Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

the entire field of hasbara is twisting themselves into the most tortured logic.

https://twitter.com/econyamics/status/1749123970236920303?s=46&t=UyfxoSAUKW7QZlR_GhkuYA
https://x.com/Yair_Rosenberg/status/1749524599547813924?s=20
lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

lol gtfo

you give us all the hostages, we arrest more randos to replace anyone we release, and then after 2 months we'll bomb you again after having taken away your leverage

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

kingcobweb posted:

swinging by from the union thread:

https://twitter.com/SEIU/status/1749444313338048806

even a Workers United (an SEIU affiliate) staffer was pleasantly surprised by this.

Are you posting a condemnation of Hamas like it is a good thing? Where is the call for the freeing of the thousands of Palestinian children held hostage? Why only a call for the freeing of Israeli troops held captive?

From the statement linked in the tweet:

https://www.seiu.org/2024/01/seius-mary-kay-henry-statement-on-war-in-gaza posted:

We condemn the horrific attacks by Hamas on October 7th, which included the killing of over 1,200 Israelis and others, unconscionable acts of sexual violence, the abduction of over 200 hostages, and other atrocities.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

double nine posted:

really wondering why that gently caress is so unwilling to flee back to philadelphia instead of keeping this bloody circus going

Might be hard to get a visa right now.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

hmm, lets read the article to see if it says more about the proposal:

quote:

Israel has given Hamas a proposal through Qatari and Egyptian mediators that includes up to two months of a pause in the fighting as part of a multi-phase deal that would include the release of all remaining hostages held in Gaza, two Israeli officials said

quote:

Details: The officials said Israel proposed the overall period of pause for the completion of the release of all hostages in the different phases could reach up to two months.

quote:

The Israeli officials said the proposal makes clear Israel will not agree to end the war and will not agree to release all 6,000 Palestinian prisoners from Israeli prisons.

quote:

They admit if the deal is implemented, IDF operations in Gaza would be significantly smaller in scope and intensity after the two month pause in fighting.

Not seeing any reason this offer should be treated with anything other than scorn

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

Could we get a 2-month vacation for this war we started? We'll get right back into it after spring break.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Karach posted:

I think this is what strikes me as sad about these symbolic displays: they act as diversionary channels for what little good will people have inside them, reinforcing their internalized sense of political powerlessness. The more you participate in things like synchronized kegeling for the hostages and see them fail (because what else is going to happen?), the more cynical and apathetic you're likely to become. I hope it prompts some people to reflect and ask themselves "how DO you actually change the world?", but my fear is most people will just go "eh, I tried kegeling, it doesn't work, nothing you can do about anything."

Have you actually tried synchronized kegeling? I haven't. Maybe it actually does work?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Buttchocks posted:

Could we get a 2-month vacation for this war we started? We'll get right back into it after spring break.

this is it. will you release the hostages and give us (up to) 2 months to reorganize for the next offensive?

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

bedpan posted:

Not seeing any reason this offer should be treated with anything other than scorn

I give you zero hostages in exchange for all my hostages. You also give me two months pause from fighting so I can replenish my war munitions which are currently on backlog due to pirates.

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.
There's some field reports floating around (on Israeli Telegrams and such) of exceptionally heavy losses from the offensive in Khan Younis today, in the ballpark of 20~ casualties and something about a booby trapped building. If it's true, I'm guessing more concrete sources will confirm it tomorrow.

E: Al Arabiya is reporting 22 dead

https://twitter.com/AlArabiya/status/1749524406592733184?t=3ZDiE6C_6D3bJe9f9JAKiA&s=19

"Official" Israeli media is gonna wake up on 6-8 AM, if this story is legit (and gets cleared for publication by the censor) they'll pick up on it and release the names in the morning. Meanwhile I need to loving sleep.

Sancho Banana has issued a correction as of 22:01 on Jan 22, 2024

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
Insha'Allah, IOF will be roundly defeated here and lead to the collapse of the Nazi Zionist government.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Sancho Banana posted:

The IDF is attacking in western Khan Younis right now - three officers have been announced dead so far.

https://twitter.com/ynetalerts/status/1749471508697608488?t=h9a6LY-Z0y3XUux-CQIroA&s=19

More like Khan You-please send more officers to catch bullets.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Karach posted:

I think this is what strikes me as sad about these symbolic displays: they act as diversionary channels for what little good will people have inside them, reinforcing their internalized sense of political powerlessness. The more you participate in things like synchronized kegeling for the hostages and see them fail (because what else is going to happen?), the more cynical and apathetic you're likely to become. I hope it prompts some people to reflect and ask themselves "how DO you actually change the world?", but my fear is most people will just go "eh, I tried kegeling, it doesn't work, nothing you can do about anything."

Parking is praxis

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

bedpan posted:

This is a face-saving move to score PR points when Hamas rejects this clear nonstarter

VoicesCanBe has issued a correction as of 22:13 on Jan 22, 2024

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

Buttchocks posted:

This too, it's a way for Israel to regroup after getting their asses kicked on the ground in Gaza.

The IDF has killed tens of thousands of children, leveled the vast majority of civilian buildings, all while accomplishing nothing in terms of curtailing Hamas' military capabilities. Both horrifically destructive and utterly incompetent.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Sancho Banana posted:

Much of the weirdo performance art is being done by (I suspect) people who feel like they should speak out about this BUT don't support any of the concrete things that can actually be done to release the hostages, so they're stuck with blinking cars, blocking roads for 250 seconds and meaninglessly posting #bringthemhome.

Some people (correctly) think that a prisoner exhange deal with Hamas, no matter how painful it'll be for Israel, is the only way forward. Some people (incorrectly) think that military pressure will force Hamas to release the hostages unconditionally or that the IDF will be able to rescue them. Some people (also incorrectly) believe that the IDF can win this war, and that achieving that victory is more important than freeing the hostages, even if it it means they might die, though they usually won't admit it. And finally, some people don't really know what to think at all, so they do tesla lightshows and yoga instead.

I'm mean, some of the guys doing yoga for the hostages probably do have an idea of what should be done, but in a general sense those events are probably perpetuated by mental paralysis among the section of the population that knows that Israel has to surrender to get the hostages back but refuses to really accept it. So they're stuck.

Usually things are constrained by what is 'realistic,' which is determined by people who have the power to get things done but don't want to for ideological reasons.

If the IDF applies enough military pressure they wont rescue the hostages, but there also wont be any hostages left to rescue, which I guess is a resolution in a way.

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

the dumbest motherfuckers on earth

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

I need to know what rube Goldberg rear end way those IDF died in the building

Just how many paint cans and falling anvils we're involved

Crazypoops has issued a correction as of 22:14 on Jan 22, 2024

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

VoicesCanBe posted:

This is a face-saving mood to score PR points when Hamas rejects this clear nonstarter

yep. this is all it is. "we tried to negotiate a just settlement with Hamas but they are beasts who cannot be negotiated with"

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

VoicesCanBe posted:

This too, it's a way for Israel to regroup after getting their asses kicked on the ground in Gaza.

The IDF has killed tens of thousands of children, leveled the vast majority of civilian buildings, all while accomplishing nothing in terms of curtailing Hamas' military capabilities. Both horrifically destructive and utterly incompetent.

please agree not to attack us while we wait for starvation and disease to set in

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Weka posted:

Are you posting a condemnation of Hamas like it is a good thing? Where is the call for the freeing of the thousands of Palestinian children held hostage? Why only a call for the freeing of Israeli troops held captive?

From the statement linked in the tweet:

yeah what’s so special about this stupid lib union :burger:brain take lol

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

kingcobweb posted:

even a Workers United (an SEIU affiliate) staffer was pleasantly surprised by this.

Issued April 25, 2023

SEIU endorses Biden-Harris for reelection

WASHINGTON, DC - Today the Service Employees International Union (SEIU) announced its endorsement of President Genocide Joe and Vice President Kamala Harris for reelection.

TrekBek
Mar 27, 2013

slug life

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

the entire field of hasbara is twisting themselves into the most tortured logic.

https://twitter.com/econyamics/status/1749123970236920303?s=46&t=UyfxoSAUKW7QZlR_GhkuYA

I've read references to it multiple times, but is the "grandma snuff video posted to facebook" like.

a real thing that actually happened?

I feel like that would be constantly loaded into the hasbara chamber if that had actually been posted.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

kingcobweb posted:

A lot of the mainstream liberal groups in DC seem to have gotten the green light to call for a ceasefire like today. JStreet that was going to un-endorse any candidate who called for a ceasefire in the last 3 months called for one today. I guess the 35k bodies was as much steam as we needed to let israel blow off.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Tangling with blue Maga zionists and just your average Old Person on Twitter (40 and above) psycho, it's funny how many of them go with like "look at your reg date"/"no avatar"/"you ain't got no followers youre not even internet popular" like they're forum dwelling losers from 2005. Not really important but it's funny and pathetic how poster/internet brained people are who didn't even start out online.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
IDF conscripts don't need to frag their officers. A 19 year old colonel will just stand in a window having a smoke break.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

TrekBek posted:

I've read references to it multiple times, but is the "grandma snuff video posted to facebook" like.

a real thing that actually happened?

I feel like that would be constantly loaded into the hasbara chamber if that had actually been posted.

I seem to recall it among the many atrocity propaganda posts after the initial attack. Like all of those it evaporated once facts and evidence emerged.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
https://twitter.com/ytirawi/status/1749533377047277699

lol

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

whats one more hostage lol

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

TrekBek posted:

Do you even need to ask? The only truthful statement to come out of the Israeli leadership since October 7 has been, "We're going to commit genocide".

https://electronicintifada.net/blogs/asa-winstanley/israeli-hq-ordered-troops-shoot-israeli-captives-7-october

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

This is how you know the IDF is the most effective military in the world. Most militaries would only fight on one side of any given war, but the IDF is capable of singlehandedly fighting on both sides.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Jesus they should just trap IDF targets and let Israel fight for hamas

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

its like when a national park makes campers hike their poop and used wipes out with them

leave no trace invading

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
An Iraqi Airline is being sanctioned as it's accused of being used to transport Iranian arms to groups in support of the attacks on Israel.
I guess blocking trade to stop weapons being delivered is okay as long as you declare sanctions first. If only the Houthi's had their press secretary announce sanctions on Israeli vessels before they started the blockade the liberals would have been forced to accept it.
https://x.com/cspan/status/1749513771985592796?s=20

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

docbeard posted:

This is how you know the IDF is the most effective military in the world. Most militaries would only fight on one side of any given war, but the IDF is capable of singlehandedly fighting on both sides.

Thank God the US is here to replace that poor tank. The biomechanical control machinery takes longer to rebuild, but they have elite teams acquiring the raw materials

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
It's less of a Hannibal directive than a Jim Jones directive.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Hamas announces entire Israel military is captured as hostages.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Crazypoops posted:

Hamas announces entire Israel military is captured as hostages.

*ring ring ring*
IDF guy: "Khello?"
Hamas guy: "is this the IDF speaking?
IG: "yes, who may I say is calling?"
HG: "it is Hamas. i am calling to say that in 5 minutes we will capture you and your entire unit. ha ha ha. goodbye."
IG: "activate Hannibal Doctrine!"
*in unison all IDF soldiers draw their weapons and shoot themselves in the head*

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

Are the IDF soldiers all suicidal or something? If they know that is gonna happen why aren't they surrendering and trying to gtfo as soon as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

fatelvis posted:

Are the IDF soldiers all suicidal or something? If they know that is gonna happen why aren't they surrendering and trying to gtfo as soon as possible.

fascist death drive