Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

In Training posted:

Why they gotta pay a nonprofit contractor though. I assume run by another friend of the Adams family.

Edit guess it's some national org. Well whatever, that's cool. I hope it actually does wipe out the medical bills no questions asked, that kind of debt alleviation is basically unheard of in the US

the Government of New York City isn't allowed to do anything cool or good on their own- they have to award grants to organizations who are willing to implement the Cool Thing with their own staff and capital, keep immaculate books, and maybe get fully reimbursed 16 months after the contract ends. it's very efficient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I love NYC. The city where you have to be one of the richest humans alive to comfortably live in it, but also the one that is rat infested, leaves giant piles of trash on the street, and has a filthy piss-coated subway that slow as poo poo most of the time

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Casey Finnigan posted:

I love NYC. The city where you have to be one of the richest humans alive to comfortably live in it, but also the one that is rat infested, leaves giant piles of trash on the street, and has a filthy piss-coated subway that slow as poo poo most of the time

for an added bonus, the filthy piss-coated subway that is slow as poo poo most of the time is basically the only adequately functional one in our entire country

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
Definitely true that the rich are more than happy to live in a pile of rat poo poo so long as the poor cannot afford even that

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

the Adams admin earmarked $10 million for homeless shelters, but the grant terms require stricter building codes than hotels. Hundreds of churches offered to shelter those who needed it, only to realize they couldn't afford to do the required renovations.

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

ok so it doesn't appear to be run by medical debt bag holders but if there were a bunch of medical debt bag holders they would do the same exact thing

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Buying Debt On The Debt Market at 1 dollar per 100 principal but woke

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

After watching How To With John Wilson NYC seems pretty cool actually with all the random nonsense going on

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
NYC is fine and all but there are other large cities in the world that are seemingly able to keep their streets and metro system relatively clean

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

it is a very cool city and it's bullshit what landlords have done to it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

webcams for christ posted:

it is a very cool city and it's bullshit what landlords have done to it

This

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Casey Finnigan posted:

No no, they finally recently passed laws that trash has to go out in containers now! So there's big containers of trash on the street instead.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Casey Finnigan posted:

NYC is fine and all but there are other large cities in the world that are seemingly able to keep their streets and metro system relatively clean

fun fact the metro system is ran by the state not the city, so Albany perpetually uses it as leverage to keep the NYC mayors in line

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

fun fact the metro system is ran by the state not the city, so Albany perpetually uses it as leverage to keep the NYC mayors in line

this is also on purpose to have an excuse to not improve it at all right? so it can be a responsibility football they toss back and forth without actually ever doing anything?

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

this is also on purpose to have an excuse to not improve it at all right? so it can be a responsibility football they toss back and forth without actually ever doing anything?

yes, same with the clusterfuck of transit authorities that don't play ball with the MTA or each other like the Port Authority, Metro North, and LIRR.

e: gently caress Albany though. they are a net-negative on the city

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1749447326203331050?s=20

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Hail to the King, baby.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Casey Finnigan posted:

Definitely true that the rich are more than happy to live in a pile of rat poo poo so long as the poor cannot afford even that

cant remember who posted it on these forums but:
"capitalism isnt about making the most money, its about making more than everyone else."

sums up the current state of things

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Gotta make sure the servants know their place when they're fortunate enough to be graced by the presence of myself, the protagonist of reality. :smug:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
do they still have those cardboard crowns? i havent stepped into a bk since like 1996

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Xaris posted:

do they still have those cardboard crowns? i havent stepped into a bk since like 1996

One of those almost gave my brother brain damage in Spain after falling over and gashing his head open. It was definitely that and not his shoes being on the wrong feet at age 5.

PTSD over a drat cardboard crown.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
bunch of all ATHs, sustainable and not a bubble or overbought. no worries here.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

MLKQUOTEMACHINE posted:

cant remember who posted it on these forums but:
"capitalism isnt about making the most money, its about making more than everyone else."

sums up the current state of things

wouldn't "the most money" be "more than everyone else"?

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

the milk machine posted:

wouldn't "the most money" be "more than everyone else"?

I'm going to win capitalism.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
not if I win it first

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
Don't you have to pay tax on the forgiven debt as if it was income though? Like if so, depending on how much the debt was bought for the city might actually make money.

edit: ripmedicaldebt says in their case, it might not count

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

text editor posted:

Don't you have to pay tax on the forgiven debt as if it was income though? Like if so, depending on how much the debt was bought for the city might actually make money.

edit: ripmedicaldebt says in their case, it might not count

iirc if the debt is owned and forgiven by a certain kind of charitable organization then it isn't taxable

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

people can bitch and moan about the mta as there's always room for improvement, but it really is incredible compared to basically everything else in the country

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

err posted:

It won't drop until the dollar breaks

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

George H.W. oval office posted:

After watching How To With John Wilson NYC seems pretty cool actually with all the random nonsense going on

that's one of the better shows on television

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

err posted:

And these five largest companies are incredibly diverse: Apple, Microsoft, Google, Amazon, Nvidia

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
tesla stock is still wildly overpriced. excited for that to collapse

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

It won't. Tesla is part of the MIC

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

super makes sense.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

It don't matter

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

None of this is ever going down meaningfully unless the dollar breaks

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

the entire stock market is just vibes

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Zokari posted:

the entire stock market is just vibes

It isn't. Most of the stock market is owned by 5-6 mega corps that swap the stocks in a circle causing the stocks to go up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

going to break the dollar with a big rock, or by dropping an anvil on it