Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

oh, mine seems to stay on all the time at green. I wonder if there’s a setting somewhere

Yeah my oled turns green and stays on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Does the LCD's light turn green?? I feel like I've only seen white.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I've only ever seen white on my LCD Deck.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
An RGB light was added to the OLED model.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I saw the charge light turn yellow after I accidentally plugged in the wrong usb charger cable which had insufficient wattage :science:

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Did you know the vent smell changes depending on the current LED color

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Annath posted:

Does the LCD's light turn green?? I feel like I've only seen white.

No it stays the same color pretty sure.

The OLED turns green when fully charged though.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Mescal posted:

is any particular breastfeeding pillow on amazon good or does it not matter?

3rd party docks may be made of materials that may damage your device. Despite the cost and form factor, I'd go first party for best results.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Mescal posted:

I suggest something crescent-shaped over something more toilet seat like.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Just finished Cocoon on Deck with my 9 YO daughter. We kind of took turns controlling and discussed puzzles together. It was great but over too quickly.

Any other good atmospheric puzzlers that don't have much in the way of twitch timing? We played The Witness some and want to get back to that. But I'm looking for others. Talos Principle didn't really grab he and I think Portal is maybe too much for her with the FPS controls and needing to aim decently.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Chin Strap posted:

Just finished Cocoon on Deck with my 9 YO daughter. We kind of took turns controlling and discussed puzzles together. It was great but over too quickly.

Any other good atmospheric puzzlers that don't have much in the way of twitch timing? We played The Witness some and want to get back to that. But I'm looking for others. Talos Principle didn't really grab he and I think Portal is maybe too much for her with the FPS controls and needing to aim decently.

outer wilds, one of the greatest games ever made but some of it could be very scary for a 9yo

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Chin Strap posted:

I’ve only played it on iPad but apparently Monument Valley is playable on the deck. Super good atmospheric puzzle game.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Animal posted:

Did you know the vent smell changes depending on the current LED color

I know it smells like mint when green. What does it smell like when yellow?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

beep by grandpa posted:

outer wilds, one of the greatest games ever made but some of it could be very scary for a 9yo

it’s very scary for me a 32 yo lol

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

I know it smells like mint when green. What does it smell like when yellow?

Sulfur, if you are playing Hades. Banana if you are playing My Friend Pedro.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Huh. I didn't find anything about Outer Wilds even a little bit unsettling.

It was at times a bit... upsetting? In a bittersweet kind of way? Definitely one of the most impactful games I've ever played. One of the few cases where I would legitimately love to erase my memory of it and play it totally blind again.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
I'm guessing Obra Dinn isn't great for a 9 YO?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Chin Strap posted:

there's lots of reading, depends on how into that they are. might find it a bit boring.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Annath posted:

Huh. I didn't find anything about Outer Wilds even a little bit unsettling.
C'mon you didn't have a bit of a jump scare the first time you flew into Dark Bramble?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Case of the Golden Idol can get a bit macabre, but probably not anything a 9 year old couldn't handle. And of course you have stuff like Monkey Island and the other Lucasarts point-and-click adventures.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I feel like Outer Wilds is actually perfect for a 9 year old bc most of the puzzles are "go do this cool thing and put puzzle pieces together". Dark Bramble is scary for a 9 yo I think but as long as you know it's coming you can get around that I'm sure. Just do that part alone or warn them beforehand or something.

I would compare Dark Bramble to Jaws in terms of scariness. Not gory or anything though.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Chin Strap posted:

If you both liked the worlds-within-worlds and are not afraid of a much more purely puzzle game (like, just literally sequences of progressively harder puzzles), pick up Patrick's Parabox. It's the pure form of what Cocoon just dipped its toes into.

I'm on the endgame challenge puzzles and my 7yo is slowly working through it alongside me, I feel like it's good for her brain (and regularly breaks mine).

Also similar vibe to Cocoon but much less puzzling; make sure you've both played Journey.

Chadzok fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jan 22, 2024

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Chadzok posted:

If you both liked the worlds-within-worlds and are not afraid of a much more purely puzzle game (like, just literally sequences of progressively harder puzzles), pick up Patrick's Parabox. It's the pure form of what Cocoon just dipped its toes into.

I'm on the endgame challenge puzzles and my 7yo is slowly working through it alongside me, I feel like it's good for her brain (and regularly breaks mine).

Also similar vibe to Cocoon but much less puzzling; make sure you've both played Journey.

Yeah I immediately opened Patricks Parabox and she kind of zipped through the first few parts. She got more stuck on the sliding box parts than anything because she hasn't done those sorts of puzzles much

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Chin Strap posted:

There’s a fair bit of implied and non-photorealistically-shown violence and death, so it depends on the kid. No worse than Goonies probably.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The Sexy Brutale is one of my favorite puzzlers, though it deals with a lot of cartoony murder.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

ExcessBLarg! posted:

C'mon you didn't have a bit of a jump scare the first time you flew into Dark Bramble?

Ehh... Maybe? But only like a little bit, and only the first time.

I wouldn't really look at that and say the game is scary. There's frankly more disturbing stuff in Gravity Falls.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Annath posted:

I wouldn't really look at that and say the game is scary.
Yeah, I mean it's not intended to be a horror game or anything. But kids can different levels of sensitivity around this stuff too.

To be honest I went to Dark Bramble early on so I was expecting more of that kind of thing than there actually was.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I couldn't figure out how to get some of my standalone non-steam games working. I gave up on them.

But, I saw a guide on how to get the Mass Effect Mod Merger working. I took what I learned from that, and actually used a proton prefix in Lutris to set up the games properly. They work. In desktop mode, the controller didn't work. In gaming mode, the controller works fine. Isn't Linux swell?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Gaming mode is making sure steaminput handles the controller for you, desktop mode just does whatever it wants

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

History Comes Inside! posted:

Gaming mode is making sure steaminput handles the controller for you, desktop mode just does whatever it wants

I'm still learning my way around it. If I can figure out how to make it so that one game that's verified, but I don't have it on Steam (I got it on the EA app), only use the mouse when I'm holding down the Steam button as well, it'll stop me from accidentally moving the camera or choosing wrong dialog options when I'm playing Mass Effect.

Armitage_Shanks
May 16, 2004

Fear the aVICtar.
I recall Outer Wilds had some fiddly space craft flying to get to a planet with a cavern before the entrance disappeared. Maybe there was an easier way I missed but otherwise you'd want a bit of gamer chops for that bit.

PatentPending
Nov 27, 2007

[1950s eel-based dad joke]
Uuuggghhhhhh I’ve been using Nvidia streaming with moonlight because I have an Nvidia graphics card and it’s less effort, but figured I should move onto Sunshine just to future-proof myself.

I’ve been able to just point GeForce at desktop shortcuts and it figures it out, so that’s let me grab EGS and GamePass games for streaming. I try to do the same with Sunshine and it doesn’t work; the EGS games I can’t get working even pointing at the actual files, and of course I can’t even access the actual app for GamePass games.

So I’ve rolled back the whole thing and it all works again… except now it’s having trouble changing the resolutions for some reason. So I managed to spend my entire lunch break making my streaming slightly worse.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

PatentPending posted:

Uuuggghhhhhh I’ve been using Nvidia streaming with moonlight because I have an Nvidia graphics card and it’s less effort, but figured I should move onto Sunshine just to future-proof myself.

I’ve been able to just point GeForce at desktop shortcuts and it figures it out, so that’s let me grab EGS and GamePass games for streaming. I try to do the same with Sunshine and it doesn’t work; the EGS games I can’t get working even pointing at the actual files, and of course I can’t even access the actual app for GamePass games.

So I’ve rolled back the whole thing and it all works again… except now it’s having trouble changing the resolutions for some reason. So I managed to spend my entire lunch break making my streaming slightly worse.

Give Playnite a shot if you want a launcher to handle all that poo poo.

Objective Action
Jun 10, 2007

Playnite is great and I use it extensively on my desktop. Highly recommend it if you want a uber-launcher to catalog everything. Took some setting up but I was tired or having to open GOG/Steam/EA/Ubi/Itch/etc to see if I owned something already before I bought it. Has nice emulator support too!

Now you have me wondering if anyone has any kind of Deck integration for it so I can sync the database for remote play purposes. Will report back if I find anything.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Moonlight plays real well with it since you can set it to open Playnite in full screen mode then launch anything from there. I don't personally use it anymore since I have very few non-steam games I play over stream but I did set it up and try it for a few weeks and it's solid.

Asperity
Jun 7, 2011

Mescal posted:

In the event anyone has Flexible Savings Account money to spend, I can confirm that nursing pillows are FSA-eligible. (I bought this one as my Steam Deck accessory.)

Also, um, don't ever put more money in an FSA than you want to spend in one day.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Asperity posted:

In the event anyone has Flexible Savings Account money to spend, I can confirm that nursing pillows are FSA-eligible. (I bought this one as my Steam Deck accessory.)

Also, um, don't ever put more money in an FSA than you want to spend in one day.

That's a Cadillac of a pillow there. I don't even wanna show a picture of mine now.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Heran Bago posted:

I suggest something crescent-shaped over something more toilet seat like.

:agreed;

Asperity
Jun 7, 2011
There's a story behind that ridiculous pillow, and the story is that I lost all the funds in that FSA as of the day I was laid off my job. It's not even the dumbest thing I impulse-bought with the money I'd planned to use for the rest of the year's medical expenses.

Great pillow, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PatentPending
Nov 27, 2007

[1950s eel-based dad joke]

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Give Playnite a shot if you want a launcher to handle all that poo poo.

…You just solved all my problems. It really does just handle everything doesn’t it?

Thanks!