Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
I discovered reverb offers and I’ve done some bad things…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

moon demon posted:

I discovered reverb offers and I’ve done some bad things…

oh ho ho ho what a treat
anything that's been sitting for a month or more you can start at least $100 off the asking price
if it's $1k+ you can get even bolder with the haggling

I love it

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
don't keep the boxes you'll never use the boxes because you'll never sell anything

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
LEFTY ALERT: B stock 8.2 lb strat for 900 bux https://g-l-online-store.myshopify.com/products/b-stock-instrument-legacy-l-h-strung-r-h-tobaccoburst-mp

they say it was built in 2006, so it's been stinking up the shop since the bush administration

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Helianthus Annuus posted:

LEFTY ALERT: B stock 8.2 lb strat for 900 bux https://g-l-online-store.myshopify.com/products/b-stock-instrument-legacy-l-h-strung-r-h-tobaccoburst-mp

they say it was built in 2006, so it's been stinking up the shop since the bush administration

Ugh that's tempting but I'm going to exercise restraint

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Do it

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I'm sure I've said this too many times to count but I can never bring myself to understand or approve of the madness that makes a right handed player use a lefty strung reverse

unless they're one of those players that wants the ergonomics of a left handed body and plays "left-handed" but are used to the flipped strings like Dick Dale or Elizabeth Cotton, then you get a pass

but otherwise if you're right handed and just want to be "like Hendrix" I will hunt you to tends of the earth

also buy the guitar luchadornado

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

luchadornado posted:

Ugh that's tempting but I'm going to exercise restraint

(whispering) :yooge: it's american

EDIT: you can tell by the serial and the G&L logo stamped into the neck plate

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

riffin accomplished

🫡

Helianthus Annuus fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 20, 2024

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

American made right under president bush’s nose!!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Pollyanna posted:

Trying to string mute and jump around the fretboard at the same time is a lot harder than I thought :negative: Maybe the Godzilla riff isn’t the best place to start? I wish I was better with my hands…

Are you still taking lessons?

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
riffin accomplished

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Godzilla has a rough time signature change. I learned that in this thread.

e: it sounds easy but it isn't for other rhythm reasons

Sweaty IT Nerd fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jan 20, 2024

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Play Frankenstein problem solved.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Play Frankenstein problem solved.

No. Frankenstein isn't as cool as Godzilla.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I’m putting together a partscaster and have an unfinished, raw maple neck. What kind of finish / oil should I use, if any?

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

people swear by particular things like tung oil or tru oil, but any wipe on finish will be fine. they're all basically thinned out polyurethane anyway

my preference for a finish schedule is 2 coats then lightly buff with 0000 steel wool, repeat, then a final coat. buff that with a piece of denim or a lint-free rag and a drop of paste wax

before applying anything, wipe a damp shop towel along the unfinished wood, then sand it with 320 grit paper

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Humbly requesting goon zeitgeist recommendations for acoustic guitar hard cases or well-protected gig bags with backpack straps. Schlepping this Road Runner hard case around a convention is giving me a major case of Trogdor Arm.

Edit: apparently they make straps that lash around a guitar hard case for like $45-50, do those work well? I don't really gig or travel much to merit spending $200+ for a hard case with integrated straps but those lash straps seem kinda clunky to set up.

Toebone posted:

I’m putting together a partscaster and have an unfinished, raw maple neck. What kind of finish / oil should I use, if any?

I'm doing a partscaster Firebird and used tung oil on the neck. It's amazing how good this stuff is. Sand the neck to 220, blow away dust, rub on a juicy dose of tung oil (the kind Minwax sells is fine, not the 100% pure kind that takes weeks to dry) with a clean old T-shirt or undershirt. Wait 10 minutes, buff the excess oil with a clean old T-shirt. Come back after 24 hours, apply another juicy dose but use 600 grit sandpaper this time. Buff again after 10 minutes. Come back after another 24 hours and if you like the look and feel, you're done. If you want glossier, repeat with 600 grit another time or again.

MJP fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jan 20, 2024

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

MJP posted:

Humbly requesting goon zeitgeist recommendations for acoustic guitar hard cases or well-protected gig bags with backpack straps. Schlepping this Road Runner hard case around a convention is giving me a major case of Trogdor Arm.

Edit: apparently they make straps that lash around a guitar hard case for like $45-50, do those work well? I don't really gig or travel much to merit spending $200+ for a hard case with integrated straps but those lash straps seem kinda clunky to set up.

it all depends on what you mean by "well protected" -- if you need your guitar to survive crushing, you need some kind of hard case, so get the backpack straps for the case you already have IMO

but if you just need the guitar to stay dry, then use a gig bag, because they can be much lighter and easier to walk around with. lot of them have padding to absorb minor bumps. i dont have any specific recommendations -- i use the gig bag that came with my yamaha guitar :shrug:

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Toebone posted:

Go with any oil you fancy that's approved for guitar necks imo. Oil finished necks feel incredible.

On the topic of wipe on finishes, I'm thinking of using renaissance wax on my all oil-finish guitar. I really like how it looks in some pictures I've seen. Not sure about doing the neck or not until I can see how it feels on my hand though.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

insane clown pussy posted:

people swear by particular things like tung oil or tru oil, but any wipe on finish will be fine. they're all basically thinned out polyurethane anyway

my preference for a finish schedule is 2 coats then lightly buff with 0000 steel wool, repeat, then a final coat. buff that with a piece of denim or a lint-free rag and a drop of paste wax

before applying anything, wipe a damp shop towel along the unfinished wood, then sand it with 320 grit paper
:hmmyes:

I did something similar to this, but with Danish oil (and no wax at the end), on an unfinished roasted maple neck last year and am very pleased with how it feels

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Go with any oil you fancy that's approved for guitar necks imo. Oil finished necks feel incredible.

On the topic of wipe on finishes, I'm thinking of using renaissance wax on my all oil-finish guitar. I really like how it looks in some pictures I've seen. Not sure about doing the neck or not until I can see how it feels on my hand though.

no don't put it on your hand dude

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

no don't put it on your hand dude

:wink:

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

can i put tiger balm on my fretboard? asking for a friend

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Well nobody’s gonna stop you

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

luchadornado posted:

can i put tiger balm on my fretboard? asking for a friend

Not if it's a jaguar

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

found this lying on the ground in a old barn so I cleaned it up.

insert Star Wars episode 1 meme. now there are two of them or something. my batwing is going up for sale

No I didn't find it in a barn I traded a LP for it + the proceeds of the batwing

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
owns

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
batwings are my favorite but I think you're making the right decision

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Now that I think about it, I SHOULD get an SG.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Stalizard posted:

batwings are my favorite but I think you're making the right decision

its an easy choice for me above all else the 61 neck fits my hand better x1000. the custombuckers and other upgrades aren't half bad either tho. it plays very easy. though it came with the bridge so low I through it was going to go home and raise it. but I can't hear any buzzing through amp so I'm holding back on adjusting that. did adjust out a little backbow

ethanol fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jan 22, 2024

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
have you thought about simply putting the correct pick guard on it, so that it would look the way it's supposed to

Hedonism Bot
Feb 15, 2005
Jumby, the chocolate icing!

Toebone posted:

I built a Tele kit over the New Year and used a few coats of Danish oil on the maple neck. I used 400 grit wet/dry when applying the 2nd and 3rd coats of oil to it. The neck feels great. I considered doing a couple of coats of wipe-on poly but decided to just stick with the cured Danish oil for now.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Stalizard posted:

have you thought about simply putting the correct pick guard on it, so that it would look the way it's supposed to

ill die before I put a batwing on it tbh

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Hedonism Bot posted:

I built a Tele kit over the New Year and used a few coats of Danish oil on the maple neck. I used 400 grit wet/dry when applying the 2nd and 3rd coats of oil to it. The neck feels great. I considered doing a couple of coats of wipe-on poly but decided to just stick with the cured Danish oil for now.

I love how this looks, holy drat.

Well I got mine back and immediately broke the volume pot taking the knob off to check the shaft length, which whatever I was replacing it anyway but ughhh. Although once my parts come in I'm done modifying it for a while. The soldering inside is some of the worst I've seen in a while so I'm more than happy to un-gently caress the wiring for good. I wish I could paint worth a drat, it'd be fun to throw some designs on the body.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

trilobite terror posted:

Are you still taking lessons?

No, I stopped. Teaching style and priorities wasn’t a good fit - too high level without getting the basics down first. Plus other things…

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I am here once again with some guitar riffs. Best of the year 2000!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaUljM5Qs68

Learned a few important lessons with this one:

* Do all your automation once everything is recorded and edited, because boy does Logic piss me off when I have to move anything around

* Don't wear what I was wearing if you're gonna use a green light

* Trim your goddamn beard, geez

* Don't tell your wife it's fine that she's too high to let her hold a camera and then let her hold a camera

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

fullroundaction posted:

* Don't tell your wife it's fine that she's too high to let her hold a camera and then let her hold a camera

It's a stylistic choice

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Armacham posted:

It's a stylistic choice

She said it makes her more creative. So maybe!

Only pain in the rear end it creates for me is when I go to edit the videos for TikTok (vertical) and I have to nudge everything into place manually instead of all of the "action" being mostly centered.

But whatever, free labor and she supports all of my dumb hobby bullshit 100%.

Not to brag, but she's constantly telling me to buy a new guitar so I don't have to keep loving around with lovely detuning plugins but I won't because I'm a chronic minimalist and even though I desperately want one I can't seem to bring myself to pull the trigger. Would love to have my pink dude in C standard though since it's already multiscale.

e: I did demo a Digitech Drop pedal and it was really good but not any better than my software when doing blind a/b testing :(. That and I couldn't really find a use for the harmonizing section and the pedal didn't really imitate an actual whammy bar very well so ... just wasn't for me. I would absolutely recommend to anyone playing live though.

fullroundaction fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jan 23, 2024

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Guitar-learning-stuff-rambling-post incoming.

Someone on the guitar discord linked to a Tomo Fujita video about learning triads with three different practice exercises. I've "learned" about triads before a couple times, but it never quite stuck or turned into something I felt I could use. But I think this time it finally clicked. It had me thinking about what's different about learning triads this time from the other times. I think one thing is the video itself, he wraps up the video with a couple quick examples of how it can start to turn from an exercise into music. He's just going from C to F, but it does start to sound like music, and that got me excited to try that out. But aside from just the video, I've also gotten much better at fretboard knowledge since the last time I studied triads, I think due to all the work I've been doing reading dot-notation scores for classical guitar. I can almost pin down every note on the fretboard without thinking about it. So when it's time to jump up the string from the G to the C in the exercises, I can do that much more easily, without having to think about that in addition to the new triad stuff I'm trying to learn. I'm also able to recognize what inversion I'm playing for the same reason. Since then I've also got a better handle on CAGED and how that relates to scales and chord shapes, so when I'm laying down the triad shape, I quickly recognize "oh this is the middle three strings of an E shape so it's *these* three frets" without having to think about it so much or puzzle it out from first principles.

Anyway it's just been interesting to realize how all the different things I've been working on separately all work to reinforce each other when I go to focus on some new thing. Like, I didn't learn the notes on the fretboard with the intent of making triads easier, but that's what happened. Really cool feeling to finally have this thing I've tried a few times before finally gel, and recognizing that it's thanks to other stuff I've been working on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

...which Tomo Fujita triads video was it?