Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Lammasu posted:

Trump could be living in a cardboard box and he would still defame Carroll.

We may yet have an opportunity to prove this empirically.

Edit: what an awful snipe. Here's two of my cats sleeping together in a too-small bed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Lammasu posted:

Trump could be living in a cardboard box and he would still defame Carroll.

Goals are good things to have.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Trazz posted:

I distinctly remember Trump asking Russia to hack his opponents on live TV and then they did.

Hah okay you got me, I honestly forgot all about that.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Ms Adequate posted:

Hah okay you got me, I honestly forgot all about that.

Seems like most of the country did.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
There's too much. There's always more and it's always worse and it never stops.

John Yossarian
Aug 24, 2013
If the trial for March is pushed back, how long would it be delayed for? Could it possibly be postponed for after the election? I just find it exhausting that Trump can continue delaying his trials and not have any fallback from it.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

John Yossarian posted:

If the trial for March is pushed back, how long would it be delayed for? Could it possibly be postponed for after the election? I just find it exhausting that Trump can continue delaying his trials and not have any fallback from it.

The legal system was created for the rich, by the rich.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

John Yossarian posted:

We won’t know until the DC Circuit rules at the earliest, and then it will almost certainly go to the Supreme Court. There are two things of unknown length before we can begin to answer your question, so trying to make a projected timeline is ludicrous.

It sucks. Sorry.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

John Yossarian posted:

At least until after the election so he could wiggle out of it if he wins

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

BigHead posted:

Read what you quoted. I'm a well experienced trial attorney used to reading this sort of motion. The motion doesn't say "They booked a cruise," the motion says "they bought a plane ticket to Miami, and also there are two lines on his credit card with a cruise company." The motion doesn't say they vacationed in Napa Valley, it says "they bought a plane ticket to San Francisco, and separately there are two hotel rooms in Napa a month later."

That's enough for talking heads on Fox to screech that they booked a cruise together and vacationed in Napa together, but it is a far, far cry from actual proof of those things. It's just as likely the dude bought the hotel for them for a case meeting and the cruise with his sister and her kids on hotels.com on the same day. And it's just as likely that he and his girlfriend went to Napa a month after he and Willis went to meet with Twitter execs about their search warrant.

Now, mind you, I also wouldn't put it past her because I used to be a prosecutor and work with a lot of government lawyers and know how fantastically loving stupid they are capable of being.

Edit: It's like saying "Bob bought gas at a gas station, and then Bob also spent $30 at a liquor store, therefore Bob was driving drunk." Like, sure, it's within the universe of possibilities that those two correlating purchases mean Bob drove drunk, but it's much much more likely that Bob just went about his day doing normal things. Finding two correlating purchases in the entire history of someone's credit card statements and using them to draw wild conclusions would be trivially easy. I bet you could tell some wild stories looking at two random purchases on mine, or yours, or anyone's.
One of my favourite things about good lawyers is this ability to truly map out the boundaries of what people are saying and what is actually proven. Most of us spend most of our lives living in an extrapolated impression of what the world is telling us and showing us. I guess it's the complement of what's great about magic, which plays on the fact that we mostly have no idea how much we're not noticing at any given moment.

It reminds me a bit of the old joke about the engineer, the scientist and the mathematician who are traveling on a train through Scotland. Passing by a hill they see a black sheep. The engineer cries out "wow, Scottish sheep are black", the scientist says "no you dummy, some Scottish sheep are black". The mathematician tuts for a moment and says, with audible patience "in Scotland there exists at least one sheep, at least one side of which is black".

John Yossarian
Aug 24, 2013

Xiahou Dun posted:

We won’t know until the DC Circuit rules at the earliest, and then it will almost certainly go to the Supreme Court. There are two things of unknown length before we can begin to answer your question, so trying to make a projected timeline is ludicrous.

It sucks. Sorry.

I don't know if it's been answered yet, but when are they expected to make a ruling on Trump's immunity case? If it is delayed, it could be scheduled for May. Except he already has a trial set in May for the documents he stole, but Aillen Cannon will definitely find a way to delay that.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

John Yossarian posted:

I don't know if it's been answered yet, but when are they expected to make a ruling on Trump's immunity case? If it is delayed, it could be scheduled for May. Except he already has a trial set in May for the documents he stole, but Aillen Cannon will definitely find a way to delay that.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

There aren’t anymore steps for them besides actually giving the ruling, they just haven’t yet. Lots of folks were thinking last Friday, but here it is Sunday night.

It’s entirely possible that Cannon delays the trial, or deliberately squats on the May time window to make them delay it more, or even (theoretically) hold a trial.

It’s January, and a lots gonna happen over the next several months.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/greg_price11/status/1748470407672291383

No idea if the source is a chud but video seem slegit and lol

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

mobby_6kl posted:

https://twitter.com/greg_price11/status/1748470407672291383

No idea if the source is a chud but video seem slegit and lol

Who gives a poo poo

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Fair enough, doesn't matter if the source is a chud really

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010
So are the federal judges required to coordinate their trial dates? If a person had the means to commit 50 different federal crimes in 50 different jurisdictions, wouldn't they at some point possibly have to stand trial at two courts at once?

I could understand the coordination as a courtesy but if Cannon continually delays from May up to past the election does that mean that Chutkan cannot use June-October for a trial date?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

saltylopez posted:

So are the federal judges required to coordinate their trial dates? If a person had the means to commit 50 different federal crimes in 50 different jurisdictions, wouldn't they at some point possibly have to stand trial at two courts at once?

I could understand the coordination as a courtesy but if Cannon continually delays from May up to past the election does that mean that Chutkan cannot use June-October for a trial date?
I don't know the formal rules around this of course ,but one of the legal podcasts suggested that Cannon can in fact squat on the date without postponing it now and thus prevent others from scheduling anything there, yeah.

e:

quote:

Judge Cannon is also squatting on the trial date that is smack dab in the middle of summer. And let's just unpack how that's gonna play out, particularly with respect to the DC trial before Judge Tanya Chut. Right? As you know, judge Chut was required by law to put Trump's criminal obstruction trial on hold while the appellate courts could sort out his nonsense immunity claims that case was set to go first, right? To go to trial on March 4th. And obviously that's not gonna happen. But now the question of delay runs smack dab into the time that Judge Cannon has reserved for this trial. Right? So let's just imagine we get an expeditious ruling from the DC circuit and the Supreme Court and the stay is lifted.

Well, judge Cannon's, hold on. Late May is gonna give Trump a plausible reason to protest any date that the DOJ requests for that trial to resume that isn't after the election, right? April, may, June, July, August. Right? Trump will claim no, look like you can't have that, you can't schedule this trial in late April. I'm gonna go to trial in the Southern District of Florida in May. Right? And even though he definitely won't, and I, you know how that's gonna play out, I don't know. But, but we're gonna continue to keep our eyes on it.
https://app.podscribe.ai/episode/94610108

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jan 22, 2024

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Cimber posted:

So apparently Carroll's lawyers are asking for even more money now based on what Trump said this weekend.

https://www.meidastouch.com/news/carrolls-lawyers-seek-more-money-for-trumps-statements-this-weekend

You dumb poo poo.
I always counted on Trump's inability to shut the gently caress up when he's angry at someone to be the only possible way he'd get into any real inconvenience but I didn't think it'd be on the civil side of things. The funniest outcome would be something like the jury going "the fine's 10 percent of your stated net worth rear end in a top hat" and then whoops he can't actually pay that by any means

Edit: having read the article, it'll be interesting to see if Trump testifies, thus falling into a trap that was clearly stated and advertised as being a trap beforehand, assuming he still cares about money more than revenge. Normally for any billionaire I'd say the money is more important but this guy is uniquely insane

The Islamic Shock fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jan 22, 2024

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
At this point I'm not sure he's able to resist taking the stand for the press and letting everyone know it was actually the perfect defamation. Just for the chance to rant about it all being an unfair witch hunt.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Gyges posted:

At this point I'm not sure he's able to resist taking the stand for the press and letting everyone know it was actually the perfect defamation. Just for the chance to rant about it all being an unfair witch hunt.

He constantly says he'll take the stand and then chickens out at the last second, then immediately lies about how he wanted to take the stand but it was just so unfair blah blah blah...

He's only taken the stand when forced to, I'd be surprised if he does follow through

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Gyges posted:

Yes, he’s going to just try and get in every excluded piece of nonsense he has. Heck, I expect him to pull out a piece of blue cloth and start ranting about his sperm.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
If he's successfully baited into taking the stand it'll be the first time. He's normally smart enough to avoid it.0

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
So has there been any new developments on the Fani Willis accusations or are we just waiting for her to try to respond?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Eric Cantonese posted:

So has there been any new developments on the Fani Willis accusations or are we just waiting for her to try to respond?

Believe a hearing is scheduled.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

A video of Willis came out that, if the allegations are true, would make her an enormous hypocrite, but I don’t think there’s new news.

https://x.com/simonateba/status/1748721272966480114?s=20

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

selec posted:

A video of Willis came out that, if the allegations are true, would make her an enormous hypocrite, but I don’t think there’s new news.

Honestly, some of the expenses that the accusors say show they're in a relationship just don't make sense, like booking two rooms at a hotel.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Randalor posted:

Honestly, some of the expenses that the accusors say show they're in a relationship just don't make sense, like booking two rooms at a hotel.

It’s also not what I’d call extremely convincing evidence that they weren’t. That’s basic “the expenses system will flag if we sent two people but only got one room” level opsec if they were carrying on.

If this does end up blowing the case, though…woof!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Randalor posted:

That could absolutely make sense for deniability reasons, especially if one or both people are married. As in if two people were authorized for the same room, the hotel would know. If someone said they'd be staying at a hotel but had not booked a room, the hotel would know. It's harder to prove that two people with separate rooms stayed in the same room.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

selec posted:

It’s also not what I’d call extremely convincing evidence that they weren’t. That’s basic “the expenses system will flag if we sent two people but only got one room” level opsec if they were carrying on.

If this does end up blowing the case, though…woof!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

That could absolutely make sense for deniability reasons, especially if one or both people are married. As in if two people were authorized for the same room, the hotel would know. If someone said they'd be staying at a hotel but had not booked a room, the hotel would know. It's harder to prove that two people with separate rooms stayed in the same room.

Do y'all know how the burden of proof works?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Even if you were booking two rooms you would be charged the total amount at the same time. Hypothetically it would be one charge for the room and one charge for the "romantic" dinner at the hotel's restaurant. Which is why it was $600 and $280. So like 5 nights at the hotel and one mukbang at the Chili's price point hotel restaurant.

The cruise charges similarly are weird as a 2 separate tickets thing, because once again you would buy the cabins at the same time. Unless he double clicked his booking and then had to get a cancellation later. The only way the expenses make sense is if they're using uncovered receipts instead of credit card statements. Or my credit card statements are under detailed.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Xiahou Dun posted:

In court, sure, but we’re just shooting the poo poo here.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

selec posted:

In court, sure, but we’re just shooting the poo poo here.

The burden of proof is a basic part of understanding reality, otherwise you'd have to be always disproving random crazy poo poo like your keys weren't lost, they were stolen by invisible penguins. (Or whatever ; I made up a possible but absurd thing.)

You don't generally have to prove that something didn't happen, because that's an incredibly silly thing to have to prove.

If you want to require that random accusations have to be actually disproven before being dismissed, rather than they need to meet some burden before consideration, you're gonna have some nonsense conversations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

selec posted:

Heh, that’s this guy:
“Following Ateba's repeated interruptions of press briefings, where he shouted at press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre and complained about not being called on, the press office tightened rules governing the issuance of hard passes for journalists.”

Also hypocrisy is meaningless.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Xiahou Dun posted:

This is a really good point. There were two rooms booked at the hotel so it's on Roman and co to show evidence that one of them spent the night in the others room.

The cruise is a little more circumstantially difficult but you could certainly argue that it was platonic due to two separate rooms. People do go on cruises with friends all the time.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I go on cruises with my employee that I'm loving all the time

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

mobby_6kl posted:

And you buy them a separate cabin because you need space for all your luggage.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

Yeah? So, what? The point is that unless there is more substantial evidence it's nothing actionable.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Murgos posted:

This is a really good point. There were two rooms booked at the hotel so it's on Roman and co to show evidence that one of them spent the night in the others room.

The cruise is a little more circumstantially difficult but you could certainly argue that it was platonic due to two separate rooms. People do go on cruises with friends all the time.

The evidence of the Caribbean bang cruise is that the same day he bought tickets to Miami he also paid money to Royal Caribbean. The hotel is similarly that he bought plane tickets for them both to San Fransisco, then on a separate date he had two charges at a Napa Valley hotel. It's the most circumstantial of evidence and is clearly cherry picked in order to create a narrative.

The only thing actually linking them to anything is two plane trips to locations relevant to their case. Everything else is completely separate charges that when presented properly look suspicious. Much like if you booked a plane ticket to Vegas for April and then later on today bought some condoms at the store, I would be presenting clear evidence you were going to Vegas to cheat on your wife with at least 3 different hookers.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Randalor posted:

Famously when I have an affair I make sure that we have two hotel rooms to not sleep together in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Prosecutors aren't suddenly good people because they're prosecuting people you hate. They're still cops.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)