Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Lemming posted:

Prosecutors aren't suddenly good people because they're prosecuting people you hate. They're still cops.

Can you quote the person or people you're talking to instead of just baiting the entire thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

They aren’t good, but they are useful, which is the best we can hope for.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
"Oh so you like the rule of law? Fuckin' cop loving boot licker!"

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Odafin Tutuola is good.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Lemming posted:

Prosecutors aren't suddenly good people because they're prosecuting people you hate. They're still cops.

Especially Fani Willis, whose prior big achievement was putting a bunch of low level teachers in jail because they were coerced into altering test scores by their supervisors.

Note: the chief architect of that cheating scheme also escaped charges. Died of cancer before she could be brought to trial.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Fart Amplifier posted:

Can you quote the person or people you're talking to instead of just baiting the entire thread

People are debating the specifics of random, pointless allegations like how many hotel rooms were purchased and whether that's convincing evidence of some dumb affair, and it seems like it's largely because Trump is behind them and he's a huge piece of poo poo. The appropriate response is

Dietrich posted:

Who gives a poo poo

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Lemming posted:

People are debating the specifics of random, pointless allegations like how many hotel rooms were purchased and whether that's convincing evidence of some dumb affair, and it seems like it's largely because Trump is behind them and he's a huge piece of poo poo. The appropriate response is

So you were arguing against something nobody said. This thread needs fewer people trying to start BS derails for no reason.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Fart Amplifier posted:

So you were arguing against something nobody said. This thread needs fewer people trying to start BS derails for no reason.

Are we reading the same thread? Go to the last page, it's literally full of a discussion of whether a specific allegation of booking two rooms is either evidence for or against having an affair

selec posted:

It’s also not what I’d call extremely convincing evidence that they weren’t. That’s basic “the expenses system will flag if we sent two people but only got one room” level opsec if they were carrying on.

If this does end up blowing the case, though…woof!

Randalor posted:

Honestly, some of the expenses that the accusors say show they're in a relationship just don't make sense, like booking two rooms at a hotel.

The point is that the allegations don't matter, there's no proof of anything either way, and it doesn't really matter because we don't even know if the allegations being true or not make any differences at all

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Caros posted:

Famously when I have an affair I make sure that we have two hotel rooms to not sleep together in.

One room for loving one room for sleeping. No one wants the wet spot.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Lemming posted:

The point is that the allegations don't matter, there's no proof of anything either way, and it doesn't really matter because we don't even know if the allegations being true or not make any differences at all

Exactly, why do we give a poo poo if one person and another person are loving or not, stop falling into Trump's trap of getting distracted by meaningless bullshit and talking about that instead of being laser focused on his attempt to overthrow democracy.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Lemming posted:

Are we reading the same thread? Go to the last page, it's literally full of a discussion of whether a specific allegation of booking two rooms is either evidence for or against having an affair

You could have just argued that (relevant) instead of arguing against the separate argument that nobody made about prosecutors being good people.

Arguing against the whole thread about a vague point that nobody has made is lazy and setting up for a derail.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Fart Amplifier posted:

You could have just argued that (relevant) instead of arguing against the separate argument that nobody made about prosecutors being good people.

Arguing against the whole thread about a vague point that nobody has made is lazy and setting up for a derail.

Dude, come on. People will reflexively want to disagree with people they hate. That's human nature. The accusations are, essentially, that she's a sleazy hosed up person who you shouldn't trust because of how morally corrupt she is. The honest truth is that most prosecutors are in fact morally corrupt, and trying to refute accusations against her character just because they're coming from Trump are probably wrongheaded.

I would view these kinds of reflexive defenses more kindly if they weren't for a cop.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Lemming posted:

Dude, come on. People will reflexively want to disagree with people they hate. That's human nature. The accusations are, essentially, that she's a sleazy hosed up person who you shouldn't trust because of how morally corrupt she is. The honest truth is that most prosecutors are in fact morally corrupt, and trying to refute accusations against her character just because they're coming from Trump are probably wrongheaded.

I would view these kinds of reflexive defenses more kindly if they weren't for a cop.

So you were actually trying to start an argument but you're too chickenshit to do it?

I don't think anyone is defending Willis because we think prosecutors are moral pillars of the community. Go pick a fight in C-SPAM.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
People could also just want to be discussing the situation because of its relevance to politics. Dunno why we have to flash our ACAB bonafides

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Xiahou Dun posted:

So you were actually trying to start an argument but you're too chickenshit to do it?

I don't think anyone is defending Willis because we think prosecutors are moral pillars of the community. Go pick a fight in C-SPAM.

People are reflexively defending Willis because she's prosecuting Trump, which is what I just said

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Especially Fani Willis, whose prior big achievement was putting a bunch of low level teachers in jail because they were coerced into altering test scores by their supervisors.

Note: the chief architect of that cheating scheme also escaped charges. Died of cancer before she could be brought to trial.

And it looks like the heuristic is still correct lol https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlanta_Public_Schools_cheating_scandal

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Scratch Monkey posted:

"Oh so you like the rule of law? Fuckin' cop loving boot licker!"

I mean it's a hell of a concept, I'd love to see it in practice to be able to make any judgments about if it's all it's cracked up to be though.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Lemming posted:

People are reflexively defending Willis because she's prosecuting Trump, which is what I just said

And it looks like the heuristic is still correct lol https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlanta_Public_Schools_cheating_scandal

No?

I can't speak for the whole thread, but I'm just commenting on whether things are true. I'm under no illusions that Willis is anything besides temporarily useful in that she might do some good as part of her own selfish ends.

If you just assume everyone is an emotional child, it says a lot more about you than it does humanity.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Xiahou Dun posted:

No?

I can't speak for the whole thread, but I'm just commenting on whether things are true. I'm under no illusions that Willis is anything besides temporarily useful in that she might do some good as part of her own selfish ends.

If you just assume everyone is an emotional child, it says a lot more about you than it does humanity.

And if you assume most people aren't largely driven by emotion you're naive

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Lemming posted:

You certainly seem emotionally motivated to pick a fight no one wants to have.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It’s just a knowledge vacuum and that drives people nuts. Accusations with minimal evidence and no response yet.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Alina Habba is out sick because she had dinner recently with her parents who both have tested positive for covid.
https://www.reuters.com/world/us/e-jean-carroll-trial-against-donald-trump-is-postponed-2024-01-22/

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

OgNar posted:

Alina Habba is out sick because she had dinner recently with her parents who both have tested positive for covid.
https://www.reuters.com/world/us/e-jean-carroll-trial-against-donald-trump-is-postponed-2024-01-22/

You fool, you rube, can't you see this is a Demokkkkrat ploy to throw the NH primary to Nikki Haley????

https://twitter.com/EliseStefanik/status/1749454981617394015

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Lemming posted:

I can assure you that no-one either in or watching the thread gives a single solitary gently caress about the moral character of any of these people except you. The only reason anyone is talking about any of this is that if the affair did happen, then it would have the potential to derail a major part of Trump's prosecution via a stupid Georgian law about conflicts of interest.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It feels weird praising post-Musk Twitter, but the "readers added context" feature is extremely good and funny

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

pumpinglemma posted:

I can assure you that no-one either in or watching the thread gives a single solitary gently caress about the moral character of any of these people except you. The only reason anyone is talking about any of this is that if the affair did happen, then it would have the potential to derail a major part of Trump's prosecution via a stupid Georgian law about conflicts of interest.

My concern is that it's more of a "Caesar's wife must be above suspicion" situation because if it is shady in anyway, the press will ignore the other cases to focus on that, the right wing propaganda machine will make sure that's all anyone hears about, and the morons who vote in the country will be like "I heard that Biden gave the case to his girlfriend or something".

Hell even if it's all above board, if there is a single irregularity or snag in the case that can be mis-explained to idiots, they are going to peg everything on it. The GA case always made me more nervous because I trust DoJ's meticulous work and vast resources, I do not trust county officials who wouldn't mind gaining a national profile out of all of this.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

haveblue posted:

It feels weird praising post-Musk Twitter, but the "readers added context" feature is extremely good and funny

It's shocking it hasn't been unceremoniously destroyed because of how much it dunks on Apartheid Clyde and friends.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

zoux posted:

My concern is that it's more of a "Caesar's wife must be above suspicion" situation because if it is shady in anyway, the press will ignore the other cases to focus on that, the right wing propaganda machine will make sure that's all anyone hears about, and the morons who vote in the country will be like "I heard that Biden gave the case to his girlfriend or something".

Hell even if it's all above board, if there is a single irregularity or snag in the case that can be mis-explained to idiots, they are going to peg everything on it. The GA case always made me more nervous because I trust DoJ's meticulous work and vast resources, I do not trust county officials who wouldn't mind gaining a national profile out of all of this.

They’re always going to “find” something because they’re not trying to have an honest discussion of corruption. They’re more than happy to just make poo poo up.

It’s certainly not ideal, but it was always a question of when not if.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Xiahou Dun posted:

They’re always going to “find” something because they’re not trying to have an honest discussion of corruption. They’re more than happy to just make poo poo up.

It’s certainly not ideal, but it was always a question of when not if.

I don't buy that reasoning because it says that there is nothing that Fani Willis could do, for good or ill, that will change the coverage and opposing political strategy around it. I just don't think that's true.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Well, if they want it to matter, they have to find enough evidence to convince a judge. Some poo poo they made up out of whole cloth isn't going to get her whole office kicked off the case. This is a trial, not an election.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

zoux posted:

I don't buy that reasoning because it says that there is nothing that Fani Willis could do, for good or ill, that will change the coverage and opposing political strategy around it. I just don't think that's true.

Did you miss the part where we’re still dealing with people who think there’s a child-murdering rape dungeon in the non-existent basement of a pizza restaurant.

It’s unfair, I can see why you’d balk at it, but that’s the nature of the right wing outrage-grift complex. At no point in the cycle does it care if things are true or not, as evidenced by how all of it is all already hilariously false.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

Well, if they want it to matter, they have to find enough evidence to convince a judge. Some poo poo they made up out of whole cloth isn't going to get her whole office kicked off the case. This is a trial, not an election.

Again. It’s all about the election. Trump doesn’t give a poo poo about the actual case if he can convince his supporters to be outraged enough to turn out.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Murgos posted:

Again. It’s all about the election. Trump doesn’t give a poo poo about the actual case if he can convince his supporters to be outraged enough to turn out.

They'd make poo poo up if it didn't exist. This particular stuff is irrelevant.

The case is what matters at this point.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Deteriorata posted:

They'd make poo poo up if it didn't exist. This particular stuff is irrelevant.

The case is what matters at this point.

I think pretty clearly they’ve made up poo poo with the thinest veneer or plausibility they can generate. The actual motion makes no claim with legal merit this is entirely about the media cycle.

Delaying the outcome of the case long enough while generating enough outrage is their point.

Fani getting removed from the case would be great for them but it’s not what constitutes a win. One more cycle of owning the media, one more cycle of yet another outrage (never mind the facts) is the goal. By the time a judge ruled on it there is actually any there here we will be galloping onto the next outrageous allegation of impropriety.

Is it a bad strategy? We will find out but that’s what they are doing.

Caros
May 14, 2008

https://x.com/AnnaBower/status/1749577488429138430?s=20
https://x.com/AnnaBower/status/1749577490048127322?s=20
https://x.com/AnnaBower/status/1749582715085545762?s=20

So apparently the divorce proceedings got unsealed today, and at a glance there isn't really anything of substance. No extra details in them beyond the credit card stuff that we already know of that was fairly flimsy to begin with.

Given that this was supposedly where you could find the evidence, I'm definitely curious what Roman's argument is going to be when this gets to court in mid-February.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

saltylopez posted:

So are the federal judges required to coordinate their trial dates? If a person had the means to commit 50 different federal crimes in 50 different jurisdictions, wouldn't they at some point possibly have to stand trial at two courts at once?

I could understand the coordination as a courtesy but if Cannon continually delays from May up to past the election does that mean that Chutkan cannot use June-October for a trial date?

I've been wondering the same thing and trying to figure out how this might work out for me if I had 50 drug, domestic abuse, robbery, extortion and assault charges facing me combined but there were just so many across so many jurisdictions that the courts had to figure out how to line me up.

But this is a microcosm of what Trump does. His bullshit is just constant and entirely based around sheer attrition and the loving gall it takes to do it. People in this thread as well as others often are like "oh, poo poo, yeah. I forgot when he asked Russia to interfere in the election" and "oh, christ, that's right. He actually admitted to ____________ that one time."

He's just the world's largest, most shameless giant ball of constant dishonest criminal bullshit that even the people that pay attention to it all the time can't keep up with it.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Caros posted:

https://x.com/AnnaBower/status/1749577488429138430?s=20
https://x.com/AnnaBower/status/1749577490048127322?s=20
https://x.com/AnnaBower/status/1749582715085545762?s=20

So apparently the divorce proceedings got unsealed today, and at a glance there isn't really anything of substance. No extra details in them beyond the credit card stuff that we already know of that was fairly flimsy to begin with.

Given that this was supposedly where you could find the evidence, I'm definitely curious what Roman's argument is going to be when this gets to court in mid-February.

Lol.

I feel silly for giving it the limited amount of my attention I did.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Now they need to sanction Roman's lawyer for bringing a spurious motion based on wishful thinking rather than factual evidence.

In general the courts need to sanction the poo poo out of bad lawyers being bad.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

BiggerBoat posted:

But this is a microcosm of what Trump does. His bullshit is just constant and entirely based around sheer attrition and the loving gall it takes to do it. People in this thread as well as others often are like "oh, poo poo, yeah. I forgot when he asked Russia to interfere in the election" and "oh, christ, that's right. He actually admitted to ____________ that one time."

The fact that we forgot that the Republican Candidate for President asked our long time geopolitical rivals to loving hack his opponent is loving NUTS.

Cimber fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jan 23, 2024

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Trump is basically the three-stooges-germs-in-a-door meme personified. There's just SO. MUCH. BULLSHIT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

Ynglaur posted:

Now they need to sanction Roman's lawyer for bringing a spurious motion based on wishful thinking rather than factual evidence.

In general the courts need to sanction the poo poo out of bad lawyers being bad.

If this is literally a nothingburger, I wouldn't be surprised if it ends in a show cause hearing for why they shouldn't get the poo poo smacked out of them. You know you're out on a limb when trump's lawyers are hesitant to sign on to a scathing accusation against one of his opponents.