Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's just glazed roasted pork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

char siu is pretty easy to make, just note that if you’re looking to get that really well defined red ring, it’s usually faked with food coloring. i’ve used red wine, fermented red bean curd, and red yeast rice and i still only get it to look like the store bought stuff with red food coloring

these days i usually make it in the smoker with fruitwood which gives it a nice smoke ring

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Starbucks has these new potato and chive egg bites but it's cold outside so I made some on my own with some roast potatoes on the side.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Starbucks has these new potato and chive egg bites but it's cold outside so I made some on my own with some roast potatoes on the side.

Those look good, and I enjoy the Starbucks ones. Care to share recipe/technique?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah do you precook the potatoes? they take a lot longer than eggs

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
yeah I peeled and diced some Yukon golds and boiled them in salted water (with a little bit of baking soda) for about 7 minutes.

I find it easier to mix the eggs together separate from the other ingredients and do the mixing inside of each silicone baking cup.

so it's:

1) pour in the whisked eggs
2) add boiled potatoes
3) add grated cheese
4) add chives
5) mix it all around with a chop stick
6) air fry at 400F until it looks done

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
[Cooking] O Bella Chow

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

a head of fresh broccoli unites the human race

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

[looking at buffet appetizers] What Side Are You On?

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!
Going to try making beef short ribs again in the dutch oven. Last time I let them sit too long and it overreduced, I wasn't checking on it because it was just smelling so good

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Short ribs are in the dutch oven. The rest... is up to God :pray:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

went to a place with $36 lasagna tonight. was too cheap to order it but the person next to me did and it was a 'lasagna rotini' deconstruction with a broiled-black top, so they could make them to-order instead of having a pan on hand all evening

the ricotta dessert was yummy tho

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Dokapon Findom posted:

Going to try making beef short ribs again in the dutch oven. Last time I let them sit too long and it overreduced, I wasn't checking on it because it was just smelling so good

Dokapon Findom posted:

Short ribs are in the dutch oven. The rest... is up to God :pray:

I love a good short rib. Please tell us how it turns out.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

i say swears online posted:

went to a place with $36 lasagna tonight. was too cheap to order it but the person next to me did and it was a 'lasagna rotini' deconstruction with a broiled-black top, so they could make them to-order instead of having a pan on hand all evening

the ricotta dessert was yummy tho

the don angie pinwheel lasagna? always thought the pasta cinnabon approach was lazy

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

uninterrupted posted:

the don angie pinwheel lasagna? always thought the pasta cinnabon approach was lazy

nailed it. yeah I didn't appreciate that

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

yeah I peeled and diced some Yukon golds and boiled them in salted water (with a little bit of baking soda) for about 7 minutes.

I find it easier to mix the eggs together separate from the other ingredients and do the mixing inside of each silicone baking cup.

so it's:

1) pour in the whisked eggs
2) add boiled potatoes
3) add grated cheese
4) add chives
5) mix it all around with a chop stick
6) air fry at 400F until it looks done

If you don't have a bunch of silicone baking cups, you can do these easy enough with a greased muffin pan and an oven

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Business Gorillas posted:

If you don't have a bunch of silicone baking cups, you can do these easy enough with a greased muffin pan and an oven

I got a bunch of small lipless glass jars (I think they came from a costco dessert) and fill these up with egg + other stuff and throw em in a sous vide. braindead easy, minimal prep and cleanup, incredible texture, and they keep pretty decently too.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

i did it with a muffin pan one time and even using crisco wasn't enough. it was still a nightmare cleanup.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Short ribs turned out very good this time, just had the last one for lunch. I'll play around with the seasonings a bit but I think I've got it down as far as the basic preparation

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Had tacos Monday night, rolled the dice on taco salad for lunch today. :rolldice: Beef had lost a bit of flavor but otherwise seemed fine.

Tonight I'm making these, they are a staple and one of my favorites:

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/15184/mouth-watering-stuffed-mushrooms/

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I just made a really basic potato salad but I took a lot of care to Do It Right and it really paid off.

I steamed the potatoes in an inch of water for 25 minutes and when I let them cool, the skin just peeled off by hand. sort of amazing.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

I use mini potatoes and leave the skins on.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

what do you all like in your trail mix?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

It's hard to beat the standard peanut/raisin/chocolate in my book

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

but also oats. always oats

muesli is my favorite

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
what’s supposed to be the difference between regular overnight oats and muesli?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

no clue, i eat muesli dry or with immediate milk like it's cereal. i've never done it the 'right' way

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I think it was post, they used to make an americanized muselli called musellix. I miss that stuff

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

i say swears online posted:

no clue, i eat muesli dry or with immediate milk like it's cereal. i've never done it the 'right' way

I used to eat musli dry... felt like a horse in a good way 👍

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

The Voice of Labor posted:

what do you all like in your trail mix?

corn nuts

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
trail

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

mawarannahr posted:

I used to eat musli dry... felt like a horse in a good way 👍

yeah I feel like a beloved pony. need a feedbag

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Made chili last night that I feel is a bit spicy for me, I might halve the chipotles in adobo but otherwise I am somewhat pleased with it. Do you have the balls to make my chili and see what needs improvement?

DOKAPON'S "FINAL LEVEL" FIVE ALARM CHILI posted:

Dried spices to bloom in oil before frying beef:
1 1/2 tsp, crushed - oregano
1 tsp - cumin
1 tsp - smoked paprika
1 tsp - plain chili powder
1 tsp - ancho powder
1 tsp - chipotle powder
1/2 tsp - cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp, crushed - red chili flakes
1/4 tsp - coriander
1/4 tsp - paprika
1/4 tsp - garlic powder
1/8 tsp - onion powder
a few grains - nutmeg

Salts to add to beef while browning:
3/4 tsp - kosher salt
1/4 tsp - table salt
1/4 tsp - ibiza sea salt
1/8 tsp - smoked maldon salt

Wet ingredients added to pot in order, cooked over med-high:
6 tbsp - canola oil
500g/18oz - extra lean ground beef
1 cup, chopped - yellow onion
1 cup, chopped - celery
200g/7oz, sliced - brown cremini mushrooms
1 large, chopped - green pepper
1 large, diced - jalapeno pepper
2 large, diced - red fresno chili pepper
2 cloves, minced - garlic
7oz can incl. sauce, minced - chipotles in adobo
398ml/14oz can incl. liquid - red kidney beans
398ml/14oz can incl. liquid - black beans
796ml/28oz can - diced tomatoes
1 tsp - worcestershire sauce
1 tsp - fish sauce
1/2 tsp - apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp - honey
2 tsp - lime juice

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Dokapon Findom posted:

Made chili last night that I feel is a bit spicy for me, I might halve the chipotles in adobo but otherwise I am somewhat pleased with it. Do you have the balls to make my chili and see what needs improvement?

quote:

1 tsp - fish sauce

:barf:

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

I know people like it though but fish sauce/oyster sauce never appealed to me. Makes me think of the fish factory I used to work at

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

fish sauce or anchovy paste or just anchovies goes in nearly everything.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I wish I could live in ancient rome

*monkeys paw retracts a finger*

*finds self transported to ancient rome but living next to a huge garum factory*

also there's already fish sauce in the wurstishire sauce

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

The Voice of Labor posted:

also there's already fish sauce in the wurstishire sauce
Exactly. :twisted:

Also I would love to try the OG garum. Same with whatever plant everybody liked that Nero ate the last one of

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

pandy fackler has issued a correction as of 06:48 on Mar 22, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

i made fried rice tonight and used a little fish sauce. poo poo smells like death, but if you can get over the initial funk when it hits a hot pan, it does add a lot of flavor imo