Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Rebel Blob posted:

Joy of joys, Jeff M. Jones also has made a map of European regions:

portugal isnt eastern europe; mapmaker is full of poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

SlothfulCobra posted:

There's a lot of proud areas between Washington and Boston that would never in a million years defer their regional identity to either.
It's just a reference to the end point of a string of cities.

Rebel Blob posted:

Joy of joys, Jeff M. Jones also has made a map of European regions:

Albania is too powerful.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Groda posted:

Probably not, I never studied construction engineering in English.

I'm talking structures with wood-frame outer walls and insulation between framing.
Balloon framing has stud boards running all the way from the foundation to the roof (so if it was a 2 story house, you'd have a 2 story long board). It's not really used anywhere anymore since it needs very long straight wood. Modern wood framed construction is usually platform framing. You build each level separately out of shorter wood.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
It's honestly crazy that they don't call it Mega-City One.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I do love stupid place names in the uk

Bregretful Tooting

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i know nothing about lincolnshire. is it just full of awful old people?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I do love stupid place names in the uk

Bregretful Tooting

A challenge for anyone who hasn't heard it said: how do you pronounce Streatham?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think it's streeth-um, pronounced like teething. But there is probably a local pronunciation that is completely different.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

A chart absolutely begging to have a key. e: specifically to tell me what number they decided should be the "midpoint"

Muscle Tracer fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jan 22, 2024

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

wossit green is more bregretful innit and the kings color is what blokes who like brexit

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Just divide Europe up based on regional names for soda like they do in the U.S.

You are in one of the following regions:

- Soda
- Coke
- Pop
- Le Coke.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Just divide Europe up based on regional names for soda like they do in the U.S.

You are in one of the following regions:

- Soda
- Coke
- Pop
- Le Coke.

- Lemonade

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Are they regretful of Brexit, or of Being British? Both seem equally likely.

Muscle Tracer posted:

A chart absolutely begging to have a key. e: specifically to tell me what number they decided should be the "midpoint"

I'd guess white is 0 net Brexit support, all red is positive Brexit support, and all green negative.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Bro we all know you call it Kofola

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Phlegmish posted:

Bro we all know you call it Kofola

There are two kinds of fizzy soft drinks, colas and lemonades, and Kofola is neither, on account of being a pharmaceutical industry byproduct that just happens to be reasonably safe to consume.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

those fuckers in pink can stay out, green areas rejoin.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

those fuckers in pink can stay out, green areas rejoin.

doggerland expansion project

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

That ain't a soda.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

SlothfulCobra posted:

That ain't a soda.

It's what they call Sprite

goethe42
Jun 5, 2004

Ich sei, gewaehrt mir die Bitte, in eurem Bunde der Dritte!

steinrokkan posted:

There are two kinds of fizzy soft drinks, colas and lemonades, and Kofola is neither, on account of being a pharmaceutical industry byproduct that just happens to be reasonably safe to consume.

What's Vinea then? Ain't go no citrus in it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Lemonade, of course. I'm pretty sure it's the same in German.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

"Grossbritannien" is much better, we should adopt it for the English language. Großbritannien is for cowards.

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.
All hail the mighty Serbo-Albanian Reich.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

I coulda sworn this fucker was patient zero for boswash but i appear to have been bearenstain affected

I've seen this map before but I never noticed a circle on Cape Cod. They think there's a "metro area" of a million people there? The whole county has like a quarter of that. What city are they trying to actually circle? Now that I look at it they're circling Portland as well, and I can't find any definition of Portland that ends up with more than half a million population.

I'm beginning to think a few of those circles do not in fact represent metro areas of 1 million people!

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Eiba posted:

I've seen this map before but I never noticed a circle on Cape Cod. They think there's a "metro area" of a million people there? The whole county has like a quarter of that. What city are they trying to actually circle? Now that I look at it they're circling Portland as well, and I can't find any definition of Portland that ends up with more than half a million population.

I'm beginning to think a few of those circles do not in fact represent metro areas of 1 million people!

the small circle is 150k to 1mm

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

abelwingnut posted:

i know nothing about lincolnshire. is it just full of awful old people?

It's extremely flat and also very difficult to get to from anywhere because it has poo poo transport connections. Also part of it is called Holland and that is where Boston is.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

I think it's streeth-um, pronounced like teething. But there is probably a local pronunciation that is completely different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkMQNRYlVAQ

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Correlated by native american territories.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I guess the Dakotas really do deserve to be separate states.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

I can't find valentina around here anymore :argh:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Once when I was in my 20's but shoulda known better a coworker told me that the way you energize yourself for a double shift is, you put Texas Pete in your eyeballs. It will really wake you up, he said. Let me tell you, he wasn't lyin

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

i don't know what nanitas finest or monroe's are but if they are the chosen of colorado and new mexico then this must be respected as evidence they are the top contenders

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

Correlated by native american territories.

Between New Mexico, North Dakota California and Alaska there’s a (weak because of Texas and North Carolina) oil production correlation too

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

I can't find valentina around here anymore :argh:

They sell at at Walmart! Even the black Valentina

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
What a weird post for somebody who knows "Valentina" only as a female forename.