Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you call the disposable plastic bags with the clip at the top?
Zip Lock Bags
Glad Bags
View Results

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
please subscribe to me on onlystorms for more storm content

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

no ring

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

there is a cooked crypto version of higgins that gets posted (and usually quickly hidden) in the comments of bom tweets that i prefer

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!

Airstream Driver posted:

I hope you're not giving this flog money.

Nah.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Who remembers Copperart? WTF was that about?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiG7gvxvMrs

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Bill Posters posted:

Who remembers Copperart? WTF was that about?

Copper copper COPPER! One of my favourite Steve Vizard bits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNF7JIwXoWA

We had a Copperart in town, eventually it turned into HOMEart with much less copper stuff, boring.

Just found an ad without Pete Smith but with Melbourne drummer and "identity" Geoff Cox instead!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pyih38l8Z1g

GrandMaster
Aug 15, 2004
laidback
Haha copperart - the ancient shinto symbols

https://youtu.be/nKgzr41ucHo?si=PfGp66fb_4VN32Bf

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Holy poo poo Copperart, what a flashback

It’s amazing looking at that now, thinking that there was a store entirely selling poo poo. “Fire covers”? How many people in Australia have an actual fireplace??

And I can’t hear that guys voice without hearing “it’s saaaaaaaaaale of the century! And here’s your host, Tony Barber!”

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
My childhood home had a fireplace, my Dad got rid of it in the early 90's because he got sick of chopping wood for it. Maybe that's the cause of the Copperart demise, people just got sick of having to deal with fireplaces and didn't need those pokey stick things anymore

ili
Jul 26, 2003

I'd like to have a fireplace it would be nice to sit in front of in winter. Like having your very own campfire but indoors.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

Our house has 3 open fireplaces with cast iron inserts. Two back on to the same chimney but the third seems to be entirely decorative as there is no chimney behind it. I'm guessing it was removed when the extension was built.

I wouldn't mind getting one going in winter but my much smarter wife doesn't want to deal with soot and ashes all over the furniture.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Don’t forget those giant novelty watch wall clocks!

I guess these days our “pointless junk homewares” market is taken up by Daiso etc

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Bill Posters posted:

Our house has 3 open fireplaces with cast iron inserts. Two back on to the same chimney but the third seems to be entirely decorative as there is no chimney behind it. I'm guessing it was removed when the extension was built.

I wouldn't mind getting one going in winter but my much smarter wife doesn't want to deal with soot and ashes all over the furniture.

Unless they are designed and engineered properly, fires in fireplaces tend to cool down a room, rather than heat it up.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

webmeister posted:

Holy poo poo Copperart, what a flashback

It’s amazing looking at that now, thinking that there was a store entirely selling poo poo. “Fire covers”? How many people in Australia have an actual fireplace??

And I can’t hear that guys voice without hearing “it’s saaaaaaaaaale of the century! And here’s your host, Tony Barber!”

Mine had a Burke and Will's copper fire cover. Not from Copperart though.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

NPR Journalizard posted:

Unless they are designed and engineered properly, fires in fireplaces tend to cool down a room, rather than heat it up.

Also apparently all wood heaters are just pretty bad for you in general

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-01-15/wood-heater-smoke-death-study-prompts-call-for-ban/103321954

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

NPR Journalizard posted:

I mean, they've been there since 1910 so they must have done something at some point?

But yeah, the health thing is a far bigger concern.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Mine had a Burke and Will's copper fire cover. Not from Copperart though.

We had a rather grand copper fire cover depicting a grand old sailing ship in bas relief... in front of a glass fronted oil heater. Didn't stop me, I melted so many bread clips and lego pieces on that glass

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Bill Posters posted:

I mean, they've been there since 1910 so they must have done something at some point?

But yeah, the health thing is a far bigger concern.

Just because something has been done for the last 100 years doesnt mean it was correct.

If you think about it, all the heat is just going up a chimney, which sucks in air from outside the room which is generally colder.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

That's convection, which certainly makes them inefficient; but it's the radiant heat that heats the room.

Not saying you're wrong or anything but it just strikes me that if that were strictly true, then in the 50-80 years before the ducted heating went in, someone would have cottoned on to the idea that the house got colder when they lit the fire.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Chrpno posted:

We had a rather grand copper fire cover depicting a grand old sailing ship in bas relief... in front of a glass fronted oil heater. Didn't stop me, I melted so many bread clips and lego pieces on that glass

For me it was straws.

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

We had a wood fireplace in the lounge and it warmed most of the house.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Ours was the enclosed combustion type with a little glass door on the front. I remember that it did a pretty decent job of warming up the house. You'd assume an enclosed fire would be more safe but my earliest memory is doing a forward roll in front of it, misjudging the distance and putting both my feet clean through the glass. It was summer at the time so I didn't burn myself and somehow didn't slide up my feet but my mum did slap the poo poo out of me for breaking it.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
Before castleraegh there was brickies
https://www.whichcar.com.au/features/archive-brickies-the-home-of-australias-illegal-street-racing-in-the-70s

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Carlos Lantana posted:

Before castleraegh there was brickies

Top stuff

Kooragang Island's the go tho, probably still happening out there

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Side note: there's so many places around named "Castlereagh", generally after the Viscount Castlereagh as a tribute to his hand in the defeat of Napoleon. A troubled and divisive character to say the least, he seemed generally reviled in his later years, but I guess news travels slowly to the colonies.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
Growing up we didn't have an electric or gas oven but a combustion fireplace. If you didn't light the fire then you didn't have hot water for the day either. At the time I thought we must have been really bloody poor to still be using such old tech but I grew up in one of the poorer places in Tasmania and we were the only ones so who knows. We didn't have a shower either or a bathroom sink so it was probably just my parents being weird.

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under

Airstream Driver posted:

We had a wood fireplace in the lounge and it warmed most of the house.

Us too. Pretty fukken simple.
Pete Smith must have made a motza off Copperart ads, they ran ad-fkn-nauseum during the late 80's into the late 90's.

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under

:five:

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!

Sick bit of poo poo you found here eh

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Exciting Australiana news: corrupt cop and serial fuckwit Roger Rogerson has died.

He murdered at least two people in cold blood, and probably a third too. Plus the two people he shot "in the line of duty". And the rival cop he tried to have murdered (who got shot multiple times but survived).

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

BastardAus posted:

Us too. Pretty fukken simple.
Pete Smith must have made a motza off Copperart ads, they ran ad-fkn-nauseum during the late 80's into the late 90's.

To say nothing of his time on Triple M in the mid/late 90s with Tony Martin and Mick Molloy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzgtIlVTlZc

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
We used to be a country
https://youtu.be/pDUIIl_OUuo?si=GK-6qLQrZA8yFZzZ

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I yeah I fucken remember my little brother (who was literally like 8-10) pawning all the game systems up until n94 one at a time(and I mean a master system, a couple of mega drives, a mega CD, an NES, an SNES or two, some game boys + accessories, and god knows how many games to buy loving pogs or something like that) for junkie prices at the local Cash Converters. I'd be over there every second weekend "Hey let's play street fighter where's the mega drive" "I pawned it at cash converts for $10".

gently caress that shop.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Meh poo poo happens. I think I sold my SNES at a garage sale for like $30. No regrats I either emulate it on my PC or play it via switch online.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

Sick bit of poo poo you found here eh

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ili
Jul 26, 2003

DPM posted:

To say nothing of his time on Triple M in the mid/late 90s with Tony Martin and Mick Molloy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzgtIlVTlZc

Martin Molloy was pretty sick hey. Think Mick Molloy turned out to be a bit of a wanker but. Maybe Tony Martin too idk.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Aware posted:

Meh poo poo happens. I think I sold my SNES at a garage sale for like $30. No regrats I either emulate it on my PC or play it via switch online.

Wow this is the most only child post I ever read. If you have brothers or sisters you should go make sure because I don't believe you.

"I would have just been happy to have a brother that sold all my loving game systems to cash converters." :qq:

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I was speaking more to the quality of the advertisement, but y'all go off , im here for it

Cash converters zone

I bought a banjo mandolin once, sick little instrument

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I'm sorry but it's still a real sore spot to me. At the time I was furious at him but now how the hell could they let a 9 year old kid pawn their loving nintendo?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Kids dumb man