Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Checking in as a Vikings fan to say I would be about 95% as excited for a Lions championship as us finally getting ours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Checking in as a Vikings fan to say I would be about 95% as excited for a Lions championship as us finally getting ours

Absolute same, like I said in the aftermath thread the vibes coming from Detroit are off the chain and what sports fandom is all about, I’m both supremely jealous and excited for the Lions right now, it’s good poo poo

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

its very hard to describe what it feels like to be a lifetime Lions fan right now

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Thaddius the Large posted:

Absolute same, like I said in the aftermath thread the vibes coming from Detroit are off the chain and what sports fandom is all about, I’m both supremely jealous and excited for the Lions right now, it’s good poo poo

I haven’t experienced this kind of sports fandom since going to an Arsenal game. My section owned because there were more Bucks fans in our section since it was right behind their bench, and we were basically all BFFs by the end of the game lol

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

its very hard to describe what it feels like to be a lifetime Lions fan right now

Jubilation

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I haven't hit jubilation yet, I'm still numb from shock. I absolutely cannot believe this poo poo is happening.

Holy hell, this is incredible

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Q_res posted:

I haven't hit jubilation yet, I'm still numb from shock. I absolutely cannot believe this poo poo is happening.

You and me both, Q_res.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://x.com/staceydales/status/1749211866352460279?s=46&t=GxZoSKgPzb_-zyUnvLFKvg

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Q_res posted:

yeah it really just feels surreal

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
One of the key, fundamental aspects of being a Lions fan is endlessly drowning in "what ifs" — as the team we root for has been so bereft of success for so long, all we can do is sit back and dream of the better world that never was. What if the Lions had never traded Bobby Layne? What if the Fords had never bought the team, or what if WCF wasn't such a bad owner? What if the Lion hadn't wasted Barry Sanders, Matt Stafford, or Calvin Johnson? What if the refs didn't gently caress us over, constantly? What if? What if? What if?

The last season the Lions could genuinely be considered good, and probably the only season of the last two and a half decades where you can truly say that, was 2014, and god you can spend all day imagining what could have been. We had it all: Stafford, Calvin, and Suh in their primes. Ziggy Ansah was good, DeAndre Levy wasn't broken, and Darius Slay was ascendant. The defense was a legitimately terrifying unit, one of the best in the NFL. It was the best season we'd had in 20 years, and yet — what if they'd drafted Aaron Donald instead of Eric Ebron? What if Caldwell hadn't hired Joe "Let's use Calvin as a decoy" Lombardi as OC? What if they'd won that final game against Green Bay to finally win the division, and get that home playoff game for a city who so desperately wanted it? And looming above all the rest: what if they hadn't picked up that flag? A year of such incredible heights ended with crushing disappointment, magnified further by the depths of the collapse in 2015 and Calvin's departure at the end of that season. If only...

What makes this year so surreal is that there are no "what ifs." The Lions crushed the draft. Injuries weren't crippling. The Lions won 12 games and the division, and the one game that was marred by controversy, that could have easily been a what if... moment, ended up not mattering in the slightest. (This is the one and only time I may ever say this, so please relish it: thank you packers) They are now poised to play in the NFC Championship, against one of the best teams in the league, and have a legitimate shot of making their very first Superbowl, and their first championship game appearance since Eisenhower was in the White House and there were only 12 teams in the league.

No matter what else happens on Sunday, or god forbid, the week after next, the 2023 Detroit Lions have done more to change the narrative of this team more than any other roster or coach has done in the last half-century. There is no "what if," they did it, or at least got within spitting distance. Things may change, of course — there will always be more "What if?" moments, especially if the team falters next year or the years after. But right now, in this moment, we don't have to dream about what this team could have been, or imagine how loud that crowd would be at the long-fabled home playoff game at Ford Field. It happened. It was real. And it was wonderful, incredible, glorious vindication for all the years of suffering, of mockery, of others asking "why are you even a fan of this garbage team?" This is why, you miserable bastards: For this moment, right now. And even if our hearts are broken, this moment will always be here, for as long as there is a city of Detroit.

The Lions are in the NFC Championship. What else can I possibly say?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

gently caress, at that point, just keep Getsy...

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1749388890333381064

gently caress yeah

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

https://twitter.com/SharpFootball/status/1749209599591227744?s=20

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Acebuckeye is already looking past the NFCCG to the pro bowl. 😞

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

I've had to work all weekend, night shift, in a hospital. I caught bits of games on the TV in patient's rooms. Woke up and saw a bit before work too. Seemed like a great playoff weekend.

I'm bummed the Packers lost. But I am loving excited for the next couple years: The Packers are gonna win a super bowl soon. Jordan Love is legit. He's is going to terrorize the NFC North for the next 12+ years like Favre and Rodgers did. I am real bummed we didn't get a Lions/Packers NFC Championship game. But it might happen in the next couple years.

I have lived in Michigan for most of my life(born in Wisconsin). I am legit happy for the Lions fans. I hope they beat the 49ers. I have zero ill will towards the Lions, and I think it's hilarious how much their fans hate the Packers. One of my top 3 favorite football memories involves the Lions: Favre to Sharpe in the playoffs. That was the year I moved to Michigan, and I watched the game with a bunch of Lions fans. It was great.

This is a really good move, and I hate it. NFC North gonna be wild the next couple years.

Malaria fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jan 22, 2024

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Q_res posted:

Same.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

We'll all be talking about how much Waldron sucks and demand that he gets fired all next year because he works for the bears.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Huge red flag, no one competent would sign up to work for eberflus

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i know nothing about waldron. why is he a good hire for oc?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/Justin_Rogers/status/1749417470014677401

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

abelwingnut posted:

he's a bears offensive coordinator, he sucks

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

abelwingnut posted:

Showed an ability to design an offense around, and developed Geno Smith from an afterthought to a QB putting up like ~top 10 numbers

In a down year, they were still 12th or so offensive DVOA.

Has been a successful playcaller, and gameplan designer.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Lol that they would
Lmao that they blocked him

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
It's a dumb as poo poo move to hire this guy before the season ends and you don't even look at the sanfran people

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Or Baltimore, given you have your own Lamar Jackson

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

waldron is OFFICIALLY the bears new oc per espn.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
So if the lions could hurry up and knock them out I would appreciate it.
They looked very beatable this weekend

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

abelwingnut posted:

waldron is OFFICIALLY the bears new oc per espn.

gently caress this team

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I know why they don't, but I really wish people would post names. If you're going to make a prediction, you deserve to eat some poo poo when you're massively wrong.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

The Niners looked extremely beatable against the Packers. The Lions can definitely win it.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Little stat that will be repeated endlessly for the next week is that the last time the Lions won in San Francisco was 1975

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Yeah, who do you actually plan on poaching from San Fran in this scenario? Especially considering Shanahan is their play caller anyway. No thanks.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Packers exposed the Niners hard. A couple slip ups happened that kept them from walking away with a dominant win. Gonna be a good rear end game, hopefully rain won't be a factor this time.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
https://x.com/haydenwinks/status/1749431319128596979?s=46

Fields is gone.

Ifgalra
Jun 19, 2023

ooouuuhh what the !!

If this man doesn't get Coach of the Year he's been absolutely loving robbed.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

i spent the whole fourth quarter hearing, “if you can get ahold of them and drag them out to the abyss, you can loving drown them” in my head.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

The 49ers have been the Big Bad of the NFC since before the season started. It's felt like a defacto road through Santa Clara to get to the SB before we even kicked off the season, and I guess you have to acknowledge that they actually delivered on that with their play.

But I don't expect the Lions to be worried about such psychological matters and I expect them to be ready to play. And they absolutely can go there and win.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Bird in a Blender posted:

I know why they don't, but I really wish people would post names. If you're going to make a prediction, you deserve to eat some poo poo when you're massively wrong.

Because the Internet is loving garbage.

Unhinged people taking a loving opinion about football too seriously and harassing people for just having a bad sports opinion.

So post it with no name and that way the person knows everyone is laughing at them but like they aren't getting DMs and personal threats over the fact they thought the Lions made a bad hire.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Push El Burrito posted:

A couple slip ups happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
He should reply back with "lmao"