Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There's a ton of parks and other features around Melbourne named after John Batman and we're slowly getting around to changing them, although every single time we have to go through the usual "Heritage not hate"/"Muh childhood!!"/"That was all in the past just get over it" song and dance.

Batman Park in Northcote got changed to Gumbri Park a few years ago

https://www.darebin.vic.gov.au/Community-and-pets/Aboriginal-Darebin/Our-commitment/Batman-conversations

Batman train station on the Upfield line still hasn't been changed

Good to know it's happening. A shame to hear there's resistance still, this place is usually pretty progressive. I mean we elected a Green ffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Law of Conservation of Batmans will ensure that after you rename all of the little things away from “Batman”, the city itself will return to “Batmania”.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
naw I read the comic where Joker got god powers and tried to get rid of Batman, you'll end up with a giant Batman crucified to Uranus (boy I hope it wasn't Neptune because I picked the funnier planet)

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

They should've just proclaimed that all these locations are now named after the superhero

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Kit Walker posted:

They should've just proclaimed that all these locations are now named after the superhero

I get where you're coming from, but maybe better to revert to the names given by the people they were stolen from, eh?

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Hyperlynx posted:

I get where you're coming from, but maybe better to revert to the names given by the people they were stolen from, eh?

Oh, for sure. I'm surprised that option was on the table at all

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kit Walker posted:

The King County strategy

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Fortunately we also have a perfectly fine Chris Columbus alternative.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Sir Lemming posted:

Fortunately we also have a perfectly fine Chris Columbus alternative.

gremlins is an amazing movie

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I just found out that someone from Calgary invented "lol"

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent...speak-1.5269807

I guess we'll add that to the list of things this dump owes the world an answer for (such as my posting)

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

This is ridiculously local to Ireland, but anyway - there's a sort of plasticine that every child in Ireland was very familiar with as a thing they used in arts and crafts classes in primary school.
It is/was always called "mala", not as a brand name, just as a description of what it is, like calling it 'clay'.
I just learned from reddit that it was a brand name, and it was actually called 'Marla'.
This is like my own version of the Berenstein bears/Mandala effect thing.
I cannot accept that the proper name is 'Marla'

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
John Astin played Gomez Addams in the 60's. This means that Sean Astin is just IRL Pugsley.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

He also voiced Gomez in the ‘90s cartoon, which I only learned a couple of years ago. I remember not caring much for the cartoon Gomez because he just sounded like a normal guy, so Raul Julia (RIP) basically is Gomez to me, he was just that good.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
John Astin is still alive! (a thing I learned recently)

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Empty Sandwich posted:

What? No he's...

what

I have been under the impression he'd been dead for almost two decades. When I started watching Addams Family reruns, I looked him up, he was dead, I was certain of it! This is some Barenstain Bears poo poo

edit: oh wait, I know what it was. He was in Brisco County Jr., and when I got the box set, I read the introduction by Bruce Campbell, and Bruce talked about how great it was to have had the opportunity to work with a legendary actor like John Astin. I think I interpreted that as Astin was dead.

New stuff: Holy poo poo after banging my head against this for like fifteen minutes, I finally discovered that reddit doesn't even allow you to sort the posts in a thread by date? Haha reddit you loving suck so much

What's especially funny about this is I learned this by looking at an 8 year-old reddit thread, which had outdated information, which would have been clear if I could have sorted by date, where it would have moved the new and correct information toward the top.

credburn has a new favorite as of 09:48 on Jan 21, 2024

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

credburn posted:

New stuff: Holy poo poo after banging my head against this for like fifteen minutes, I finally discovered that reddit doesn't even allow you to sort the posts in a thread by date? Haha reddit you loving suck so much
Reddit does suck but this option is literally right there

sort by: new will put the newest at the top

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

InediblePenguin posted:

Reddit does suck but this option is literally right there

sort by: new will put the newest at the top

I don't understand how I missed it. I've closed the browser window, but... gosh I want to... I just, I swear, that wasn't there when I was bitching about it!!

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
You think that's air you're breathing?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Reddit got rid of the ability to search within specific date ranges, and I will never forgive them for this.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Reminds me of the time YouTube decided that you shouldn't be allowed to sort videos by Oldest, for some baffling reason. Thankfully, counter to the trend of everything getting worse all the time, they walked this back eventually

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Empty Sandwich posted:

Huh. I didn't know OG Gomez was Rudy's dad.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Adoptive, but yes

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The whole story is wild. Astin was one of several men that Sean's mom had been sleeping with. She did the math and thought the bio dad was John Astin (who was married at the time), he divorced his current wife and married Sean's mom and raised Sean as his stepfather, although he thought he was Sean's biological father, although neither of them told Sean this. Eventually Sean got a DNA test and it turns out his bio father was his mom's significantly younger roommate at the time.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

He refers to John Astin, Desi Arnaz Jr (who Patty Duke thought might have been his father), Mike Pearce (his stepfather), and Michael Tell (his biological father) as his four dads and is close to all of them

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

root beer posted:

He refers to John Astin, Desi Arnaz Jr (who Patty Duke thought might have been his father), Mike Pearce (his stepfather), and Michael Tell (his biological father) as his four dads and is close to all of them

This sounds like the plot to an 80s movie starring Tom Selleck and Ted Danson and is wholesome as hell.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A reboot of My Mother the Car.

Except it's a metaphor for everyone getting a ride.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

TK-42-1 posted:

This sounds like the plot to an 80s movie starring Tom Selleck and Ted Danson and is wholesome as hell.

There were only two dads, and it was a sitcom instead of a movie, and the big name was Paul Reiser, but this exact thing existed. And it was indeed both wholesome and very 80s.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

An actual man was named Dick Butkus?

That's not some hackneyed old Vaudeville gag?

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

Powered Descent posted:

There were only two dads, and it was a sitcom instead of a movie, and the big name was Paul Reiser, but this exact thing existed. And it was indeed both wholesome and very 80s.
I think they were talking about 3 Men and a Baby or possibly the lackluster sequel, 3 Men and a Little Lady. They just forgot to mention Steve Guttenberg.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Ommin posted:

They just forgot to mention Steve Guttenberg.

What we lost when the Stonecutters collapsed :(

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Ommin posted:

I think they were talking about 3 Men and a Baby or possibly the lackluster sequel, 3 Men and a Little Lady. They just forgot to mention Steve Guttenberg.

Yeah I couldn’t remember who the third guy was.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It was Orson Welles

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.

FreudianSlippers posted:

*gasps in Superfans*

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

TK-42-1 posted:

Yeah I couldn’t remember who the third guy was.

Gaius Marius posted:

It was Orson Welles

could have been just anybody

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Gaius Marius posted:

It was Orson Welles

I just got that

Screw you

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

JGdmn posted:

*gasps in Superfans*

They were more about Mike Ditka though, weren’t they?

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

FreudianSlippers posted:

Yeah, and he was one of the most brutal and violent men to play professional football. "A Boy Named Sue" was written about his life story.

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.

root beer posted:

They were more about Mike Ditka though, weren’t they?

Yes, but I’d have to believe they were aware of Butkus.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

FreudianSlippers posted:

Stallone named his dog Butkus, after the dude. He likes to tell a story about how he was once so broke that he had to sell him (the dog), only to buy Butkus back once he had some cash from the script for Rocky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
An adze is an axe on an axis.