Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

TACD posted:

It’s only technologically impossible for Tesco to deliver swift refunds because it’s never been made financially impossible for them not to

The triple negative in this post is really loving me up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pistol_Pete posted:

Report back to the thread on your Blackpool experience (if you survive the storm).

I probably won't see much of it given the driving time and job but yeah, first time going there.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Politics_co_uk/status/1749354885177332189

Yay! :toot:

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Soon, hug a hoodie?

Also what's blackpool like these days? Can you still get good chips there?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Pig society.

stev posted:

They should at least throw in some compo to anyone who was put in a difficult position because of their error
Yeah I can understand why people aren't being exactly calm and rational about the prospect of having no food nor money for the week before payday.

This is the kind of thing that historically has mayors being run over with wheels of cheese, and if they don't have a fallback mechanism for it then they should be considering why.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Starmer to update big society to GIG SOCIETY for the app based economy.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Welcome to Big Society World, Winston

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Mebh posted:

Soon, hug a hoodie?

Also what's blackpool like these days? Can you still get good chips there?

I briefly visited Blackpool in 2007 and it was pretty horrible then. Perhaps it's improved in the 17 years since?

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Crush all little societies. Only one big society shall remain!

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

It’s probably true that Tesco can’t immediately send money back to people, people are saying bank transfers are immediate but Tesco don’t have your bank details, they have your credit/debit card and card transactions take much longer.

They do have the ability to credit your account or comp a delivery or issue vouchers to cover a new delivery in the interim and they appear to have done none of those things.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Administrative delays are just the small price you pay for big society

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
this would never happen with ocado

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

The strangest part is right at the end of that article:

"He will add: “They got themselves so tangled up in culture wars of their own making, that instead of working with the Royal National Lifeboat Institution – an organisation the late queen was patron of for 70 years – to find real solutions to stop the small boats, their rhetoric has helped demonise them."

Aside from the Smol Boats stuff and the invocation of Her Maj Gawd Bless Her...what real solutions to stop the small boats could the RNLI have?

The RNLI literally has one purpose - Saving Lives At Sea. They're not a coast guard or a marine traffic agency. They have no power or ability to stop anything or anyone on the sea going anywhere or doing anything. They exist only to save the lives of people in distress at sea, regardless of who those people are or how they got into that situation.

What on earth does Starmer think the RNLI could do to Stop The Boats if the government worked with them?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Julio Cruz posted:

then that's on him for not booking earlier, don't go blaming Tesco for having to get up early

Yes, we can all predict what we need a week in advance.

I would absolutely blame them if I go out of my way to be available for one of their early slots and they just...don't show up. That's their fault. What the hell, do you have stock in Tesco or something?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

BalloonFish posted:

The strangest part is right at the end of that article:

"He will add: “They got themselves so tangled up in culture wars of their own making, that instead of working with the Royal National Lifeboat Institution – an organisation the late queen was patron of for 70 years – to find real solutions to stop the small boats, their rhetoric has helped demonise them."

Aside from the Smol Boats stuff and the invocation of Her Maj Gawd Bless Her...what real solutions to stop the small boats could the RNLI have?

The RNLI literally has one purpose - Saving Lives At Sea. They're not a coast guard or a marine traffic agency. They have no power or ability to stop anything or anyone on the sea going anywhere or doing anything. They exist only to save the lives of people in distress at sea, regardless of who those people are or how they got into that situation.

What on earth does Starmer think the RNLI could do to Stop The Boats if the government worked with them?

issue International Anti-Social Behaviour Orders to the people on the small boats :nono:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

BalloonFish posted:

Optimistically it's a call for opening safe routes while trying to distract the racists by dressing up as Major-General Stanley and belting out Eternal Starmer Stong to Save in a comic baritone.

Pessimistically it's that he thinks that is both necessary as a tactic and will work.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Fit canons to the lifeboats.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Microplastics posted:

The triple negative in this post is really loving me up
Tesco should get big honkin’ fines for holding onto people’s money and then they would find a way to issue prompt refunds :colbert:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Dead Goon posted:

What, like, clerics? Can they cast whatever level spell it is to calm storms?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
No, contrapuntal musical compositions to accompany refugees to the nearest safe harbour.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Free childcare: Sunak’s pledge undermined by funding fiasco

quote:

Rishi Sunak’s flagship childcare pledge is in jeopardy due to delays in allocating funding, staff shortages and issues with the IT system behind the scheme.

Thousands of parents have been warned they will be unable to access the government’s flagship free-childcare offer this year because of issues with the rollout.

Ministers have pledged that all two-year-olds will be eligible for 15 free hours of childcare a week from April while nine-month-olds will be eligible for the scheme in September.

But senior Whitehall sources said lights were “flashing red all over the board” over the £4 billion plan as nurseries warned that they will not be able to start the scheme in time.

:toot:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
def don't want that much mumsnet rage in an election year, like

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

If it was someone else I might be willing to entertain the idea that he's knowingly talking shite in order to calm the gammons and make it sound like he'll Sort Things Out.

As it's Keith I assume his thinking is "The RNLI has boats, the government has M2 machine guns, this solves itself".

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I'm more of the mindset Keef thinks the RNLI is exactly like the US coast guard, because he is truly an idiot.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Let's make every single public sector worker an immigration cop who does their actual job on the side.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

Dead Goon posted:

there's enough jetsam and flotsam out there, we don't need printer.... jsam? gently caress off gently caress you i give up

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I mean if you read the article and had any interest other than yelling about how everyone else is in an idiot, you would probably see he was saying there was a better way for a government to deal with a vital and historically well loved service like the rnli rather than picking fights with it over rescuing migrants and their use of funding. And in so doing that the rnli could play a part in ending the "small boats crisis" rather than claiming they are exacerbating it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I hear you're an idiot now father!
Should we all be idiots now? What's the Church's position? I'm so busy down on the farm I won't have much time for the ol' idiocy.

(sorry it was bad)

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/LukeTryl/status/1749141132628435396

I suppose anyone being compared to Rishi would come out looking good

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
What do the progressive pragmatists think? The backbone battlers? The tea time heroes?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Wachter posted:

Let's make every single public sector worker an immigration cop who does their actual job on the side.

i mean it's not that much of a stretch from wes wanting teachers to double up as dental hygienists is it

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
hey let's have traffic wardens check the prostates of men >40 if they happen to get a ticket

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
*royal charles carriage parking on double yellow lines on purpose*

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

fuctifino posted:

https://twitter.com/LukeTryl/status/1749141132628435396

I suppose anyone being compared to Rishi would come out looking good

*Rishi working late again on his spreadsheets, rather irritated and resentful that his boss (the electorate) just doesn't seem to be noticing all the hard work that he's putting in.*

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
What the gently caress is a disengaged battler

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They're more progressive than the disengaged traditionalists but less engaged than the establishment liberals I guess :wom:

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I mean if you read the article and had any interest other than yelling about how everyone else is in an idiot, you would probably see he was saying there was a better way for a government to deal with a vital and historically well loved service like the rnli rather than picking fights with it over rescuing migrants and their use of funding. And in so doing that the rnli could play a part in ending the "small boats crisis" rather than claiming they are exacerbating it.

I did read the article. I quoted from it.

I stand by my interpretation that it's, at least, very strange for Starmer to think that the RNLI has some organisational solution to the Small Boats up its oilskin sleeve if only the government was willing to listen to them.

As Guavanaut said, the only possible solution the RNLI could have, given its resources, remit, abilities and legal status (remember it's a civilian charity, not even an emergency service), is monitoring safe crossing routes. Which certainly is a solution but I would bet money on it not being one Starmer is remotely interested in implementing or publicly voicing.

So what else does Starmer think a Labour government and the RNLI could work towards? It makes no sense. It would be like suggesting the Royal British Legion could sort out the war in Ukraine if only the government would work with them.

The RNLI absolutely should not be made a target or scapegoat for just saving people from drowning (same as when the RN got called in and then had some of its people spat on because the good people of Kent were upset that the navy was also just fulfilling its obligations to rescue people rather than turning the machine guns on them). But Starmer didn't say that. He said the RNLI could help with solutions and I an at a loss as to what those are that would fulfill the political need to Stop The Boats.

It's either empty posturing, stringing together words and phrases into the perfecr triangulated statement (Work Together/The Queen/Real Solutions/RNLI/Stop The Boats/Get On With It) or he has a solution in mind that's stupid - probably involving installing ChatGPT on lifeboats.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

There's a Crab museum in Margate, and their social media game is on point.

https://www.crabmuseum.org/

Post of theirs from the 5th of December

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

crispix posted:

def don't want that much mumsnet rage in an election year, like

yes but my good friend Goody XX Real Women Bleed Suffragette Heart Emojis tells me keir starmer has a secret basement where he transes his children, so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
:aaa::aaa::aaa: pure fumin babez!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: xxx