Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
DoS2’s split armour system turned me off the whole thing (that and not being able to save that one dog without a mod, and not knowing this to the tune of 20+ quickloads that killed my co-op campaign).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Oh hey, at some point the game was patched and now I'm getting 35 fps in chapter 3 instead of 10!

...gently caress, I don't remember what the poo poo I was doing after 5 months.

I'm gonna end up starting over and probably accidentally make the same character :negative:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Shumagorath posted:

DoS2’s split armour system turned me off the whole thing (that and not being able to save that one dog without a mod, and not knowing this to the tune of 20+ quickloads that killed my co-op campaign).

i liked the basic concept behind armor a lot, but the fact that it heavily encouraged single physical/magical comps and the abuse of armor-bypassing effects like teleport brought it down a lot

i still think it's something you could iterate on, but it'd probably require a more mathematical approach that might be harder to glom onto for the average player. for all of D&D's faults, "roll X number to hit Y AC" is intuitive enough for basically everyone to get on the first go

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I replay BG1/2 every year or every other year, and they’re still awesome games with fun and engaging combat. Especially BG2 with its overpowered mage duals. RTwP is great in those games as well as the Pillars games. Turn based is also great. One is not inherently better than the other.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

I replay BG1/2 every year or every other year, and they’re still awesome games with fun and engaging combat. Especially BG2 with its overpowered mage duals. RTwP is great in those games as well as the Pillars games. Turn based is also great. One is not inherently better than the other.

Mage duals are one thing I wish BG3 had, but I don't know if 5E rules work for it

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Yeah I replayed 2 a year ago after having only played it once in 2018 and it was still an incredibly tight experience. Only real knock against it aside from ToB being a bit ehhhh is that you can catch a whiff of "oops no budget" happening during the Underdark City bit. That and the Genie/Druid area feeling underbaked

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The impression I get from people who actually enjoyed those rtwp games leaned heavily on magic because, as adaptations of AD&D, a huge chunk of the actual game mechanics (spitballing from distant memory I'll say about 75% of the PHB) were in the magic system and, at least purely mechanically (which is the only context that matters in a single player crpg) any class that didn't interact with it was basically either ablative meat armor or the designated thief skill jockey.

So you're basically playing it like a moderate-micro rts army, Attack Move guys in the front and the casters you actually mechanically engage with in the back. But let's be real Shadow Tactics or any given Total Warhams puts the gameplay of Icewind Dale to shame.

Runa fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 22, 2024

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
RTwP (in the classical crpg usage, not the "Mario is an RPG" literal definition where you apply it to any game where you can pause) is pretty garbage. You can try to salvage it (god knows Pillars 2 tried) but by it's nature you're going to get a lot of the same tactical decisions you'd see in a turn based game, but in a format that's incredibly muddy and unnecessarily hard to parse. There's a reason the big strength that people always bring up in its favor is "it makes trash fights fast" rather than anything about the parts of the game where you have to actually engage with it.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Whether RTwP is a good system has everything to do with encounter design. It works in BG3 because everything is by ans large a meaningful, interesting encounter. In games like Wrath of the Righteous (or any Owlcat game really), or anything with a lot of trash fights, you'll be begging for RTwP just to blast through garbage faster. It's for this reason that BG 1 and 2 really benefitted from it.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Snake Maze posted:

There's a reason the big strength that people always bring up in its favor is "it makes trash fights fast" rather than anything about the parts of the game where you have to actually engage with it.

I used to think that was a really silly reason but ngl after experiencing some of big fights in this game I kinda sympathize with it now. Having to wait for 50 dudes take their turn even when they might literally not be able to accomplish anything is exhausting at times

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Granted this is why jrpgs have an auto-battle option.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
In act 3 on my second proper full playthrough now...

I love how all the dialogue options where you tell Jaheira she's old or being a jerk get you approval from her.

The thing they do with a lot of books where they just give you a little summary of what the gist of it is, it works so much better than games like Skyrim where they give you a long excerpt written boringly.

Also I just noticed that Gortash's shirt under his enormous blazer has flames on it making it basically the fantasy equivalent of a Guy Fieri shirt. Love it.

Jose posted:

they got really lazy with names in act 3 eh

lazy or amazing? I love all the dumb little guys they filled the city with.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I'm about to go into the underdark my second playthrough. They loving nailed the underdark.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Found a fun bug with the ending. If Orpheus is in displacer beast form when you beat the final boss LZ acts like he is dead and you don’t get the scene where you figure out what to do with him

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Living his best life.

Jimmy Noskill
Nov 5, 2010

My son was watching me fight the spider matriach. The queen and two of the regular spiders were on one of the webbing bridges when he tells me "daddy, break the web!" I tried to explain to him that while that's a good idea, you can't actually do things like that in video games. "Then why does it have a health bar?" he asks me.

So that's how a five-year-old helped me beat the spider matriarch.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
He also stays in the displacer beast form in the final scene, it’s funny

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

He also stays in the displacer beast form in the final scene, it’s funny
Wouldn’t you?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Jimmy Noskill posted:

My son was watching me fight the spider matriach. The queen and two of the regular spiders were on one of the webbing bridges when he tells me "daddy, break the web!" I tried to explain to him that while that's a good idea, you can't actually do things like that in video games. "Then why does it have a health bar?" he asks me.

So that's how a five-year-old helped me beat the spider matriarch.

Shooting hinges and levers, burning spider webs, lobbing kobold barrels at people

They really captured tabletop logic in a video game

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The romance scene with Lae'zel in act III where she :pervert:wakes you up so you can watch the sunrise together:pervert: is so damned sweet and wholesome. She has my favourite player relationship arc of the ones I've seen so far. It's especially great given where you start with her in Act I and how so many people complain that she comes on so strong and is abrasive and one-note.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Has anyone made a gnome brawler or something and had Karlach fastball special you into enemies?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Why are all my favourite game studios in the UK so when they come out with official merch ends up costing like CA$70 for one t-shirt when you include shipping? :negative:

This is Hellblade all over again.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
i cant believe they put the 'end concentration spell' in such an unintuitive and hard to find place, jeez louise

also why is wyll such a slut for me but karlach won't give me the time of day? :smith:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Eau de MacGowan posted:

i cant believe they put the 'end concentration spell' in such an unintuitive and hard to find place, jeez louise

also why is wyll such a slut for me but karlach won't give me the time of day? :smith:

karlach has a very specific set of conditions to trigger her romance that you can miss entirely going from act 1 to act 2, whereas wyll's, perhaps appropriately enough, is basically just "rest at any point during act 2 and it'll come up"

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Vermain posted:

karlach has a very specific set of conditions to trigger her romance that you can miss entirely going from act 1 to act 2

noooo i'm already in act three

i guess i'm going to have to settle for shadowheart :smith:

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Ginette Reno posted:

As good as BG3 is I'd wager it'd be even better with a system that Larian designed from the ground up

God no. Larian apparently works best when they have some lines within which to color. This is far, far, far away the best game they've made.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Entropic posted:

The romance scene with Lae'zel in act III where she :pervert:wakes you up so you can watch the sunrise together:pervert: is so damned sweet and wholesome. She has my favourite player relationship arc of the ones I've seen so far. It's especially great given where you start with her in Act I and how so many people complain that she comes on so strong and is abrasive and one-note.

I romanced her as a joke because she was the funny aggro frog lady and then I fell in love with her for real irl

grinnard
Apr 10, 2012

Entropic posted:

The thing they do with a lot of books where they just give you a little summary of what the gist of it is, it works so much better than games like Skyrim where they give you a long excerpt written boringly.

It bugs me that the text stays flat as the page curves towards the spine though, makes it look overlayed on a book texture rather than actually in the book.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I had my easiest House of Grief fight just now.

Shadowheart and I are both clerics, so we have two Djinns and Heroes Feast going. I remembered someone here saying something about the Globe of Invulnerability and fights where they reflect your radiant damage back at you.

So turn 1, the first character that can casts Globe from a scroll (Lae’zel, which is a pretty funny choice but whatever), then Tav uses Black Hole to gather everyone up, Shadowheart uses her Divine Intervention and takes no damage, and the 2 clerics mop up with Black Hole and Flame Strike.

The whole thing was over in I think 4 rounds thanks to 2 stragglers who were still hanging out at the top of the stairs, so they were missed by the AoEs.

RTwP chat: It encourages lazy encounter design. When your player can just turn the difficult basically off and not touch the mouse until combat is over, you can have to pad the content with trash mobs and even trash fights. This wasn’t as obvious even a few years ago, but now it sticks out.

The placement of, say, the goblins around the Blighted Village is so carefully done, especially contrasted to just wandering around maps until you see an enemy and then kill half of them before they get into melee range.

It was a good option for a lot of the classic games, but it really doesn’t hold up anymore. I don’t think I’ll ever finish PoE 2 because of it.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
:siren:SHADOWHEART HAS DITCHED THE BOWLCUT. THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING.:siren:

seriously been wanting to sing a modified version of this at her since day one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaPk-TGwHEg

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
I am thinking of doing a run where I change everyone's classes into the most inappropriate one possible.
Astarion - life domain cleric of Lathander
Gale - barbarian
Karlach - infernal warlock
Shadowheart - ranger with a wolf companion
Lae'zel - bard

Any other ideas?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Dragonwagon posted:

I am thinking of doing a run where I change everyone's classes into the most inappropriate one possible.
Astarion - life domain cleric of Lathander
Gale - barbarian
Karlach - infernal warlock
Shadowheart - ranger with a wolf companion
Lae'zel - bard

Any other ideas?

If only there was a chastity domain for clerics; it would be perfect for Halsin. In the absence of one though, maybe one of the more nefarious cleric domains?

And of course Jaheira should be an oathbreaker paladin.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Minsc would be a conjurer wizard (Edwin was a conjurer).

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Halsin would be funny as a rogue or wizard. The biggest buffest elf either squatting sneakily in the bushes or leafing thoughtfully through a nerd spellbook

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

After the Kart racer, Baldurs Gate 3: Groovin' All Nite, the Puyo Puyo game, the fighting game and soccer game on the Game Boy Advance.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
Just started a Shart origin run for the first time, but if I romance another companion as Shart, do I only get the companions romance scenes or do you get some combination of the two scenes? That would be cool if you get double the content.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

AgentHaiTo posted:

Just started a Shart origin run for the first time, but if I romance another companion as Shart, do I only get the companions romance scenes or do you get some combination of the two scenes? That would be cool if you get double the content.

I did Origin Astarion in a 4 man co-op. I never got the Act 1 or Quest Conclusion bite scene. But I did get a unique dream sequence on the first long rest. Unique interactions with the quest finale.

So I saw Lae’zels final romance scene I’m talking some skin to skin hand holding but I never saw the Astarion romance scenes where he goes for a bite. This could be because one of the bites is a kill condition or because this run started at launch and was bugged as hell.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

AgentHaiTo posted:

No but you can get some unlikely outcomes, for example a romanced Shadowheart can go with Karlach and Wyll to Avernus.

Dragonwagon posted:

Lae'zel - bard

Lae'zel approaches me as someone who was still First Chair Violin at Creche Camp because it's another thing she could be better than someone else at.

exquisite tea fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jan 22, 2024

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

exquisite tea posted:

No but you can get some unlikely outcomes, for example a romanced Shadowheart can go with Karlach and Wyll to Avernus.

Lae'zel approaches me as someone who was still First Chair Violin at Creche Camp because it's another thing she could be better than someone else at.

I figured about the romance content, but Larian has surprised me before.

Also, githyanki band must be some cutthroat drama for first chair, and with a band director like J.K. Simmons from Whiplash :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

The only origin PC that has unique sex scenes is Karlach, unless I'm forgetting something niche.