Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I love ethics, I love video games, and I love journalism. Put all three together, mix 'em up, and that's my idea of a fun afternoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

NoiseAnnoys posted:

yeah and sometimes it's pretty funny like the time i.m. gei thought you could get pregnant from anal sex.

Or invent a helmet that stops concussions

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I'm really excited for Dragons Dogma 2. Debating if I should warm up by playing some of Dragon's Dogma 1 first though. I know there's no story carry over, but it's been on my list anyway.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

iwentdoodie posted:

Or invent a helmet that stops concussions

or a print a perfectly accurate 12" ruler on paper to build a fence.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Paladinus posted:

I love ethics, I love video games, and I love journalism. Put all three together, mix 'em up, and that's my idea of a fun afternoon.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Adventure Time taught me that a gamergate is also a type of ant. Isn't that weird

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
i dont know what compelled me to search 'palworld' other than people never shutting up about it but good lord this is some powerful posting

quiggy posted:

palworld seems deeply cynical and misanthropic and im looking forward to it exiting the zeitgeist

quiggy posted:

a game allowing you to do bad things is one thing, a game that forces you to do bad things and then analyzes it is another thing, and a third thing entirely is games like palworld that seem explicitly to be sandboxes for bad people to live out bad fantasies. like i get really strong hatred vibes off palworld even though they're very different games

quiggy posted:

fun fact hogwarts legacy was 2023's best selling game and palworld has already sold 5m copies. gamers are awful!

yospos remains undefeated

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Palword seems fun conceptually but at the end of the day its an Ark style survival game and must unfortunately be destroyed

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

gamers are awful!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Violen posted:

i dont know what compelled me to search 'palworld' other than people never shutting up about it but good lord this is some powerful posting

lol loving amazing

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
i still think about the vin diesel drop in the ark 2 reveal sometimes and crack up

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Gaming ftw.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

hatty posted:

Palword seems fun conceptually but at the end of the day its an Ark style survival game and must unfortunately be destroyed

Yeah but sometimes the public just has questionable taste (in this case treepuncher games) and it's weird that goons can't understand that people like a genre they don't and assume it must be because they're brainwashed by memes or subliminal chud messages or whatever

It's the same mentality that produces 1000000 word articles about how the box office success of noncontroversial family movie heralds the sexual failure of Gen Z

mycot fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jan 22, 2024

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Violen posted:

From what I've seen, it's a janky game where you shoot pokemons with a gun and make them chop trees for you. It's maybe slightly more objectionable than Pokemon itself. I honestly don't know why it's so popular, but then I don't really get Minecraft either, so that's on me.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Violen posted:

Quingey.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
[colonel chud von nazi holds up a gemstone glowing in familiar colors of green and orange] behold, the gameragate of sarkeesian, and you delivered it right into our hands dr. jones

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Paladinus posted:

From what I've seen, it's a janky game where you shoot pokemons with a gun and make them chop trees for you. It's maybe slightly more objectionable than Pokemon itself. I honestly don't know why it's so popular, but then I don't really get Minecraft either, so that's on me.

it's driving people insane on social media

game is fun, but its a survival crafter so you can only do so much via the 'normal' settings before the nth hour of rare ore mining breaks you mentally and you just change the multipliers to as high as they go

everything is about creating a workforce of legally distinct pokemon to automate everything for you

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

*emerges from pile of pizza boxes and HealthGreen Recycled Paper Takeout Bowls like homer from the bush* Oh my god, squiggly. Gamers really are loving wastemen. I’m so sorry to hear of these sales numbers.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Paladinus posted:

It's a mid crafting sim that's more stable than modern pokemon games have been, which is enough to pull people in for a week. Then it also gives off mildly menacing vibes because people are suspicious of an early access crafting sim from a Chinese developer, it being a game that only stands out because you're able to shoot pokemon analogs with guns, and the CEO is into crypto, so people are convinced the other shoe is going to fall at any moment and going mad over it. (Nothing bad has happened yet, and there's no specific reason to think it will.)

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Wormskull posted:

*emerges from pile of pizza boxes and HealthGreen Recycled Paper Takeout Bowls like homer from the bush* Oh my god, squiggly. Gamers really are loving wastemen. I’m so sorry to hear of these sales numbers.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Wormskull posted:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I think the game kind of sucks rear end and is extremely derivative but like...So what lol. People having fun with it is whatever. Most of the haters can't just say why it's bad and instead hide behind plagerism or AI boogeymen. It's pathetic,

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I think the game kind of sucks rear end and is extremely derivative but like...So what lol. People having fun with it is whatever. Most of the haters can't just say why it's bad and instead hide behind plagerism or AI boogeymen. It's pathetic,

it's because i like being a hater

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

check out this cool bird

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

whats so bad about palworld

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

found out one of the Palworld devs weve been rizzing up, and splurging on their wishlist, did QA on Hogjorts: DONATE TO MERMAIDS NOW!!. the discord kinda converged into a big impromptu death wail for a while.

e: word filter...?
e2: hogw arts hogwar ts hHogjorts: DONATE TO MERMAIDS NOW!! solved it

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

check out this cool bird

How much ore can it gather for me at my base?

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

HolePisser1982 posted:

found out one of the Palworld devs weve been rizzing up, and splurging on their wishlist, did QA on Hogjorts: DONATE TO MERMAIDS NOW!!. the discord kinda converged into a big impromptu death wail for a while.

Uh huh

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

check out this cool bird

good bird

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Nuns with Guns posted:

It's a mid crafting sim that's more stable than modern pokemon games have been, which is enough to pull people in for a week. Then it also gives off mildly menacing vibes because people are suspicious of an early access crafting sim from a Chinese developer, it being a game that only stands out because you're able to shoot pokemon analogs with guns, and the CEO is into crypto, so people are convinced the other shoe is going to fall at any moment and going mad over it. (Nothing bad has happened yet, and there's no specific reason to think it will.)

Japanese.

It’s really not even that janky tbh there have been major AAA games with more bugs released just in the last year.

Sure it rips off a lot of stuff from other games but who gives a poo poo because the combined parts are a poo poo load of fun. The animations are also really well done and these Pokémon’s have some personality to them.

It’s also a $26 ($30) game.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

lobster shirt posted:

whats so bad about palworld

it's way slower than ntscworld

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Palworld is also subject to the kind of insane misinformation hysteria I haven't seen since the original Pokemon ironically enough.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
dogfighting... has changed

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

HolePisser1982 posted:

Lmfao

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

HopperUK posted:

e: when I worked in a bookshop we used to sell one called 'Who Built The Moon' and you know, I never read it. I still don't know.
The Maker of Moons, duh.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

I like how theres a bunch of unity asset store games that rip off Getting Over It, but theyre all made by like extremely foreign teenagers w/ zero lived experience, so the parts where there's supposed to be some kind of philosophical dialog they just have like wikiquotes from Abraham Lincoln

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Violen posted:

good bird

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

HolePisser1982 posted:

I like how theres a bunch of unity asset store games that rip off Getting Over It, but theyre all made by like extremely foreign teenagers w/ zero lived experience, so the parts where there's supposed to be some kind of philosophical dialog they just have like wikiquotes from Abraham Lincoln

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

it's way slower than ntscworld