Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

He also is a reactionary dipshit now

I would like to know more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
https://twitter.com/cullenthecomic/status/1749143495116562797?t=yIccDwsQhp4zgcAjsC2t0g&s=19

Mary Berg is fully exonerated. Michael Buble must pay for what he did

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Ed the Sock isn't a chud, just a cringe machine lb who apparently spent a bunch of time excusing Trudeau's blackface so that's about as much research as I'm willing to do on him.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Precambrian Video Games posted:

Ed the Sock isn't a chud, just a cringe machine lb who apparently spent a bunch of time excusing Trudeau's blackface so that's about as much research as I'm willing to do on him.

Oh you have no idea.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
the guy behind it seems to be very early gen-x and like a lot of people in that cohort, doesn't realize that he stopped being hip and progressive about 30 years ago

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

I think he was really mad about gender for a while too

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

chud, got it

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Actually I was thinking of WCW wrestler Disco Inferno all along. My bad

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Sugar and Carlos are chuds

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Snit from The Zone has gone woke

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
PJ Phil is a wrestler. he won tag team belts at a Toronto indy show

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Strombo and Nardwuar are our last hope

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Vancouver's transit system including the skytrain is supposedly going to be on strike tomorrow, so either show solidarity or be mad that you need to be somewhere tomorrow, whatever applies to you :)

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Transit strikes are epic because all the libbest people lose their freakin minds. Uh excuse me solidarity with workers and all that but I'm trying to get to my corner office at Computer Touchers LLC. and I don't appreciate the disruption. Maybe try writing a letter?

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

They shouldn't be allowed to do this when I wanna take the seabus to Lonsdale Quay for the memes :mad:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Mister Speaker posted:

Strombo and Nardwuar are our last hope

When's Nardwuar getting the order of Canada

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Does the order of Canada come with prize money because my partner keeps getting nominated for it but never wins and I'm not sure if I should be really mad that he hasn't gotten one yet

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

or maybe it's the Molson Prize? I honestly can't remember

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Nominating myself to add "Order of Canada nominee" to my CV.

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

Nominating myself to add "Molson Prize nominee" to my CV.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Snit from The Zone has gone woke

I hope the AI ads get to the point where they're reporting on fake stories about how all the PJs have been rounded up and put in stockades. Just increasingly obscure canadian celebs arrested for vague crimes.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Does the order of Canada come with prize money because my partner keeps getting nominated for it but never wins and I'm not sure if I should be really mad that he hasn't gotten one yet

I believe some civil awards in the Canadian Honours System are accompanied by prizes.

I know the government rewards athletic medal winners with bounties for podium positions, for example.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
any goons in burnaby? i wanna know what the stink smelled like

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Please tell me PJ Phresh Phil is cool and not a reactionary dip poo poo.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Turpitude posted:

any goons in burnaby? i wanna know what the stink smelled like

it was the refinery farting

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I'll be showing solidarity by taking a taxi to my job interview and then maybe I'll take a nice stroll home depends on the weather idk.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Femtosecond posted:

Please tell me PJ Phresh Phil is cool and not a reactionary dip poo poo.

He does wrestling.

He seems cool enough

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

they should do Jian Ghomeshi next

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

He also is a reactionary dipshit now

Ah thank god this isn't true.

He is a morning show radio host though and there's always something off about those people.

Yellow Ant
Feb 28, 2016
Ed the Sock wants to be famous again so badly, but knows conservatives are bad and not cool. Hes just another Canadian zionist who was fine with a nazi being applauded in parliament.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Just lol if your library didn't have the full NFB VHS collection.

reminder that the nfb keeps pretty much everything they produced available online for streaming for free, check their website

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

NS government stepped in a few years ago to override municipal government and fastrack suburban development and the results are good baybee. $800,000 houses downriver from toxic sludge leftover from an old goldmine

"Halifax Examiner posted:

4. Good news! People living in tents can now buy $800,000 homes in Port Wallace
[...]

Thanks to the Houston governments swift action in responding to the housing crisis by fast-tracking Clayton Developments housing project in Port Wallace, those tent dwellers can now purchase a brand new house on a new cul-de-sac idyllically named Pearlgarden Close.

Pearlgarden? Is Clayton suggesting that oyster beds will be part of the development? I dont see any open public land for oyster beds along the street, so I guess you have to bring your own oysters and tend to them yourself. But from a sales standpoint, Pearlgarden is probably better than Arsenicgarden, so theres that.

The thousand tent-dwellers will have to compete to purchase just 23 properties listed for sale on Pearlgarden Close, but fear not another 26 lots on the street are still in the development stage and should be offered for sale soon.

Tent-dwellers can choose between two home styles.

The first is the discounted Bree style, which sells for just $724,900 and is described as follows:

Presenting the Bree plan by Rooftight in the Parks of Lake Charles. This contemporary 3 bedroom, 3.5 bathroom home has everything youd need in a single family detached home. The heart of this home is its open-concept living/dining/kitchen area with a walkout to the back deck, creating a seamless and inviting space for daily living and indoor/ outdoor entertaining. The kitchen is complete with a large walk-in pantry for convenient storage and easy access to culinary essentials. The lower floor offers versatility with a flex space use it for a home office or rec room you choose. This additional space provides a quiet retreat for work or leisure, adding an extra layer of functionality to the home. Upstairs, three spacious bedrooms await, offering comfortable retreats for rest and relaxation. With four bathrooms throughout the home, convenience is at your fingertips, ensuring that every member of the household has their own personal space. Invest in the new construction home you have been waiting for at our best single family detached price point. Choose your favourite lot and make this three-storey masterpiece your own in Dartmouths most exciting new community.

You gotta admit, thats quite a step up from an ice fishing shelter on Grand Parade.

And it gets better. If the tent-dwellers can save a bit of money by cutting back on their Tims spending, they can go a bit upmarket and buy the Apres Ski style house, which sells for $879,900 and is described as follows:

Welcome to the Apres Ski, A Luxurious Chalet-Style Home the newest 34ft lot plan by Rooftight! This stunning home features luxury finishes throughout: including a wet bar in the basement, large walk-in pantry & two-story living room with vaulted ceilings. Experience the Apres Ski: With a cozy chalet vibe, The Apres Ski has a cool factor that is hard to resist. The luxury features make this small home feel grand. The two-story living room is a showstopper, with vaulted ceilings that give the space an airy and open feel. The wet bar in the basement is perfect for entertaining guests or relaxing after a long day. With 4 bedrooms and 3.5 bathrooms, there is plenty of space for a family or guests. Chat with us more about the Rooftight 5 Year Whole Home Warranty and fall in love with the Apres Ski!

A wet bar and a cool factor!

But who am I kidding? People living in tents on Grand Parade arent going to want to live in the Parks* of Lake Charles (*no actual parks provided) because of the inconvenience the Port Wallace bus (the #55) only runs once an hour.

In reality, these homes are being marketed to people who already own houses. So I have to wonder how fast-tracking Port Wallace helps the homelessness situation at all. Or helps apartment dwellers fearing the coming 5% rent increase.

Lets back up. Recall that in response to the housing crisis, in 2021 the Houston government didnt commit to building lots of new and affordable public housing, and it didnt better fund cooperative housing. Rather, the Houston government created a new housing task force which, meeting in secret, could override Halifax Regional Municipalitys development regulations.

That task force, then chaired by Geoff MacLellan, declared nine special planning areas in which development would be fast-tracked past environmental and planning rules.

As Zane Woodford reported, eight of the nine special planning areas are outside the urban area defined by the Centre Plan [i.e. the city centre and closest suburbs, the places that already have servicable infrastructure], and none of them are on the Halifax peninsula. And six of the nine special planning areas are being developed either fully or partly by Clayton Developments including Port Wallace.

[...]

Port Wallace had been in the development pipeline for some years, but was delayed because it sits downstream from the historic and arsenic-laden Montague gold mine tailings. Joan Baxter detailed the many environmental concerns raised by the Port Wallace development in her three-part series Port Wallace Gamble. And I rather foolishly sloshed around the old gold mine tailings during one of last years deluges.

In any event, now there are 49 houses of either the Bree or Apres Ski model for sale along the possibly arsenic-poisoned Barrys Run that runs through the development.

The usual sorts of insufferable people are right now stroking their chins and saying, sure, Bousquet, homeless people wont be moving into the new homes in Port Wallace, but any new housing will make housing more affordable for everyone.

The argument goes like this: you build some new $800,000 houses, and people who were living in $600,000 houses buy them, and so those $600,000 houses are bought by people who were living in $500,000 houses and on down the line until Killam Apartment REIT has to lower the rent in some crappy apartment in North Dartmouth from $1,400 a month to $1,200 a month and homelessness is solved.

Its the invisible handjob of the market, bringing affordable housing to all. All bow to the god of unfettered capitalism.

This is, of course, horseshit. No matter how many new suburban $800,000 houses are built downstream from toxic gold mines, Killam isnt going to lower the rent on its crappy North Dartmouth apartments.

Rather, whats happening is a classic case of Disaster Capitalism using the housing crisis as the excuse, the government deregulated and even subsidized corporations like Clayton Developments so they could more quickly realize enormous profits on high-margin property sales to the wealthy.

[...]

Meanwhile, the needs of the poorest citizens will be met by normalizing substandard housing, creating new Pallet villages without plumbing in the units a government-sanctioned housing policy that was not even conceivable five years ago.

If we came across Pallet villages in sub-Saharan Africa or elsewhere in the global south, we would critically and correctly call them slums, a demonstration of the abject failure of government.

So this is where were at: dopey plastic Apres Ski McMansions next to an arsenic-laden stream for sale to the few who can lay claim to being upwardly mobile, while the poorest who can no longer afford crappy apartments in North Dartmouth can live in Pallet slums.

Again, there is another way: the government can and must build and operate lots and lots of truly affordable housing, stat.

Fun sidenote, the current president of Clayton Developments used to be CAO of the city government and was involved in getting the initial approval for the poison suburb pushed through before the environmental halt was put in place. Every level is rotten and the people love it

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

"basement wet bar" is a great euphemism for "we built this on a flood plain", someone psy me for this insight.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

"basement wet bar" is a great euphemism for "we built this on a flood plain", someone psy me for this insight.

lol

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
want that invisible handjob of the market

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

slurp ramp, but nationalized

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

All of our problems are over

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FH-IBiw8PzA

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
personally I'm thrilled that the price to pay for this policy that definitely will solve the houisng crisis once and for all is: half of all Ontario universities go bankrupt :thumbsup:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

vyelkin posted:

personally I'm thrilled that the price to pay for this policy that definitely will solve the houisng crisis once and for all is: half of all Ontario universities go bankrupt :thumbsup:

it depends how bc and Ontario split up their student visa allotments. Ontarios universities have definitely been dependent on international students to balance the books for awhile, but they havent been running full on diploma mills like a lot of colleges were. its entirely possible universities can just skate by okay for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Arivia posted:

it depends how bc and Ontario split up their student visa allotments. Ontarios universities have definitely been dependent on international students to balance the books for awhile, but they havent been running full on diploma mills like a lot of colleges were. its entirely possible universities can just skate by okay for this.

half of Ontario's public universities are already running budget deficits because of Ford's insane funding cuts, and the only two places they've been able to make up shortfalls have been donations/corporate partnerships (unreliable and highly concentrated in the biggest universities that need extra funding the least) and international student tuition. The feds stepping in to do a huge cut in international student numbers while leaving it up to the province how their international student quota will be allocated just means Ford gets to decide which universities fail and which ones don't.