Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

this is the usual part where i ask "is there a source for this beyond some random loving Tweet"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Coward.

Make claims on Inner Mongolia.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Zamujasa posted:

this is the usual part where i ask "is there a source for this beyond some random loving Tweet"

Follow up tweets have reciepts.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Prediction: Even if that unsourced tweet is made up, at some point he's going to declare that the dissolution of the Soviet Union was illegal, and that all the former SSRs are illegally occupied Russian territory and he is now the General Secretary.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Vladimir trying to reprise the Battle of Tsushima on his playlist of Imperial Russia's greatest hits.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

bulletsponge13 posted:

Follow up tweets have reciepts.

if you don't have a twitter account you can't see anything other than the embed.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Zamujasa posted:

if you don't have a twitter account you can't see anything other than the embed.

My bad.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i popped it into nitter to read the whole thread.

first: this guy is a bluecheck bozo with this incredible profile:

quote:

News Aggregating, Information warfare, Soft power, Social engineering.

#NAFO #EU #INTERMARIUM

News from Baltic to Black Sea
Intermarium24.eu
Joined April 2022

the only websites he links to are https://essanews.com/putin-stokes-tensions-with-us-declares-1867-sale-of-alaska-illegal,6987041965938817a, which doesn't even have its own "about us" link, everything forwards you to an entirely different website: https://holding.wp.pl/en/terms-of-service

i'm not buying this poo poo until an actual reputable source shows up.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Elviscat posted:

Vladimir trying to reprise the Battle of Tsushima on his playlist of Imperial Russia's greatest hits.

Can’t believe only recently did I learn about that. Lost their original fleet so gotta send the Baltic fleet 18,000 miles. Immediately attack neutral British fishing boats in the North Sea in case Japan has teleported torpedo boats across the globe & almost bring them into the war, and now you can’t use their coaling stations on the half year journey. Arrive and lose all 11 battleships so decisively the Japanese put their flagship in a museum.

Also was fascinating how during that war Japan was praised for benevolent treatment of prisoners to the degree they got praise from the Red Cross, bummer that didn’t stick.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
I took a class on Russian history in undergrad and referred to the Battle of Tsushima as an "unplanned expedition to map the sea floor" on the final.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I’d call that a savage burn, but the ships helpfully went underwater and put themselves out :)

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Can’t believe only recently did I learn about that. Lost their original fleet so gotta send the Baltic fleet 18,000 miles. Immediately attack neutral British fishing boats in the North Sea in case Japan has teleported torpedo boats across the globe & almost bring them into the war, and now you can’t use their coaling stations on the half year journey. Arrive and lose all 11 battleships so decisively the Japanese put their flagship in a museum.

Also was fascinating how during that war Japan was praised for benevolent treatment of prisoners to the degree they got praise from the Red Cross, bummer that didn’t stick.

You forgot the monkey bites.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
20,000 Leagues, Under the Sea

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Britain’s football probably wasn’t involved.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Milo and POTUS posted:

20,000 Leagues, Under the Sea

SPONGE BOB SQUARE PANTS!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kazinsal posted:

Prediction: Even if that unsourced tweet is made up, at some point he's going to declare that the dissolution of the Soviet Union was illegal, and that all the former SSRs are illegally occupied Russian territory and he is now the General Secretary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBMeMrPuQyU

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

facialimpediment posted:

Meatball Ron dropped out in advance of New Hampshire, RIP to the candidate that would've probably been even worse than Donnie (if that's possible) and lol he's endorsing Donnie too

He should be forced to carry his campaign to term. I stole this.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Considering everything else The Simpsons predicted, I'm now certain of this outcome.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
finally found the sleepy Joe Biden that everyone's always talking about on my teevee

https://twitter.com/AlexThomp/status/1749432442258083882?t=AbHwlsnyCPeUZLpSVK6z1Q&s=19

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/itsJeffTiedrich/status/1749163199578964233?t=qwssYcBwNd21OXGElp1aTA&s=19

:hmmyes:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

facialimpediment posted:

finally found the sleepy Joe Biden that everyone's always talking about on my teevee

https://twitter.com/AlexThomp/status/1749432442258083882?t=AbHwlsnyCPeUZLpSVK6z1Q&s=19

That has to be a felony, right?

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
More cynically, I am guessing "not actually a crime and we have depended on decorum thus far"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Discussion Quorum posted:

More cynically, I am guessing "not actually a crime and we have depended on decorum thus far"

There is no indication of where the robocall is from so that is at least a violation of some sort.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

A.o.D. posted:

That has to be a felony, right?

Definitely illegal under New Hampshire law at a minimum. The same kind of thing got Jacob Wohl / Jack Burkman busted. Some New Hampshire Republicans were also prosecuted for something similar back in 2002, for loving with a Democratic call center: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_New_Hampshire_Senate_election_phone_jamming_scandal

Considering how everyone has AI on the brain, the NHAG is probably going to be on it real quick, even though he was a Republican nominee.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

Considering everything else The Simpsons predicted, I'm now certain of this outcome.

That basically happened in February of 2022. The casus belli was "this was ours during the Soviet empire, we're bringing that back", the only thing missing is even a vague attempt at bringing the communism back. Putin wants all the land, power and "prestige" of the past empire but zero of the ideology. So alas, no zombie Lenin which is a tragedy.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Huh.

https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1749523116294914213

I really don't have much outside of that. Not surprised by Roberts, really surprised by Barrett.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I don't believe in that social media influencer dumb fake psychological manifesting poo poo.

Just saying that Donnie's rape liability trial is dismissed until Wednesday because a juror was nauseous on the way in and sent home. Also, Donnie's lawyer Alina Habba was feverish in court, right next to him maskless, after being exposed to her parents with COVID. Donnie's also doing a lot of in-person events with chuds everywhere.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Just lol, lmao if Diaper Don events continue to be super spreaders this many years after the onset of the pandemic

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I was told that Donald John Trump was the healthiest man ever to run for president.

Why would he be afraid of a cold? :confused:

P.S.: The judge should totally “mod challenge” him to gargle bleach.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

inject

Also neva 4get

https://youtu.be/UJNFkNEgLXQ?si=vxFfc4gz-Am-FyZX

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

facialimpediment posted:

Definitely illegal under New Hampshire law at a minimum. The same kind of thing got Jacob Wohl / Jack Burkman busted. Some New Hampshire Republicans were also prosecuted for something similar back in 2002, for loving with a Democratic call center: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_New_Hampshire_Senate_election_phone_jamming_scandal

Considering how everyone has AI on the brain, the NHAG is probably going to be on it real quick, even though he was a Republican nominee.

What if this is Jacob Wohl again? That would be stupid, so I'm betting on it.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
lol

Most Americans Would Discourage Young People from Joining Military as Enlisted Service Members, Report Says

quote:

Most Americans would discourage a young person close to them from enlisting in the military, but a wide majority would encourage them to join as an officer, according to a new Rand Corp. study published this week.

The study found that 54.4% of respondents would dissuade a 17-year-old relative from joining the military as an enlisted service member, though nearly two-thirds of Americans would encourage them to go the officer route, either through a service academy or the Reserve Officer Training Corps, also known as ROTC.

The study comes amid one of the worst recruiting periods the all-volunteer military has known, with most branches failing to meet goals for signing Americans up to serve. Meanwhile, Rand also analyzed public perceptions of veterans, which were "overwhelmingly positive," according to the report.

The report cited the services' current recruiting crisis as a reflection of public perception about the military, with dwindling confidence in the armed forces, the end of the war in Afghanistan, politicization of the military, and polarization of the general public all as contributors to wavering esteem for a typically bulletproof institution.

"At the same time, military propensity -- the likelihood that young Americans will enlist in the military -- and general confidence in the military are declining just as the number of veterans dwindles," the study said. "More than two years out from the end of the longest war in U.S. history, these trends raise important and pressing questions about public perceptions of the military and uniformed service."

The study found that Democrats are less likely than Republicans to encourage a young person they know to enlist in the military, but both are relatively on the same track in encouraging them to join via the officer route.

Rand also found that holding negative views about veterans is associated with a lower chance of encouraging a young person to enlist. Respondents who have served in the military themselves were more likely than their civilian counterparts to believe that most Americans look down on the armed forces, according to the study.

It measured certain veteran stereotypes, both negative and positive.

Some positive stereotypes included veterans being self-disciplined, loyal, practical and responsible. Negative stereotypes included being "cold," volatile and unsociable. Most Americans, depending on the stereotype measured, endorsed positive perceptions of veterans, though responses varied based on age and demographic.

Nearly 80% of respondents said that veterans were self-disciplined, while 20% said that veterans were aggressive.

"Negative stereotypes can lead to stigma and discrimination, which is the behavioral manifestation of such beliefs," the study said. "For example, if veterans are thought to suffer from war-induced mental illness, then individuals might avoid interactions with them. But stereotypes do not merely shape the perceptions and behaviors of those who hold them; they can also affect the stereotyped themselves, culminating most problematically in self-stigmatization."

The Rand report was somewhat at odds with another study from the Ronald Reagan Presidential Foundation and Institute, which was published last month. It said that a slim majority of Americans would encourage friends and family to join the military.

Rand conducted its work for the report in February and June of 2022.

lmao

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Nodding along like that Jack Nicholson meme until the officer line

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Lemniscate Blue posted:

lol

Most Americans Would Discourage Young People from Joining Military as Enlisted Service Members, Report Says

"Some positive stereotypes included veterans being self-disciplined, loyal, practical and responsible. Negative stereotypes included being "cold," volatile and unsociable. Most Americans, depending on the stereotype measured, endorsed positive perceptions of veterans, though responses varied based on age and demographic.'

lmao

If me being a broken brained rear end in a top hat keeps some kid from ending up exposed to as much blast as I have by encouraging them to not enlist, good. Unless they're an rear end in a top hat, then I think its funny.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I try not to tell people how awesome it _can_ be and only talk about the crap stuff. Regardless of what I’ve talked about here I have had some low moments but it simply doesn’t compete with most of you.

Btw I’ll be in Hawaii next week for 20 days if anyone want to meet up for a beer.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
That's a long week

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Crab Dad posted:

I try not to tell people how awesome it _can_ be and only talk about the crap stuff. Regardless of what I’ve talked about here I have had some low moments but it simply doesn’t compete with most of you.

Btw I’ll be in Hawaii next week for 20 days if anyone want to meet up for a beer.

Hawaii for 20 loving days? Dude that's loving awesome, have fun!

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Surprised it's that high. It probably speaks to the people around me more than anything, but the only positive sentiment I've heard from parents about their children potentially enlisting is "well, if they really have nothing else going on, it may be the least bad option. sure hope we don't start another pointless war while they're in."

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/RonDeSantis/status/1749600095413145890?t=-DRXMBAbBZ3OlvPbVYgbow&s=19

I feel like I'm as confused as he is at this point.

e-
https://twitter.com/BidenHQ/status/1749638608577761385

I feel like I'm as confused as he is at this point.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jan 23, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
My girlfriend's 17 year old is heavily leaning towards enlisting. His dad who is still a Marine and myself are more or less ok with it, but we've both told him to get into something that will be useful in the real world when he gets out. We'll see how it goes if he actually does it.