Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

I enjoyed this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

How good is the Granblue plot/setting? I know literally nothing about it, but this upcoming Relink game seems fun and, judging from the preview videos, has good music, which is one of the most important things for a JRPG.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the main story starts out really generic 'protecting a girl from an evil empire stuff' but it gets a lot more wild as it goes. the stuff with the angels in the what makes the sky blue arc is a real highlight. that said most of what makes the setting interesting is like, the deities and creation stuff that i imagine relink will not get that much into in favor of just being a fantasy adventure to get people into the series.

relink is also gonna be a mostly original plot.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Ethiser posted:

When I got the Phantasy Star Collection for GBA as a kid I beat 1 and 3, but I could never muster up the effort to play 2. Something about the dungeons just made them unplayable.
I think partially it's the slightly zoomed in view to keep the sprites roughly the same size, but the other part is just that Phantasy Star 2 constantly does that whole foreground layer which exacerbates the maze layouts.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

it's seriously bad. and i guess sega knew how rough the dungeons were in size and confusion because the game originally came with a hintbook with maps lol

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
PS2 is real rough to play, between the teleporter hell mazes, encounter rate and stupid obscuring overlay, you should definitely just cheat the gently caress out of it to experience the vibes and tone more than anything else

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The Granblue fighting game plot is original and its good so I'm expecting Relink to be good. Also I expect it may share some themes with both the fighting game plot and current gacha game main story

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

For anyone who's playing through Kingsvein, I just killed The Anmyra in the ravine, and there's a door that requires a key right past it. Where it this key?

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

GrandpaPants posted:

For anyone who's playing through Kingsvein, I just killed The Anmyra in the ravine, and there's a door that requires a key right past it. Where it this key?

There's another key in the same room. Check it over again.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Thanks for the feedback on the exp stuff: some food for thought there. It's true that the smartest avenue for me to take is to probably explore games that deviate strongly from RPGs into becoming more like adventure games instead: can't have exp problems if exp or exp-rewarding activities like combat don't exist in the first place, after all! There are also plenty of RPGs that are just paced so well and so straightforward that grinding and other exp quibbles never come up, like Chrono Trigger. I guess I was mostly curious about what games exist that still have a strong sense of that classic RPG feel but have more novel experience system designs, but I didn't make that clear and even now is quite vague on where the boundary is for when it becomes too transformative.

As an aside: while I do agree that Disco Elysium is very cool by de-emphasizing combat, I'd argue that it still has a 'murderhobo' inclination, just in a different context. For example, the game strongly rewards you with exp for doing stupid, dangerous stuff and going down crazy tangents: in this way, if you were someone who wanted to play it smart, boring and safe by keeping your cards close to your chest, sticking to the case proper, listening to the warnings to not do things, you'd end up with a lot less exp. Of course, I don't consider this as much of an issue as the interpretation of experience suits the game and the message/playstyle it is going for, and hey, it makes sense that if you don't do sidequests you don't get exp. But still, it did bother me a bit when I played as someone trying to keep it cool since that meant leaving too much exp on the table!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i mean there you just run into the thing of like. if you want a game about being a normal detective you'd be playing a normal detective game. disco elysium's systems being set up to encourage you to do unhinged poo poo is a fundamental part of its thematic delivery. you can take harry in many different directions but none of them are the direction of "cool", that's a fundamental trait to his character

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Ytlaya posted:

How good is the Granblue plot/setting? I know literally nothing about it, but this upcoming Relink game seems fun and, judging from the preview videos, has good music, which is one of the most important things for a JRPG.
I wouldn't get your hopes too far up. The framing story for the game is just about a new group called Church of Avia and your crew is investigating a new threat to the skies. It sounds like another one of their generic save the world plot lines with some hidden enemies that'll likely be originals to Relink.

GBF plot is at its best if it hits the beats Endorph highlighted. That is, expanding on the setting via the mythos. Admittedly some people are really tired of that because they have been beating the same drum up until these last few months when they introduced the multiverse stuff to allow Relink/Rising to exist. They basically turned a nonsense enemy into a full weird faction that actually has kind of a neatly executed concept. If they do more of that then it might be good too!

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jan 22, 2024

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I think what FutureCop is getting at is how some games warp player behavior in ways that don't make in-universe sense because of the incentive of exp/loot or more nebulously for More Content. For a nonlethal example the Persona games notoriously make most players into serial adulterers because no one is going to forgo the social link content and miss out on a huge part of the game. Disco Elysium sounds like it actually uses this in its favor, because the things players are inclined to do are more appropriate.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
disco elysium is designed to encourage you to make harry act like a weirdo because harry's a weirdo freak who drank himself into having amnesia and his own organs speak to him to give him detective-ing advice. he's not a smart guy he's a human wrecking ball that happens to have a magnetic attraction towards the truth

very different from something like persona where they borrowed from and inherited all the weirder aspects of tokimeki memorial 1, the one designed to be an elaborate adventure game puzzle about micromanaging a dozen volatile relationships while trying to graduate high school, and not any of the dating sims after that including tokimeki memorial's own sequels, which have a more specific interest in simulating relationships and interactions. which even compared to tokimemo 1 persona is funny cause it's not as "immediately" punishing, but in the long term its mechanics encourage you to be weird and manipulative way harder just cause a small point loss means a potentially unrecoverable amount of grinding relationship points in a 70 hour long game, and not awkwardly tripping over yourself trying to appease the six different women who are all furious at you without slacking on studying for the upcoming tests in a game that only takes like four hours to beat at a normal pace. i said it before but loving up in a good dating sim creates a story, of your comical failure. loving up in persona just means you might have to play the game one more time if you want to see every social link

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Granblue is at its best when it is doing Moon stuff but also it has done "standard fantasy story" pretty well before and I imagine Relink will be in that mode.

I'm guessing it'll probably be fairly solid but might land better for people already familiar with the cast and world.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
a couple days ago i did the secret gimmick run of tokimeki memorial 1 where the snobby rich kid turns out to be a beautiful woman who was always in love with you and the incredible thing about that ending is that it requires you to let your relationships with every other girl in the game absolutely bomb so that they give you pity chocolate on your last valentine's day in high school, and because she only has like two big scenes the entire second half of the cutscene gallery where you reflect on all the romantic moments you had with each other is just all the times she made fun of you for not getting any valentine's chocolate while doing this pose

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You can beat disco elysium without ever learning protagonists backstory, earning 0 achievements, and without being labeled boring. That said the game is 100% structured around pushing you to do something wilder and occasionally getting snippy if you don't.

Cyberpunk 2077 has characters mostly get mad at you for using the optional dialog, but also no mechanism for that to have meaning so uh enjoy.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Persona also heavily discourages you from taking the weird/funny dialog choices, which is bad.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Ethiser posted:

When I got the Phantasy Star Collection for GBA as a kid I beat 1 and 3, but I could never muster up the effort to play 2. Something about the dungeons just made them unplayable.

According to a developer interview, the dungeons were mostly made by one guy who was an overenthusiastic new hire and just sort of designed them all without checking in with anyone else. They were in a hurry to get the game out as a release-window title for the Mega Drive and had already burned up some time on story rewrites early in the project, so they figured they'd keep his work rather than try to redo it.

If nothing else, it's an interesting proof-of-concept showing that you can make a hard dungeon crawler with a top-down perspective (and maybe also showing why people usually don't).

Clarste posted:

Persona also heavily discourages you from taking the weird/funny dialog choices, which is bad.

The best thing about the Devil Survivor games is that there are a ton of weirdo dialogue options and the penalty for picking them is mostly negligible since you get 90% of your relationship points just from hanging out with people

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i like what digital devil saga does where it's obvious what the right options to pick are but you'll only see the payoff for them in another 60 hours and every single option makes it obvious by being something like "strike a bro pose with your bro" or "ignore him"

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Einander posted:

There's another key in the same room. Check it over again.

I found a key that I used to unlock the front door, but I haven't been able to find one for the back door. Is it hidden?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Colonel posted:

i like what digital devil saga does where it's obvious what the right options to pick are but you'll only see the payoff for them in another 60 hours and every single option makes it obvious by being something like "strike a bro pose with your bro" or "ignore him"

Iirc, there's all of four dialogue choices, two in DDS1 and two in DDS2 and you have to nail ALL of them correctly to unlock Heat in your party for the final dungeon.

mycot posted:

I think what FutureCop is getting at is how some games warp player behavior in ways that don't make in-universe sense because of the incentive of exp/loot or more nebulously for More Content. For a nonlethal example the Persona games notoriously make most players into serial adulterers because no one is going to forgo the social link content and miss out on a huge part of the game. Disco Elysium sounds like it actually uses this in its favor, because the things players are inclined to do are more appropriate.

While your point is otherwise apt, Persona 3's the only one you need to be a cheating bastard to complete all the S.Links in a single run. Persona 4 and 5 let you complete the potentially-romantic S.Links with a platonic outcome.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Iirc, there's all of four dialogue choices, two in DDS1 and two in DDS2 and you have to nail ALL of them correctly to unlock Heat in your party for the final dungeon.

And it ain't worth it because he's a loser while Roland is a bro.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Everything you learn about Dr. Sheffield proves Heat was right.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

GrandpaPants posted:

I found a key that I used to unlock the front door, but I haven't been able to find one for the back door. Is it hidden?

The Anmyra is the big boss with like 160+ HP and the sword, right? Uses a free movement ability and Triple Slash? Because I killed it, found a key in the same room, went into the back room, looted a few items, left. I think you just missed a pot or something.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

The 7th Guest posted:

it's impressive that 3 is considered worse, but i will take people's word for it until i try it

I wouldn't necessarily die on the hill that PS3 is better than PS2, but I will say it's true.

Neither is particularly good though

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ace Transmuter posted:

I wouldn't necessarily die on the hill that PS3 is better than PS2, but I will say it's true.

Neither is particularly good though

Im pretty sure I finished Phantasy Star 3 and pretty sure I didnt finish Phantasy Star 2 so probably you're right

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Rascyc posted:

I wouldn't get your hopes too far up. The framing story for the game is just about a new group called Church of Avia and your crew is investigating a new threat to the skies. It sounds like another one of their generic save the world plot lines with some hidden enemies that'll likely be originals to Relink.

GBF plot is at its best if it hits the beats Endorph highlighted. That is, expanding on the setting via the mythos. Admittedly some people are really tired of that because they have been beating the same drum up until these last few months when they introduced the multiverse stuff to allow Relink/Rising to exist. They basically turned a nonsense enemy into a full weird faction that actually has kind of a neatly executed concept. If they do more of that then it might be good too!

Is the mobile game reasonably playable without much grinding/gacha if you only care about going through the main plot stuff?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ytlaya posted:

Is the mobile game reasonably playable without much grinding/gacha if you only care about going through the main plot stuff?

yeah, they give you enough omega weapons to fill out a couple basic grids these days so if all you care about is seeing the story and events it's pretty viable

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Wait a month for the anniversary where you will get about a thousand free rolls and you'll be able to get through most of the main story without any real trouble. And the main draw writing wise are the events, and most of those have like 0 combat these days so you don't need to do any team building or anything to get access to those.

Granblue is insanely grindy if you want to do all content though. To a pretty ridiculous extent imo.The sort of thing where to me at least the more effort you put into it the less rewarding it gets, so going in intending to avoid any grinding is probably the right move.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if you just wanna see the story stuff id just look up the cutscenes on youtube or smth, cause yeah the game itself is basically nothing but grinding

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Everything you learn about Dr. Sheffield proves Heat was right.

That was a different Heat, tho.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Looper posted:

the real incentive for not trying to power level in bg3 is that you'll hit the level cap like 20% into act 3

Being at level 12 for most of act3 is cool and good actually. It's fun to blow up encounters with all your tools/options.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The endgame loot is fully sick so there's still quite a lot of power increases from the beginning of Act 3 to the end.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

mycot posted:

I did think it was really funny when the Granblue fighting game launched the only draphs in the playable cast were Vaseraga and Ladiva, and at least one person thought that's just what female draphs look like.

that's how it should have been

Barudak
May 7, 2007

New Like a Dragon has a Linebacker Job, gently caress yes.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

New Like a Dragon not out for another four days, oh dear.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Inspector Gesicht posted:

New Like a Dragon not out for another four days, oh dear.

That's four days to finish off whatever you're currently playing or, I dunno, play a shortish game or something.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Metroid Prime really did not age gracefully on the design front. I hear the Magmoor Cave theme in my nightmares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Hoping the class system in LAD8 is a bit less..bad feeling. Felt like there was only a couple worth using.