Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
yeah anything in Photos is silo'd away like that no matter what, for very Google reasons I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
google photos is great until you want to get your photos out of it.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

other people posted:

I mostly do that on my computer, but have never had a problem with it. :shrug:

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
They've already started to poo poo up Photos with that Memories garbage, which as far as I can tell is 'look, here are some pictures you took on the same day in roughly the same place, bundled together in your photo stream'.

I already put them into albums! You're bad at whatever it is you're doing, and I don't need this poo poo cluttering everything up! gently caress off and stop making everything worse!

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I've never had an issue getting photos back out, even our 18gb wedding album generates a download link in a reasonable amount of time. There's always takeout too if you want everything.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

other people posted:

Huh?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Skill issue

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Maybe it is better now (lol) but in the past a google photos export did not get you the original image files. A lot of the metadata (EXIF stuff) is "provided" in a separate json file. So if you want normal image files again you have to stitch poo poo back together.

https://medium.com/@ty2/the-painful-experience-of-leaving-google-photos-914d9c63d4b2

Thankfully there are endless scripts on github to help with this process but it is pretty sad that it needs to be done at all. And there seem to be lots of edge cases that require extra fiddling either way.

:shrug: the last time I did an export was two years ago and I definitely had to spend a lot of time fixing poo poo up. I naively thought I would just get a copy of all the photo files my phone cam took lol how weird would that be.

google photos the app is still nice to use but I also have jottacloud's app backup all my fone photos since that service is more traditional cloud storage and I can just download the original jpeg files or whatever later on once I've deleted them from the phone.

also also there is a tiny tiny chance some photo you take is flagged as some illegal poo poo and google just shuts down your account and you have no recourse lol.

A Dad Took Photos of His Naked Toddler for the Doctor. Google Flagged Him as a Criminal. https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/21/technology/google-surveillance-toddler-photo.html

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I like the memories because I like seeing photos I took of my dog who passed

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

spincube posted:

They've already started to poo poo up Photos with that Memories garbage, which as far as I can tell is 'look, here are some pictures you took on the same day in roughly the same place, bundled together in your photo stream'.

I already put them into albums! You're bad at whatever it is you're doing, and I don't need this poo poo cluttering everything up! gently caress off and stop making everything worse!

Memories owns but I guess you could wake up every day, then go back through all your albums by hand and then look at photos from this day too.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

XIII posted:

I like the memories because I like seeing photos I took of my dog who passed

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I took a trip to Brazil over a year ago, and have two albums for it. Memories tried to show me "Trip to Brazil and Venezuela" - I flew over Venezuela, and took a couple of pictures from above, but never landed there.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

withoutclass posted:

Memories owns but I guess you could wake up every day, then go back through all your albums by hand and then look at photos from this day too.

I'm struggling to phrase this in a way that doesn't come off as petty, or :cloud:, but I've absolutely no interest at all in looking at auto-generated slideshows; because I'd prefer to interact with pictures I've taken, that I find meaningful, by myself. Meanwhile, the app is now generating and stuffing those FEATURED <day> / BEST OF <month> / TRIP TO <place i took a picture of a road sign for some reason, a few weeks ago> tiles in amongst the stream of photos I've taken anyway.

So I went on a trip before Christmas, enjoyed myself, and afterwards I put the photos I liked into an album, which I then shared to a few people: but, here's the app insisting that I look at its auto-generated TRIP TO <place> and <inaccurate place> slideshows, inserting a tile alongside my photos to make sure, doing a bad job of duplicating what I'd already done and without giving me a 'no, I don't want that, stop doing that' option.

A few threads ago I mentioned that Photos was probably the best Google-made app, in terms of how it uses the data that I voluntarily put into it: I'm even paying them to store more of my data, and the integration of a 'click here if you want to purchase a physical, tangible example of what you're looking at' option makes sense. With what I'm describing, though, it's like there's absolutely no escape from Google breaking the fourth wall and suggesting how I should be organising and looking at my own drat photos, and I resent the app for doing that.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

spincube posted:

I'm struggling to phrase this in a way that doesn't come off as petty, or :cloud:, but I've absolutely no interest at all in looking at auto-generated slideshows; because I'd prefer to interact with pictures I've taken, that I find meaningful, by myself. Meanwhile, the app is now generating and stuffing those FEATURED <day> / BEST OF <month> / TRIP TO <place i took a picture of a road sign for some reason, a few weeks ago> tiles in amongst the stream of photos I've taken anyway.

So I went on a trip before Christmas, enjoyed myself, and afterwards I put the photos I liked into an album, which I then shared to a few people: but, here's the app insisting that I look at its auto-generated TRIP TO <place> and <inaccurate place> slideshows, inserting a tile alongside my photos to make sure, doing a bad job of duplicating what I'd already done and without giving me a 'no, I don't want that, stop doing that' option.

A few threads ago I mentioned that Photos was probably the best Google-made app, in terms of how it uses the data that I voluntarily put into it: I'm even paying them to store more of my data, and the integration of a 'click here if you want to purchase a physical, tangible example of what you're looking at' option makes sense. With what I'm describing, though, it's like there's absolutely no escape from Google breaking the fourth wall and suggesting how I should be organising and looking at my own drat photos, and I resent the app for doing that.

Fair enough! I haven't seen what you're experiencing with these being inserted in the list of photos, only a small carousel at the top of the photos tab which isn't too intrusive to me

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I'd probs just turn them off then 🤷

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Skarsnik posted:

I'd probs just turn them off then 🤷

Per the text in your screenshot, it only turns off the tiles from being displayed at the very top of the Photos view: it still generates and stuffs the same tiles in amongst your photos anyway. Crudely edited for privacy:

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

What's the new thread title about?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

There was a silly argument that created a ton of replies.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

spincube posted:

Per the text in your screenshot, it only turns off the tiles from being displayed at the very top of the Photos view: it still generates and stuffs the same tiles in amongst your photos anyway. Crudely edited for privacy:

I'd not even noticed them in the main photo feed till you pointed them out

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Ah man Gizmodo likes the S24 U :ohdear:

The screen sounds nice. I do kinda hate the rounded glass on the 22U.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm too traumatized by Samsung's terrible software/apps/UX to ever use a Samsung phone again, as nice as the S24U looks.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Samsung's UX and software is great, zero problems with it and I love the amount of customisation!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Alan_Shore posted:

Samsung's UX and software is great, zero problems with it and I love the amount of customisation!

This sounds like a cry for help.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

the duality of man

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

CaptainSarcastic posted:

This sounds like a cry for help.

You'll notice the amount of pixel problems itt compared to Samsung problems. The choice is obvious my friend (get whatever phone you want, who cares lol)

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

this is android, your only choices are good hardware with okay software, okay hardware with good software, or no updates ever

pick your poison

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
Where does a $20 burner from the convenient mart land on the spectrum?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

no updates ever and probably on android 8 or something

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's funny, I was so set to take my S23U on my trip to the corporate office this week, but after switching to it on Sat, I had enough of it by the end of the weekend and switched back to the Pixel Fold Sunday night.

A big chunk of that is the trash ultrasonic fingerprint sensor.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
One ui has been fantastic for a while now. Too bad you can't like try before you buy a phone for a month to see if you really like it

Lol, lest we start the fingerprint debate again but I guess it's relative. I had an s21 ultra for 2 years and now the s23 for a year and I had a few misreads a year in the 21 and never have any issues on the 23.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I also don't really have many problems with OneUI lately. I used to always run a launcher but I don't really have a need to anymore.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

i'm a pixel warrior until the day i die*

* which will happen when an actually better phone comes out

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

As a Google phone guy since the Nexus 6 I really like OneUi. I have no clue if it was rough earlier but there's some seriously cool stuff there. I've even found myself using the Samsung apps for things like phone and calendar.

Camera app sucks though I think that's the real weakness of the phone.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i know it works for some people but the pixel in-display reader is still the only one i see complaints about with any regularity, even on the pixel 8

lord knows why google can't figure this out when they're using the same sensor OEMs as everyone else

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I notice zero difference between it and OnePlus or Samsung tabs (which use optical).

I don't actually think it's any worse than any other optical sensor. It's all just reddit echo chamber.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Alan_Shore posted:

Post twice if you’re being held in a chaebol torture dungeon and posting under duress.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Lol we've had multiple people praise Samsung's UI on this page but sure, pixel supremacy*

In terms of fingerprint sensor, my Fold 3 and 5 have been perfect. I like having it on the power button.

*until the next person posts about a highly unusual pixel bug in a page or two

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Being honest, OneUI 5 (I think? Whatever was on the A54) really wasn’t too bad.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I've heard of android v ios tribalism, but :lol: of course even within the android platform there's also stupid tribalism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

For every over the top customization, there's rigidity in weird places. It's like they are taunting you.

You can get a vertical scrolling app drawer with GoodLock, but only if you accept two permanent fixed rows of quick access icons. How does that even make sense? If I'm scrolling down the list, CLEARLY what I'm looking for isn't in those two rows so why not just have them scroll away?

They STILL do not let you tie DnD to the calendar. That's such an unfathomably useful feature, but it's not there unless you want to dive into Bixby actions.

Baked in McAfee can gently caress right off.

It's not so much that it's outright bad, but it's overwhelming without being enough.

Also, call screening is the best feature ever invented and it's hard to have a phone without it.