Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
That's not how that works in my local sports clip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

I can’t loving stand all the gambling commercials

No media is worth experiencing even a single ad for.

My pihole no longer blocks the ads on the news app on my Roku. I valued it, it had local news clips and weather, but out it fuckin goes bc I am not watching or hearing any ads.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Back to the "getting in queue for places online", I have no clue what the gently caress is going on with some places. My 5 year old needed a haircut and the weather was about to turn lovely so I just found some SportsClips nearby that was open on Sunday. Registered an account through their website and "got in line" through their system. Haircut was at 3:45 so it said to be there at 3:30. I rolled up at 3:30 and sat down with about 10 other people in the waiting area. There was no cashier/clerk person, so after half an hour I went to one of the stylists and said, "Hey, I scheduled an appointment for 3:45. Any idea what time a stylist will be available?"

The lady checked the system and was like "Oh, you were supposed to schedule an appointment when you came in". I told her I had scheduled one for 3:45 online, and she said "Oh that doesn't schedule an appointment it just sets you up to come in here and sign in on that kiosk over there". I asked what the point of doing it online was, and she said "It saves time for when you actually get here and need to schedule the appointment time".

What the gently caress. So I'm giving them my email to say "Hey, just a heads up I'll be in around 3:30 and then I will want to schedule a haircut?"

I've never had that happen before. When I sign in online I have my spot saved. I've gone in to places like Great Clips and there's 5 people already waiting there and I walk through the door and the first thing they ask is "did you check in online?" They check, I did, I'm in front of all of those people.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Cactus Ghost posted:

online ordering sucks rear end. it takes fifteen seconds and one button press to order a pizza by phone and i can just pay when i pick it up. it takes bare minimum five minutes to order through some cokehead UX's latest fuckup and i have to type my fuckin cc info into some text field i cant see because zooming out is disabled on the mobile site for no god drat reason

I like how people lie to themselves about the superiority of what their present way of doing things so that they don't have to change. I get it you get comfortable doing something a certain way, and so flaws are ignored/underplayed while the new things issues are overplayed. This applies to pretty much everything by the way. Electric cars dealt with a whole lot of "I need to go 5000 miles uphill both ways in the snow every day". Video games suffer from antiquated mechanics being considered crucial.

That sounds like a cellphone aps/websites suck poo poo complaint more than an online ordering sucks complaint. Sure. Absolutely. Bad UI is bad. I use our local state service mostly and they aren't perfect but it's not covered in ads (gee why are these chains on top) and I don't think they have any ghost kitchens on it.

edit: It doesn't matter anyway because both online ordering and phone calls can exist in the same reality.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 22, 2024

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Normalization of online ordering just makes it more difficult to get into a space. Just to take a CC in a PCI compliant manner is bucks. Without SEO and reliability experts you won't show up in searches.

A place that 100% does not take an online order is likely to be a lot better food than shop that doesn't, for likely less. Bonus points for cash only with their own driver that shows up carrying.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Back when I used to go to IRL barbers there was a just a chalkboard next to the door where you write your name to get in line lol.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I just have a Mexican dude I text that lines me up

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

On more than one occasion I've gone to Chipotle only to be turned away at the counter because they were only fulfilling online orders at the time. Being spontaneous is tougher than it used to be.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Car Hater posted:

It's simple. We uh kill the shareholders.

*Pencil trick but with a whole keyboard*

Congrats you now have to replace them and the replacements will do the same thing because you have not addressed the deeper problem of a mode of production based on assets compounding themselves

This is a perennial problem with consumerist critiques of capitalism, they're all "I want to get rid of only those parts of capitalism that burden me, a global north labor aristocrat". Getting rid of capitalism also means all the luxuries this thread is about don't just get enshittified, but go away, forever.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jan 22, 2024

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

SettingSun posted:

On more than one occasion I've gone to Chipotle only to be turned away at the counter because they were only fulfilling online orders at the time. Being spontaneous is tougher than it used to be.

went to a popeyes a few months ago and they locked the doors while we were still inside, at like 3 pm on a weekday

or an arbys that wasn't doing orders at the counter because they had "just washed the seats/tables"

underpaid, understaffed

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

TotalLossBrain posted:

That's not how that works in my local sports clip.

I’m assuming I was supposed to go in and “check in to the store” when I came in, and I did not do that and instead just sat down waiting for half an hour.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe

Zamujasa posted:

underpaid, understaffed

aka "we're making plenty of money as-is, therefore no problem detected"

I think this era of capitalism will go down in history as the "just how much can we gently caress around before we actually have to find out" phase.

Unfortunately I think it's a lot. I think people in general are willing to put up with a huge amount of bullshit. People want what they want, and if they want popeyes they're not gonna go to kfc for the most part.

Covid really opened companies' eyes as to how much they can really screw people at the end of the day.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

:argh:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Cosmik Debris posted:

aka "we're making plenty of money as-is, therefore no problem detected"

I think this era of capitalism will go down in history as the "just how much can we gently caress around before we actually have to find out" phase.

Unfortunately I think it's a lot. I think people in general are willing to put up with a huge amount of bullshit. People want what they want, and if they want popeyes they're not gonna go to kfc for the most part.

Covid really opened companies' eyes as to how much they can really screw people at the end of the day.

I think we've handed too much power to capital and short of black death 30% mortality type event we won't have the will to fight back and they'll keep twisting the screws until we have whatever comes after cyberpunk dystopia. The matrix maybe, but with ads.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Outrail posted:

I think we've handed too much power to capital and short of black death 30% mortality type event we won't have the will to fight back and they'll keep twisting the screws until we have whatever comes after cyberpunk dystopia. The matrix maybe, but with ads.

so…. potential upside to possible impending ww3? nah who am i kidding, it is accelerationist folly to think global catastrophe will do anything but further entrench the ruling class. it would make me feel better if i knew about any concerted efforts to get humanity back on a less suicidal path instead of slowly coasting into the abyss

just tired of everything getting shittier man

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Outrail posted:

Nah we're just gonna keep going business as usual with this until we physically can't sustain agriculture enough to feed people, then the global population dies back. This keeps going until there isn't a global economy anymore, and people just huddle in the few habitable places still burning every hydrocarbon they possibly can.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Woolie Wool posted:

Congrats you now have to replace them and the replacements will do the same thing because you have not addressed the deeper problem of a mode of production based on assets compounding themselves

I mean, did you run out of bullets?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

withak posted:

Back when I used to go to IRL barbers there was a just a chalkboard next to the door where you write your name to get in line lol.

I bring my kids to a middle eastern guy and basically we just sit down and wait. It's a no appointment place that only cuts men. 15€ per kid is worth it vs. me doing it myself (I've cut their hair plenty of times)

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Lol at going to the barber. https://flowbee.com/

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jan 23, 2024

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Atopian posted:

I mean, did you run out of bullets?

You cannot kill an economy or a way of life with bullets, capitalism is not a matter of Bad People doing the Bad Things, that is a completely idealist approach that, even if "successful" leads to a circular revolution where the revolutionaries do the same thing the original regime did, because their economy demands it.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Duck and Cover posted:

I like how people lie to themselves about the superiority of what their present way of doing things so that they don't have to change. I get it you get comfortable doing something a certain way, and so flaws are ignored/underplayed while the new things issues are overplayed. This applies to pretty much everything by the way. Electric cars dealt with a whole lot of "I need to go 5000 miles uphill both ways in the snow every day". Video games suffer from antiquated mechanics being considered crucial.

That sounds like a cellphone aps/websites suck poo poo complaint more than an online ordering sucks complaint. Sure. Absolutely. Bad UI is bad. I use our local state service mostly and they aren't perfect but it's not covered in ads (gee why are these chains on top) and I don't think they have any ghost kitchens on it.

edit: It doesn't matter anyway because both online ordering and phone calls can exist in the same reality.

which part was a lie, nerd

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Duck and Cover posted:

Yeah I just give myself a #2 buzz at home now.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
Lol @ the late 2000s website but early 90s video

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
Flip top caps for bottles: manufacturers have shrinkflated the plastic density in the caps down so low that the caps self destruct halfway through the bottle if you open even slightly off-axis.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Duck and Cover posted:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Woolie Wool posted:

You cannot kill an economy or a way of life with bullets,

You can with enough bullets, it's one of the more straightforward ways to do a genocide

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Cactus Ghost posted:

which part was a lie, nerd

It's okay the technology doesn't bite, yet.

withak posted:

Yeah I just give myself a #2 buzz at home now.

I use clippers, a 1-2 depending on my whims (and whatever guide happens to be convenient) . I like my hair short so it dries and I do not like going to the barber because I'm lazy and it's boring.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 23, 2024

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
My hair stylist (that's right, stylist, not "barber", I'm a fancy lad :smug:) has moved studios like three times since I started going to get and it always take me too long to find where she went so I end up with a haircut NOT from her in the interim and I hate it. :mad:

I hope she stays with her current place a longer amount of time. But the new place is even more independent than the last couple she was at. You can't schedule an appointment through the studio, you have to go through the stylist themselves. With her, it's through IG, so now I have to follow her on IG.

At least I'll (probably) notice if/when she goes somewhere else?

But she's worth it. Like...she's the first person that's given me a haircut I actually LIKE vs barbers/"Supercuts" style "Eh, it's fine, I guess, I probably could have done that myself with clippers and a #3 guard."

Plus, she's licensed to do straight razor shaves. It's very soothing getting the ol' hot towel, warm shaving foam, shave.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The pro move is to go to someone’s house for a hair cut

But maybe that’s only a sketchy rural thing

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Duck and Cover posted:

For better or worse, these are one and the same.

"The Internet Sucks Now" isn't a complaint directed at the technical capabilities and protocols behind it - it's a complaint directed at the user experience, and how it's being monetized. Yes, theoretically we could have a way better Internet and way better Pizza Ordering App and a way better DMV website... But we don't. And the forces in play have basically made it so we can't. These things don't exist and they won't exist for a complex web of problems and the end results is Online Ordering sucks.

A lot of this poo poo you just can't fix and it is what it is. Sometimes you can fix it though - An example of this is something like a phone app to control your stupid smart bulbs in your house. The app sucks. It requires an account. It works kinda. Updates break func. Managing your smart bulbs with the lovely app on your lovely phone is a lovely experience... But to solve this, I built my own app for my desktop to manage my hue bulbs with the features and UX I want - now managing it is awesome. The difference between me having hue bulbs or not in my house came down entirely to, 'does this have an API?'

The vast, vast majority of people designing phone apps and webpages loving suck and I can wax philosophical about why this is and how you would fix it but it doesn't really matter because no matter how much I complain about it on twitter, it's not going to stop yet another app putting one menu option behind a lovely oversized hamburger menu.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

The vast, vast majority of people designing phone apps and webpages loving suck

And the developers get the blame :(

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
all that

or

light switch and call restaurant using paper menu from restaurant

(also, hope you can find the restaurant's real phone number and not doordash's man-in-the-middle attack call center)

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Quote-Unquote posted:

Yeah - they do. The pile of people doing front end design aren't trying to pitch better designs and argue for a retreat from the nonsense that has been the last 10 years of crap. I get to argue with these people on what seems like a weekly basis about information density and button layout and it drives me absolutely insane.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Greg12 posted:

all that

or

light switch and call restaurant using paper menu from restaurant

(also, hope you can find the restaurant's real phone number and not doordash's man-in-the-middle attack call center)

Despite using phone apps I miss the drawer full of paper takeout menus

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
All I ask from a local restaurant (besides actually offering food) is to have a very simple website with their menu and CURRENT prices on it. So many places here don't even have a website or they have a FB page where they posted a helpful customer's pic of their menu 5 years ago. I don't trust Door Dash/Grub Hub menus in the least bit. Most of the time poo poo on the menu isn't even spelled correctly or the punctuation or some other minor thing is off that I've been trained to notice as a scam since the internet existed. Triggers the red flag alert in my brain.

Incidentally, I was upset that my favorite taqueria's website ceased to exist so when I drove past a while back I stopped to get a paper menu and they didn't even have that. The worker didn't know they ever had a website (place has been around at least 5 years). They changed it to a wall board with everything they've always had on the menu printed professionally but big white spaces to change the prices ad hoc.

It's not the end of the world of course but just frustrating. Whenever I go to a restaurant these days I always check the menu at home first to figure out what they have and what I might want. Sometimes even if I've been there 20 times.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 24, 2024

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Quote-Unquote posted:

Well who else are you going to blame? The business parasites? You can't do that they provide really good value with ideas like "make the product cheaper" and "do we really need this many employees being paid this much?".

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

As someone who does ui's for a living (albeit for weapons and not restaurants) I will say that I have no input whatsoever into how the interface looks, I have a lovely design document I work off of which has widgets designed by systems engineers in ms paint that was reviewed and approved a year ago.

they look awful and are universally loathed but the inertia is there and they serve their purpose, so the powers that be don't want to pay for a redesign.

Restaurant uis are almost always some prepackaged system and the restaurant itself rarely has a ton of control over precisely how they look. And even if they did, they don't care.

Cosmik Debris fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jan 24, 2024

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

All I ask from a local restaurant (besides actually offering food) is to have a very simple website with their menu and CURRENT prices on it. So many places here don't even have a website or they have a FB page where they posted a helpful customer's pic of their menu 5 years ago. I don't trust Door Dash/Grub Hub menus in the least bit. Most of the time poo poo on the menu isn't even spelled correctly or the punctuation or some other minor thing is off that I've been trained to notice as a scam since the internet existed. Triggers the red flag alert in my brain.

Incidentally, I was upset that my favorite taqueria's website ceased to exist so when I drove past a while back I stopped to get a paper menu and they didn't even have that. The worker didn't know they ever had a website (place has been around at least 5 years). They changed it to a wall board with everything they've always had on the menu printed professionally but big white spaces to change the prices ad hoc.

It's not the end of the world of course but just frustrating. Whenever I go to a restaurant these days I always check the menu at home first to figure out what they have and what I might want. Sometimes even if I've been there 20 times.
Local pizza place changed their website to just say "call for pricing." Haven't ordered from them since.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Just opened a package of press n seal and it's about half as thick as the last time I bought it probably six months ago. Now it sticks to itself but somehow not whatever it is being used to cover. It cost a dollar more. Very cool shrinkflation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I like the online systems that just plug directly into the store POS system and give you options like "DO NOT MAKE"