Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

I ain't reading that. Can you present it in a Star Trek analogy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Vakal posted:

I ain't reading that. Can you present it in a Star Trek analogy?

Tuvok : logic
Neelix : alien children

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Gutcruncher posted:

Tuvok : logic
Neelix : alien children

I've gone cross-eyed!

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Vakal posted:

I've gone cross-eyed!

i know they made the right call eventually but how did they not phaser this freak in to a skeleton immediately

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

a real rude dude posted:

i know they made the right call eventually but how did they not phaser this freak in to a skeleton immediately

But then we wouldn't have gotten the classic ending where security is marching him to his execution as he begs for his life.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

making my way through Dial of Destiny in increments, tbh I thought the first 30-40min we're fine, I can't even bitch about CGI Ford (however a deep part of my brain gets confused about age of characters and what time scenes are occuring in when they're de-aged, same with The Irishman)

But it goes off the rails into soulless territory when it's just one chase after another, all in pursuit of MacGuffin parts

hard to say if this is worse than Kingdom of the Crystal Skullfuck

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

its way way worse

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

its way way worse

True. Crystal Skull sucked but you could tell it was Spielberg. All the direction, dialogue and action really lacks the snap that he knows how to bring. It gives it a fanfiction uncanny replica Indiana Jones quality

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne
:coolspot:
introduced zaat to my priest today

feelin good

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
https://youtube.com/shorts/p6to4bSvkms?si=ucu_A-PBCgM2XmHr

nolan pro click

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

"pro click" if you like looking at youtubers make the youtube face!!!

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

"pro click" if you like looking at youtubers make the youtube face!!!

That would be a fun update to the classic Ahegao hoodie

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Crescent Wrench posted:

But then we wouldn't have gotten the classic ending where security is marching him to his execution as he begs for his life.

Voyager was so insane

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

the gently caress is this poo poo.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Do not click on any non-RLM youtube links

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

henkman posted:

My anti-virus software goes crazy whenever a Kermode video gets posted

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
What about Deubdre?

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Outpost22 posted:

What about Deubdre?
I think they have a creme for that

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Endless Trash posted:

more like commode

CaliKid
Jan 22, 2024

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 22, 2024

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
American Fiction is a good movie. Made me laugh, very enjoyable.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

N. Senada posted:

American Fiction is a good movie. Made me laugh, very enjoyable.

I feel like Orion & MGM are really loving up the movie's awards campaign, because it has been seriously underperforming in all the precursors despite the buzz out of TIFF being that it was a shoe-in for Best Picture. I hope that it still manages to get nominated for Best Picture, because that will probably double (or triple) the number of people who go out to see it. But I'm afraid we'll just end up with Cord Jefferson getting a Best Adapted Screenplay nomination.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Mordja posted:

That same exact spiral shape just became a major plot point, with some lady who can see ghosts saying it's "older than the ice" and it's all but confirmed that her dead lover was Rust's dad. Also, the "Tuttle Corporation" has been brought up as the group funding weird experiments.

lol that's so fuckin bad

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

henkman posted:

this

Endless Trash posted:

well except for this. kermode's good. he doesn't make youtube faces

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

kalel posted:

well except for this. kermode's good. he doesn't make youtube faces

Kermode has the advantage of having spent a career as a radio & print guy. Pulling a face was never in his wheelhouse.

Also, Kermode's hairline in 2024 is a stark reminder that none of us are beyond mortality.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

that's a good point, kermode has a pleasant voice and most youtubers sound like banshees. but in general I think you can write off youtube videos of A Person Talks At The Camera With All The Pauses Edited Out because it's just boring. watching a discussion of a group of people, even just two, is always more engaging than a single person talking to themselves in their bedroom

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the real pro tip is to not watch any americans because they are all dumb as rocks. even my friends michael and jason and richard

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

the real pro tip is to not watch any americans because they are all dumb as rocks. even my friends michael and jason and richard

They'd be adorable if they weren't all also heavily armed and severely unhinged

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
you ever think like, metaphors and symbolism are sort of crutches for emotionally impotent storytelling

and when they intrude on something which actually is effective, but lacks confidence in itself, they're most unwelcome

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I enjoy the banter on Kermode and Mayo. Just a couple chill dudes talking movies and occasionally skiffle music, whatever the gently caress that is

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
i did a shoot with a guy who worked with him once and he said he was a huge dick

i thought huh, i always kind of enjoyed his reviews

but then i thought about his hair and his glasses, and i thought, yeah there's no way that guy isn't a huge dick

and now i pass that thought on to all of you

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

priznat posted:

I enjoy the banter on Kermode and Mayo. Just a couple chill dudes talking movies and occasionally skiffle music, whatever the gently caress that is

The Skiffle Players own. Rip Neal Casal.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

roomtone posted:

i did a shoot with a guy who worked with him once and he said he was a huge dick

i thought huh, i always kind of enjoyed his reviews

but then i thought about his hair and his glasses, and i thought, yeah there's no way that guy isn't a huge dick

and now i pass that thought on to all of you

he was a humongous (figuratively) rear end for the majority of his life for sure. take a look at any of his aughts era bbc reviews on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZMfe4qnoKU

I think this is funny personally but he comes off like an absolute knob

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

roomtone posted:

you ever think like, metaphors and symbolism are sort of crutches for emotionally impotent storytelling

and when they intrude on something which actually is effective, but lacks confidence in itself, they're most unwelcome

"i know writers who use subtext and theyre all cowards" -garth marenghi

the line about writing more books than theyve read also applies to a lot of these hack hollywood screenwriters. they just aint great writers. they think that just saying something is the same as actual writing, that their message can carry itself. cant say general audiences deserve much better, but the mindnumbing tvification of all media chasing that lowest common denominator means theres a lot more poo poo to wade through and ive totally given up doing the wading myself and just wait for people i trust to tip me off to the occasional exceptions

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

dreezy posted:

"i know writers who use subtext and theyre all cowards" -garth marenghi

the line about writing more books than theyve read also applies to a lot of these hack hollywood screenwriters. they just aint great writers. they think that just saying something is the same as actual writing, that their message can carry itself. cant say general audiences deserve much better, but the mindnumbing tvification of all media chasing that lowest common denominator means theres a lot more poo poo to wade through and ive totally given up doing the wading myself and just wait for people i trust to tip me off to the occasional exceptions

There's also the issue of having any subtlety or subtext whatsoever doesn't work because people are thick as pig poo poo. Homeländer worship being the obvious recent example.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Kingo Ligma posted:

There's also the issue of having any subtlety or subtext whatsoever doesn't work because people are thick as pig poo poo. Homeländer worship being the obvious recent example.

No idea if it is the case but it seems rare when an adaptation is way better than the original like The Boys. Like, in pretty much every way.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Finished Fargo S5. Overall... yeah it's good, but I just don't know what to make of the sin eater stuff. Having a literal 500 year old dude seems a bit off, but it was also a great character that created many great moments throughout the season. It's a good idea, just seems so weird and out of place in the setting. :shrug:

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Aliens…

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Finished Fargo S5. Overall... yeah it's good, but I just don't know what to make of the sin eater stuff. Having a literal 500 year old dude seems a bit off, but it was also a great character that created many great moments throughout the season. It's a good idea, just seems so weird and out of place in the setting. :shrug:

Fargo the series has stuck some weird poo poo in from time to time. It could be that dude is full of poo poo too, it’s never really demonstrated he has supernatural powers, just is a huge weirdo. Could be his backstory he has crafted in his head to explain why the rich and powerful use him for their own ends. He was great though, and I think out of all the Fargo seasons it has the most positive ending?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I tried watching any given Sunday today and Jesus I thought the movie was good but god drat it’s bad.