Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

CelticPredator posted:

Ive been collecting action figures and other garbage for decades now since like 2003 and post pandemic I've noticed an extreme uptick in people hanging around the collectible sections in stores.

Pre 2020 I could walk up to the target Neca section, peruse the stuff and leave. But now? poo poo packed with people. There's always someone there looking at the funkos or whatever. Same with action figures in the toy isle. Now I see more adults hang around those sections.

As someone only peripherally connected to the collectibles scene I do feel like there's been a shift in how collectibles are being pushed. When I think of what motivates the traditional collector, an appreciation of the actual thing they're collecting is usually top of my list - People who collect Transformers think the little transforming robot figures are neat, People who collect Gundams appreciate the artistry and design of the models, etc. Yet there's been kind of a shift on the part of the companies making the collectibles to push a brand as opposed to an actual object.

While it's perhaps a little gauche at this point to dunk on Funko Pops, they're a really illustrative to me of this sort of collecting as consumption mindset. Funko Pops are pretty much all the same and, while there's definitely artistry in simplicity, there's not really much to them - they're all created off the same template, they have no lore or original thought baked into them, their only selling point is the pre-existing media property they're branded with. Like, I can't imagine someone who desperately needs to get the limited edition Golden Pickle Rick Funko Pop because they admire the artistry behind its design, it's just another object to slap a brand label on.

Its like an even worse resurgence of the speculative collectibles bubble of the 1990s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
It's been mentioned a couple times already but yeah Stanley already made expensive tumblers/thermoses for ages, it's not some lovely startup with a gimmicky product that can't be used without an app and explodes if you touch it wrong. I don't really think it's inherently any different than fidget spinners or gel pens or other things that become trendy (yes I know I'm dating myself immensely with these examples)

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

It's important to note that a lot of the Stanley cup discourse is inherently laced with misogyny. This critique and attention hasn't been applied at the same level of Sneakerhead culture, a more male dominated space.

They're the same loving thing. Rampant unchecked consumerism built by false scarcity and marketing.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Slotducks posted:

It's important to note that a lot of the Stanley cup discourse is inherently laced with misogyny. This critique and attention hasn't been applied at the same level of Sneakerhead culture, a more male dominated space.

They're the same loving thing. Rampant unchecked consumerism built by false scarcity and marketing.

who cares. its loser behavior regardless of the gender lol

e: you're right. other consumerist spaces dont get the same level of scrutiny. they should

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Im4YAMWK74

this video kinda sucks cuz it implies korea is uniquely sexist when it comes to internet hate mobs due to neo-confuscionism or something, when that type of poo poo is a worldwide thing. idk maybe someone with a better idea of korean gacha drama could elaborate further since i'm not involved in that community.

also karl jobst is a hack

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I remember that dude made a video on trans characters in Japanese games that was extremely surface level "Japan is a collectivist culture while America is individualist culture" stuff. Wasn't very impressed.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

KingKalamari posted:

While it's perhaps a little gauche at this point to dunk on Funko Pops, they're a really illustrative to me of this sort of collecting as consumption mindset.

I don't think so imo. Here's the thing, the problem I have with funko collectors is like, you have no love for this property. you just love the item. It's odd to me because you search high and low and for what

it means nothing to you.

poo poo like this dude are wild to me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-cbkkj-VNI

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Slotducks posted:

You're definitely right. Sneakerculture elicits similar reactions from me, but you definitely don't see the same derision that gets leveled at...literally anything women do.

Definitely loser behavior either way, but still

FD Signifier shared an older video of his on the complex history of Mike Tyson, and his relationship with masculinity (black masculinity specifically).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC-V9gxqR9M

Which led me to his two-parter about Kanye West and what he meant to parts of the black community who didn't really conform to what mainstream culture considered to be a Typical Black Male, and as someone who doesn't really listen to hip-hop, I think I finally get what made Kanye so special and why his downward spiral is so tragic (despite the obvious)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvgehVhF9D4

Really good watches!

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Cosmonaut Marcus on every Batman film Part 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8h1StRhxs8

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

fun hater posted:

e: i do not own a Stanley cup, but can see the appeal/kind of want one. its huge, has a straw and lid, fits in cup holders and has a handle. and bc it was made for working men originally, they last forever

I own three of them, because I'm the best at sports.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Cosmonaut Marcus on every Batman film Part 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8h1StRhxs8

I liked this well enough but I like Marcus' other big franchise reviews better, I think because in this one he gets too caught up in trying to measure each movie against his own idea of what Batman should be and I just don't care about that very much.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

euroshopper posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Im4YAMWK74

this video kinda sucks cuz it implies korea is uniquely sexist when it comes to internet hate mobs due to neo-confuscionism or something, when that type of poo poo is a worldwide thing. idk maybe someone with a better idea of korean gacha drama could elaborate further since i'm not involved in that community.

also karl jobst is a hack

Gacha is *serious* business in japan/china/korea but that video was not good. It goes somewhere like Confucius -> Gender wars -> Unsexy swimsuit -> Gacha game rage without much to substantiate why the gently caress would that be the case.

My alternate theory is that you don't need Confucius to understand why lovely swimsuit —> Gacha game rage when you're paying 100+ dollars to get it.

Gacha rage -> death threats doesn't need any justification, it's expected by now.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

From what I gathered Korea is not in any way uniquely sexist but President Yoon has basically emboldened incels so they feel even better about vomiting death threats over waifu gachas than they do elsewhere.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The gacha stuff is just the same issue as the Starfield poo poo. Consumers have an emotional connection to the product and want to love it. So if the product doesn't meet they exact wants they would prefer finding a person or people to hate, rather than disliking product.

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021

Saagonsa posted:

I remember that dude made a video on trans characters in Japanese games that was extremely surface level "Japan is a collectivist culture while America is individualist culture" stuff. Wasn't very impressed.

that poo poo's always so lame lol

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

"Japan is so different because of Confucianism," was an essay I wrote back in 7th grade. I'd expect a better thesis from an actual lawyer

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
The striking thing about the Korean anti-feminist movement is how successful their campaigns are even when they're absurdly stupid and minor. 5 days ago the Arknights publisher cut ties with an artist solely because she tweeted in support of international women's day six years ago. There have been multiple controversies because a character makes a hand gesture vaguely close to 🤏, which is apparently a vile attack against men by implying they have tiny penises. Basically any time the incels scream at a company about any grievance, no matter how petty, the company bends completely to their whims. And it's more than just gacha fans, the current Korean president won his campaign off the back of anti-feminist backlash. It's really bad. Gamergate had to morph a bitter ex-boyfriend's rants into a whole conspiracy theory about journalism ethics to get similar public support, and they haven't been anywhere near as successful since. I think framing it as something unique to Korean culture is a little much though - reactionary men's movements the world over would love to have the same success as Korean incels.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Pigbuster posted:

The striking thing about the Korean anti-feminist movement is how successful their campaigns are even when they're absurdly stupid and minor. 5 days ago the Arknights publisher cut ties with an artist solely because she tweeted in support of international women's day six years ago. There have been multiple controversies because a character makes a hand gesture vaguely close to 🤏, which is apparently a vile attack against men by implying they have tiny penises. Basically any time the incels scream at a company about any grievance, no matter how petty, the company bends completely to their whims. And it's more than just gacha fans, the current Korean president won his campaign off the back of anti-feminist backlash. It's really bad. Gamergate had to morph a bitter ex-boyfriend's rants into a whole conspiracy theory about journalism ethics to get similar public support, and they haven't been anywhere near as successful since. I think framing it as something unique to Korean culture is a little much though - reactionary men's movements the world over would love to have the same success as Korean incels.

The situation regarding feminism in Korea is a very depressing and disturbing situation but one slightly humorous thing is how you can never draw a character with the index finger and thumb extended in Korea ever again.

Behold the secret feminist handsignal.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
women have enjoyed opposable thumbs for too long

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

mycot posted:

The situation regarding feminism in Korea is a very depressing and disturbing situation but one slightly humorous thing is how you can never draw a character with the index finger and thumb extended in Korea ever again.

Behold the secret feminist handsignal.

Send the biggest losers in to a frothing rage with this ONE WEIRD TRICK

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
The idea is that the hand gesture is a sign that the company has been infiltrated by sleeper feminists who plan to destroy gaming (and they spend all their time slipping in visible clues about their plan like all conspiracies do because ???). Basically it's more dumb woke agenda stuff but with old fashioned woman hating instead of being laser focused on trans and gay people.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

when an incel doesn't score

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
No, you see, the big-titty succubus with the womb tattoo in the transparent maid outfit is making the fem-signal with her hands. The feminazis obviously designed her.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Happy Landfill posted:

This comment basically sums up the large diatribe I was just about to post

I say this as a white lady myself, but white ladies who are really in to collecting things are something else. Like those ladies that were really in to the pottery brand you get at TJ Maxx and Homegoods. I can't think of anything I collect that would make me go the length of duking it out with people at loving Target

Good username in the context of this topic

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

All I know about white lady collecting is that it is not a new phenomenon.
Grandma loving loves her Hummels.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

mycot posted:

The idea is that the hand gesture is a sign that the company has been infiltrated by sleeper feminists who plan to destroy gaming (and they spend all their time slipping in visible clues about their plan like all conspiracies do because ???). Basically it's more dumb woke agenda stuff but with old fashioned woman hating instead of being laser focused on trans and gay people.

Yeah it's basically qanon but instead of it being about how the gay trans are destroying culture and are secretly.evil it's just women.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

B33rChiller posted:

All I know about white lady collecting is that it is not a new phenomenon.
Grandma loving loves her Hummels.

Nendoroids are just Precious Moments action figures

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

more then a dingus YouTuber writing at a 12th grade level, I'd recommend the short story collection Flowers of Mold by Ha Seong-nan which does a much better job of representing Korean culture and the way misogyny is expressed because it's by a Korean woman.

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021

mycot posted:

i think a lot of people forget the rw culture war was very explicitly anti-feminist prior to 2017, and that blaire white grew in popularity because she and fellow anti-sj trans women were seen as brave minority dissidents against the powerful feminists

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021
basically some trans women were tolerated in reactionary circles before the push for mainstream acceptance grew around 2018, which then the anti-feminist culture war dudes moved onto the anti-trans stuff from my recollection

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

you can't control women without first controlling who is a woman

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
aww, are stanleys a trend now? i have an old stanley thermos i stole from my dad that's great for coffee, now what do i do with it?

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Karasu Tengu posted:

aww, are stanleys a trend now? i have an old stanley thermos i stole from my dad that's great for coffee, now what do i do with it?

Take a selfie with it for 1000's of likes

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

I feel like if I leave this thumbnail open on my monitor for more than 5 minutes it's going to permanently burn an impression onto the screen.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Karasu Tengu posted:

it's probably not the specific style everyone is buying so it's still uncool, don't worry

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Nuns with Guns posted:

I feel like if I leave this thumbnail open on my monitor for more than 5 minutes it's going to permanently burn an impression onto the screen.

He didn’t even get the wackiest Funko, total false advertising.

The wackiest Funko is “dead Laura Palmer in plastic wrap” and I reject all alternative answers.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

a big thing in korea is also what happened with geun-hye. imagine if hillary clinton got elected president and then was revealed to literally, actually be the puppet of an insane cult and then they Locked Her Up. imagine the state of feminism in the US if that happened.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

and i wouldnt say 'korea is uniquely sexist' exactly but i do think there is a unique set of circumstances and environments over there that makes it much more volatile and leads to stuff like this. like korean guys tried to go after one of the artists on genshin impact because she's a korean feminist who moved to china and outright had old tweets making fun of men, and the genshin devs just ignored them completely because they had no particular reason to fire one of their lead artists because of some guys in one of the many regions the game was released in. and the korean dudes literally could not comprehend that they were being ignored cause theyd had so much success with korean companies. so there is something to unpack there.

edit: also if it makes everyone feel better the guys going after genshin also got scammed out of thousands of dollars because some guy rolled up and was like 'hey send all your money to this anonymous donation box and i will uhhh, spend it on getting the genshin devs to care, somehow' and then everyone actually did put money in. and then he ran off of course. so miracles really do happen

Endorph fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jan 23, 2024

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Saagonsa posted:

that videos really funny because he seems to be under the impression bridget is the first japanese video game character to ever be trans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Endorph posted:

a big thing in korea is also what happened with geun-hye. imagine if hillary clinton got elected president and then was revealed to literally, actually be the puppet of an insane cult and then they Locked Her Up. imagine the state of feminism in the US if that happened.

If we are thinking the same person it's that president who wasn't immediately at the scene of one of Korea 's worst ferry disaster because she was busy doing some cult ceremony poo poo, right? Also remembering how shinzo Abe was assassinated due to him promoting the moonies and now Japan is actively scrubbing out his legacy