Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/RealYouTubeKids/status/1749270374938820995?s=20

This is p. much me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Early Access is just its own genre now, one that future updates to a game can either lean into or away from until it's no longer applicable and the tag gets removed. I don't normally play them, especially when I'm actually interested in what the final product will look like, but whether or not I do is something I determine with the normal cost:gameplay calculation instead of a blanket ban. There's a lot of game in Palworld already so it's easy to justify, but I went in prepared for a "development is now taking place on a solid gold yacht" end point and I'd never hold it against them.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Still don't know what palworld is

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

personally when I don't know about something, and am not interested in changing that, I find myself posting LESS about it, not more

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Gonna have to take a break from Death Stranding tomorrow to grind out all the Solid Snake quests on Fortnite

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

mods support NFT, you read it here folks.

all my mod stars gone

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

loquacius posted:

personally when I don't know about something, and am not interested in changing that, I find myself posting LESS about it, not more

Let them work though it

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

You should wait and see what the gently caress happens to Palworld because the devs have done cash grabs before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdNzDe7Jx1Y

Their last game, Craftworld, was basically Palworld without the guns or pokemon ripoffs and they abandoned it in early access to reinvest the sales into Palworld. It looks like their plan with Palworld was to abandon it and reinvest sales into a blockchain game, but now they'll probably not abandon Palworld thanks to its freak success. This is going to be a platform for scamming the player base.

"What if Minecraft right now with all the micropurchases was what Minecraft was always like from the beginning?" is about how I'd expect Palworld to develop. You'll be waiting years for something like a map or biome expansion and in the meantime you're buying QoL improvements with real money for a game that plateaus after 5 hours.

another victim of palworld derangement syndrome

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
more like FAILworld

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

How many early access games that got insanely popular actually followed through on their development cycle instead of resting on their laurels and staying in EA limbo? Valheim and Project Zomboid are the worst offenders I can think of for not expanding to meet their means and getting lost in a slow crawl of progress.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Phasmophobia definitely, I mean as an offender that is

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

loquacius posted:

Interesting

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

more like FAILworld

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The Chad Jihad posted:

Phasmophobia definitely, I mean as an offender that is

Star Citizen is still stuck in its own early access now that I think of it.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

How many early access games that got insanely popular actually followed through on their development cycle instead of resting on their laurels and staying in EA limbo? Valheim and Project Zomboid are the worst offenders I can think of for not expanding to meet their means and getting lost in a slow crawl of progress.

No Man's Sky which will also be met by some of the most deranged gamers crying about how it doesn't count because it still doesn't look exactly like the trailer.

Stardew, vampire survivor, rimworld just off the top of my head. There's a lot of successful early access games that just grew into full ones even after "you can just gently caress off and walk away" levels of success.

The train wrecks are just really funny so you know all about them, like Star Citizen

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

against the storm

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

against the storm was early access and that was ne of the best game purchases I made last year.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I think the Valheim guys have added a bunch of stuff now including that unfinished biome

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/noah_dowe/status/1749462118376636792

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I think the Valheim guys have added a bunch of stuff now including that unfinished biome

They're really slow but they do keep releasing updates and were always very upfront about the size of what they were working with. Absolutely got 20 dollars worth of entertainment from it.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Gumball Gumption posted:

The train wrecks are just really funny so you know all about them, like Star Citizen

Star Citizen also had the opposite kind of problem to Steam devs, because they were too ambitious and had to raise more funds to make up for project mismanagement instead of raising the funds and then mismanaging the project.

Mistlands were added last march, so right now Valheim is on the long march to the Ashlands.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Gumball Gumption posted:

No Man's Sky which will also be met by some of the most deranged gamers crying about how it doesn't count because it still doesn't look exactly like the trailer.

Stardew, vampire survivor, rimworld just off the top of my head. There's a lot of successful early access games that just grew into full ones even after "you can just gently caress off and walk away" levels of success.

stardew was never early access

also nms still sucks major rear end, don’t care about trailer I just care it’s still bad. and any goon who says “it’s good now I promise!” is deranged and likely a Prestor Jane rereg

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

subnautica, factorio, against the storm, baulder's gate 3

warframe really perfected the technique though, they've been in perpetual early access mode since before early access existed

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

hades, caves of qud

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

not many but enough that the concept of early access is still seen as a viable tactic by those wanting to exploit it

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Xaris posted:

also nms still sucks major rear end, don’t care about trailer I just care it’s still bad. and any goon who says “it’s good now I promise!” is deranged and likely a Prestor Jane rereg

Oh right, he just gave it support forever post release.

Also it's good now.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Xaris posted:

:hai:

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Flying around in my space ship peeping all the weird hosed up guys the game spawns while gamers scream stop having fun, stop being a game enjoyer.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

turn off the TV posted:

subnautica, factorio, against the storm, baulder's gate 3

warframe really perfected the technique though, they've been in perpetual early access mode since before early access existed

The warframe devs call it "persistent beta," which is a pretty good way to describe an MMO.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

sebmojo posted:

Morpheus: you think that's.. fun... you're having...?

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The warframe devs call it "persistent beta," which is a pretty good way to describe an MMO.

Stealing design ideas from Gunz the Duel smdh

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Mr Hootington posted:

I don't know what that is

1 min of research has yielded the following

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Darkest Dungeon, sort-of. They gave the game a ton of update but listened to the try-hards within their playerbase too much and overtuned a bunch of stuff.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
dead cells had an excellent early access cycle and the game was fun in new ways on every release i played

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

what games are you turds playing?

I got all the binding of isaac dlc and I'm having a great time.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Whirling posted:

I got all the binding of isaac dlc and I'm having a great time.

definitely an all time favorite. just infinitely replayable and so fun to break

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
i'm just going through my first playthrough of disco elysium, day 2 and struggling to get this fuggin corpse down

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

zomboid npc and animal update is comin this year i think

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

the 'debate' with Destiny made it pretty clear the only thing left in Jones' skull is vodka and reflexive memes

there has been a significant decline and I'll be shocked if he isn't dead or stroked out within 5 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

ex post facho posted:

i'm just going through my first playthrough of disco elysium, day 2 and struggling to get this fuggin corpse down

skill issue. go get more skill points