Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

mycomancy posted:

Great, Willa Quixote has arrived to tilt at Zoomers!

She's right though, all that generational poo poo is a distraction, except for Boomers. It's the Baby Boomers and it's the rest of humanity, those are the divisions.

more like mikerowemanscreed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Mr Hootington posted:

There are tons of kids that just don't go to school anymore.

I met one yesterday at a party. the parents are “homeschooling “ but the kid doesn’t do anything. real bad!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

sonatinas posted:

I met one yesterday at a party. the parents are “homeschooling “ but the kid doesn’t do anything. real bad!

Why prepare for a future that ain’t coming

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Anyway, boomers are still probably the last generation to really get semi-livable amounts out of Social Security as well, once the trust fund goes in 2033 (or sooner) and it drops 23% of its funding not even counting the inflation versus COLA increases.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
just start hustling for pennies at
burger king at 14 years old

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
burger king is a cool $15.50 an hour

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,

Ardennes posted:

Anyway, boomers are still probably the last generation to really get semi-livable amounts out of Social Security as well, once the trust fund goes in 2033 (or sooner) and it drops 23% of its funding not even counting the inflation versus COLA increases.
isn’t this one of those 100% preventable scare tactics like the budget or the post office where republicans prevent it from being funded to make it look like there was excessive spending when in reality it can be trivially changed to be problem-free by just allowing it to be funded

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

RadiRoot posted:

burger king is a cool $15.50 an hour

CFA is 20 here in Asheville. That's three dollars more than my company is offering for new medical assistants lol

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Wtf I just noticed that the subscribe button in the YouTube app has an effect, just a rainbow highlight of the button for a second when the video has the standard "make sure to like, comment, and subscribe" bit. Is that new? I even went back in the video and it did it again after the lcs ask.

Love the attention economy

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Wtf I just noticed that the subscribe button in the YouTube app has an effect, just a rainbow highlight of the button for a second when the video has the standard "make sure to like, comment, and subscribe" bit. Is that new? I even went back in the video and it did it again after the lcs ask.

Love the attention economy

It's been a thing for a month or two but yeah lol lmao everything loving sucks

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

isn’t this one of those 100% preventable scare tactics like the budget or the post office where republicans prevent it from being funded to make it look like there was excessive spending when in reality it can be trivially changed to be problem-free by just allowing it to be funded

it’s impossible to pass new laws that are good, though

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

people who own multiple properties should probably hire accountants for their income taxes

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

euphronius posted:

people who own multiple properties should probably hire accountants for their income taxes

Actually the government should forgive taxes on multiple properties to encourage true entrepreneurs and not lazy renters.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

euphronius posted:

Boomers paid witch doctors to learn this secret algorithm, now available to you!

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

lol at having to do taxes i don't have any taxable income :smugdog:

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

euphronius posted:

the extra properties should be given to homeless people

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest

Shifty Nipples posted:

One weird trick to free healthcare and no taxes.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Shifty Nipples posted:

drug dealer?

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Investor

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015

You must pay the price for this post.
the master does nothing and leaves nothing undone

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

An indian tech ceo fell off the stage at his own packed company presentation and died

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

An indian tech ceo fell off the stage at his own packed company presentation and died

rip to AiT

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Smythe posted:

rip to AiT

speng31b
May 8, 2010

lol

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Smythe posted:

rip to AiT

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Smythe posted:

rip to AiT

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Mad Wack posted:

ya we are much more efficient at oppression now, it's like a new case study how far you can push it to keep people down

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Smythe posted:

rip to AiT

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

Raising the maximum taxable income cap with respect to Social Security would do a massive amount to allay the concerns. Eliminating the cap would go even farther.

https://www.cbpp.org/research/increasing-payroll-taxes-would-strengthen-social-security

quote:

Social Security will need a larger share of our nation’s resources in the coming decades as the population ages, and polls show a widespread willingness to support it through higher tax contributions. Policymakers should seriously consider increasing payroll taxes to strengthen this vital program. Since policymakers last addressed Social Security solvency in 1983, its payroll tax base has eroded. Benefit cuts won’t be enough to close Social Security’s financing gap, especially in the short run. Increasing revenues will be necessary to restore solvency.

Options to increase Social Security’s revenues, including raising the tax cap, expanding compensation subject to taxes, and raising the payroll tax rate could be combined to improve Social Security’s solvency — and perhaps to strengthen benefits for particularly vulnerable groups. For example, raising both the payroll tax cap and rate would provide an extra solvency boost. Raising the tax cap and counting health insurance premiums as wages would spread the additional contributions more evenly throughout the earnings spectrum. Any of these options would help ensure that Social Security can pay benefits for generations to come.

Eric Cantonese has issued a correction as of 04:48 on Jan 22, 2024

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I had a professor say we will simply allow more immigration or amnesty to add more people to the scheme so it’ll be fine. lol.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Workers too uppity? Simply introduce more workers.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Frosted Flake posted:

I got loving obliterated by taxes and had to pay $15k.

Aren't you canadian? I thought the whole taxes being a giant mystery you could easily screw up despite the gov knowing exactly what you owed the whole time was a uniquely USA thing.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/bneintellinews/status/1749310946114236801

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Smythe posted:

rip to AiT

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

PoundSand posted:

Aren't you canadian? I thought the whole taxes being a giant mystery you could easily screw up despite the gov knowing exactly what you owed the whole time was a uniquely USA thing.

I am.

The best guess the accountant I saw about it had was that taxes come out of my paycheque as if I’m receiving the Disability Tax Credit, but I’m not, and somebody at CRA caught that this year and took out the difference over however many years.

:canada:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I would guess 15%-25% of American workers are under the table so getting those people “”legal” would help social security

Tho it’s not a real issue since Congress has infinite money

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

yeah. look up the solvency history of the natl highway trust fund. yet somehow we still have highways

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

cool av posted:

yeah. look up the solvency history of the natl highway trust fund. yet somehow we still have highways

If commerce didn't need them to ship poo poo around we wouldn't.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Gaddafi was right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1749434982941012290?t=TONNduYk7zWtDAehW_UaVg&s=19
https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1749434272774009133?t=nDl04-n6g7xcZF5-X7rAag&s=19