Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Oblivion is one of the most comedic examples of the "oh no, anyway" method of Bethesda storytelling. You watch the emperor get shanked by an insane cult talking about the end times and then can just... gently caress off. Forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Alaois posted:

oblivion dumps you out of the imperial sewer right into the open world, and the first main story quest doesn't even direct you to go into the city, it directs you to a place on the outskirts of cheydinal

you're also strongly encouraged to cross the lake because you can see a camp (but not the bandits whose camp it is) and your first ayleid ruin right as you look out from the sewer exit, while there's no obvious way to get back into the imperial city. then, quests redirect you back to the imperial city as you progress through the various bits of story. it's nicely set up so you still get the rush of "going to the big city" even though you started right next to it.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fE3mhzd6wtM
"There are 32 cups in this picture; one person does not need that many cups! I've heard two girls only need one cup."

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Angryhead posted:

"There are 32 cups in this picture; one person does not need that many cups! I've heard two girls only need one cup."

32 Stanley Cups have only been necessary since the fall of 2021. However, Big Hockey is exclusionary and refuses to produce more than the existing 3.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

white women are buying all of the Stanley Cups to ensure that Toronto and Montreal never acquire another

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
I had no idea what they were until now and the vague notion "white women love Stanely cups" just had me assuming Taylor Swift was dating a hockey player.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Alaois posted:

white women are buying all of the Stanley Cups to ensure that Toronto and Montreal never acquire another

Good, imo.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

SkeletonHero posted:

I had no idea what they were until now and the vague notion "white women love Stanely cups" just had me assuming Taylor Swift was dating a hockey player.

Because I wasn't fully watching the video, it took me a little too long to realise this wasn't a hockey fan paraphernalia thing. This being my first exposure to this... mess probably didn't help.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Angryhead posted:

This comment basically sums up the large diatribe I was just about to post

I say this as a white lady myself, but white ladies who are really in to collecting things are something else. Like those ladies that were really in to the pottery brand you get at TJ Maxx and Homegoods. I can't think of anything I collect that would make me go the length of duking it out with people at loving Target

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

SkeletonHero posted:

Apparently it's from Mormon culture. At some point the Mormon leaders basically said "you can have caffeinated soda pop with additives" (while tea, coffee, alcohol etc were banned) and that exploded, and this company's giant mugs were a super effective vessel for carrying like 60 oz of elder-approved go juice. And then it's just exploded from there into general basic bitch culture.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Grondoth posted:

Oblivion is one of the most comedic examples of the "oh no, anyway" method of Bethesda storytelling. You watch the emperor get shanked by an insane cult talking about the end times and then can just... gently caress off. Forever.

the last time I played oblivion I wanted to keep the option of going through gates available but didn't want to actually deal with them yet and long story short, I hosed off for so long that it actively broke the main quest and I couldn't be assed to debug exactly which NPC or flag had tripped to prevent it from working so I just wasn't able to get into kvatch ever

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Arivia posted:

Apparently it's from Mormon culture. At some point the Mormon leaders basically said "you can have caffeinated soda pop with additives" (while tea, coffee, alcohol etc were banned) and that exploded, and this company's giant mugs were a super effective vessel for carrying like 60 oz of elder-approved go juice. And then it's just exploded from there into general basic bitch culture.

I never connected the dots between the weirdly trad looking Stanley cup girls and Mormons but this now makes perfect sense.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
also I missed that I was responding to oblivion chat in not-the-starfield thread so in response to this

Happy Landfill posted:

I say this as a white lady myself, but white ladies who are really in to collecting things are something else. Like those ladies that were really in to the pottery brand you get at TJ Maxx and Homegoods. I can't think of anything I collect that would make me go the length of duking it out with people at loving Target

resurrecting a classic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REElEEJZncI

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I was excited but it’s apparently not about that Stanley cup.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

also I missed that I was responding to oblivion chat in not-the-starfield thread so in response to this

resurrecting a classic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REElEEJZncI

Rae dunn, that was the name :doh: Just loving insane poo poo

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I just wish Morrowind had a UI that doesn't suck.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Morrowind ui rules, you can resize it and pin any window anywhere you want it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

stanley cups barely look any different from any other travel drink cup you can buy. i dont get it

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Endorph posted:

stanley cups barely look any different from any other travel drink cup you can buy. i dont get it

you're not consoomer enough

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twzAQcF7HdI

Good video on the most influential American comic book artist ever. I remember hearing about this channel when he posted his first video nine months ago, but then I forgot about it. Seems like he has done a ton of stuff in the meantime.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Endorph posted:

someone said the current head of marketing at Stanley used to be the head of marketing at Crocs and a lot of things clicked into place for me + the mormon stuff

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

at least crocs had a distinct look

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
As someone completely unfamiliar with this craze: Do these cups have any actual functional differences from the travel cups that have been on the market for the past 20 years?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

not a single one

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Drop shipping at scale.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
Phil Edwards had a video recently about the design and marketing history of bullshit that brought us Stanley Cups. It's frustrating that he doesn't get into the environmental horror and bleak irony of it all but he's a design guy focused primarily on design and marketing stuff.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
IDK that the Stanley cup thing is appreciably all that different from any of the previous reusable water vessel fashion trends (Nalgene, Yeti cups, hydro flask, etc) except maybe for the presence/influence of tik tok

I don’t think there were ever people fighting each other in public or gang-tackling shoplifters over Nalgene/Yeti/etc, so that’s definitely a new thing, but, like Stanley, they all had been established existing brands for years that got super trendy and sold out everywhere during their trend heyday.

I think the influence of contemporary collector/hobby social media (plant tiktok and plant YouTube come to mind, as does sneaker culture—which has been directly referenced by the ppl at Stanley responsible for the marketing push) is very visible, and arguably new.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Gertrude Perkins posted:

Phil Edwards had a video recently about the design and marketing history of bullshit that brought us Stanley Cups. It's frustrating that he doesn't get into the environmental horror and bleak irony of it all but he's a design guy focused primarily on design and marketing stuff.

I don’t like Phil Edwards. I’ve seen a bunch of his videos and they’re all really well done but also there’s something that feels, IDK vapid? Insincere? Capitalist?

I really don’t know, but you call it frustrating, and I agree.

Like he reminds me of somebody like Marques or the Unbox Therapy guy or a similar Apple/etc youtuber, where it’s just like pretty, technically competent and tastefully done, just-below-surface-level interesting “turn your brain off” corporate cheerleading—but like he has enough of the video essayist/breadtube flavor that you go into his videos expecting at least a mention of something more and then feel frustrated when he doesn’t go in that direction.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
Stanley cups hired the marketing genius who managed to revive crocs. it was suggested by "the buy guide" (a blog for wealthy women and middle to upper class moms) after he roped them into the marketing and asked them what women wanted lol. one weird trick

e: i do not own a Stanley cup, but can see the appeal/kind of want one. its huge, has a straw and lid, fits in cup holders and has a handle. and bc it was made for working men originally, they last forever

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

yeti was weirdly class-based/gatekeeped as well. it had strong email job associations. stanley does not seem to as much.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lotus Aura posted:

Because I wasn't fully watching the video, it took me a little too long to realise this wasn't a hockey fan paraphernalia thing. This being my first exposure to this... mess probably didn't help.

Yeah up until about 5 minutes ago I didn't realise that either.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth

fun hater posted:

e: i do not own a Stanley cup, but can see the appeal/kind of want one. its huge, has a straw and lid, fits in cup holders and has a handle. and bc it was made for working men originally, they last forever

That's the thing - they're not a bad product, but they're a product that each person only really ever needs one of. But the dropshipping influencer hype is encouraging people to buy way, way more than one, and brag about it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I like my Yeti mug but I don't remember when it was given to me. Nowadays you walk into a Cabelas and there's an entire wall of Yeti merchandise like their equivalent of Funko Pops.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Arivia posted:

you're also strongly encouraged to cross the lake because you can see a camp (but not the bandits whose camp it is) and your first ayleid ruin right as you look out from the sewer exit, while there's no obvious way to get back into the imperial city. then, quests redirect you back to the imperial city as you progress through the various bits of story. it's nicely set up so you still get the rush of "going to the big city" even though you started right next to it.

Weird, maybe I just zigged when I should have zagged and ended up in the city too soon? No idea. I'm somehow amazed it hasn't ended up in my steam collection to try it again.

Happy Landfill posted:

This comment basically sums up the large diatribe I was just about to post

Since I was just watching H.Bomberguy's video on Director's Cuts this sprang to mind the callout he made to THX1138 where people buy an item for the store and immediately throw it out, having attained the pleasure of buying it.

Part of me also wonders how much is people view-seeking; they want their narrative to include the item so their TikTok feed can get in on the hype and possibly go viral too.

We're a nation of temporarily embarrassed influencers now.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

trilobite terror posted:

I don’t like Phil Edwards. I’ve seen a bunch of his videos and they’re all really well done but also there’s something that feels, IDK vapid? Insincere? Capitalist?

I really don’t know, but you call it frustrating, and I agree.

Like he reminds me of somebody like Marques or the Unbox Therapy guy or a similar Apple/etc youtuber, where it’s just like pretty, technically competent and tastefully done, just-below-surface-level interesting “turn your brain off” corporate cheerleading—but like he has enough of the video essayist/breadtube flavor that you go into his videos expecting at least a mention of something more and then feel frustrated when he doesn’t go in that direction.

I think that even comes across in that video since most of it is him going over some pretty nefarious concepts and how the company behind this leveraged deliberate scarcity and conspicuous consumption to create a crazed based around an otherwise completely unremarkable product and his only real conclusion is "And I think that's pretty neat".

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ive been collecting action figures and other garbage for decades now since like 2003 and post pandemic I've noticed an extreme uptick in people hanging around the collectible sections in stores.

Pre 2020 I could walk up to the target Neca section, peruse the stuff and leave. But now? poo poo packed with people. There's always someone there looking at the funkos or whatever. Same with action figures in the toy isle. Now I see more adults hang around those sections.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

stillvisions posted:

Since I was just watching H.Bomberguy's video on Director's Cuts this sprang to mind the callout he made to THX1138 where people buy an item for the store and immediately throw it out, having attained the pleasure of buying it.

This is me with free video games, and sometimes "deeply discounted" games. But at least those items don't take up space in my home, or on a container ship on their way to me

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

stillvisions posted:

Weird, maybe I just zigged when I should have zagged and ended up in the city too soon? No idea. I'm somehow amazed it hasn't ended up in my steam collection to try it again.

Part of me also wonders how much is people view-seeking; they want their narrative to include the item so their TikTok feed can get in on the hype and possibly go viral too.

We're a nation of temporarily embarrassed influencers now.

The social media stuff definitely plays a part in it. It's like it pushes people way past the point of reasonableness, all in service of clicks

Like, come on, accessories for your cup?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

fun hater posted:

This is kind of where I'm at with them. I looked into them when they were getting super popular and they looked pretty solid. I could use one but just, you know, one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Who needs a Stanley Cup when you can have the Stanley (parable) Bucket.