Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I'm looking at those Capellan mechs again from TRO 3060 and TRO 3067 and Lao Hu is obvious enough as it means "tiger" but Men Shen is just... "door god", like a spirit that protects the family home or a temple entrance. There are a handful of gods that qualify as door gods, but it's more a role than a specific deity. Kind of an odd name for a mech, but sure why not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Atlas Hugged posted:

I'm looking at those Capellan mechs again from TRO 3060 and TRO 3067 and Lao Hu is obvious enough as it means "tiger" but Men Shen is just... "door god", like a spirit that protects the family home or a temple entrance. There are a handful of gods that qualify as door gods, but it's more a role than a specific deity. Kind of an odd name for a mech, but sure why not.

Nobody would blink if you called a mech "Gatekeeper" so

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

NinjaDebugger posted:

Nobody would blink if you called a mech "Gatekeeper" so

Yeah but they would if you called it "security guard" or "doorman".

I showed my wife the Lao Hu and told her the name and she was like, "Oh, OK." Then I showed her the Men Shen and told her the name and she rolled her eyes and scoffed at it before walking away. I think it's also because it's such a mismatch of what a typical Men Shen looks like, a buff rear end Chinese noble or general in resplendent armor with a big loving weapon, not a bird. The Ti Ts'ang has the right idea.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Atlas Hugged posted:

Yeah but they would if you called it "security guard" or "doorman".

I showed my wife the Lao Hu and told her the name and she was like, "Oh, OK." Then I showed her the Men Shen and told her the name and she rolled her eyes and scoffed at it before walking away. I think it's also because it's such a mismatch of what a typical Men Shen looks like, a buff rear end Chinese noble or general in resplendent armor with a big loving weapon, not a bird. The Ti Ts'ang has the right idea.

There's the Watchman, the Sentry, the Guardian, the Peacekeeper...

Not every 'Mech can be named Slagmaiden.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Men Shen absolutely should have hat the Chinese name for some corvid species. I don't think Men Shen itself is too bad of a name given how the game has Sentry, Sentinel, Watchman, Guardian, Guard, and Defender in it - unless "Men Shen" by itself doesn't actually have connotations like that.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Technowolf posted:

There's the Watchman, the Sentry, the Guardian, the Peacekeeper...

Not every 'Mech can be named Slagmaiden.

Look, I'm just saying there are words in English that we think would be kind of dumb names for a killer fighting machine and "security guard" and "doorman" are absolutely words like that. Other languages also have words that sound kind of stupid to be the names of killer fighting machines. A native speaker of Mandarin who grew up in that religious tradition thought "Men Shen" was a stupid name for a bird mech. She had no issue with Ti Ts'ang and likely wouldn't have reacted at all if one of the 60 or so various Men Shen were chosen as the name. She may not even have cared if there was a visual element of the Men Shen that at all evoked a traditional door god aesthetic, but again it's a bird mech, not a humanoid in the Hatchetman tradition.

I thought it was funny is all, and I'm hardly asking CGL to "do something about it".

BattleMaster posted:

Men Shen absolutely should have hat the Chinese name for some corvid species. I don't think Men Shen itself is too bad of a name given how the game has Sentry, Sentinel, Watchman, Guardian, Guard, and Defender in it - unless "Men Shen" by itself doesn't actually have connotations like that.

It absolutely has the connotations of a defender of evil against a building, but there aren't really any generic Men Shen. They're almost always a specific, named entity in the class of door god. So it could just be the incongruity, like if a mech was named "The Trinity" but it looked like a frog.

Atlas Hugged fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jan 22, 2024

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Next year's releases announced:

https://bg.battletech.com/books/upcoming-releases/

Looks like later in the year they're starting to lean into model love for those of you who play in the future with the Jihad and Ilkhan eras.

BattleMaster posted:

I've seen enough horror stories that I absolutely will never order anything, especially physical products, directly from them. Apparently the latest thing is that their one singular CSR has been sick for the last few months and they didn't fill in for them, and even during the best of times it seemed unlikely for them to respond.

Maybe I'm just lucky but I keep dropping those 20 dollar vouchers to get force packs or a trio of blind boxes for next to nothing and never had a problem. From what I gather it's night and day if you're US vs elsewhere though.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
The FRR faux Swedish is mostly dumb so I can totally see the faux Chinese be the same to be honest.

"Kungsarmé" is as google translate as you get.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

A lot of the FASA-era stuff was just from people grabbing a dictionary and mashing words together with no idea of the grammar of the language and connotations of the words chosen. But a bit more understandable given how hard it must have been to find expertise.

Nowadays I figure they have no excuse, but it keeps happening all the same. I kind of wish they'd go back and fix a few of the really dumb mistakes like Hatamoto-Mizo.

Similarly I've read a few recent history books about the Pacific War and it's always a coin flip if the author gets the names of Japanese ships right, or if they even use the same incorrect spelling for the same ship consistently. Like Hatamoto-Mizo it's like they pick vowels out of a hat instead of using the accepted correct romanization for some reason, I guess because crazy moon language who cares they lost the war or whatever.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

lilljonas posted:

The FRR faux Swedish is mostly dumb so I can totally see the faux Chinese be the same to be honest.

"Kungsarmé" is as google translate as you get.

I can always handwave it as a thousand years into our future they're just picking names that sound cool.

McCarron’s Armored Cavalry Assault Lance sounds right up my alley. I've been meaning to get a new Awesome and this might be the best way to do so.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
EMPEROR ARGUS HELIOS

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I'm irritated by the pre-painted 'Mechs. When that thought was floated before I was hoping it was a mistranslation, or something they'd do for like--legendary Mechwarriors.

If I've learned anything from D&D minis, it's that industrial primers and paint applications are way too thick but also a complete pain in the rear end to remove. So we either have to deal with the frustration of the factory paintjob being significantly better than our work, significantly worse than our work, or we have to pray that the paint is something that is easily stripped (it won't be) so that we can paint over it. We have no idea if they're going to be painted with oils, enamels, lacquers, or acrylics or if there even a solvent we can use that will strip it and give us bare plastic without damaging the plastic in the process.

I'm thrilled to see the Savage Wolf, and so utterly disappointed to find out that it's pre-painted.

Congratulations, CLG. You did the one thing that will make me not buy these packs.

Edit: Hell, if CLG wanted to do pre-painted starter boxes with entire lances painted for a faction? I'd be all for that! Lower the barrier for entry! That's a fantastic idea and something they should be doing with re-releases of old sculpts in different combos. Like a pre-painted Kuritan Panther, Phoenix Hawk, Dragon, and Atlas starter box? Absolutely, go for it!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jan 22, 2024

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Atlas Hugged posted:

McCarron’s Armored Cavalry Assault Lance sounds right up my alley. I've been meaning to get a new Awesome and this might be the best way to do so.
Be careful what you wish for on the Awesome, it says it's a new (as in not yet plastic'd) variant(s).

Best case scenario, it's a four-gun AWS-9Q. Monkey paw scenario, it's the other weird unfocused variants with missiles and anemic ballistics.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
In any case, here's my Men Shen and Lao Hu.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Have you considered that the Men Shen gets a dumb name because, well, look at it? :v:

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Owlbear Camus posted:

Next year's releases announced:

https://bg.battletech.com/books/upcoming-releases/

Looks like later in the year they're starting to lean into model love for those of you who play in the future with the Jihad and Ilkhan eras.

Maybe I'm just lucky but I keep dropping those 20 dollar vouchers to get force packs or a trio of blind boxes for next to nothing and never had a problem. From what I gather it's night and day if you're US vs elsewhere though.

For those of us at work can anyone post the list of all the force packs being released? Sounds like there's some new ones.

I'm iffy on pre-painted 'mechs. I loved clix back in the day and it made it much easier to get in the hobby. But if it's just one-off 'mechs that's harder to justify. Then again, when you get a custom Daishi load-out like Prometheus, I have a hard time justifying painting it as anything but Victor's ride. Meanwhile the Savage Wolf and Orion are common enough I'd like to paint them as something else.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
MechCommander 2 lookin chicken leg tiger

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

For those of us at work can anyone post the list of all the force packs being released? Sounds like there's some new ones.

I'm iffy on pre-painted 'mechs. I loved clix back in the day and it made it much easier to get in the hobby. But if it's just one-off 'mechs that's harder to justify. Then again, when you get a custom Daishi load-out like Prometheus, I have a hard time justifying painting it as anything but Victor's ride. Meanwhile the Savage Wolf and Orion are common enough I'd like to paint them as something else.

Star League Command Lance: Atlas II, Thunder Hawk, Phoenix Hawk Special, pre-painted Orion (for some reason Contents didn't mention prepaint) -- Q1 Release
2nd Star League Assault Lance: Emperor, Argus and Helios, pre-painted Daishi Prometheus, Coolant Truck -- Q2 Release
Wolf Star League Striker Star: Jackalope, Kintaro, Hammerhead, Havoc, pre-painted Lament -- Q3 Release
Wolf Star League Battle Star: Wendigo, Excalibur, Peacekeeper, Malice, pre-painted Savage Wolf -- Q4 Release
McCarron’s Armored Cavalry Assault Lance: Tian-Zong, re-posed Black Knight, "new variants" of the Awesome, jumping Starslayer -- Q3 Release

Don't say I never did anything for ya

Other products:
40 anni Beginner Box (Griffin) and Game of Armored Combat (Awesome) -- March/April
Legendary BattleMats: Misery & Thunder Rift / Twycross -- Q2
New Big loving Mat: City/Lunar -- Q2
Force Manual Davion -- May
Force Manual Kurita -- Q3
Universe Book -- "Mid" year
Print compilation of Recognition Guide Vol. 2: ilClan -- Summer
The next 3152 book, For ilKhan's Eyes Only -- November
BattleMech Technical Blueprints Volume 1 -- Q3
Brush Wars series returns
More stuff making it to print-on-demand

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jan 22, 2024

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Imperio Militar del Escorpión :ese: :black101:

Goliath Scorpion to me are Raiden in that one scene in Metal Gear Rising.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

1st Star League Lance
- Atlas II
- Thunder Hawk
- a new variant of the Phoenix Hawk
- reposed and pre-painted Orion

2nd Star League Lance
- Emperor
- Argus
- Helios
- Dashi (Prometheus), reposed and pre-painted
- bonus Coolant Truck

3rd Star League Striker Star
- Jackalope
- Kintaro
- Hammerhead
- Havoc
- pre-painted Lament
- bonus J-27 Ordinance Truck

3rd Star League Battle Star
- Wendigo
- Excalibur
- Peacekeeper
- Malice
- pre-painted Savage Wolf
- bonus Savior Repair Vehicle

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Star League Command Lance: Atlas II, Thunder Hawk, Phoenix Hawk Special, pre-painted Orion (for some reason Contents didn't mention prepaint)
Wolf Star League Striker Star: Jackalope, Kintaro, Hammerhead, Havoc, pre-painted Lament
Wolf Star League Battle Star: Wendigo, Excalibur, Peacekeeper, Malice, pre-painted Savage Wolf
2nd Star League Assault Lance: Emperor, Argus and Helios, pre-painted Daishi Prometheus, Coolant Truck
McCarron’s Armored Cavalry Assault Lance: Tian-Zong, re-posed Black Knight, "new variants" of the Awesome, jumping Starslayer

Don't say I never did anything for ya

Other products:
Legendary BattleMats: Misery & Thunder Rift / Twycross
New Big loving Mat: City/Lunar
Force Manual Davion
Force Manual Kurita

Appreciate it.

The Lament is pre-painted? Dang, that's the one I was most excited for in that box, was really hoping it would be the Hammerhead or Kintaro instead. Oh well, my painting skills are eh enough that a strip and repaint won't make it look much worse.

I'm interested in that re-posed Black Knight, wonder if it will be the Sword and Shield variety from Dark Age.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I am of much the same opinion as PTN with regard to the pre-paints, but I'm in the happy position of not being pushed about thise designs anyway.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I hate that almost every lance pack always seems to have only 1 'Mech I actually want in them that I want to cherry-pick out by themselves--this kind of strategy probably keeps a lot of eBay scalpers in business.

Anyways, to reiterate:

EMPEROR ARGUS HELIOS

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
So the McCarron's Armored Assault box reveal pretty much confirms the Big Mac is leaving House Liao and going Merc again. i assume the 2nd regiment will stay loyal to Danai while all the others go to the Draconis Combine.

CGL posted:

AVAILABLE FOR HIRE!
One of the largest and most successful mercenary commands of the late Third and Fourth Succession War Eras, the “Big MAC” shocked the Inner Sphere in 3060 when they fully merged with House Liao’s military. Now, as a new era dawns, this storied command once more seeks the mercenary life.

Unleash the McCarron’s Armored Cavalry Assault Lance! Included is the new Tian-Zong, a re-posed Black Knight, and new variants of the Awesome and jumping Starslayer—no assembly required—along with four MechWarrior pilot cards and four Alpha Strike cards. Perfect for BattleTech and Alpha Strike action!

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

The Lament is pre-painted? Dang, that's the one I was most excited for in that box, was really hoping it would be the Hammerhead or Kintaro instead. Oh well, my painting skills are eh enough that a strip and repaint won't make it look much worse.

drat right there with you. At the very least being a new SLDF pack I'm hoping that the pre paint is just a generic olive drab green Lament

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Arquinsiel posted:

I am of much the same opinion as PTN with regard to the pre-paints, but I'm in the happy position of not being pushed about thise designs anyway.

I sent Catalyst a general feedback about it. I doubt it'll go anywhere, but even if they're dead set on prepaints I'd appreciate it if they did a variant of those sets that was completely unpainted, even if I had to order it directly from the Catalyst webstore to get it.

As a newbie-friendly force pack; or a BV balanced Force vs. Force box (like Kurita vs. Davion; or CCAF vs. Wolf Empire) prepaints are great! They make it easy to onboard new people.

A single one-off prepaint in a regular release is just awful. I'm going to try not to beat a dead horse, but I really hope they reconsider.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 22, 2024

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

PoptartsNinja posted:

I sent Catalyst a general feedback about it. I doubt it'll go anywhere, but even if they're dead set on prepaints I'd appreciate it if they did a variant of those sets that was completely unpainted, even if I had to order it directly from the Catalyst webstore to get it.

I would be shocked, SHOCKED if the Savage Wolf doesn't get a resculpt/repose/variant in the near future, probably in the faction packs.

My guess is the Clan Wolf faction pack.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

PoptartsNinja posted:

As a newbie-friendly force pack; or a BV balanced Force vs. Force box (like Kurita vs. Davion; or CCAF vs. Wolf Empire) prepaints are great! They make it easy to onboard new people.

A single one-off prepaint in a regular release is just awful. I'm going to try not to beat a dead horse, but I really hope they reconsider.
I think a box of prepaints would be somewhat viable as a nice starter pack/display thing, but at this point I'm pretty sure the product is way too close to release to turn back now.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Oh, I know, if they're announcing it it's already fait accompli.

I'm just hoping they reconsider in the future. Just because their factory can paint something for me doesn't mean I want a factory paintjob. Or maybe they'll do a re-release that's unpainted.

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull
Not only unpainted, but I would absolutely love if they just sold the sets on sprues for me to put together. BattleTech is my favorite miniature game, but my favorite part about miniatures is assembling and painting them.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Yeah, likewise. At this point I've painted an entire medium- to large-sized galaxy of Clan 'mechs and if I get any more Inner Sphere 'Mechs finished I'll need to start a second regiment.

Prepainting one 'Mech in a pack is a weird move that's just going to irritate everyone. It'll either irritate new players because they'll want everything pre-painted (or frustrate them and discourage them from painting because the factory paintjob will be "better than what I can do"); or it'll irritate long time players and hobby enjoyers who just wanted another fun 'Mech to paint.

I'll let you know how well 99% IPA does at stripping the factory paintjob; but if they used lacquers or enamels we might need plastic-eating acetone to get that poo poo off. :(

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 22, 2024

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Biostrip 20 might take it off then still, but you'd want to make sure to remove them from the base first.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
It's very strange to release a box with both unpainted and painted minis. Like, who is the intended audience?

People who don't want to paint their minis are not helped by getting one painted mini and five unpainted ones. Those people would probably prefer a box with only painted minis.

People who want to paint their minis are not helped by a single painted mini in their box, a paint job that will most likely not look like their other mechs in neither style or paint scheme.

Who is the imagined customer who is asking for this?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
People who want a particular character's mech in the right scheme for it but that don't think they could do better. I don't think it's a coincidence that we're getting Alexandr Kerensky's Orion, Victor Steiner-Davion's Daishi, and Alaric Ward's Mad Cat Mk IV painted.

If the quality of paint is anything like the first Leviathans run, its acrylic and will strip fairly easily, assuming it's even thick enough you even need to strip it at all in favor of just painting over it.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I wouldn't bat an eyelash at a box of pre-painted "Heroes of the Star League" with Kerensky's Orion, Prometheus, Alarac Ward's Savage Wolf (Ok, not really, gently caress Alaric Ward), and one or two other things. A whole box of pre-painted hero 'Mechs would be cool for new players.

But I want to paint a Savage Wolf. I want to paint a Lament. And my experience with factory anything is that even the best stuff is inconsistent, and any preview images are going to be the best of the best off the line. Maybe they'll all be amazing and change my impression of factory-painted anything! Best case scenario the paint is thin enough that I can paint over them; but until I have something in hand I can't judge.

I just have to assume we're going to get a paintjob somewhere between prepainted WizKids and prepainted Melty Goblins because I haven't seen anything better on a factory-painted miniature. :shrug:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jan 22, 2024

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

MechCommander 2 lookin chicken leg tiger

I just paint 'em; I don't design 'em.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

I would be shocked, SHOCKED if the Savage Wolf doesn't get a resculpt/repose/variant in the near future, probably in the faction packs.

My guess is the Clan Wolf faction pack.
You mean different from RecGuide 33? never mind, wrong wolfbot

welcome 2 Clown Town posted:

Not only unpainted, but I would absolutely love if they just sold the sets on sprues for me to put together. BattleTech is my favorite miniature game, but my favorite part about miniatures is assembling and painting them.
If you haven't already, check out Iron Wind Metals' new sections for Recognition Guide 'Mechs (/Vehicles?) and newer other releases with the same art process. They're all on poseable parts sprues and a lot of them come with optional variant pieces, if you can deal with the slight part modding that's needed to get more flexibility out of some limbs.

Atlas Hugged posted:

I just paint 'em; I don't design 'em.
Honestly I could go for either way on any anticipated new art process Lao Hu - both leg styles were never hugely impressive, it's always been the massive gun-torso and goofy laser purse that's been the draw for me

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 23, 2024

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I was looking at variants of the Men Shen and now I had a question:

Why is the LB-2X?

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
making aerospace fighters lawn-dart I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

It's the only thing they're good at other than perforating humans and unarmored vehicles.

But hey, it's an Omni, you can use the good configs, like the A and F.