Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renreeja
Oct 11, 2007

Did anybody post about SKs Blue party Lee Jaemyung getting neckstabbed by a chud posing as a lib supporter? Nicked Lee's juggular and they ended up air flying him from Busan to Seoul to complete the operation. The conservatives are demanding he apologize for getting stabbed in the neck, the excuse they clamped onto is that by flying to Seoul he snubbed Busan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Renreeja posted:

Did anybody post about SKs Blue party Lee Jaemyung getting neckstabbed by a chud posing as a lib supporter? Nicked Lee's juggular and they ended up air flying him from Busan to Seoul to complete the operation. The conservatives are demanding he apologize for getting stabbed in the neck, the excuse they clamped onto is that by flying to Seoul he snubbed Busan

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

yugioh mishima posted:

jiufen is great and especially worth seeing if you like ghibli, it was the inspiration for the town in spirited away

however it will be absolutely full of people if you go on a saturday/sunday and IMO not really worth it if the weather is bad (which it is supposed to be after tomorrow)

jiufun has amazing food, but then again, pretty much everywhere in taiwan does.

outside of taipei, i'm partial to hualien and taichung.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Renreeja posted:

This is so Korean it hurts.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Thanks for Taiwan tips. Jiufun looks cool, but I’m only in Taipei for a few days and given this is my first time I suspect I’ll be tied up completely within the city. For a longer trip, Jiufun absolutely sounds great as mining is an adjacent industry to my career

I fly over to Tokyo on Monday for a few days there too, but I know that’s a bit more planned.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
How did I not hear about jiufen when I was there. Well Tamsui was nice too and absolutely worth a visit. As I recall it's on a subway line so should be more easily accessible.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Yes it is very easy to get to Tamsui, and you can then enjoy all the fried junk you can eat.

There are several MRT line that go close enough to the mountains you can get some easy beautiful views as well.

yugioh mishima
Oct 22, 2020

Nam Taf posted:

Thanks for Taiwan tips. Jiufun looks cool, but I’m only in Taipei for a few days and given this is my first time I suspect I’ll be tied up completely within the city. For a longer trip, Jiufun absolutely sounds great as mining is an adjacent industry to my career

I fly over to Tokyo on Monday for a few days there too, but I know that’s a bit more planned.

close to jiufen you also have houtong where they just opened a mining museum in an old coal washing building. by 'small town Taiwan museum' standards it is extremely good - sensitively restored, lots of English, displays aren't just dry technical descriptions, 10/10 would recommend. also there are tons of cats everywhere (this is the main attraction of the town tbh)

If you only have a few days in taipei then yeah there's definitely enough to see in the city to fill your time. tamsui is nice and the sunset there is famous, but if you want a cool sunset without a 40-minute MRT ride then dadaocheng wharf is basically in the downtown area and you can also gorge yourself on fried food at ningxia night market afterwards

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

yeah houtong / jiufen / keelung are hella cool, tamsui is nice as well especially the old fortress

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

yugioh mishima posted:

close to jiufen you also have houtong where they just opened a mining museum in an old coal washing building. by 'small town Taiwan museum' standards it is extremely good - sensitively restored, lots of English, displays aren't just dry technical descriptions, 10/10 would recommend. also there are tons of cats everywhere (this is the main attraction of the town tbh)

If you only have a few days in taipei then yeah there's definitely enough to see in the city to fill your time. tamsui is nice and the sunset there is famous, but if you want a cool sunset without a 40-minute MRT ride then dadaocheng wharf is basically in the downtown area and you can also gorge yourself on fried food at ningxia night market afterwards

i'll have to hit that up when we go back this year. a few years back i was in xizhi district, which was a coal mining area during the dictatorship, and they had a community coal mining museum which was not nearly as cool. (though did have beers with the cool neighborhood uncle who took me around because he was fascinated that there was a foreigner who knew that there were many different kinds of coal.)

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I think I’ve convinced my host to take me to the Ningxia markets since she had planned a night market one of the nights.

Currently at her work in a jazz bar that has this on the screen showing the album art. Taiwan truly number 1.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

taiwanese night markets are amazing, but the real secret win are the all-night/early morning breakfast shops.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

It sounds like I’m going to end up at overnight techno raves so breakfast markets are most likely on the cards. What should I be ordering?

E: I’ve been added to some guy’s bottle of laphroaig 10

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jan 18, 2024

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Nam Taf posted:

It sounds like I’m going to end up at overnight techno raves so breakfast markets are most likely on the cards. What should I be ordering?

E: I’ve been added to some guy’s bottle of laphroaig 10

The breakfast crepe 蛋餅 with bacon or ham and turnip cake 蘿蔔糕 are my favorite. I also like savory soy milk 鹹豆漿, and rice milk 米漿.

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

Start with a Pocari Sweat and dan bing every day. Then steamed buns, maybe fried dumplings. Bubble tea or taro milk. Fried dough stick with some warm soy milk. Gua bao, if you see an old man filling steamed bun with pulled pork get one. Then of course whatever is famous at the night market you're at, you have to try. It's famous.

Pocari Sweat is the secret to success.

yugioh mishima
Oct 22, 2020

light blue pocari sweat is better than the original imo. And i’m adding 蔥油餅/蔥㧓餅 to the all night soy milk/breakfast list and also 燒餅 with egg and/or cheese

oh and if you’re going to a gay techno rave this weekend then im probably djing, say hi if u dare :unsmigghh:

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

yugioh mishima posted:

light blue pocari sweat is better than the original imo. And i’m adding 蔥油餅/蔥㧓餅 to the all night soy milk/breakfast list and also 燒餅 with egg and/or cheese

oh and if you’re going to a gay techno rave this weekend then im probably djing, say hi if u dare :unsmigghh:

hell yeah, shaobing, dan bing, or scallion pancakes are the way to go. also with the sauce and 5 spice powder.

don't get the breakfast joint milk tea though unless you're constipated, it'll give you crazy shits.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Taiwan goons, are there any freight forwarding services that will ship a few small items from e.g. ruten abroad, for reasonable prices? I mean like for consumers, not large commercial operations, something like PandaBuy or CSS for the mainland.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

yugioh mishima posted:

Studio 9?

Spent the day eating hot and sour noodles, wandering around the riverside park, drank some sugar cane juice and now I’m at MAJI square before we head out.

yugioh mishima
Oct 22, 2020

Nam Taf posted:

Studio 9?

Lmao yep that’s the one

if you’re there before 1 then i’ll be playing some :catdrugs: music

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

mobby_6kl posted:

Taiwan goons, are there any freight forwarding services that will ship a few small items from e.g. ruten abroad, for reasonable prices? I mean like for consumers, not large commercial operations, something like PandaBuy or CSS for the mainland.

Ok seems like https://www.letsgobuy-tw.com/how-it-works- might be the only option? Which would explain why it's so expensive, about $50 to order 2 items under 1kg total and ship them to Europe.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

yugioh mishima posted:

if you’re there before 1 then i’ll be playing some :catdrugs: music

Missed your set unfortunately! We only arrived at 1

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Apparently a Chinese patrol had a bit of a discussion with a Vietnamese fishing boat:
https://i.imgur.com/cOLCBQj.mp4
Stolen translation, supposedly pretty decent:

quote:

Chinese sailor(in pretty decent Vietnamese): This is a Chinese ship in government service. We're sorry that your ship had used rude and impolite language. You should watch your tone and manners... Over.

Vietnamese fishing boat captain: [mumble] You screw things up on land now you gotta screw things up at sea too.. gently caress your mom and your ancestors.

actual transmission Advising Chinese ship to gently caress off from Vietnamese territory. Or we'll shoot you dead!

[Chinese sailor turns to the camera, intending to say something to the reporter, but Vietnamese transmission continues]

[mumbling] Motherfuckers now try all sorts of poo poo. They are all sly scheming bastards. Motherfucker they did it in Cambodia now they're doing it here. They dammed the rivers tight like a motherfucking whore so everything got stuck on motherfucking Central Highlands and poo poo. gently caress their mothers and ancestors all of them.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
RIP Cambodia. God bless the Viets

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

mobby_6kl posted:

Apparently a Chinese patrol had a bit of a discussion with a Vietnamese fishing boat:
https://i.imgur.com/cOLCBQj.mp4
Stolen translation, supposedly pretty decent:

a people of dragon and fairy indeed

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

loving around in Cambodia who do they think they are? That's our stomping ground!

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Is China still having problems with youth(20-30) unemployment?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Tai posted:

It's bad enough the government no longer reports statistics about it, so you could say that yeah.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

edit: ^^^numbers started up again last week. i think it was published as ~15%

Tai posted:

they stopped reporting numbers for a bit, then changed the way unemployment is calculated to make the number smaller. still not looking great

TrashMammal fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 21, 2024

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

China is reporting EU level youth unemployment rates, which isn't very healthy for a economy supposed to be stronger and growing faster than the EU.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015
The youth unemployment rate is officially lower because they no longer count college students as unemployed. Why would any of them need a job, don't they have wealthy parents?

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

je1 healthcare posted:

The youth unemployment rate is officially lower because they no longer count college students as unemployed. Why would any of them need a job, don't they have wealthy parents?

does anywhere count students not seeking working as unemployed? or are they specifically discounting jobseekers if they're students?

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Did China ever report how many old people died from covid?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The official number is 83,150. The realistic estimate, assuming death rates were roughly similar to other countries based on the number of infections, is around a million. Majority of which would've been old.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Accurate numbers? Hell no. Their numbers were fiction from the start.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

je1 healthcare posted:

if college students aren't seeking employment, they aren't unemployed, at least in the Economics Textbook use of yhe word "unemployed"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

je1 healthcare posted:

They do that literally everywhere. It's surprising that they didn't used to, too.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Japan also counts retired elderly people as "unemployed" (無職).

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

peanut posted:

Japan also counts retired elderly people as "unemployed" (無職).

If I'm reading this https://www.stat.go.jp/english/data/roudou/pdf/180302.pdf correctly, that isn't true, they're counted as underutilized not unemployed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

A better term would be winning