Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
The Peter Pinguid Society was right all along!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Computer viking posted:

The propeller ones with long wingspan supposedly have enough range, IIRC? Flying through Russia would be a bet against the quality of their AA and radar coverage, of course.

The point is that you don't have to bet much. The cost of two fixed-wing drones is low enough that you can afford to lose 10 long shots for one that succeeds and still count yourself massively ahead.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Burns posted:

Apparently Puts is now claiming lebensraum on Alaska.

Lmao.

They're also trying to claim parts of Finland. Their logic is that they were Russian possessions back when Finland was a Russian vassal, so they should be given back to descendants of whoever owned them back then.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Subjunctive posted:

How did Ukraine get those drones to the target? Sneak into the Baltic and launch from there?

They have drones with up to 1000 km range. It's plenty if you launch from northern Ukraine.

Two drones were spotted near St. Petersburg around 1:00, before turning towards Ust-Luga. Assuming a ground speed of 160 km it would take about 5 h to reach St. Petersburg, which suggests they were launched soon after sunset at around 17:00 to avoid visual identification. It's safe to assume they fly low to avoid radar detection.

These drones only have a payload of 75 kg, so they aren't going to bring down bridges or anything. They're perfectly suitable for strikes against soft targets like fuel terminals.

I'm not sure if Ukraine can strike the oil ports in Primorsk and Vysotsk. The drones would have to traverse the Gulf of Finland and might be visible on radar over open water.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Burns posted:

Lmao.

https://i.imgur.com/1dZt8O0.mp4

(audio on direct link, but it's exactly what you expect)

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Russia leave Sami soil.

The sami were there first, right?

Wait better hand it all over to the africans, just to be sure.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Karate Bastard posted:

Wait better hand it all over to the africans, just to be sure.

The True Finns would have some Opinions about that.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

They're also trying to claim parts of Finland. Their logic is that they were Russian possessions back when Finland was a Russian vassal, so they should be given back to descendants of whoever owned them back then.

tfw someone asks Russia's government to perhaps make use of the admittedly very nice 11% of Earth's land mass it already physically occupies rather than trying to invade or beleaguer people for more land:

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Wanna see a wrong-off competition between the frue finns and russia

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Coolguye posted:

https://i.imgur.com/1dZt8O0.mp4

(audio on direct link, but it's exactly what you expect)

They'll freeze before making it 10 miles from the coastline if they try.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I am fairly certain several pissed off moose could match a Russian battalion

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Watching russia try to do an amphibious invasion of Alaska would be pretty funny, tbh.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

mobby_6kl posted:

Watching russia try to do an amphibious invasion of Alaska would be pretty funny, tbh.

Someone has to explain to Putin that their entire invasion force drowned because the rubber dinghy rolled over.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Don't they have like hundreds of dinghies? Just in the kremlin?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Burns posted:

Lmao.

It's Palin's time to shine!

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Karate Bastard posted:

Fallout: An Airplane: Operation Wankerage

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Burns posted:

Lmao.

Yeah, seems pretty delusional, and most would assume they wouldn't do anything that stupid, but (gestures at everything)
Also, if Trump wins, who knows what might happen.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ł ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Bone Crimes posted:

Yeah, seems pretty delusional, and most would assume they wouldn't do anything that stupid, but (gestures at everything)
Also, if Trump wins, who knows what might happen.

lol the military would be completely opposed to whatever Trump decided to do if he did it, there's a fuckin missile test range on Kodiak, not to mention what's on the mainland proper

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I would like to watch the entire Russian artic navy get taken out by a fleet of idled Alaskan crab boats on a rumour that they are taking out of season Kings.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

MrQwerty posted:

lol the military would be completely opposed to whatever Trump decided to do if he did it, there's a fuckin missile test range on Kodiak, not to mention what's on the mainland proper

Hmm, I don't know. A pentagon full of Kash Patel's might have a different opinion of our "joint exercises". Not saying it would 100% happen, but saying it couldn't happen is pre 2016 thinking.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1749529565527970130#m

quote:

⚡️ Belarus wants to expand its business in the temporarily occupied territories of Ukraine, reports the Center of National Resistance (CNS).

It is noted that Belarus plans to open a consulate in Rostov-on-Don by July 1. It will actually serve the residents of the temporarily occupied territories of Ukraine and help Belarusian businesses establish ties with the regions occupied by russia.

Thus, in fact, the neighboring state once again supported the occupation of a sovereign country and violated international law, - added the Central Committee of the Central Intelligence Agency.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Belarus trying once again to get an edge in the rubble and expended tungsten fragment industry. Their old wheelhouse. Crafty move on their part.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Waffle House posted:

tfw someone asks Russia's government to perhaps make use of the admittedly very nice 11% of Earth's land mass it already physically occupies rather than trying to invade or beleaguer people for more land:

Russia was cursed with very poor land, with almost no naturally occurring factories or wild high tech manufacturing PHDs

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
last night I was playing the fallout3 dlc with Alaska missions it's a sign

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

last night I was playing the fallout3 dlc with Alaska missions it's a sign

been saying this

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
the alaska thing is another one of the "addled weird things" that putin does because we hear it and we assume oh, clearly we should hear it

the statement makes substantially more sense if you assume it is focused at a russia-internal audience and it just happens to be said loud enough for us to overhear.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/bayraktar_1love/status/1749541793132396632
Now I've seen everything.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Going to assume this is to place the tank on a cargo ship and not from shore. Submarines should be no where near land for many reasons.

Also we already did this with calliope rockets on D-Day off of tanks.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Is Ukraine deploying a lot of submarines to the front these days?

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Karate Bastard posted:

Nice

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

The Locator posted:

Is Ukraine deploying a lot of submarines to the front these days?

If turning Russian surface ships into submarines is considered deploying, then yes

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Crab Dad posted:

Going to assume this is to place the tank on a cargo ship and not from shore. Submarines should be no where near land for many reasons.

Also we already did this with calliope rockets on D-Day off of tanks.

I'm guessing if you jerry rig different fuzes into those depth charges you get several-steps-below-wish.com rocket artillery with poor capacity, range, and accuracy.

or you know it's pointless and you scream "for hate's sake i stab at thee" in russian before firing 12 totally ineffectual depth charges in the vague direction of the enemy before getting vaporized by 155mm competently directed by counterbattery radar and forward observers. :shrug:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

ComfyPants posted:

If turning Russian surface ships into submarines is considered deploying, then yes

by this logic these are anti-submarine missiles because they will be staying on land

checkmate!

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I just want to see Russia's offense climax and empty its translucent milky white payload all over the occupied territories before it fucks off.

No, wait I mean like, this thing

https://www.strategicfront.org/forums/threads/us-spy-plane-pilots-account-indicates-soviet-russia-tested-a-dome-of-light-superweapon.2762/

quote:

As we looked for traffic, we noticed what appeared to be a translucent, milky white wall moving from the left, over the USSR, to the right, toward the Northern Pacific Ocean. It covered the entire sky from ground level to as far up as we could see looking out the front windows of the airplane. It moved very quickly—far faster than crossing airplane traffic—and rapidly approached us. The wall of light passed across our flight path and then continued eastward, leaving the empty and dark night sky in its wake. Our programmed turn time arrived and we began our bank to the left to collect on the RVs. Once we rolled out southbound the wall of light was no longer visible to the east.

then again given the age of the Russian missile in question, its translucent milky white ejecting days likely are long past given the ravages of time and alcohol on the missile-servicing corps.

Still it would be cool if they could shoot one more off.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

tiaz posted:

or you know it's pointless and you scream "for hate's sake i stab at thee" in russian before firing 12 totally ineffectual depth charges in the vague direction of the enemy before getting vaporized by 155mm competently directed by counterbattery radar and forward observers. :shrug:
According to Wikipedia it can be used for shore bombardment. A weapon like this makes sense at close range if you can't use torpedoes but if a submarine can get that close to you then you're probably screwed anyway.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Another massive missile attack happened at night, dozens of civilians were wounded in Kyiv and mainly Kharkiv where apartment building was hit, 2 confirmed killed

short thread
on air defense near St. Petersburg, Pantsirs were allegedly missing because they were redeployed to Putin's dacha

quote:

1/ An audacious Ukrainian UAV attack on gas facilities near St Petersburg was reportedly enabled by a chronic shortage of usable air defence systems in the area, as a result of them being redeployed to protect Putin's luxury residence at Lake Valdai.

2/ The VChK-OGPU Telegram channel reports that Pantsir S1 short range air defence (SHORAD) systems formerly based in the St Petersburg areas were mostly redeployed to protect a "particularly important" facility in Valdai, i.e. Putin's residence there.

3/ It was reported before the war in Ukraine that Russia had established a Pantsir regiment in St Petersburg. However, apart from mostly being redeployed to Valdai, its Pantsirs have reportedly also been sent to Ukraine and one was lost in an accident.

4/ VChK-OGPU comments: "Today, it is simply impossible to take St. Petersburg and the Leningrad Oblast into a circumferential air defence network, as well as important strategic enterprises, due to a shortage of anti-aircraft missile systems."

5/ It notes that the local air defence units are mainly equipped with longer-range systems such as the S-300, S-400 and Buk M1, which have difficulty engaging small, slow targets travelling at low altitudes.

6/ In response to the attack, ASTRA reports that Russia has deployed S-300s to protect sites in the region around St Petersburg. A video recorded by a local resident shows an S-300 on the road. "So, guys, we’re preparing for the worst,” he says. /end

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Jan 23, 2024

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Crab Dad posted:

No, it's just a way of throwing a lot of HE over a short distance. It's a trench clearing tool, using munitions that Russia doesn't believe it's going to need (Ukraine doesn't have submarines) modified to do a job they need done and don't have enough munitions for.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Coolguye posted:

the alaska thing is another one of the "addled weird things" that putin does because we hear it and we assume oh, clearly we should hear it

the statement makes substantially more sense if you assume it is focused at a russia-internal audience and it just happens to be said loud enough for us to overhear.

Most dictator yapping has this purpose.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
all dictatoring is basically internal. getting to lead a country of 150 million peeps is the main task, and you ignite stupid wars in service of the task. juice your legitimacy with this one weird trick four times (dagestan, chechnya, georgia, donbas), but oops, fifth time was a fuckup

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jan 23, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

bob dobbs is dead posted:

all dictatoring is basically internal. getting to lead a country of 150 million peeps is the main task, and you ignite stupid wars in service of the task. juice your legitimacy with this one weird trick four times (dagestan, chechnya, georgia, donbas), but oops, fifth time was a fuckup

You also get to stare approvingly at cucumbers and have the world media analyse weird whiteboard doodles you do. Sweet gig if you can get it.