Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
I've been reading Morrison's JLA over the past 2 months. It's so good that I am already getting sad that it will end. Any other Justice League runs that are this good? I already read Morrison's Final Crisis which was also amazing.

The Ol Spicy Keychain fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jan 21, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The Waid run that follows Morrison is pretty top notch too

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I've always been partial to The Obsidian Order arc of JLA. Having Nightwing run the whole show was pretty cool.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
There's a brief run of Justice League right before The New 52 relaunch where the Trinity is Dickbat, Donna Troy and Supergirl that I have a soft spot for.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I somehow still had never read a solo Superman book, but now I have. Superman 298. I like how there's this alien guy Xavier hanging out in an apartment casually working on his mission to eliminate the earth. And the epic overwrought struggle Clark feels about everything is kind of like The Tick only serious. Not half bad. Curt Swan sure did a lot of comics, major kudos.

Reading that and 299 before Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?, since I wanted to see some usual Swan stuff before his story with Moore.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jan 22, 2024

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The current Superman books are real good, you should give them a shot.

I appreciated the bit with Mercy going "Dude, obviously Lex excluded me from his mind wipe, but please try and pretend that your hubby has a secret identity" to Lois.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Heavy Metal posted:

I somehow still had never read a solo Superman book, but now I have. Superman 298. I like how there's this alien guy Xavier hanging out in an apartment casually working on his mission to eliminate the earth. And the epic overwrought struggle Clark feels about everything is kind of like The Tick only serious. Not half bad. Curt Swan sure did a lot of comics, major kudos.

Reading that and 299 before Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?, since I wanted to see some usual Swan stuff before his story with Moore.

Are you asking for good Superman comics? All Star Superman is great, the first arc of One Year Later rocks, first arc of New 52 Actin Comics is cool, Superman Rebirth introducing his Superson is also amazing.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Air Skwirl posted:

Are you asking for good Superman comics? All Star Superman is great, the first arc of One Year Later rocks, first arc of New 52 Actin Comics is cool, Superman Rebirth introducing his Superson is also amazing.

I am effectively going to repeat what you said but word it differently just because I think it may be easier to find if that is the goal.

If there's a Superman collection that's written by any of Grant Morrison, Peter Tomasi, Geoff Johns then it's a great read.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

The current Superman is one of the best ever, easy. Shocking but true!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Right on, thanks. I've got a read list going with some retro stuff, For All Seasons, some Kelly and whatnot. Mainly pulling a Hootington and sharing my impressions on random old comics.

For the current Joshua Williamson run, does that read well without the Warworld stuff and Action Comics? Simpler the better, I'm not that into crossovers and events.

World's Finest looks ok, but then it's kind of annoying how it ties into other things, and Batman vs Robin doesn't look like my thing, plus I don't care about this devil demon guy I mostly just put it on the read list because of Waid. Not checking out Lazarus Planet. So that's just me, I like those tidy creator runs that are one title, and for Marvel and DC I mainly read runs from decades ago. More of an indie guy. But I'm always looking for more stuff to put on the read list.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Ok so I'm to believe that spoiler reveals she is pregnant than 4 issues later has the baby? While post cataclysm is happening? All of this happened over 9 months?

Also lmao st the earthquake death toll being 1million plus. So before the clench the city was about 5 million. Clench killed like 200-500 thousand, a mass exodus of people happened, then the quake happened and killed another million, then another mass exodus happens. So gotham went from a population of 5 million to 2-2.5 million, possibly less, in roughly a year and a half.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Heavy Metal posted:

For the current Joshua Williamson run, does that read well without the Warworld stuff and Action Comics? Simpler the better, I'm not that into crossovers and events.

It works well enough but the Warworld stuff kinda rules so I'd recommend it too

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I hear Manchester Black is in that, gonna try to read the Kelly run including his early appearance. Speaking of complicated, I have that City of Tomorrow trade mixing the several ongoings of the time.

I did see that animated movie with the Elite, pretty fun.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'll chime in and note that I did not read the Warworld stuff and I've been able to follow just fine, basically: Superman was trapped on Warworld for a bit, Jon was Superman in his absence, when Clark came back he brought a bunch of freed slaves as refugees and adopted two kids from a Kryptonian colony world (I think?) and is working more closely with all the other Krypton-adjacent heroes.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Thanks, sounds good. Does it cross over with the Action book since then? Is that one not as essential at the moment?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
No real crossover, but Action's also been good. They sort of tackle similar themes but tell distinct stories.

PKJ's Action is where the Warworld stuff was, actually. And his run has been more focused on the fallout with some more topical stuff using the alien refugees as an allegory for... um... refugees. (Johnson knows writers who use subtext and they're all cowards)

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 22, 2024

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

PKJ was awesome on Action. I recommend reading all his Superman stuff. He's also got a great Hulk run that just recently started. Completely different kind of vibe. Dude has a great range as a writer.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Spurrier has finally started to pay the slow burn off. The Flash #5 was an incredible issue.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Totally minor thing, but I really love the design of Jon Kent as Superman with the no-cape/red shoulders version of the suit. It feels like an actually modern update of the classic far more than Jim Lee deciding Superman's little red panties had to go.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Mr Hootington posted:

Ok so I'm to believe that spoiler reveals she is pregnant than 4 issues later has the baby? While post cataclysm is happening? All of this happened over 9 months?

Also lmao st the earthquake death toll being 1million plus. So before the clench the city was about 5 million. Clench killed like 200-500 thousand, a mass exodus of people happened, then the quake happened and killed another million, then another mass exodus happens. So gotham went from a population of 5 million to 2-2.5 million, possibly less, in roughly a year and a half.

A million internally displaced persons would be the biggest crisis the US had faced since the Civil War. There would be sprawling tent cities outside of Metropoplis for decades.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Gripweed posted:

A million internally displaced persons would be the biggest crisis the US had faced since the Civil War. There would be sprawling tent cities outside of Metropoplis for decades.

The comics are pretty explicit in saying the ruins of gotham are nearly depopulated. They show tent/fema trailer cities set up inside of the gotham ruins and in the gotham suburbs. The suburbs were mostly undamaged and chuck dixon's robin makes it clear the only problem the suburbs has is the gotham refugees coming in and doing crime .

The comics also talk about mass Graves, disease being rampant, fires apparently raging in the ruins for months, there is almost no clean water, not enough food, and all the rich and corporations except Bruce Wayne and Wayne Corp left.

I'm almost to No Man's Land proper, but I can not see how Gotham can be rebuilt and repopulated.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mr Hootington posted:

I'm almost to No Man's Land proper, but I can not see how Gotham can be rebuilt and repopulated.

The answer may surprise you! Or may not.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Amazons Attack has been a great little treat. I would like to see more of the bunny, but Yara and Cassie both got some great moments. I completely forget Yara's origin at this point; was she always able to go into some kinda super-Saiyan blueish demigod form like she kinda did here, or is that a new thing?

Of note, this issue shows what I...think?...might be the first...what do we even call the current era of continuity? Post-Rebirth? Post-New Frontier? Post-Dawn of DC?...anyway, for the first time in a long while, we're shown flashbacks of the Amazons before they actually got to their island, and it's confirmed that they had a war with Herakles (as he's called now). You'd think that something so central to the Amazons' origins would have been confirmed before now, but no, ever since the New 52 there literally has not been any canon showing wth they ever did or why they were ever created or how they ended up on the island. Hopefully we'll get to see more of the Amazons' past, though I'm not sure how deeply they're going to go into it here beyond what's necessary for the current plot about some betrayer or another, and I'm not even sure how many issues of this miniseries there are left. It would be nice if Tom King could canonize things a bit more in the main book, but at this point I'm not sure there's any actual communication between the two titles, and King doesn't seem interested in being all that clear about this sort of thing.

The one big complaint I have about this series is that, issue after issue, they insist on reminding us of the Lazarus Planet plot from last year, which, yes I get it, it literally just happened a couple months ago and is kind of important to Mary's current status quo...but we really should just let it fade into obscurity instead of keeping it fresh in anyone's minds because it was bad, y'all. :sweatdrop: It was a bad event. Wait actually, just me just recheck to make sure...yes. Yes it's still bad.

Oh, the other thing is that I'm getting kind of sick of Peacemaker popping up in every single book nowadays to be a weird little crony for the government? It happened in like three different books in this week alone. It'd be one thing if he were popping up to do something cool, but all he does is do is "shock" the heroes in a splash page with his little gun cocked or whatever and going "Yes I'm still Waller's bootlicking blunt instrument, don't kinkshame me this is what gets me going" and what little regard I have for the character just keeps circling the drain.

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Spurrier has finally started to pay the slow burn off. The Flash #5 was an incredible issue.
That weird dude who knows a lot about Jai is definitely future Jai, right? Lots of weird dudes doing weird things here so I might've missed one cue or another suggesting otherwise, but that was my first thought.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jan 25, 2024

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Ok Catwoman(1993) #62-#64. Joker escapes Arkham, targets catwoman, and causes mass death and chaos to harass her. Joker destroys multiple large builings full of people, destroys one of the few bridges leading leaving gotham while it is full of people, joker gases a full airport terminal, then crashes a plane into said terminal, and causes 747s to have an in air collision.

Thousands more dead over the course of a day.

Edit: this arc is also kind of the start of when the Joker kills his henchmen wantonly. Before this he typically only killed henchmen who squealed or tried double crossing him.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jan 25, 2024

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Keeping abreast with Catwoman I see. :smugdog:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

Keeping abreast with Catwoman I see. :smugdog:

It is shocking how terrible this book as been for 64 issues.

Azreal is also a dogshit book from this era. I can not understand how it went on 100 issues and was written by Denny O'Neil.

I've fallen off on the newer books except the JSA relaunches. Each of the minis are very good and the main book is too. I can't stress enough how enjoyable they are.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jan 25, 2024

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mr Hootington posted:

It is shocking how terrible this book as been for 64 issues.

Jim Balent had a weird breakdown when he was finally removed from the book and people went nuts for Catwoman's Darywn Cooke redesign and went on to make Tarot: Witch of the Black Rose where he is living his best life so props to him.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

Jim Balent had a weird breakdown when he was finally removed from the book and people went nuts for Catwoman's Darywn Cooke redesign and went on to make Tarot: Witch of the Black Rose where he is living his best life so props to him.

The writers have all be universally terrible too. Awful book, but I must slog on.

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

I was in Katrina. You'd be surprised how easily the US government can abandon you to a natural disaster. We lost about half the population, 200,000+ people left/died once the city was back open. All of our doors had orange X's on them when teams went in to look for bodies. I believe it was from clockwise from the top, date, number of human bodies, organization who searched, number of animal bodies. It's been a lot of years since so I may have that part mixed up. Once we could go back, the city stayed under martial law with the National Guard all over. I was threatened with arrest for smoking outside a bar while I waited on a cab, instead of waiting inside. Dude was probably on a power trip, because c'mon, but it was a wild loving year.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Mr Hootington posted:

Azreal is also a dogshit book from this era. I can not understand how it went on 100 issues and was written by Denny O'Neil.

Answered your own question.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Reading 60+ issues of a series because it's always been "terrible". I'm onto you Hoot. The art ruled at least, especially compared to a lot of the extreme artists at the time.

I mean reading every main Batman issue because it's your mission, I get it, but being completist with the side books, you gotta be enjoying it in some way. I hope!

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 25, 2024

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Anyone remember that abominaton of a super hero costume Azreal began to wear?

The bat family really gets jerked around on costumes or renames.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

SO AGRY!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm reading on Infinite so about a month behind but Alan Scott Green Lantern fuckin rules. The scene in issue 3 where Alan and Jim Corrigan are investigating who's been killing gay men in NYC is just fantastic, especially Corrigan's monologue. And they've made Alan feel just very real, both the internalised homophobia but also just the very matter of fact way it's revealed he's been having occasional hookups with one of the victims. And issue 2 made Arkham feel more horrific than it has in any other comic in years just by being going for verisimilitude.

It's heartbreaking in a lot of ways, almost doubly so because the rest of the JSA (possibly a bit wish-fulfilment-y) are clearly reaching out and want to support and you know why he feels he can't accept it.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 25, 2024

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I kind of like the early issues of Balent's Catwoman. Yes it is cheesecakey as all hell and the stories are fluff but it's nice to sometimes have cheesecakey fluff every once in a while. That being said the Brubaker Catwoman run is next level good.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

The one big complaint I have about this series is that, issue after issue, they insist on reminding us of the Lazarus Planet plot from last year, which, yes I get it, it literally just happened a couple months ago and is kind of important to Mary's current status quo...but we really should just let it fade into obscurity instead of keeping it fresh in anyone's minds because it was bad, y'all. :sweatdrop: It was a bad event. Wait actually, just me just recheck to make sure...yes. Yes it's still bad.

Oh, the other thing is that I'm getting kind of sick of Peacemaker popping up in every single book nowadays to be a weird little crony for the government? It happened in like three different books in this week alone. It'd be one thing if he were popping up to do something cool, but all he does is do is "shock" the heroes in a splash page with his little gun cocked or whatever and going "Yes I'm still Waller's bootlicking blunt instrument, don't kinkshame me this is what gets me going" and what little regard I have for the character just keeps circling the drain.

That weird dude who knows a lot about Jai is definitely future Jai, right? Lots of weird dudes doing weird things here so I might've missed one cue or another suggesting otherwise, but that was my first thought.

Peeg's whole thing right now it basically because of Lazarus Planet so as long as she and Omen are a thing, that's always gonna keep lurking in the background. The Beast World: Star City special also has stuff from Lazarus Planet in it too. Mainly from the Jason Todd series.

Rick Flagg is out of the picture for Waller so she needs new patriotic muscle and Peacemaker fits the bill. :shrug: This is the direction they were going with him pre The Suicide Squad so I'm kinda surprised they're trucking along with this version.

I think future guy is a different race than Jai, but it's hard to tell because of the big hat and it might just be shading. It's certainly unclear if it is him or not though imo and could just as well be someone connected to another member of the Flash family.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Peeps be saying the need to double the number of speedsters

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Madkal posted:

I kind of like the early issues of Balent's Catwoman. Yes it is cheesecakey as all hell and the stories are fluff but it's nice to sometimes have cheesecakey fluff every once in a while. That being said the Brubaker Catwoman run is next level good.

Sometimes a comic just being unabashedly horny and fun is just what the doctor ordered. See X-Terminators for example.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Codependent Poster posted:

Sometimes a comic just being unabashedly horny and fun is just what the doctor ordered. See X-Terminators for example.

Yeah, Catwoman's problem was that's all it was for a long stretch. Although I'd forgotten it launched in the midst of Knightfall and also Jo Duffy wrote it at first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

BrianWilly posted:

That is the operating theory, yeah. The entire "I know what you're going to say because I was already here for this conversation" bit is classic in this situation. And, hey, there's a long history of this in The Flash. Flash #0 was an all time great one on that same premise.

Jai is obviously the least developed of Wally's family (not counting the infant) and this focus issue was Spurrier expertly capitalizing on all the work other folks had set up with the character, but never really struck on.

I know a lot of people don't like Wally's kids for one reason or another, and maybe the Adams run wasn't their cup of tea either. But I'd highly suggest everyone give them a shot with Spurrier's Flash run so far.