Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Hacksaw Ridge has a straight up Evil Dead 2 jumpscare in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Straight up the alien abduction scene in close encounters

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

A Fancy Hat posted:

Something kind of fun to change topics a bit; my wife and I are rewatching the Lord of the Rings. I haven't seen it in probably a decade, she hasn't seen it in like 15 years. She was not a big horror person when she first watched it as a kid.

Going back and rewatching these, it's wild how much of a horror vibe there is to certain scenes. And, obviously, the casting of Christopher Lee and Brad Dourif. Just really cool to get see this stuff bleed into some of the most acclaimed and popular movies of all time.

Like I remember seeing Spider-Man 2 in theaters and when Doc Ock grabbed the medical chainsaw I was so happy we got a straight up Evil Dead moment in a blockbuster superhero movie.

Any other really stand out moments of horror in non-horror movies for you?

My partner and I were having similar conversations about horror villains in non-horror movies yesterday. I absolutely love the villain of Blood Simple - if the Coens had made it a standard slasher maybe it wouldn't be as well-remembered by a wider audience and wouldn't be as interesting as it is overall but Loren Visser would be an 80s horror icon. He rules.

Similarly, this is big spoilers but the entire Mad Man Mundt shotgun sequence in Barton Fink is one of my favorite horror sequences in any movie, and while you could certainly say Barton Fink is a horrifying movie, it's not a horror. So drat good.

Oh, and everything about how Craig locks Lotte in a cage and becomes a body-hopping scumbag in Being John Malkovich is some primo horror stuff.

Basically, the Coens and Charlie Kaufman should make a full horror some time, together or separately, whatever works.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

the scene where Cash tries to find the bathroom in Sorry to Bother You

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

A classic one, the wonka boat scene

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm always reminded of Meet Joe Black where he gets hit by the cars as horror scenes in a not horror movie.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Ooo, I just remembered a good one: the nightmare scene at the beginning of Wild Strawberries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NdoKjLwvS4

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Killing is one of my favorite 21st century samurai movies (from Shinya Tsukamoto, director of Tetsuo and many other things...Definitely check out Vital for horror adjacent stuff much like Amenebar's work) cuz it's this thoughtful meditation on the hollow cycle of violence that (consequently) treats the aftermath of samurai fights as basically the Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.
I’ll put Stand By Me on said list. The train dodge scene is obvious, but if we broaden the idea of horror, there’s a lot in that movie. For example, even though it’s a dream, Gordie’s father - at his oldest son’s funeral - looking at the surviving child and saying, “It should have been you.” Or Chris’ breakdown in realizing both how adults betray children and how his poverty/family rep will define every aspect of his life.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

A Fancy Hat posted:

Something kind of fun to change topics a bit; my wife and I are rewatching the Lord of the Rings. I haven't seen it in probably a decade, she hasn't seen it in like 15 years. She was not a big horror person when she first watched it as a kid.

Going back and rewatching these, it's wild how much of a horror vibe there is to certain scenes. And, obviously, the casting of Christopher Lee and Brad Dourif. Just really cool to get see this stuff bleed into some of the most acclaimed and popular movies of all time.

Like I remember seeing Spider-Man 2 in theaters and when Doc Ock grabbed the medical chainsaw I was so happy we got a straight up Evil Dead moment in a blockbuster superhero movie.

Any other really stand out moments of horror in non-horror movies for you?

My wife and I rewatched them last year as well and I thought the same thing. Not just horror, but Jackson's very specific corny trashy horror kinda throughout, lots of odd Dutch angles, plus the but where the ghosts rampage in the third movie and one of them flies up in your face like at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

M_Sinistrari posted:

I more than understand the allure of taking some of the old kid's stuff and putting a dark spin on it. I sat through so much Barney and Teletubbies when my son was little, my head started spinning together some dark ideas. So far the problem I'm seeing with the horror adaptations of things is they're not really rolling the ideas around in the head to see the possibilities to run with. Going basic slasher route's very unimaginative. The idea I had with Barney centered on the kids being left to their own with lack of baby sitter..etc.. and they imagined Barney up as some variant of tulpa to not be alone with the plush as a focus. Fast forward to the future and the kids are grown. They meet up again for some reason, maybe the old school's getting demolished and they're getting nostalgic for the good days with Barney compared to how life turned out. It's enough for Barney and the others to manifest again. They're happy to see their human friends again, but knowing that they've had sadness in their lives, Barney and the others decide to make their human friends happy again by going after those who made them sad.

An alternative route could be Barney's a manifestation of the subconscious and whispering things to the kids but that's been so done to death already it'd put people asleep in the seats.

A little late to this conversation but the best "Dark Barney" take is Death to Smoochy, because it understands that the disturbing part is the juxtaposition of grime and the superficially clean and cheerful kids' show stuff, which it accomplishes by mostly being about how the performers and managers are psychopaths. A Winnie-the-Pooh-themed slasher doesn't have the juxtaposition, it's just grime.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 22, 2024

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i gotta rewatch Death to Smoochy lol

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Also FF/screenlife has extreme genre-crossing potential and immersive horror in the right hands.

chiming in to say Unfriended 2: Dark Web has literally nothing to do with the wacky/silly ghost from the first one, is totally grounded in reality, and is loving terrifying despite somehow never leaving the screens of four-ish people on a Zoom call.

It also does the "three endings based on which theater you saw it in" thing from Clue, so get the blu-ray if you can.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Shrecknet posted:

It also does the "three endings based on which theater you saw it in" thing from Clue, so get the blu-ray if you can.
Oh poo poo thanks for clueing me in on that, I had no idea, gonna check these alternate endings out asap. Loved both movies. Truly heartbreaking to me we got like 25 Paranormal Activities but can't get Unfriended 3.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its Monday so new Bracketology movies! And these are deep cut weird ones if you're looking for something new this week to watch.

Where’ We’re At:
2. Ratno Timoer’s Revenge of the Ninja vs. 15. (Darth’s Team Fresh Styles) Jiri Sádek’s The Noonday Witch
7. (Goat’s Bracketology Redux) Kenneth Branagh’s Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein vs. 10. (Sam’s TaBOO!) Harry Kümel’s Malpertuis

You can vote in this round until 12 noon EST Jan 29th (or when I get to it)

Next Week!
1. I Ain't Never Seen This Before vs. 16. Team Metro Noir Horror Anime
8. Lewton Bus vs. 9. Kiyoshi Kurosawa

Thread / Spreadsheet / Letterboxd List

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Jedit posted:

Hope you enjoy relentless misogyny. Great score, poo poo attitude to women.

There's definitely a very awkward juxtaposition between how it tries to be a straightforward sci-fi story about a feminist awakening in a society that feminizes it's organic slave robots while also being a tits-and-rear end music video, but for all of that it is a story about a feminist awakening.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Death to Smoochy owns but I get why a lot of people hated it.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

How do we get this far into "horror scenes in non horror movies" without bringing up Large Marge?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The government getting ET and him nearly dying hosed me up.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
If we're allowed to do TV the series finale of Dinosaurs was fuckin horrifying

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

My partner and I were having similar conversations about horror villains in non-horror movies yesterday. I absolutely love the villain of Blood Simple - if the Coens had made it a standard slasher maybe it wouldn't be as well-remembered by a wider audience and wouldn't be as interesting as it is overall but Loren Visser would be an 80s horror icon. He rules.

Similarly, this is big spoilers but the entire Mad Man Mundt shotgun sequence in Barton Fink is one of my favorite horror sequences in any movie, and while you could certainly say Barton Fink is a horrifying movie, it's not a horror. So drat good.

Oh, and everything about how Craig locks Lotte in a cage and becomes a body-hopping scumbag in Being John Malkovich is some primo horror stuff.

Basically, the Coens and Charlie Kaufman should make a full horror some time, together or separately, whatever works.

god drat do i love Loren Visser in Blood Simple. Coen Bros would absolutely make a fantastic straight horror movie. Brad Pitt's death scene in Burn After Reading is harrowing too.

the tunnel ride in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (71) is a primo horror drop.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

alf_pogs posted:

. Brad Pitt's death scene in Burn After Reading is harrowing too.

Harrowingly hilarious.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

Harrowingly hilarious.

Coen Bros really know how to deploy Clooney for comedy. him going totally insane with paranoia by the end of the movie is fantastic.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Baron von Eevl posted:

The government getting ET and him nearly dying hosed me up.

The kids finding his frail pale body in the creek bed

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea I was gonna say, Neverending Story has a few moments that clearly were meant to be nightmare fuel.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

That film's just straight up horror fantasy. The valley with the statues? The horse?

Europeans should do more fantasy epics. They know that kids love having the poo poo scared out of them, and fantasy epics really only works if you ground the entire setting by emphasizing the lack of safety and making the monsters actually mean and hosed up. I'm half watching the new Percy Jackson with a mate and it's so anemic, the show's about children on the run from man eating monsters and there's somehow barely any threat.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Oh hi it's Gmork, that guy that really hosed me up when I was like 4.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Labyrinth scared the poo poo out of me as a kid

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
No bug-centric movie has ever gotten to me quite like the bug-pit scene from Jackson's King Kong.

filmcynic
Oct 30, 2012

Opopanax posted:

How do we get this far into "horror scenes in non horror movies" without bringing up Large Marge?

I vote for this bit in Superman 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuSsSwg9MXs

I mean, Jesus.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Kazzah posted:

No bug-centric movie has ever gotten to me quite like the bug-pit scene from Jackson's King Kong.

hell yeah the Chef's demise is horrifying and burned into my memory

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

filmcynic posted:

I vote for this bit in Superman 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuSsSwg9MXs

I mean, Jesus.

Even before clicking, I knew the scene.

This one scared the poo poo out of me when I was 6. It was her screams and the idea of being forced to lose your will.

Justin Godscock fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 23, 2024

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Philthy fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jan 23, 2024

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Gotta say if you're a child of any age and you see a clown in the sewer and your immediate reaction isn't to run away screaming you probably would've died some way in the next year or two anyway

Also Pennywise, Freddy, and the Blair Witch are definitely all homies. They probably got a special cell phone plan.

Watching It Part 1, I hear that's the good one. Is Part 2 such a disaster it's not even worth moving onto after?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I enjoyed both of them. I wouldn't say the second is bad or anything, it just didn't have as much of the nostalgia thing going for it that the first one did.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Baron von Eevl posted:

My wife and I rewatched them last year as well and I thought the same thing. Not just horror, but Jackson's very specific corny trashy horror kinda throughout, lots of odd Dutch angles, plus the but where the ghosts rampage in the third movie and one of them flies up in your face like at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark.

The movies and possibly the books get even better if you imagine Frodo as Lionel from Braindead/Dead Alive.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
The first It has some pretty terrible acting outside of Tim Curry. I've never particularly liked the story, either. I felt like it was the prime example of King not knowing how to end a story outside of the God Hand in the Stand.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I'm watching the new ones, don't remember the old TV movies too well. I do like the cartoon physics of this Pennywise, which presumably they couldn't pull off back then very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The 2017 is one of my favorites. It’s just a lot of fun. No nostalgia for the OG. Sorry