Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Shouldn’t a F10 5-series at least be wired for a rear-view camera?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Oh found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM32oSpqdV0

So on Aliexpress: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832831168440.html

There's options for 'NBT' 'CIC' and 'EVO'. I have no idea what that means.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 2, 2024

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Refers to the generation of infotainment hardware you're equipped with.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Bimmertech has the retro backup cameras and stuff. Not "cheap" but at least there is some support. You enter your vin and they will give you options.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Same car question 2016 528i.

Front console 12v socket, is it always on? I plugged a thing into it when the car was off and it was providing power. Just want to know the behavior so I don’t drain the battery.

Also related, how do I jump start a bmw when the battery is in the trunk. Do I have to access the battery to jump?

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I don't recall on the front sockets, it might be on while the car is awake then shut off? You might need some testing.

There are positive and negative posts under the hood, the positive should be under a little red cover.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
the newest I've had is a 2001, but every bmw I've had has the 12v socket always live

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Makes sense so you don’t have to fiddle with the car to light one up.

Except this BMW didn’t even come with a cig lighter it was just a plastic plug.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 14, 2024

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
i think manufacturers have been doing that for awhile; the cigarette lighter part probably costs extra

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
The smoker's package was the actual ash tray insert and plug in lighter. It was either 15 or 50, and I think they've stopped offering it? I'm not sure where the ash tray even goes on the F30s

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Ok follow up on 12v cig port power. My 2016 528i does indeed switch off the front console 12v port. It just does it a few minutes after the car is off.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
My 2009 e91 only powers the rear 12v when the car is on. I believe that's the same for the two up front as well.

My 2004 Porsche Boxster leaves that cigarette lighter live 24/7/365. Bro is fuckin ready for action.

Elite Taco fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jan 15, 2024

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
Recently noticed a sloshing noise while driving my F33 convertible. After some googling discovered that BMW managed the block a drain with both the skid plate and part of the paneling on the bottom of the car. Got to spend half an hour climbing under the car to dismantle the thing to cut a drain hole.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ERd_pRjs6Uw

Clearly the ultimate driving machine.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

My 2 series clock is apparently stuck in a gravitational field and losing time at pretty aggressive rate. That, or, the battery is dying and the deep freeze is pushing it along. Either way, I'm probably going to go get a new battery put it in. I don't have an OBDII reader for registering the battery and I have like just today to deal with it before I park it an airport for a week.

1) Is it accurate that just driving around for today won't damage the new battery too much by overcharging until I can register it?

2) Based on nothing but the most recent YouTube video I watched about F22 battery replacement I was going to order a generic OBDII reader and get the Bimmerlink app. Is that still a good combo?

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

FlerpNerpin posted:

Trying to buy a used X5 and it’s unbelievable to me how many 90k+ specced cars they sold without Heated/ac seats, heated steering wheels or adaptive cruise.

My 10 year old ford has these what the gently caress BMW/BMW buyers.

There are like 3 hybrids or m50i within 200 miles of me with ACC out of 200+ total CPO X5s.

Madness.

I’m not a patient man just let me do a capitalism god damnit why is this so hard.

I thought I wouldn't miss having a heated steering wheel......but I miss having a heated steering wheel. Deffo would have came in handy these past few weeks.

Having a slight twinge of buyer's remorse for pickup up a G30 530i w/60k miles instead of getting a 540i with far more options but 115k on the odo.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
I have a heated steering wheel in my e91 and I live in Dallas and love it.

Anywhere colder seems like it would be mandatory.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I kinda wish I was more patient in my E91 buying process and got something better optioned.

A heated wheel isn't nearly as mandatory as heated seats, but I'd be lying if I said I don't miss it. Feels so good on my fingers after a session at the climbing gym, in addition to obvious the "warm is nice in the cold"

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I’m totally broken after the heated steering wheel and seat combo in my E91. My wife’s 10 years newer Honda doesn’t have the steering wheel and it feels tragic driving it on cold days. Mandatory for every future vehicle as a long as I continue to live in the cold.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Heated seats were mandatory when I was shopping for my commuter. I could have lived without a heated steering wheel even though I love it on a cold day. Luckily the 330i I grabbed had both. It's so, so nice to have.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I like the heated steering wheel but if it’s cold enough to really want it I have gloves with me anyway.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

The E91 is basically fully loaded and the heated wheel is nice but I still don’t mind driving primarily the E82 which is base spec+sport package (manual sport seats) so far this winter while I try and arrange the body shop for the E91.

Tangential but I realized I need to do the PCV recall on both cars at some point.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Same but I'll probably never do it.

We replaced the PCV parts when we did my 3SIM, so I'm just rolling the dice instead of dealing with the dealership, I guess.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I like the heated steering wheel but if it’s cold enough to really want it I have gloves with me anyway.
don't you handle everything with gloves since you never use lotion for fear of degrading your steering wheel

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
wat

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

BMWs terrible used inventory eventually won out and now I’m waiting for my new 50e build in May-ish. LCI years are weird because features just disappear. (Drop rear sears from trunk with a button, heated/cooled cup holders, B&O, rear steer, wireless overheat your phone, laser lights) but in the end the extra power, range and self driving of the new ones made me hold my nose and accept the new idrive bullshit.

Now I’m the sucker paying sticker after price hikes, LCI bullshit and no more tax breaks. 👍

Ultimate Leasing Machine

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/3goXnYlG/1992-bmw-m5-touring

E34 M5 Wagon on Cars and Bids :captainpop:

If I were just a little bit less responsible... holy poo poo I want it. I even like the blue leather.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Guinness posted:

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/3goXnYlG/1992-bmw-m5-touring

E34 M5 Wagon on Cars and Bids :captainpop:

If I were just a little bit less responsible... holy poo poo I want it. I even like the blue leather.

:psypop:

My family had an E34 wagon that I learned to drive on, and I had an E30 forever. I love those so much, and seeing the sports seats takes me back so much. That thing needs to go to somebody who loves it. So good.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

FlerpNerpin posted:

heated/cooled cup holders

wtf; lmao

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
e30s didn't even have cup holders and now they are making heated/cooled ones?? SMDH

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
I kinda want a project e30.

Gonna send my kids to college instead.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Elite Taco posted:

I went to college 30 years ago, each semester cost about 1 E30 BMW. Good luck!

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Elite Taco posted:

Pretty sure there are old posts in this thread about how an E30 M3 is always a $14k car (buy it for 10k and spend 4k fixing it, buy it for 7k and spend 7k fixing it etc)

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

How old are the posts where you can buy an E30 M3 for $10K lol

https://carsandbids.com/search?q=e30%20m3

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
You guys expect me to READ posts?!?!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

evobatman posted:

Pretty sure there are old posts in this thread about how an E30 M3 is always a $14k car (buy it for 10k and spend 4k fixing it, buy it for 7k and spend 7k fixing it etc)

It was $15k for a long time, when I had a HPDE student with one and started lusting after them. Had crept up to $25k by 2012 or so when I started shopping for one. I don't even know what is anymore, values spiked but have cooled.

Henna car with 41k miles just sold for $120k - https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1988-bmw-m3-214/

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

It has been seven years down to the week since I bought my M3. I am currently having a moment of weakness and have replied to a "WTB" post on the M3 Forums wherein they listed out exactly the car they were looking for, and the amount they are willing to pay which is exactly my car and the amount I think it is worth. I have been giving serious thought this winter to selling the car. It is not to pursue a new car because I am frankly having a lot of fun off roading my big bodied Lexus around. I am looking at starting a business and the extra working capital would be nice to have around. Frankly I don't get to drive the car much. In 7 years it has seen about 18K miles of action. I have told the guy to give me a couple of days to give this some thought.

Fourteen pages of posts ITT and an entire identity.

Is this the end of an era?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

if you come to the BMW thread asking if you should sell your BMW, the answer will be no

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Tell us more about that e90 m3 and why we should buy it from you.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
i'll trade you two e30s thats like an e60

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Popete posted:

e30s didn't even have cup holders and now they are making heated/cooled ones?? SMDH

Obligatory BMW has lost its way.