Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
And if the Niners lose I'm still going to support Goff because Go Bears. IYKYK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Coldforge posted:

That was the season Staley broke his leg and was out until the playoffs, McGlinchey was out for several games, and they were constantly juggling backups. :confused: The protection was middling at best without Staley there, they relied hugely on Jimmy's quick release for large stretches.

For sure though, Jimmy melting down at the end of the Super Bowl was the dagger :smith: Did Jimmy's rapid decline just wipe out everything he did in people's minds?

Probably most of what I remember best is from the playoffs. Jimmy always felt one-dimensional to me, even when he was at his best. Part of that was probably Shanahan keeping him on a pretty tight leash. Then as the injuries piled up he started to feel fragile as well, and he was never particularly great at handling pressure. I was done with him for a year or two before the team decided they were.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Also, there was nothing more doomed than the Jimmy G two minute drill. He was just never that kind of dynamic QB.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

trilljester posted:

And if the Niners lose I'm still going to support Goff because Go Bears. IYKYK.

100% go NFC

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Vox Nihili posted:

Also, there was nothing more doomed than the Jimmy G two minute drill. He was just never that kind of dynamic QB.

Definitely not a Montana or Young. I guess maybe Garcia was the last Niners QB who you could trust with a 2 minute drill. Not sold on Brock yet.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

trilljester posted:

Definitely not a Montana or Young. I guess maybe Garcia was the last Niners QB who you could trust with a 2 minute drill. Not sold on Brock yet.

This is Alex Smith erasure. Was his goodness 2 minutes? I can't remember.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
I don't even know if 49er fans deserve a good QB anymore, jfc. If you're not a HoF QB, we don't want you, apparently.

Hey Seahawks fans, how's Geno doing for y'all?

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Coldforge posted:

I don't even know if 49er fans deserve a good QB anymore, jfc. If you're not a HoF QB, we don't want you, apparently.

Hey Seahawks fans, how's Geno doing for y'all?

Not good enough but all we got :(

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Mustached Demon posted:

This is Alex Smith erasure. Was his goodness 2 minutes? I can't remember.

As a lifelong 49ers fan I'd love to forget Alex Smith except for that one game against the Saints.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Coldforge posted:

I jumped on Team Brock after his first couple starts.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
Deebo's shoulder doesn't have any damage, and there was no concussion at all (purely a precautionary check required from the booth).

Pain is the barrier to him playing on Sunday, 50/50 if he'll go.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

the fix is in :tinfoil:

https://twitter.com/_MLFootball/status/1748879501268845004
https://twitter.com/_MLFootball/status/1748927792140468263

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

trilljester posted:

As a lifelong 49ers fan I'd love to forget Alex Smith except for that one game against the Saints.

Alex Smith just needed the right coach to unlock his true potential. Then he did well.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

kaep put together some supreme 2 minute drives IIRC
also some real stinkers

one thing that jimmy g was underrated for is understanding shanny's offense, which is complicated and hard to deal with and I think beyond some of the QBs we've seen just be lost in the pocket. I think darnold has to be fed a more limited playbook, and guys like Mullins and Beathard just couldn't cope at all.

BTW I do actually remember the niners starting bad QBs. Like Mullins. And Beathard.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Leperflesh posted:

BTW I do actually remember the niners starting bad QBs. Like Mullins. And Beathard.

Hoyer. Gabbert. Hill and OSullivan :suicide:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Remember Tim Rattay and his 4th quarter ints? Thats JT O sullivan :v:

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

I was so close to getting a JT O'Sullivan jersey that one time

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Coldforge posted:

Hoyer. Gabbert. Hill and OSullivan :suicide:

i wonder if anyone out there has a cards josh rosen jersey

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Leperflesh posted:

kaep put together some supreme 2 minute drives IIRC
also some real stinkers

one thing that jimmy g was underrated for is understanding shanny's offense, which is complicated and hard to deal with and I think beyond some of the QBs we've seen just be lost in the pocket. I think darnold has to be fed a more limited playbook, and guys like Mullins and Beathard just couldn't cope at all.

Ken Dorsey. I rest my case.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
I look forward to Purdy getting a 50MM apy contract in like 2026 and the Niners being mediocre for 5 years after. Until then it is nothing but suffering for the rest of us as he piles up great results on decent to above average play.
This weekend wasn't even average, he was straight up bad, but I will admit that's mostly the rain (and makes Love look even more amazing).

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I don't know if you noticed but Love was just as bad if not worse

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Alex Smith.... was good.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

DancingMachine posted:

I look forward to Purdy getting a 50MM apy contract in like 2026 and the Niners being mediocre for 5 years after. Until then it is nothing but suffering for the rest of us as he piles up great results on decent to above average play.
This weekend wasn't even average, he was straight up bad, but I will admit that's mostly the rain (and makes Love look even more amazing).

Love looked pretty bad! He was missing all over the place in the second half, then threw an int with the game on the line. The weather was definitely trouble for both of them.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I do want to reiterate: Bosa made that last int happen.

Doesn't make up for him getting sealed off by a drat receiver though.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
Good news, it's going to be cloudy and a balmy 69 on Sunday in Santa Clara.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
It was 1st or 2nd down, he could've just thrown it away, it was an insanely stupid decision, major choke play

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

DancingMachine posted:

I look forward to Purdy getting a 50MM apy contract in like 2026

If that's all the 49ers have to pay him in 2026, I will be ecstatic.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

trilljester posted:

Good news, it's going to be cloudy and a balmy 69 on Sunday in Santa Clara.

nice

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Papercut posted:

It was 1st or 2nd down, he could've just thrown it away, it was an insanely stupid decision, major choke play

Love spent the early part of the season doing that and once they were behind and needed late heroics he reverted to form. You Love to see it.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Papercut posted:

loves ints were both very much on him even if there was some bad luck on the first one too it was a very poor throw. both QBs showed their inexperience with the situation and the weather in that game badly. Jones and the depressingly good Packers line kept them in it, and McCaffrey and some very opportune defense won it for the Niners. I suspect the two of them will have more impressive duels in the future

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Til I Cum - East

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Those First Things First guys are so insufferable

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I suspect part of the 49ers troubles was due to being too tight. They HAVE to win. Losing before the NFCCG after getting the #1 seed/bye would have been a massive failure. Especially after the last two years. Year one, they just ran out of gas in the 4th quarter of the NFCCG. Too many injuries and exhaustion caught up with them. Then last year we know what happened. They focused on getting the #1 this year and it worked out.

I think they probably got it out of their system and are probably going to blow out Detroit on Sunday.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Colonel Whitey posted:

Those First Things First guys are so insufferable

Nick Wright is a loving tool

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

watching the first (i think) PI by thomas.. still committed the PI but he kinda got hung out to dry since he was suppose to have safety help but the safety cheated into the middle because two receivers were crossing in front of him.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

JPrime posted:

I remember being excited for the Rosen era

Not enough to buy a jersey though

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Qwijib0 posted:

I remember being excited for the Rosen era

Not enough to buy a jersey though

i went looking on ebay, you can definitely pick up some gear there. trying to think of what would be the most obscure/worst jersey to show up to a cards home game in. Max Hall? John Skelton?

eta: when I went to the last cards game a couple weeks ago I did see a dude rocking a Leinart jersey.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Emmitt Smith

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
Daniel does a good job breaking down all the weird looks the Packers gave Purdy, the good/bad things Purdy did, and why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOrS3RtQmKY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

JPrime posted:

I do. Picked it up on clearance. Still in it’s packaging.