentary DF dwarves and try to limit any space or patching between their main jobs, resource chests, bed, and food. They all seem fine so far with beds just plopped in the dirt?

I beat the first boss, is this kinda like Valheim where I now should maybe build a forward base to get new resources and areas or do I just pick anywhere cool with metal ore nodes and it doesn't really matter where wth fast travel? Found a flat spot next to a church with a good batch of nodes but it's already a quick travel point so I can just as well mine those whenever I want anyway.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

TeaJay posted:

Oh, so that's why no one in my base hauls wood or stone out of the logging or mining pits and I have to stand there super encumbered trying to get that stuff moving. I have to see if I have captured any level 2 transporters yet. So far I found that Tombat is a good all rounder since he can do various lv 2 tasks. So I gave him dibs on the hot tub.

Highly recommend catching a Vanwyrm, Kindling 1 Transporter 3 means he's almost always cleaning up the base since he's not getting distracted by other jobs, unless you're a freak that queues up 300 roasted berries.

Orv
May 4, 2011
So most of the base related issues seem to be a combination of pathing and job prioritization. First pathing fails, usually because everything is packed too closely in the middle of your base and then after the pal AI screams for a bit their priorities break and they stop doing jobs like transport at all.

Seems like the best option is to not have a 'base' at all, avoid buildings entirely, place everything in widely spaced areas around the outside of your base circle and keep as much room as you can when making additions as you go up the tech tree. I imagine that'll be something that gets better eventually, especially if the article about just how amateur the team behind the game is, is correct.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

cumpantry posted:

gotta build a good ore mining facility is all

How does that work? is there eventually a building for renewable ore like the logging and stone pit? I'm level 26 and haven't seen anything for that so getting ore has felt pretty tedious.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

VanillaGorilla posted:

All core resources like that need to have farms/quarries etc. I know the point of a survival crafter is the grind but this game is vastly more fun as a BOTW-lite where you roam the world and explore.

Are there some higher rank pals that really juice your carry limit? Running with 4 cats and a flyer gets me to 600 weight and that's 1 large ore node and maybe a little extra.

Khanstant posted:

I built my first base just a bit outside of the first quick travel statue, in the waterfall area. I made the mistake of trying to build a house, but that seems to just make pathfinding trickier for the monsters so next time Think I'll just make a house for my bed and a few chests of old items and junk.

As for optimizing base next time. Guess I treat them as rudimentary DF dwarves and try to limit any space or patching between their main jobs, resource chests, bed, and food. They all seem fine so far with beds just plopped in the dirt?

I beat the first boss, is this kinda like Valheim where I now should maybe build a forward base to get new resources and areas or do I just pick anywhere cool with metal ore nodes and it doesn't really matter where wth fast travel? Found a flat spot next to a church with a good batch of nodes but it's already a quick travel point so I can just as well mine those whenever I want anyway.

You kind of want to push forward as the areas 'progress' so to speak with newer pals that drop higher rarity. For the second base it seems like people are trying to find a good ore node, since they respawn, and set it up as a mining camp.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

How does that work? is there eventually a building for renewable ore like the logging and stone pit? I'm level 26 and haven't seen anything for that so getting ore has felt pretty tedious.

There are several places that have 6+ ore veins that respawn every 10-15 minutes or so. Once your base is sufficiently advanced to make a second base, make a palbox, beds and a big or couple chests in the middle of all the ore veins but don't block their respawn. Assign your best mining pals and two or three transportation pals. Drown in ore.

Pals need Mining 2 to mine ore inside the radius of a base, mind you.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Apparently Ore requires level 2 mining on the pal?

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Orv posted:

There are several places that have 6+ ore veins that respawn every 10-15 minutes or so. Once your base is sufficiently advanced to make a second base, make a palbox, beds and a big or couple chests in the middle of all the ore veins but don't block their respawn. Assign your best mining pals and two or three transportation pals. Drown in ore.

Yeah, I have one of these. IF all the pals manage to stay on task it works okay, but that's a big IF. The pathing issues have gotten worse over the course of the game so I have to pop back to base pretty frequently to deal with issues or put Pals back on task.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Orv posted:

Do you know where I can find a Mining 2 Pal? I'm level 30, haven't encountered any. Oh, Tombat has Mining 2!

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jan 22, 2024

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

ShadowMar posted:

your pathfinding is probably hosed up somewhere, try moving your feed box somewhere away from anything else

Yep I had it in a corner inside, that was it. Thanks!

Orv
May 4, 2011
If you can get a bunch of Digitoise, which only have Mining 3 and something with Transporting and nothing else that you're using in the Mining Base it seems to go better.

That said there seems to be a light amount of X style OOB stuff going on, where if you don't visit your base occasionally things just kinda break after being unloaded for long enough.

Sab669 posted:

Do you know where I can find a Mining 2 Pal? I'm level 30, haven't encountered any. Oh, Tombat has Mining 2!

Digitoise from the desert area in the middle NW is the best I've found.

E: Also Dark type pals don't need sleep, they'll just work until their sanity is out and then hit up a hot tub.

Orv fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 22, 2024

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Orv posted:

So most of the base related issues seem to be a combination of pathing and job prioritization. First pathing fails, usually because everything is packed too closely in the middle of your base and then after the pal AI screams for a bit their priorities break and they stop doing jobs like transport at all.

Seems like the best option is to not have a 'base' at all, avoid buildings entirely, place everything in widely spaced areas around the outside of your base circle and keep as much room as you can when making additions as you go up the tech tree. I imagine that'll be something that gets better eventually, especially if the article about just how amateur the team behind the game is, is correct.

They're finicky about entering structures. It's best make stair ramps at the entry points to your base. They're bad with obstacles too. Just about the only thing they'll walk around are walls. Chests and workstations need to be on the periphery with good spacing or they walk right into them.

This is a frankensteined base I ended up with once I realized a scenic cliff location left me with less ground space.

I managed to make them walk up to the third level to use stuff after making every room extra tall.

They still use some objects from below though, like the pal next to my characters head, who is cooling a fridge above it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah I've been able to get pals to behave with buildings by building them in certain ways but it seems like they eventually break there as well.