Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Lord_Magmar posted:

Honestly I never really got why EDH didn't just make it so that Planeswalkers can be commanders by defaultand ban out any that turn into a problem because of it.

Sheldon Menery hated thinking about anything but his personal playgroup's bespoke style, and taking any action that might curate his format beyond "Uhm, just house rule it?"

The only reason why Timetwister wasn't banned, while the other Power 9 were, is that he owned one.

Basically, he would have killed if he were on White Wolf's development team in the 90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ShutteredIn posted:

Forensic team toolsmith

2U Rare

Creature - Vedalken Artificer Detective

Whenever you cast an artifact spell, investigate.

Activated abilities of artifacts you control cost 1 less to activate.

This effect can't reduce the mana in that cost to less than one mana.

2/3

https://twitter.com/MTGArenaJP/status/1749266131855261789
Well uhhh goddamn.
A stompy compliant guy who goes nuts with petals and moxen opal and chrome? Yikes

wei
Jul 27, 2006
We had ~30 on Saturday and 16 on Sunday at RCQs on the weekend, which is about average for my city. There was a second RCQ somewhere else on Sunday.

I won on Sunday with 4C Slogurk. I'm really enjoying the format but yeah it sucks how expensive and hard to find some of the cards are.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Sheldon Menery hated thinking about anything but his personal playgroup's bespoke style, and taking any action that might curate his format beyond "Uhm, just house rule it?"

The only reason why Timetwister wasn't banned, while the other Power 9 were, is that he owned one.

Basically, he would have killed if he were on White Wolf's development team in the 90s.

Timetwister's a bit of an outlier in the Power 9 as it's nowhere near as good when it's not combined with the others. In Commander it's a blue sidegrade of Wheel of Fortune, and plenty of heavily proxied cEDH decks in blue don't run it (or run WoF over it)

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

eagerly awaiting the Pinkertons edit of this one

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

wei posted:

We had ~30 on Saturday and 16 on Sunday at RCQs on the weekend, which is about average for my city. There was a second RCQ somewhere else on Sunday.

I won on Sunday with 4C Slogurk. I'm really enjoying the format but yeah it sucks how expensive and hard to find some of the cards are.

I need a primer or a stream to watch on that deck. I think I get the basics of it - grow Slogurk and bounce your opponents stuff - but there are so many decisions and cards in that deck that I don’t understand or would screw up.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

Interplane travel is tricky but doable by anyone now, that's what the Omenpaths are for. Planeswalkers can do ir instantly and relatively safely, but Kellan for example is just fluttering through a whole bunch of Planes trying to find his lovely dad Oko, Saheeli went to Ixalan to be with Huatli after both of them lost their spark.
Oh I'm aware; that list wasn't necessarily confined to things that HAVEN'T happened.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

kung fu jive posted:

I need a primer or a stream to watch on that deck. I think I get the basics of it - grow Slogurk and bounce your opponents stuff - but there are so many decisions and cards in that deck that I don’t understand or would screw up.

There's a few videos on youtube and the deck has so many complicated lines it looks v hard to pilot. I really want to try it out but feel like I'll just time out most games lmao

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
https://x.com/MTGGoldfish/status/1749123955800047618?s=20

Oops! (Still haven't had this confirmed if this is just a translation issue)

https://x.com/yoman_5/status/1749421071734886413?s=20

This card would have been so cool if the solving wasn't gaining life but instead something else. Now the decks that were already doing well get better.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Oh boy, lots of comments noting Deadly Cover-Up doesn't exclude basic lands from the cards you can remove from their deck. Hooo boy.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Oh boy, lots of comments noting Deadly Cover-Up doesn't exclude basic lands from the cards you can remove from their deck. Hooo boy.

Has to be in the GY first though

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Good thing there aren't any cards that mill an opponent or cause them to discard in standard right now.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

In standard at least it's a bit tricky to achieve, and against the decks where it really has an impact (monocolour) they're pretty happy you've removed a bunch of dead draws for them. Probably less happy about yet another board wipe in standard but w/e.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Barring a possible mistranslation that omits the non-basic land clause, I'm struggling even then to find a case where a 5 mana wrath with Collect Evidence 6 that decides to remove all Mountains or Plains from the opponents deck is generally a good play. If you just Wrathed RDW on turn 4 or 5, do you really want to remove all their dead draws?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

AngryBooch posted:

Barring a possible mistranslation that omits the non-basic land clause, I'm struggling even then to find a case where a 5 mana wrath with Collect Evidence 6 that decides to remove all Mountains or Plains from the opponents deck is generally a good play. If you just Wrathed RDW on turn 4 or 5, do you really want to remove all their dead draws?

This is a fair statement. The more of the issue is that this would be a unique card in magic. It will also live in standard and pioneer. If its a problem now or down the line, generally being able to surgical basic lands is a big deal eventually.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 22, 2024

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Haha, do this to RDW and just accelerate the burn.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Good thing there aren't any cards that mill an opponent or cause them to discard in standard right now.

:sickos: I need this in my N'Gathrod deck, would love to have just one successful activation against a mono colored EDH deck.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Jiro posted:

:sickos: I need this in my N'Gathrod deck, would love to have just one successful activation against a mono colored deck.

Oh fuuuuuck I didn't even think about this but yessssssss

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
https://twitter.com/fireshoes/status/1749480823668052056?t=1I0tvoClvQgIdujT2zGBhg&s=19
Leyline of "gently caress you blood moon"

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

https://x.com/aspiringspike/status/1749481351999373738?s=46&t=6TcDRv5TsjsK9hYJMKVitA

I hate this card. If it’s awful, it’s super awful. If it’s good, it’s probably going to end up on a banned list.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

AngryBooch posted:

Barring a possible mistranslation that omits the non-basic land clause

I think this is the original, and there's no "non-base" or "autre qu'une carte de terrain de base" clause in it, so not a translation error.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Sickening posted:

https://x.com/aspiringspike/status/1749481351999373738?s=46&t=6TcDRv5TsjsK9hYJMKVitA

I hate this card. If it’s awful, it’s super awful. If it’s good, it’s probably going to end up on a banned list.

Yeah, this card is a really bad idea. At 4 mana it's probably a little too expensive to really mess things up too badly since it's a terrible draw later on. Clearly they should have made it be able to cycle :sickos:

Doesn't blood moon still work on this? You start with it in play, then when blood moon comes down later timestamps means those lands still become mountains and the other text doesn't matter? Timestamps and layers are always super weird, but I think that if you blood moon then your amulet opponent plays dryad a turn later they're out from under it

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Yeah, this card is a really bad idea. At 4 mana it's probably a little too expensive to really mess things up too badly since it's a terrible draw later on. Clearly they should have made it be able to cycle :sickos:

Doesn't blood moon still work on this? You start with it in play, then when blood moon comes down later timestamps means those lands still become mountains and the other text doesn't matter? Timestamps and layers are always super weird, but I think that if you blood moon then your amulet opponent plays dryad a turn later they're out from under it
Yes

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I think this is the original, and there's no "non-base" or "autre qu'une carte de terrain de base" clause in it, so not a translation error.

Without the English there's no telling

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Does becoming "every basic land type" mean your lands are basic? Rootpath purifier specifies that your lands are basic, rather than becoming a basic land type (like island or forest) so your non basics are still non basics right?

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

They remain nonbasic, just you have full domain and every land you control can tap for any color.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
https://www.ign.com/articles/magic-the-gathering-ravnica-clue-edition-spoilers-standalone-board-game

This looks neat.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
e: already asked

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ilmucche posted:

Does becoming "every basic land type" mean your lands are basic? Rootpath purifier specifies that your lands are basic, rather than becoming a basic land type (like island or forest) so your non basics are still non basics right?
No, like how a stomping ground isn't a basic land despite having basic types.
Yes, giving your lands five types in addition won't make them basic, even though the five types you gave are the five basic land types

newershadow
May 18, 2014

HootTheOwl posted:

Without the English there's no telling

From today's official Card Image Gallery update.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Well, hitting basics is new

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Not saying they'd play it, but if I Bring to Light for cover-up, I assume, since the casting is part of the spell resolution, it isn't in the graveyard yet to collect for evidence, right? (Id absolutely believe if it was too tbh)

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
trying to bigbrain a way to get an opponent to discard a basic and then ramp into that by uhhh turn 4 or something

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

ex post facho posted:

trying to bigbrain a way to get an opponent to discard a basic and then ramp into that by uhhh turn 4 or something

You would have to be playing a format where basics are heavily played , I don't know what format that is right now. But it could happen in the future!

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Yeah in most formats unless you’re up against a literal mono color deck it’s going to exile like 2 basics

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Attack with N'Gathrod and a whole bunch of other horrors, damage resolves, mill triggers, cast Deadly cover-up, hopefully you exile a basic and remove all other basics of same name, player draws like 10 or more cards that now become sort of useless. Same thing for Dragon's Approach, Shadowborn Apostle, Relentless Rats etc etc etc.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

unless you're ramping into it super early it just doesn't seem super great I guess. even if you ramp hard to cast it early you still need 6 cards in the graveyard to exile to get the effect right?

it's a very funny effect but I'm not really sure how you'd make a deck where exiling a bunch of basics after T4 or 5 does a whole lot to help you win the game outside of very specific circumstances. I guess you could pair it with armageddon or something!

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Weird Pumpkin posted:

unless you're ramping into it super early it just doesn't seem super great I guess. even if you ramp hard to cast it early you still need 6 cards in the graveyard to exile to get the effect right?

it's a very funny effect but I'm not really sure how you'd make a deck where exiling a bunch of basics after T4 or 5 does a whole lot to help you win the game outside of very specific circumstances. I guess you could pair it with armageddon or something!

Keep in mind I'm talking about EDH since that's really the only format I still play. If you consistently hit your land drops and or mana rocks, you can luck into it earliest turn 3, semi-regularly turn 4. It's the milling early enough that's the hard part to luck into a basic, or dragon's approach, shadowborn, severely slowing someone down enough or just shutting them outright that they'll scoop.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Jiro posted:

Keep in mind I'm talking about EDH since that's really the only format I still play. If you consistently hit your land drops and or mana rocks, you can luck into it earliest turn 3, semi-regularly turn 4. It's the milling early enough that's the hard part to luck into a basic, or dragon's approach, shadowborn, severely slowing someone down enough or just shutting them outright that they'll scoop.

Ah ok, you can only play one of each non basic too right? That definitely seems a lot better if you can guarantee that you're cutting your opponent out of mana that fast!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Stone Brain comes out faster and doesn't need to have a basic in the GY and it doesn't get played for that. Granted it only hits 4, but you're not likely to hit more than 4 with this card either.

It's better for limited, worse for standard.