Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Cranappleberry posted:

weird but apparently Travis was spelling out the words "Reggie Ledoux" using the universal language of interpretive dance. Weirdest of all it was with a Texas drawl.

Or maybe this season takes place in the same universe as the OA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Watching this now, the episode intro is weirdly bad compared to the other seasons. Don't mind the song, it's as brooding as anything else they've had. But it felt so... bland. Past three seasons have done a lot with the double-exposure-esque silhouettes, which felt so artsy. But it almost felt like the intro to a hockey game? The weird shot of driving fast down a road into a cgi polar bear? And the shots go so fast. Bland and safe.

It's a sin from coming immediately from Fargo, but I agree with the poster that found the music choices annoying. Licensing The Beatles always feels like a budget flex. Maybe there'll be a reason they needed to go with that/Ferris Bueller's Day Off, but that also feels really safe.

Jodie Foster is a good actress.

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

Cranappleberry posted:

weird but apparently Travis was spelling out the words "Reggie Ledoux" using the universal language of interpretive dance. Weirdest of all it was with a Texas drawl.

calling it now, travis is rust's dad

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Lol spiral on the forehead. preemptively giving this turd a 2/10

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

mark immune posted:

booyah

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

mark immune posted:

Which to me would be awful. I’m fine with there being some relationship to season 1 but it’s gonna be part of your main story?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

The_Rob posted:

Which to me would be awful. I’m fine with there being some relationship to season 1 but it’s gonna be part of your main story?

it’s ******** lol

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Oh god drat it that’s so stupid god drat it maybe just not say his full name oh god drat it

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The most believable part of this season is how absolutely stupid the high school kids are.

Why does that teacher have four globes?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
All the music choices have felt really off.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dr Who looks so old. I feel so old.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

*gutteral screaming*

That was such a great shocker.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Ok maybe I’m imagining things but the two posters in the guys room where the dimple piercing detective is talking to him are ai right? They look like ai.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

they used all their money on bad licensed music and worse cgi. posters are 100% ai

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

i saw META||||L's u.s. tour, both the 1st live date and the 2st live date

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Wow a Cohle and Tuttle drop in one episode. Remember them?! From the good one?!

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

mark immune posted:

i saw META||||L's u.s. tour, both the 1st live date and the 2st live date

Ok I’m glad I wasn’t just imagining this. I didn’t think this ep was as bad as the first episode, but there’s so much about this show that feels off. So many things that would feel more at home on a bad Netflix tv show.

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

magiccarpet posted:

cohle and tuttle weren't in season 2 tho?

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Welp just finished episode 2 and honestly I'm struggling to give a poo poo about anything that's happening.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Gresh posted:

Welp just finished episode 2 and honestly I'm struggling to give a poo poo about anything that's happening.

I’m not even really sure what’s going on honestly. It feels like they’re not doing any actual detective work other than going. Oh look spirals. Here’s some spirals. Remember the spirals?

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

What the gently caress is this ice rink scene

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

magiccarpet posted:

They had better have thought very carefully about adding that poo poo. It’s already overshadowing everything original about this season, even all the old people loving.

If dad detective isn’t getting catfished by the russian mob (season two connection?), it’s pretty wholesome that their version of sending pics is actual pictures around the house. He’s definitely getting catfished though.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ok, so there are three kings according to color theory:

C=Blue (this season)
M=Red (not seen yet. Season five?)
Y=Yellow (season one)
K=King

LaserPrinter69
Sep 6, 2022

"I did a perfect print job, grown men were coming up to me and saying with tears in their eyes, 'Sir, it was a perfect print job.' What they're trying to do to your favorite printer (ME!) is a disgrace."

roomtone posted:

first thing i thought when he was looking at his phone and apparently not listening was he's texting his murder buddies

Odoyle posted:

Dead Son Travis gave me Killer BOB vibes.

I think we can put both of these theories to rest

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I was a little wary after episode 1 but it was at least fun to watch and it moved pretty fast. This episode just sorta … didn’t do anything for me?

I kinda rolled my eyes a bit at the whole Sherlock Holmes photo session at the rink even though I enjoyed the sequence. We get it, it could be supernatural but also maybe there’s just a rational explanation! True Detective baby!

I’m still going to watch, but I’m less interested now.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

"Little St. Nick" by the Beach Boys, what are you doing show.

The frozen pile of bodies is a really fun set piece.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Oh I did like the tattoo parlor twist. Now I'm invested.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I’m losing my mind about the ai posters I can’t stop laughing about it. HBO has how much money??

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

The_Rob posted:

I’m losing my mind about the ai posters I can’t stop laughing about it. HBO has how much money??

They spent it all on licensing Beatles, Beach Boys, Johny Cash, and Spice Girls because apparently they have a mandate to only use music everyone is familiar with. Or maybe affording Jodie Foster. Realize this is very nit-picky, but it's really jarring how haphazardly those cues are matching up with the scenes.

Those posters did look very ai. Like some bastardized KISS poster. But could be based off a real one, lord knows.

I'm enjoying this well enough so far.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

CatstropheWaitress posted:

I'm enjoying this well enough so far.

Yeah same, it's not immediately gripping like season 1 but this is solid so far. The tattoo and trailer park reveals are pretty great so far.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I AM GRANDO posted:

They had better have thought very carefully about adding that poo poo. It’s already overshadowing everything original about this season, even all the old people loving.

If dad detective isn’t getting catfished by the russian mob (season two connection?), it’s pretty wholesome that their version of sending pics is actual pictures around the house. He’s definitely getting catfished though.

He is taking photos of himself when he was younger hehe. He is also somewhat catfishing

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I didn’t realize that’s what he’s doing. That’s pretty funny.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

DangerZoneDelux posted:

He is taking photos of himself when he was younger hehe. He is also somewhat catfishing

I was half expecting him to try to take a dick pic

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Ok I’m so glad I’m not the only person who was instantly distracted by the “META|||L” poster

Edit: hmmmmm ok looking at them both closer maybe they’re both oblique references to the frozen scientists? The way the bodies on the poster on the left are stacked on top of each other reminds me of that. Also both posters feature the performers doing a kind of “pray hands” thing??

Conrad_Birdie fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jan 22, 2024

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Cosodown Live

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I too spent that whole scene looking at the AI posters. That and "it's not an emoji" were the worst parts of an otherwise good episode. Though I don't understand what happened with the screaming guy.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Henchman of Santa posted:

I too spent that whole scene looking at the AI posters. That and "it's not an emoji" were the worst parts of an otherwise good episode. Though I don't understand what happened with the screaming guy.

I think they said they medicated him and put him to sleep or something so she couldn’t talk to him.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

I AM GRANDO posted:

Cosodown Live

2st Live

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

He wasn't all the way dead yet. That bad frostbite and his situation...there probably was no saving him.