Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Jack Trades posted:

I tried playing the game with a friend a while ago and we stopped after a couple of hours because the delays when changing zones was too much. We found it to be unplayably bad.

I'm not going to play the online mode, ever, if they don't fix that.

what's funny is that the problem disappears completely once you hit monoliths, because there's no more map change screens in monoliths

so they have this entire campaign that's borderline unplayable in multiplayer, but the big part at the end works fine and nobody reaches it lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Truga posted:

what's funny is that the problem disappears completely once you hit monoliths, because there's no more map change screens in monoliths

so they have this entire campaign that's borderline unplayable in multiplayer, but the big part at the end works fine and nobody reaches it lmao

If only there was some way to skip the campaign part when making a character but they refuse to implement that either.

King Cocoa Butter
Mar 24, 2021

Don't be ashy.
I really hope they can get multiplayer together for next month. I hopped in last night to check in and all my crits were doing "test" damage instead of numbers. It's not very inspiring to have these basic early dev-style bugs at this point in the game's life.

I have 700 hours in this game and love it to bits but between the MP jank and some of the stubbornness to fix things I still can't actually recommend it to anyone, which is a bummer!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah, since they're a small company I don't get why they're pushing for 1.0 so hard when they aren't close on major features.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Probably need the income

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

zoux posted:

Yeah, since they're a small company I don't get why they're pushing for 1.0 so hard when they aren't close on major features.

The story/campaign won't even be finished when 1.0 is launched.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MrMidnight posted:

The story/campaign won't even be finished when 1.0 is launched.

2 classes too!

I really like this game, I think it could have some legs but not if they gently caress the release.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Aren’t those supposed to be part of the update? Or did I miss that changing.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

They are, unless something changed VERY recently. It was in their 1.0 roadmap picture thing and everything!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They are, but I'm not optimistic about where those classes are going to be with zero beta testing.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

What will be added in 1.0 and what will be added later (exact timing unknown) is detailed in the unofficial roadmap. It's updated based on dev forum posts and interviews. As you can see campaign chapters 10-12 is not expected at launch.

https://forum.lastepoch.com/t/unofficial-roadmap-to-1-0-and-beyond/60203

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

zoux posted:

They are, but I'm not optimistic about where those classes are going to be with zero beta testing.

I'd be worried if the runemaster was bad but it was great

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Tarnop posted:

I'd be worried if the runemaster was bad but it was great

Runemaster is so good it makes me worried about all the other classes lol.

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.
For multiplayer, I've seen it recommended in the discord to have all players select the same region when they start the game (US Central, EU West, or whatever). Supposedly that cuts down on some of the overly long loading times.

Just Another Lurker posted:

How does the offline play hold up?

Offline and online seem to operate off of slightly different builds and the small differences between them can feel kind of weird. Some of the more obvious things I've noticed are offline monoliths still having an extra loading screen when you go to the rest zone, old warp tunnel animations still playing during the story, and doors in offline dungeons getting revealed after killing x amount of enemies instead of only showing up when you're right next to them.

For the 0.9x patch cycle at least, the online version of the game has received more support and attention from the devs and online solo seems like their favored mode. There have been times where story progression has been broken in offline specifically and it's taken a week or two to get hotfixed and Temporal Sanctum was inaccessible offline for over a month before the Runemaster patch.

The upside to playing offline is that all the buttons feel better to press and movement is way smoother with no rubber banding. Shield Rush is an example of a skill you can only play offline currently due to the poor netcode.

The cycle/league mechanics for the near future are supposed to be universal additions for all versions of the game. So the only things missing in offline will be cosmetics and ladders. Also the community doesn't take offline seriously because of the ability to edit saves and some old rear end drama with a youtuber.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Last I played Offline had some unique QoL features too, like letting you drag skills onto your hotbar and use movement skills in hubs, that online version doesn't have, which is hosed up.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

zoux posted:

Runemaster is so good it makes me worried about all the other classes lol.

Yeah this is my actual worry about classes. I know this stuff is to be expected, that developers and tools get better with years of work and so often make cooler and cooler stuff, but man does Runemaster make some of the older classes feel bad to play lol.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Anno posted:

Yeah this is my actual worry about classes. I know this stuff is to be expected, that developers and tools get better with years of work and so often make cooler and cooler stuff, but man does Runemaster make some of the older classes feel bad to play lol.

Shortly after runemaster came out, I remember watching one of the major content creators talk about how RM is great, but it's what sorceror should be, and with RM there is no reason to roll a sorc. I will cope if Warlock/Falconer kill the other Acolyte/Rogue masteries, but it seems to me that a full overhaul is going to be needed for existing classes to bring them up to standards. (they should start with getting rid of volatile reversal)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I kind of expect that once the classes are in that team will start working on class refreshes to get the oldest ones up to date.

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

zoux posted:

(they should start with getting rid of volatile reversal)

Is volatile reversal still the primary feature in every single Paladin/Forgemaster/Void Knight build? I don’t know if any game has ever had a skill that was so powerful yet so unfun to play.

Also, re:MP issues: when it was working for my friend and I, it worked flawlessly. But getting it to work in the first place was our bottleneck. I haven’t played much since early summer, but hearing that they haven’t done much by way of fixing anything has definitely downgraded my excitement for 1.0

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

Runemaster has benefited from some wild bugs and tuning. If we get new stuff at that level in 1.0 and similar lack of fixes, the game is going to be really wacky.

Currently you can get 7x elemental penetration from all sources with a single node in Runic Invocation, 32% base crit for all abilities from a bugged node on the passive tree. Permanent Flame Ward uptime with 5 points spent in Frostwall, effectively making you immortal since Flame Ward is the strongest defensive layer in the game.

Bug abuse builds have become really prevalent on the arena ladder and on youtube.

T4 Julra in 7s using Meteor and Arcane Ascendancy cast speed bug.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHiv5M3PMXA

T4 Julra in 10s using Shatter Strike. Frostclaw procing on self bleed application.
https://i.imgur.com/PQCb9oQ.mp4

1800 corruption shade of orobyss. Runic Invocation penetration abuse. Flame Ward spam with Frostwall. Unspecced Snap Freeze to permanently interrupt the boss.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdf69JEELPo&t=729s

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

wait what, the campaign won't be done with 1.0? :psyduck:

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

If no one had told me the campaign was unfinished, I would never have known. There's a big boss fight and then a cut scene that leads you straight into monoliths

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It definitely feels more complete than when they just had an NPC show up in town after you beat Lagon who was like "Hey, that's all the story we have for now, do you want to teleport to the end of time?"

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ghostlight posted:

I kind of expect that once the classes are in that team will start working on class refreshes to get the oldest ones up to date.
It would be nice to be as excited about all the other necro summons as the bone golem. The very first time I summoned one, and then watched it leap across the screen to instantly turn a pack of enemies into red mist, I dropped everything to specialize in it instead of whatever it was I had at the time. EDIT: the other summ0osn might be effective but they don't have the impact (metaphorical and literal) of the bone golem.

Tarnop posted:

If no one had told me the campaign was unfinished, I would never have known. There's a big boss fight and then a cut scene that leads you straight into monoliths
The actual dialogue around the transition is "poo poo's too unstable to continue the plot right now, go gently caress off to this different game mode"

Zereth fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jan 23, 2024

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

victrix posted:

wait what, the campaign won't be done with 1.0? :psyduck:

Eh, it took PoE years to finish their campaign.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

not having the campaign be finished for 1.0 is extremely silly but otoh i can't think of an ARPG campaign that i checked out of quicker than this one so it doesn't really matter that much to me if the story ends when the missions end

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

NPR Journalizard posted:

Eh, it took PoE years to finish their campaign.

Yep, we had years of repeating the same three acts three times over. :shrug:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's funny that they don't have a campaign skip option after you beat it once considering the monolith system would be an excellent way to level a character.

Every time I get to that part where you have to activate the stairs in the temple by hitting two switches in the past I groan.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
that's one of the rare areas with decent mob density tho :v

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
You don't have to finish the campaign to start monoliths at least; you can bail very early.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Is mapping in this game gonna feel like playing PoE but with 0 league mechanics?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

no, it's like poe with 1 league mechanic

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

watho posted:

not having the campaign be finished for 1.0 is extremely silly but otoh i can't think of an ARPG campaign that i checked out of quicker than this one so it doesn't really matter that much to me if the story ends when the missions end

I think there was something about time travel?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I'm less concerned about zone mechanics than having fun and different skills.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Ghostlight posted:

no, it's like poe with 1 league mechanic

yeah it's this

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Looking at the roadmap I guess there's no season/seasonal mechanic for the 1.0 launch, have the devs talked about their plans for seasons/leagues/whatever they want to call them at all?

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

Short version: The initial few cycles will be universal content. This may or may not persist.

There will be a separate cycle environment for 1.0. It seems like for now it's intended to just be a fresh start and fresh economy with separate ladders from legacy.

A longer dev response, from discord two weeks ago:

quote:

Hey, that's me. I can elaborate.

We aren't prepared to lock in a permanent answer to this question. We like to be agile when it comes to things like this and me promising you one way forever means I'll probably have to break my word.

Initially, the first couple cycles will roll out to everyone everywhere all at once on patch day. This is because our first few cycles that we have planned are things that we know we want in the base game for sure.

One hypothetical situation that I think is likely will go like this. Let's say that we have a cycle that the new mechanic is shared with everyone but there are 5 unique items that we aren't sure if they are going to work well. So we put them in the new cycle only. Maybe one of them needs some tweaks to be good so when the cycle rotates, they get added to legacy with some minor changes.

It is possible that in the future we restrict full mechanics to the cycle as PoE does it. It is also possible that we don't do that either. We need to be able to react to feedback and gameplay patterns.

This is all just a very long winded way of saying that the initial few cycles will be universal content. This may or may not persist.

gnoma fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jan 26, 2024

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

In this video interview, an EHG dev reconfirms that stance. The first Cycle mechanic is the item faction system, which will also be part of the core game from the next cycle onwards

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqZ0sE4WuHM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh wow Ziz put out a glowing rec
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dkfuHO9EIY