Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Google Jeb Bush posted:

Inflation was basically global and largely driven by supply disruptions, followed by price manipulation and oligopolies with the excuse of supply disruptions. If your media sources are telling you it's government spending that drove inflation - which is my inference from your posts, maybe I'm wrong and you are instead blaming the administration being slow on the draw to punish price manipulation and its shiny new software facilitators- then you need to reevaluate them.

Are you claiming that economic stimulus isn’t inflationary, or that it wasn’t a factor in post COVID inflation? Either way, please cite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Are you posting from 2020

Queering Wheel posted:

- Not everyone's last four years were lovely

- Even though they were lovely for many people, not everyone blames Biden for that

Is there reason to be quick to dismiss? More people may be feeling this than not, according to polls.

quote:

Source: https://harvardharrispoll.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/12/HHP_Dec23_KeyResults.pdf

quote:

This survey was conducted online within the United States from December 13-14 among 2,034 registered voters by The Harris Poll and HarrisX.

Results were weighted for age within gender, region, race/ethnicity, marital status, household size, income, employment, education, political party, and political ideology where necessary to align them with their actual proportions in the population. Propensity score weighting was also used to adjust for respondents' propensity to be online.

12 years a lurker
Aug 17, 2022

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Is your issue that Biden has run too far to the left? I also expected him to be Obama 2.0 and so far he's exceeded that. I'd love to see him handle Israel differently but I don't think Obama would've.

Picking this one out of the flood, it kind of boils down to this:

1) For people in the middle, the Democrats are too far left, the Republicans are too far right. I generally want someone who is competent and on the moderate wing of their party. I think this is reasonably representative of swing voters. Obama was a Good President by this metric - not too extreme, very capable. I particularly value recognizing that Climate Change is a problem and doing something about it (Biden has been great here, even if I don't like him overall) and not discriminating against people like me (I'm a white jewish male, so this generally pushes me to the Republicans on the white male part and the cesspool of antisemitism and alliances with antisemitism of the last few months [you can be antizionist without being antisemitic or allying with antisemites in theory, but there's been a lot of antisemitism and allying with those people in practice] has not been helping even if Biden individually is fine) but those are personal things and not really extendable like preferring competent centrists is.

2) I do think that the trillions of dollars of deficit stimulus spending without offsetting tax increases caused our recent inflation problems. This is partially Trump's fault too, although the 2021 stimulus was the straw that broke the camel's back. If you print and spend a ton of dollars they are worth less. Spending gets paid for one way or another - I'm okay with it within reason and when paid for with progressive taxation. That it landed on food and housing specifically and a handful of corporations with monopoly pricing power pushed things even further was really bad luck. It's a hard problem to solve now that the genie is out of the bottle. I would have been fine with the administration if they admitted they screwed up, stated that they learned from it and wouldn't do massive spending bills without tax offsets again, and apologized for the damage done. Instead we got gaslighting that it was just transitory, and then when that no longer became credible blame shifting and attempts to say it was worthwhile and necessary to whittle unemployment a bit below average. As an middle/upper-middle class renter I was personally hit a lot worse by the housing end than the food end, but have enough awareness of others that the food part was the real killer for the general public.

12 years a lurker fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jan 22, 2024

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Sorry for answering for Jeb Bush. Yeah just want to highlight that 2.6% of inflation absolutely did happen thanks to the american rescue plan. Which in itself sucks but is fixable. It was the price gouging that is tolerated by our government that is the problem.

However I'm going to quote the Fed itself on this one.

The United States Federal Reserve's own research posted:

The COVID-19 pandemic hampered firms' ability to produce and consumers' ability to consume. In response to economic disturbances, many governments resorted to large fiscal stimulus. This policy was successful at boosting consumption which, together with relatively inelastic supply, may have led to supply chain bottlenecks and price tensions.

However, one should also recognize the positive role played by generous government support throughout this unprecedented crisis. The large spending supported a strong economic rebound, with both GDP and employment recovering at a remarkable pace, likely preventing worse outcomes despite the price pressures that may have resulted from the spending.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

12 years a lurker posted:

I generally want someone who is competent and on the moderate wing of their party.

Please explain how, judging by these criteria, one could rationalize a vote for Trump when the alternative was Joe Biden

I mean you're right in that that criteria is how a theoretical Haley candidacy beats Biden but anybody claiming Trump is any kind of "moderate" or even capable of faking any kind of competency at all, is more deranged than a Q cultist.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

Haven't decided yet if I will be voting for Biden, Trump, or leaving the presidential ballot blank if the likely rematch happens.

This board has gotten partisan enough that a lot of ability to empathize with and understand non-partisans has been lost.

It amazes me that there are people who seriously contemplate voting for Trump, and yet in the same post will accuse other people of having a lack of empathy. If Trump's actions to date have not been enough to ensure that a person won't vote for him, that person's inability to empathize with the many victims of his policies and the policies he enables makes any accusation of other people losing the ability to empathize absolutely absurd. Trump is an awful person who does awful things to people on both a personal and political level, seriously contemplating a vote for him and the explicit support for his personal and political actions, plus the political actions he enables, indicates an absolutely breathtaking lack of empathy. "I'm not sure if I'll voten Biden or leave it blank (or vote third party, which is practically the same thing)" I can empathize with, but voting for Trump is something I do not have any empathy for and do not wish to.

I'm also rather skeptical of anyone who cares enough to post about it claiming to be 'non-partisan' or 'undecided' - my experience is that people in that category (as well as 'centrists' or 'socially liberal, fiscal conservative's and the like) are solidly Republican but don't like that Republicans have taken the mask off and don't want to be associated with the outright bigotry and hatred even though they're fine with voting for it. (I certainly believe there are people who don't pay much attention to news and politics or feel so disenfranchised that they tune it all out, but I don't buy that they come to a debate and discussion board to talk about their lack of interest in voting).

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

It amazes me that there are people who seriously contemplate voting for Trump, and yet in the same post will accuse other people of having a lack of empathy. If Trump's actions to date have not been enough to ensure that a person won't vote for him, that person's inability to empathize with the many victims of his policies and the policies he enables makes any accusation of other people losing the ability to empathize absolutely absurd. Trump is an awful person who does awful things to people on both a personal and political level, seriously contemplating a vote for him and the explicit support for his personal and political actions, plus the political actions he enables, indicates an absolutely breathtaking lack of empathy. "I'm not sure if I'll voten Biden or leave it blank (or vote third party, which is practically the same thing)" I can empathize with, but voting for Trump is something I do not have any empathy for and do not wish to.

I'm also rather skeptical of anyone who cares enough to post about it claiming to be 'non-partisan' or 'undecided' - my experience is that people in that category (as well as 'centrists' or 'socially liberal, fiscal conservative's and the like) are solidly Republican but don't like that Republicans have taken the mask off and don't want to be associated with the outright bigotry and hatred even though they're fine with voting for it. (I certainly believe there are people who don't pay much attention to news and politics or feel so disenfranchised that they tune it all out, but I don't buy that they come to a debate and discussion board to talk about their lack of interest in voting).

If its reasonable to vote for Biden despite his policy on mulching Palestinians, its reasonable to vote for Trump despite his policies on "insert whatever you want here' All you need is a single policy you agree with and the your decision on who to vote for is entirely internally justified and cannot be challenged.

12 years a lurker
Aug 17, 2022

Please explain how, judging by these criteria, one could rationalize a vote for Trump when the alternative was Joe Biden

I mean you're right in that that criteria is how a theoretical Haley candidacy beats Biden but anybody claiming Trump is any kind of "moderate" or even capable of faking any kind of competency at all, is more deranged than a Q cultist.

I can't rationalize a vote for Trump. Trump had the same thing happen as Biden were he was fine as a candidate and awful as a sitting president. This isn't a universal opinion of liking the winner as a candidate and not once in power: Clinton was good, Obama was good, Bush was bad but only narrowly because of global warming and Iraq. The choice between by far the worst management of the economy in my lifetime and disrespect for Democracy is a terrible one, and I was really hoping not to have to make it.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I can't rationalize a vote for Trump. Trump had the same thing happen as Biden were he was fine as a candidate and awful as a sitting president. This isn't a universal opinion of liking the winner as a candidate and not once in power: Clinton was good, Obama was good, Bush was bad but only narrowly because of global warming and Iraq. The choice between by far the worst management of the economy in my lifetime and disrespect for Democracy is a terrible one, and I was really hoping not to have to make it.

What was fine about candidate Trump?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

celadon posted:

If its reasonable to vote for Biden despite his policy on mulching Palestinians, its reasonable to vote for Trump despite his policies on "insert whatever you want here' All you need is a single policy you agree with and the your decision on who to vote for is entirely internally justified and cannot be challenged.

The problem with this is that Trump doesn't actually have policies, or positions, he just has things he's waving his dick at in a particular moment. Nothing he says can ever be taken as a true statement of his intent, and even if you do, you can't expect him to competently execute on that intent, because he's incompetent. Voting for him is like voting for a bomb with a lit, broken fuse. It's not just evil, it's moronic, because you don't actually "agree" with Trump on anything. He's too stupid and too malicious for agreement to be possible. If you think he agrees with you, you're just his sucker.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jan 22, 2024

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Trump had the same thing happen as Biden were he was fine as a candidate and awful as a sitting president.

When Donald Trump was a candidate he called for all Muslims to be banned from entering the United States, and also had a tape released where he discussed how he liked to grope women because when you're famous they let you do it.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

socialsecurity posted:

I remember half this forum ironically loved Trump because he made the rest of the field look like clowns

Then he actually got elected

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

The problem with this is that Trump doesn't actually have policies, or positions, he just has things he's waving his dick at in a particular moment. Nothing he says can ever be taken as a true statement of his intent, and even if you do, you can't expect him to competently execute on that intent, because he's incompetent. Voting for him is like voting for a bomb with a lit, broken fuse. It's not just evil, it's moronic.

It doesn't really matter. If its reasonable and prudent to vote for Biden despite his policy to reduce thousands of children into spare parts, then its equally reasonable to vote for Trump with the justification of "well i think his policies on oil and gas exploration are more appropriate at this time than Biden's". And the latter is equally justifiable because you've set up a moral system where it is totally fine to ignore policies promoting ethnic cleansing. And basically everything else is going to fall below ethnic cleansing in any ethical system you set up. I mean feel free to construct and post an ethical system where ethnic cleansing is sort of one of the mid-tier sins, not great but not terrible. So how can you be upset at someone who is for voting Trump because of his tax plan despite Trump's reproductive rights policies when you're happily voting for someone who is supporting the conversion of Palestinians into their raw components at mass scale cause you like the people they are gonna probably nominate for judicial positions?

12 years a lurker
Aug 17, 2022

socialsecurity posted:

He campaigned from the moderate end of the party (if you remember 2016 all the extreme right people wanted Cruz), clearly wasn't a true believer in the religious-right social stuff, and didn't seem likely to actually do much if elected from a policy standpoint except maybe build a fence on the border with Mexico and crack down on one-sided trade with China which aren't key issues for me but things I generally approve of. For what it's worth I liked candidate Hillary too and none of my local races were competitive and so didn't bother to vote that year.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Picking this one out of the flood, it kind of boils down to this:

1) For people in the middle, the Democrats are too far left, the Republicans are too far right. I generally want someone who is competent and on the moderate wing of their party. I think this is reasonably representative of swing voters. Obama was a Good President by this metric - not too extreme, very capable. I particularly value recognizing that Climate Change is a problem and doing something about it (Biden has been great here, even if I don't like him overall) and not discriminating against people like me (I'm a white jewish male, so this generally pushes me to the Republicans on the white male part and the cesspool of antisemitism and alliances with antisemitism of the last few months [you can be antizionist without being antisemitic or allying with antisemites in theory, but there's been a lot of antisemitism and allying with those people in practice] has not been helping even if Biden individually is fine) but those are personal things and not really extendable like preferring competent centrists is.

2) I do think that the trillions of dollars of deficit stimulus spending without offsetting tax increases caused our recent inflation problems. This is partially Trump's fault too, although the 2021 stimulus was the straw that broke the camel's back. If you print and spend a ton of dollars they are worth less. Spending gets paid for one way or another - I'm okay with it within reason and when paid for with progressive taxation. That it landed on food and housing specifically and a handful of corporations with monopoly pricing power pushed things even further was really bad luck. It's a hard problem to solve now that the genie is out of the bottle. I would have been fine with the administration if they admitted they screwed up, stated that they learned from it and wouldn't do massive spending bills without tax offsets again, and apologized for the damage done. Instead we got gaslighting that it was just transitory, and then when that no longer became credible blame shifting and attempts to say it was worthwhile and necessary to whittle unemployment a bit below average. As an middle/upper-middle class renter I was personally hit a lot worse by the housing end than the food end, but have enough awareness of others that the food part was the real killer for the general public.

You said you wanted a competent moderate, but from the sound of your specific complaints, what you really want is the one who most benefits you personally, regardless of where they actually sit on the political spectrum. You feel the Republicans are better for upper-middle-class straight white males, so that's who you're going with.

Tax offsets wouldn't have saved us from those years of inflation. Whatever the impact of the stimulus may have been, major supply disruptions were definitely a major contributing factor to quite a few of the price increases. Our just-in-time global production chains are hyperspecialized for maximum profit, but that means they're not very resilient against disruptions or unexpected shifts. And not only did the pandemic throw global supply chains way out of whack, but a number of high-level business types were convinced it was going to cause a massive recession and tank customer demand, so they made the wrong decisions and screwed up their production in ways that took quite a while to untangle.

I feel like "a couple of years of high inflation in the wake of a historic global pandemic" and "literally fascism" shouldn't be balanced quite so evenly on your scales.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

celadon posted:

My issue with this framing is two fold:

A. There is nobody serious in the presidential election race who are running on a campaign of assisting Palestine and there is no competitor in the race who won't assist in the genocide. Not only will Trump likely not side with Palestine but he has every incentive to only accelerate Israel's campaign in Gaza and green light even worse atrocities. He will likely support Russia's campaign against Ukraine as well as actively try to harm United States citizens. He himself says that he intends to be a dictator. Why should we believe that is simply a joke when all his "jokes" in the past were not jokes?

So if we're voting on basic level of harm reduction, unfortunately the choices are pretty limited due to the "First Past the Post" design of our election system. Which is the real problem in this instance and creates incentive to continue momentum politics like supporting Israel.

B. I find this generally comes from a "America is the only nation with agency" kind of thinking and it leaves the United States completely responsible for Israel's actions. It is completely wrong that Biden is assisting Israel's war crimes against Palestine and I'm going to always strongly protest against that. But Israel's problems are also Israeli's citizens problems to solve.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I remember half this forum ironically loved Trump because he made the rest of the field look like clowns

Hey I could enjoy the humiliation of Jeb! just as much as I'm savoring the humiliation of Ron! but that doesn't mean I ever liked the guy and never recognized what he is.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

He campaigned from the moderate end of the party (if you remember 2016 all the extreme right people wanted Cruz), clearly wasn't a true believer in the religious-right social stuff, and didn't seem likely to actually do much if elected from a policy standpoint except maybe build a fence on the border with Mexico and crack down on one-sided trade with China which aren't key issues for me but things I generally approve of. For what it's worth I liked candidate Hillary too and none of my local races were competitive and so didn't bother to vote that year.

Ok define moderate then, what positions did he campaign on that were more moderate than Cruz and thus made him appealing to give your vote to.

How would a fence on the Mexican border help you in any way?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Inglonias posted:

No republican candidate has won the popular vote in the 21st century. I'm not worried about that. Unfortunately, that also doesn't mean anything 'round these parts.

In 2004 George W. Bush got 62,040,610 votes to John Kerry's 59,028,444, making it 50.7% to 48.3%. This is the only time since '88 a Republican has won the popular vote for president, but it did happen.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

He campaigned from the moderate end of the party

Hey 12 years a lurker when I said I don't believe non-partisans exist. It's stuff like this. It's because they don't know what they're talking about is what I was trying to say. They exist in a Sorkin / Fox News Cinematic Universe twilight of politics where complex problems always have simple solutions or just are plain inaccurate. That's why once people educate themselves on the issues they fall into right or left.

Trump was explicitly the most right-leaning candidate at the time. https://www.vox.com/2016/3/30/11333472/trump-abortions-punishment-women you don't have any other candidates in the race who go to any extremes like this. I could literally sit here all night and post quote after quote after quote after quote of crazy batshit insane far right poo poo.

Nor do you have other candidates in any race ever openly endorsing nazis. https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trump-defends-2017-fine-people-comments-calls-robert/story?id=62653478

Or you know. Lead a violent insurrection in an attempt to subvert democracy. :kiddo:

12 years a lurker
Aug 17, 2022

Main Paineframe posted:

You said you wanted a competent moderate, but from the sound of your specific complaints, what you really want is the one who most benefits you personally, regardless of where they actually sit on the political spectrum. You feel the Republicans are better for upper-middle-class straight white males, so that's who you're going with.

Tax offsets wouldn't have saved us from those years of inflation. Whatever the impact of the stimulus may have been, major supply disruptions were definitely a major contributing factor to quite a few of the price increases. Our just-in-time global production chains are hyperspecialized for maximum profit, but that means they're not very resilient against disruptions or unexpected shifts. And not only did the pandemic throw global supply chains way out of whack, but a number of high-level business types were convinced it was going to cause a massive recession and tank customer demand, so they made the wrong decisions and screwed up their production in ways that took quite a while to untangle.

I feel like "a couple of years of high inflation in the wake of a historic global pandemic" and "literally fascism" shouldn't be balanced quite so evenly on your scales.

It's the certainty of economic mismanagement vs the small but catastrophic risk of fascism. Obviously if it was the certainty of economic mismanagement vs the certainty of fascism, economic mismanagement is the clear correct choice.

In terms of personal economic interests, mine can broadly be described as "skilled labor," and I don't think either party broadly represents me. Republicans represent the interests of the rich / capital, Democrats represent the interests of the poor and unskilled labor, and neither really cares about the middle class / skilled labor although they both like to pretend they do when campaigning.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Fascism is a certainty. He has already announced his intention to purge the disloyal from the government and put together a team to do it

haveblue fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jan 22, 2024

12 years a lurker
Aug 17, 2022

socialsecurity posted:

Ok define moderate then, what positions did he campaign on that were more moderate than Cruz and thus made him appealing to give your vote to.

How would a fence on the Mexican border help you in any way?

He didn't seem to want to take a complete ax to the government, clearly wasn't religious right (although he appointed bad justices to throw them a bone), and when all the far-right people I knew were enthusiastic Cruz supporters I didn't need to research all the issues to come to a general conclusion (similar to how when all the far left people backed Bernie I came to, as it turns out incorrectly, a conclusion that Biden would be good paired with him being Obama's veep).

Having a better immigration policy (i.e. less illegal immigration, more merit based legal immigration a la Australia) would be good for America on the whole. Building the wall would have maybe done nothing, maybe cut down on illegal immigration a little. Doing nothing of note and incremental positive change in the context of the American political system are both wins.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

It's the certainty of economic mismanagement

What about Trump's first term makes you think he will manage the economy successfully in his second

2) I do think that the trillions of dollars of deficit stimulus spending without offsetting tax increases caused our recent inflation problems.

Keeping in mind that these were trump-administration policies passed during COVID

Like, by your own stated criteria, you should be weighting "certainty of economic mismanagement on both sides" vs. "risk of fascism"

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

B B posted:

Here is a similar poll from September:

https://www.cnn.com/2023/09/07/politics/cnn-poll-joe-biden-headwinds/index.html

Here is another from November:

https://news.yahoo.com/poll-a-majority-of-democrats-want-new-candidate-to-challenge-biden-in-2024-primary-100031348.html

Here is a poll from December showing his approval rating continuing a nose dive among Democrats:

https://www.pewresearch.org/politics/2023/12/14/assessments-of-joe-biden/

Hopefully these numbers are recent enough for you.

None of those polls are about the question that was asked, and "continuing to nose dive among Democrats" is uhh not correct as it's changed 4% in 12 months. And that same poll says his approval rating is 68% among Democratics, which implies that a lot more than just 34% want his reelection.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Undecided voters are the actual stupidest people on the entire planet

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

He didn't seem to want to take a complete ax to the government, clearly wasn't religious right (although he appointed bad justices to throw them a bone), and when all the far-right people I knew were enthusiastic Cruz supporters I didn't need to research all the issues to come to a general conclusion (similar to how when all the far left people backed Bernie I came to, as it turns out incorrectly, a conclusion that Biden would be good paired with him being Obama's veep).

Having a better immigration policy (i.e. less illegal immigration, more merit based legal immigration a la Australia) would be good for America on the whole. Building the wall would have maybe done nothing, maybe cut down on illegal immigration a little. Doing nothing of note and incremental positive change in the context of the American political system are both wins.

Why is illegal immigration a problem for you?

12 years a lurker
Aug 17, 2022

What about Trump's first term makes you think he will manage the economy successfully in his second

Keeping in mind that these were trump-administration policies passed during COVID

Like, by your own stated criteria, you should be weighting "certainty of economic mismanagement on both sides" vs. "risk of fascism"

You're right. Trump was the second worst president in my lifetime after Biden on managing the economy. I really want to vote for [generic Republican] or [generic Democrat], not either of them, and probably will protest vote by submitting a ballot with no mark or "none of the above" written in. Anyway, I don't personally matter because I don't live in a swing state currently. Down ballot I'll research whoever locally wants to allow more dense housing construction (if anyone) and single issue vote for them to help do what little can be done now to fix the rent / housing inflation.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

You keep asserting a generality as if it’s should be just swallowed whole true. Why don’t you get concrete:

What specific Biden administration economic policies don’t you like and think are such terrible mismanagement?

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Kchama posted:

None of those polls are about the question that was asked, and "continuing to nose dive among Democrats" is uhh not correct as it's changed 4% in 12 months. And that same poll says his approval rating is 68% among Democratics, which implies that a lot more than just 34% want his reelection.

Among Democrats, his approval rating among Democrats was 86% at the start of his presidency. When that poll was taken a little over a month ago, it was at 61% among democrats. Over the course of his presidency, he's lost 25% in his approval rating among Democrats. In other words, about 30% of the Democrats who supported him at the start of his presidency no longer do. I'm not sure how you define "nose dive," but I'll settle for being very impressed by Joe Biden's ability to make significant portions of his Party think he's doing a bad job.

In any case, it's pretty clear that Joe Biden is historically unpopular:

B B fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 22, 2024

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

You're right. Trump was the second worst president in my lifetime after Biden on managing the economy. I really want to vote for [generic Republican] or [generic Democrat], not either of them, and probably will protest vote by submitting a ballot with no mark or "none of the above" written in. Anyway, I don't personally matter because I don't live in a swing state currently. Down ballot I'll research whoever locally wants to allow more dense housing construction (if anyone) and single issue vote for them to help do what little can be done now to fix the rent / housing inflation.

You weren't alive during Bush?

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Down ballot I'll research whoever locally wants to allow more dense housing construction (if anyone) and single issue vote for them to help do what little can be done now to fix the rent / housing inflation.

If you care about dense/affordable housing, you should probably know that Biden is easily better than Trump on that front. For example: https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...d-boost-supply/

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

B B posted:

Among Democrats, his approval rating among Democrats was 86% at the start of his presidency. When that poll was taken a little over a month ago, it was at 61% among democrats. Over the course of his presidency, he's lost 25% in his approval rating among Democrats. In other words, about 30% of the Democrats who supported him at the start of his presidency no longer do.

"I disapprove of Joe Biden" and "I no longer support Joe Biden" are not necessarily identical statements. It is perfectly possible that many people disapprove of Joe Biden but nevertheless support him [given the alternatives].

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I have a feeling that we're never going to see a widely popular president ever again short of a complete new realignment.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

This presupposes the existence of a huge population voting against their class interests. Most people's class interests more or less align with labor / worker / retired worker. By and large the Republicans act in the interests of capital and the Democrats act in the interests of the poor (who do already vote for them by a 2:1 margin). If you want workers to stop voting cultural issues over economic issues there has to exist a party supporting their class interests (more progressive taxation, less means tested benefits, more universal benefits) in the first place. If the economic argument is usually a tug of war between taxes you won't have to pay and means tested benefits you won't qualify for, it's very personally cheap to vote on cultural issues.

This guy thought Democrats do better to help the poor and Republicans do more to help the rich less than a year ago and now he's not sure lol

Edit: to be clear, I don't think he's trolling or disingenuous. I think he's exactly as intelligent as the average undecided voter

Lemming fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jan 22, 2024

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Raenir Salazar posted:

I have a feeling that we're never going to see a widely popular president ever again short of a complete new realignment.

Given how many people in this country have been shameless Trump supporters . . .I hope not. I don't want to live in a country those people are happy about.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

"I disapprove of Joe Biden" and "I no longer support Joe Biden" are not necessarily identical statements. It is perfectly possible that many people disapprove of Joe Biden but nevertheless support him [given the alternatives].

That's a perfectly fair point. I was a bit imprecise in my language there.

12 years a lurker
Aug 17, 2022

socialsecurity posted:

Why is illegal immigration a problem for you?

It's unfair to people going through the legal process, and worse for the country than letting people in based on their ability to assimilate and contribute. I'd like a more merit based system, but if we're not going to have that still prefer lottery based or family preference than whomever manages to get across the border and not get caught for a few years wins. We were built on immigration and it's a good thing in moderation, but there is only so much capacity economically, culturally, and politically and proverbial 'slots' shouldn't go to those willing to flout the rules.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

B B posted:

Isn't this a phenomenon that affects both candidates?

There aren't a ton of people out there who are dying to vote for Biden in November, either. It's going to be a pretty low enthusiasm election across the board.

Yeah exactly. I don't want him either.

I'm still gonna vote for him.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

B B posted:

Among Democrats, his approval rating among Democrats was 86% at the start of his presidency. When that poll was taken a little over a month ago, it was at 61% among democrats. Over the course of his presidency, he's lost 25% in his approval rating among Democrats. In other words, about 30% of the Democrats who supported him at the start of his presidency no longer do. I'm not sure how you define "nose dive," but I'll settle for being very impressed by Joe Biden's ability to make significant portions of his Party think he's doing a bad job.

In any case, it's pretty clear that Joe Biden is historically unpopular:

Your poll (just one poll) doesn’t show what you says it shows. It does not show that Joe Biden is ‘Historically Unpopular’, just that he has had the lowest approval rating in the Gallup poll in the December of his first term since Jimmy Carter…. within Margin of Error of Barack Obama.

Also, if you read my post instead of having pretended to, you said that it was continuing to nose-dive, but it has only moved 4% in the past year by that one poll. So it dropped sharply for a while but has stopped dropping.

As a note: Obama’s low in Gallup was 40% in mid-2011. So ‘historically unpopular’ is kind of completely wrong.

You seem to keep shifting to similar-sounding but different qualifications to prove Biden is the most unpopular in history, but presidents get generally unpopular near the end of their first term. There’s a lot of time to recover.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jan 22, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
It feels like 12 years is just repeating "but Biden was bad for the economy!!" without any attempts to answer why the policies were bad or an understanding that, maybe, being handed certain conditions like a loving global economic downturn might not actually be Biden's fault.

Iirc, didn't the US recover (at least by some metrics) faster than many other economies?