Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

The grand strategy is removing elections in the US. Putin taking Ukraine over gives Republicans a 'hey look authoritarianism kills the undesirables gets poo poo done!!!'

I know that was the joke but gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

I've been reading about a strike on a Donetsk civilian market. Ukraine has HIMARS and doesn't attack civilians. I just assume it was Russia's incompetence and/or has a history of intentionally targeting civilians even if victims are their own.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

War Wizard posted:

It's been getting stretched. I feel like it's a "Fool me once.." razor, where we can attribute stupidity the first time, then malice each additional time.

And then get confused and then quote a The Who lyric

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Strategic Tea posted:

Russia can also win by getting gopnik culture to 80% in all neighboring states, or by launching a mars mission (can piggyback w/ elon)

americhuds are too fat to squat

rowkey bilbao
Jul 24, 2023
A Russian millionaire in his private jet crashed over Afghanistan and we'll never know wtf for sure.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
I missed it. Could they crash another Russian millionaire so I can just make sure it happened?

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
With cohort sizes this small conclusions can only ever be anecdotal.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

DiomedesGodshill posted:

I've been reading about a strike on a Donetsk civilian market. Ukraine has HIMARS and doesn't attack civilians. I just assume it was Russia's incompetence and/or has a history of intentionally targeting civilians even if victims are their own.

Ukraine through official policy might not, but disgruntled commanders certainly could. I dunno what Himars has to do with this, but apparently the market was hit with 155/152mm artillery shells, which is obviously used way more often than any of the missile systems, and available to pretty much everyone on the front, with little oversight

Sure, Russia MIGHT have bombed their own market, but I think it's far more likely to be perpetrated by elements from the AFU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Keep in mind it's a Ukrainian market.

It's possible of course, either as some sort of fuckup or some rear end in a top hat getting mad and wanting to teach "them" a lesson or whatever. Hopefully it's seriously investigated because we don't need this kind of poo poo happening.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

EorayMel posted:

Why invade Taiwan when you can just invade every square kilometer east of Moscow?

No electronics industry and know-how in yakutsk, just cold and no plumbing because permafrost.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Not much lebensraum in Taiwan though

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Bohemian Nights posted:

Ukraine through official policy might not, but disgruntled commanders certainly could. I dunno what Himars has to do with this, but apparently the market was hit with 155/152mm artillery shells, which is obviously used way more often than any of the missile systems, and available to pretty much everyone on the front, with little oversight

Sure, Russia MIGHT have bombed their own market, but I think it's far more likely to be perpetrated by elements from the AFU

Just spitballing here, but I'd expect a mistake by the AFU to be more likely than an intentional targeting of civilians by either side in these circumstances.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

EasilyConfused posted:

Just spitballing here, but I'd expect a mistake by the AFU to be more likely than an intentional targeting of civilians by either side in these circumstances.

What if--and hear me out on this--Russia mistakenly targeted the wrong civilian infrastructure? It combines all known elements: Russia targeting civilians, Russia being incompetent, and blame being placed on the AFU pre-investigation.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

The Tekstylnykiv market is right next to the Vulitsa Petrovskogo overpass over the rail line to Volnovakha, so it is possible Ukrainian artillery attempted to destroy the overpass to disrupt both rail and road logistics, but overshot the target.

However, the following are equally possible:

• The Russians shot down something headed further back and it landed and exploded in the market.
  • The Russians shot something like Grads over the area and one of them failed, landing and exploding in the market.
  • Poor quality ammunition on the Russian side resulted in a shell undershooting badly.

Without further data, we can't know.

It's pretty certain Ukrainian forces didn't deliberately shell civilians, because what would that accomplish, except wasting limited ammo on making the people you're supposed to liberate really mad at you?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://i.imgur.com/aHT7H3q.mp4

Game over, vatniks!

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

you need to xpost that to the osha thread

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1749400393061163073#m
MUH NOOOOOOKS

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Well, they're not wrong, are they? The only thing keeping Russia as a major power at this point is nukes, and nothing else.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Also a shitload of tanks and artillery and mobiks that the collective NATO+EU can't match apparently

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Why would their confidence be shaken in their super effective, well equipped and motivated conventional armed forces who have definitely never hosed up once?

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1749464843432673575#m

quote:

Polish Prime Minister Tusk spoke sharply about the demonstration of a policy of neutrality by some leaders of European Union member states against the backdrop of the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

"Today, anyone in the free world who pretends to be neutral, maintains an even distance or demonstrates it towards Ukraine and Russia deserves the darkest place in political hell,” Tusk emphasized.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

That's not a comment I expected from him

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Huh, I thought Poland was Hungary-assisting in EU shenanigans, though their sensitivity to Russian aggression isn’t surprising.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

Huh, I thought Poland was Hungary-assisting in EU shenanigans, though their sensitivity to Russian aggression isn’t surprising.

Poland had elections and the fascists are out.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

spankmeister posted:

Poland had elections and the fascists are out.

I didn’t even know that was a thing that could happen these days! Great news, I should probably be keeping up better on world events.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

I didn’t even know that was a thing that could happen these days! Great news, I should probably be keeping up better on world events.

Unfortunately Slovakia had elections and the fascists are back in.

So Hungary can continue their little games inside EU and openly side with Putin, because they found a new bottom buddy.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Wait when did that happen, I thought they were poised to go even more right or something

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Toxic Mental posted:

Wait when did that happen, I thought they were poised to go even more right or something

Poland? Last year. It was kind of a big deal
in Europe, for obvious reasons. A glimmer of hope in dark times. It took a while for Tusk to come into power though because PiS was still the biggest party and therefore had first chance in forming a coalition. Of course that didn't work but they stalled as long as possible.

Donald Tusk's coalition is an odd bunch which was basically all parties who were against PiS' systematic destruction of Poland's institutions.

Slovakia was also last year btw.

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jan 22, 2024

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
did you refer to the polepoll or the pollpole this is important

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

did you refer to the polepoll or the pollpole this is important

First past the Pole.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
good news (not for Russia) regarding that damaged oil and gas terminal

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

How did Ukraine get those drones to the target? Sneak into the Baltic and launch from there?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Subjunctive posted:

How did Ukraine get those drones to the target? Sneak into the Baltic and launch from there?

The propeller ones with long wingspan supposedly have enough range, IIRC? Flying through Russia would be a bet against the quality of their AA and radar coverage, of course.

I'd like to launch a conspiracy theory that they had help from Finland or Estonia, but I don't think they would take that gamble.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Subjunctive posted:

Prop driven drones like the Shahed have a massive range, easily the 1000 kilometers needed to reach St. Petersburg. Downside is that it's slow with big wings so easy to shoot down.
Flying across Belarus most of the way can also be a way to avoid being shot down, Russia has stuff based there but the Belarus Army is not very well equipped.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Computer viking posted:

I'd like to launch a conspiracy theory that they had help from Finland or Estonia, but I don't think they would take that gamble.

Yeah that would be awesome. Payback for the GPS fuckery.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

They've sent them against Moscow and other distant targets in the past, There's a special forces group that seems to have free access to pretty much wherever they want.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Subjunctive posted:

Burns
May 10, 2008

Apparently Puts is now claiming lebensraum on Alaska.

Lmao.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Burns posted:

Apparently Puts is now claiming lebensraum on Alaska.

Lmao.

He's hit the grandeur delulus again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Next thing they want Fort Ross back.