Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/riotgames/status/1749568564162625923?t=YoQXpRbmFuJiAl-zQiMoAQ&s=19

530 people, 11% of their force

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

they're also putting an end to riot forge, their IP outsourcing experiment, and shrinking legends of runeterra's scope so that they'll be focusing on the PVE component over PVP support (which will probably mean fewer new decks and balance updates)

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Have they even added anything for PvE in Legends in years? I was under the impression the single player stuff was long since dead in the water, they haven't even bothered populating the rewards for a big chunk of the monthly quests for god knows how long, they are literally empty, and they haven't finished a single character campaign since it launched.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

GlyphGryph posted:

Have they even added anything for PvE in Legends in years? I was under the impression the single player stuff was long since dead in the water, they haven't even bothered populating the rewards for a big chunk of the monthly quests for god knows how long, they are literally empty, and they haven't finished a single character campaign since it launched.

couldn't tell you with any certainty since it's out of my wheelhouse, but everything they've been saying there and in other videos is that their primary focus is supporting Path of Champions as best they can, with the unstated part being that they can no longer afford to maintain development of new decks due to a lack of interest

it bigtime sucks since LoR was a phenomenally produced product that had a ton of inspired redesigns of some of the OG league champs, so having it go into semi-maintenance mode feels like a big loss

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Did it never take off?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

runeterra? it has a huge elaborate roguelike deckbuilder mode thats far and away the most popular thing about that game for awhile now. as good as it was its always been an obvious double edged sword because it cast an increasingly darkening shadow over the rest of the game because regular runeterra is not very monetizable by card game standards. they dont sell packs, its incredibly easy to make good decks for cheap, and its not draftable. game was too friendly for its own good and like half the shop is stuff for the single player mode (which incredibly deliberately does have blind packs to open)

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Rinkles posted:

Did it never take off?

no, sadly; even on launch, it had middling twitch numbers that fell off a cliff into irrelevance, and all the tournaments i'd see pop up in my youtube feed generally had <100 viewers

i've been told secondhand that it was a fairly well-designed card game with a remarkably fair MTX model, but it was diving into an oversaturated market where sunk costs are high, so i'm not surprised it withered on the vine

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/RAWRLABGames/status/1749543805366202841

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
re:runeterra

the pvp never took off, the pve was the thing that kept drawing peoples attention and was the only reason I ever cared about the game much, and it was a similar story for a lot of other people I knew who tried it. so it was kind baffling when they announced "we can't figure out how to monetize this, so we're ending development to focus on pvp!" last year. better to have a game you can't figure out how to monetize yet than a game that nobody plays, imo! I guess they've realized this too.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I downloaded hearthstone a couple weeks ago on a whim and its crazy how many abandoned modes are in there that came and went until they stumbled into battlegrounds' popularity. rear end card game that they desperately tried to spin off into something else for years vs incredibly good card game that also very quickly zeroed in on a fun single player mode. too bad they cant win for losing

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

homeless snail posted:

runeterra? it has a huge elaborate roguelike deckbuilder mode thats far and away the most popular thing about that game for awhile now.

Yeah, I knew that - but it's also cobbled together of a bunch of half finished bits and pieces and "Coming Soon" screens, and it's been like that since it released so I'd just assumed they'd abandoned the single player to focus on the multiplayer a long time ago. The only new thing they actually added I can remember was a mode that randomly combined the half-finished stuff into "new missions". I love the game, but the fact they never managed to finish even a single character's campaign was incredibly disappointing.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i assume PoC got a big ol' bump post-arcane when people were searching for non-PVP league content, and that got them to dump more money into it after it had some success

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Reposting a substack from I someone I think used to post here, about the AI panic around Palworld:

https://www.garbageday.email/p/pokmon-guns-ai-art-hysteria

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Vermain posted:

i assume PoC got a big ol' bump post-arcane when people were searching for non-PVP league content, and that got them to dump more money into it after it had some success
yeah not a coincidence that the arcane characters were the first ones they added

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
I thought those smaller Riot Forge games were pretty good. And it was nice seeing smaller teams get a chance with a bigger IP. But, they didn't make ALL the money so of course they gotta go. :mad:

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

Reposting a substack from I someone I think used to post here, about the AI panic around Palworld:

https://www.garbageday.email/p/pokmon-guns-ai-art-hysteria

quote:

You wake up on a map that is pretty much identical to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild or a cartoony Elden Ring

okay, cmon guy, you can't just say something like this randomly. Do you mean to tell me that Palworld has an impeccably-designed overworld map full of secrets and dungeons and hidden adventures comparable to literally the two best open world games in recent memory? Does it really?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

it does. hate to see it

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

there IS a giant tree off in the distance...

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Paying2Lurk posted:

I thought those smaller Riot Forge games were pretty good. And it was nice seeing smaller teams get a chance with a bigger IP. But, they didn't make ALL the money so of course they gotta go. :mad:

i'm not entirely sure what the structure was like, but after giving it some thought and reading other comments, i think it's likely that riot was giving them the funding and helping to provide its VA talent at bare minimum, so it was less a case of old WotC-esque "just check in with us if you've got any story/art questions" brand management and more a "make a game for us in your bespoke style" thing, and that doesn't seem to be financially feasible in the given climate

definitely a big loss for me though, since i thought everything they put out under the label was of excellent quality. they've still got that bandle city stardewalike that's coming out pretty soon, so at least they get a nice sendoff

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

My dumb question... Where did the 2023 GOTY thread go? I got pulled away for other things and didn't get a chance to finish reading it. Now I can't find it for some reason.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Phenotype posted:

okay, cmon guy, you can't just say something like this randomly. Do you mean to tell me that Palworld has an impeccably-designed overworld map full of secrets and dungeons and hidden adventures comparable to literally the two best open world games in recent memory? Does it really?

It does.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The Grey posted:

My dumb question... Where did the 2023 GOTY thread go? I got pulled away for other things and didn't get a chance to finish reading it. Now I can't find it for some reason.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4048665

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Thanks!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

homeless snail posted:

I downloaded hearthstone a couple weeks ago on a whim and its crazy how many abandoned modes are in there that came and went until they stumbled into battlegrounds' popularity. rear end card game that they desperately tried to spin off into something else for years vs incredibly good card game that also very quickly zeroed in on a fun single player mode. too bad they cant win for losing

Yet another epic w for Yu-Gi-Oh! Master Duel.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Phenotype posted:

Yeah it's really good actually, I'm surprised too

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Yet another epic w for Yu-Gi-Oh! Master Duel.
they loving killed cross duel. gently caress this gay planet

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

you can't always judge a book by its cover, like i was completely convinced last year that lies of P would be an epic stinker after the "all puppets are bastards" thing but it turned out to be one of the year's best games and one of the best iterations of its genre

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I will continue judging books by their covers because, I got enough books already

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

homeless snail posted:

they loving killed cross duel. gently caress this gay planet

Dark Souls archetype in tcg soon...

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I miss fantasy novels having poorly drawn scenes from the novels, or random scenes entirely invented by the illustrator out of lack of interest. There's a lot of either Ai art or just fancy design work now that makes everything look the same.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I like novels with embossed covers!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

pop-up books ftw

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

I miss fantasy novels having poorly drawn scenes from the novels, or random scenes entirely invented by the illustrator out of lack of interest. There's a lot of either Ai art or just fancy design work now that makes everything look the same.

my pet favorite is the style of cover like the old discworld novels with kirby's art where the goal seems to be "how much poo poo can i cram into this postcard-size drawing"

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Vermain posted:

my pet favorite is the style of cover like the old discworld novels with kirby's art where the goal seems to be "how much poo poo can i cram into this postcard-size drawing"

I feel better about that kind of art now that we've seen what minimalism has done to cover art. It does make it feel like a CYOA book though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I like when a book gets an exclusive cover for the Japanese edition

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

know youre in for some poo poo when you see <下>

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

HopperUK posted:

Yeah it's really good actually, I'm surprised too

Okay I can't figure out if people are being sarcastic anymore. Does it really have a well-designed open world with secrets everywhere? I skipped it cause I thought it was just another survival thing with pokemon attached with a janky overly-big map full of cheap textures.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, from what it looks like, they released Light of the Jedi and Into the Dark in two volumes each in Japan for whatever reason

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Phenotype posted:

Okay I can't figure out if people are being sarcastic anymore. Does it really have a well-designed open world with secrets everywhere? I skipped it cause I thought it was just another survival thing with pokemon attached with a janky overly-big map full of cheap textures.

I haven't played enough to know if there are 'secrets everywhere' but the world looks good to me, very pretty and varied. If you pop into the dedicated thread there'll be people who are further along who can tell you more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

ac6 rules

balteus was such a fun fight. too bad i only got to fight it once :smug: