Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

grilledcheese posted:

ahh thank you! i get a little anxious every time i post in here

nice set, that light is lovely

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 22, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Excuse me, sir. Where did you get that great photo?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Viginti Septem posted:

Excuse me, sir. Where did you get that great photo?

The one section of underground we have here in Dallas haha

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
That location is so cool.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Love these kind of images where initially you are confused as to the scale of what you're looking at.

Haven't had a chance to shoot much the past week but here's one:

DSC_3993 by C M, on Flickr

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Love these kind of images where initially you are confused as to the scale of what you're looking at.

Haven't had a chance to shoot much the past week but here's one:

DSC_3993 by C M, on Flickr

This is awesome :)

Viginti Septem posted:

That location is so cool.

Thanks! Here's another one from the other direction leading to the platform

313A7044 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Cognac McCarthy posted:

This one is real great. I've been obsessed with power lines lately as well, and I really love the confusing (to me) geometry in the foreground here.

I know there's a lesson in finding different things to shoot, but living in small(ish)-town Colorado and trying to shoot cool landscapes is frequently really hampered by power lines. Maybe I should just lean into it.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Admiral Bosch posted:

I know there's a lesson in finding different things to shoot, but living in small(ish)-town Colorado and trying to shoot cool landscapes is frequently really hampered by power lines. Maybe I should just lean into it.

I can sympathize with this. The second one I posted started out as a shot of the mountain behind it but there was just no ignoring the power line. If it's not interesting enough to be the subject of the photo or if it doesn't interact in some way with the other elements in the shot, a power line is often just ugly and annoying.

Also, sometimes a line seems to interact with other elements when viewed in person, but in a photo the lines are too thin or subtle to really register meaningfully.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My trick is to just be outside with a camera when the conditions are good. Fantastic cloud patterns, fog, mist, blue hour, fresh snow, sharp shadows, whatever. The most mundane crap starts popping out when there's some fancy light.

Allegedly you'll start to see that stuff even with bad light and be able to make a good photo but I ain't there.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

more Zion

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Dang!

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Dang is right, those are gorgeous

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Gotta love how they tell people not to stand on that bridge.. and we all do it anyways.

Maybe they should give the bridge a proper pedestrian path.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

xzzy posted:

Gotta love how they tell people not to stand on that bridge.. and we all do it anyways.

Maybe they should give the bridge a proper pedestrian path.

Really? Is that a newer policy? I haven't been in a while, since before Angels' had a lottery permit system at least.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

not sure about the last one in color. had almost no light left and the shadows are pretty crushed. the tree stands out a lot more in B&W too.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Really? Is that a newer policy? I haven't been in a while, since before Angels' had a lottery permit system at least.

It's on the website, so basically ignorable. But they don't want people there.

I heard one of the nearby parking spots got closed and allegedly rangers will punt people on the bridge. But all this could be internet lies, I haven't been there in several years.

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

determined to get a good shot of this patch. this is probably my favorite so far.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Stepping back and using a long lens would help. I see what you’re seeing

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

May contain traces of nuts...

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

drat another Jaffa! I thought I was the only one.

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

Blackhawk posted:

drat another Jaffa! I thought I was the only one.

From up north a bit, actually, but was down in town catching up with some mates and took the camera along...

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

20240129-313A7669 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

20240129-313A7624 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

blue squares fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 29, 2024

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

:discourse:

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Took a while to realize this was shot with a wide angle lens, the dark spaces above and below almost gives it a claustrophobic feel.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

^^ That's real nice

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Yep :allears:

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

hadn't shot in a while, got out this morning for a walk locally - it was pretty overcast and gross but as soon as i got home the weather cleared up and now its beautiful out ugh

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Great shot. Can't wait til things get green again around here.

Admiral Bosch fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 3, 2024

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Do you have more of that container stack? the colors are wild. Really like the silo shots too.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

No only the one shot of the container stack but I should go back there again sometime. Hard to get a good shot though as the path is a cycleway which gets quite busy so I can't just stand in the middle of it with a large format camera! The container colours are very cool though, they really are pretty vibrant in person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

God drat I love this one.