Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

he's come a long way since advertising his pizza restaurant on carolina huddle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
Oh God I remember that place. The pizza sucked. The cheese was awful and horribly overpriced. Thank you for providing the one piece of context that could have made this any worse.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
It kind of has stopped being funny with the Panthers.

lol j/k lol

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
hey at least dan morgan made 18 tackles in the super bowl, you can't say that about fitterrer or hurney

EIGHTEEN!

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

The Panthers have always been either milquetoast or super fun to watch. Why couldn't this happen to a franchise that deserves it like the Saints?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

zimbomonkey posted:

The Panthers have always been either milquetoast or super fun to watch. Why couldn't this happen to a franchise that deserves it like the Saints?

Soon.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

zimbomonkey posted:

Buddy do you know our history before Sean Payton

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Hes worked as part of a front office for Carolina, Seattle, Buffalo and now Carolina again for 14 years.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
Rank of preferences for Baker
1. Let him walk
2. Pay him so much you can't afford Evans
3. Pay him that 180 or whatever because that's also probably too much

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

MJBuddy posted:

Rank of preferences for Baker
1. Let him walk
2. Pay him so much you can't afford Evans
3. Pay him that 180 or whatever because that's also probably too much

Rude.

Pay him a reasonable amount for like 2-3 years or far better just franchise tag him this year and pay Evans. Then draft someone in the 2nd and see if they develop over the year. Fire Bowles next year and let the new HC (Canales?) make a decision.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Silly Burrito posted:

Buddy do you know our history before Sean Payton

You think Gregg Williams shouldn't negate all of that universal goodwill and then some?

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

zimbomonkey posted:

The Panthers have always been either milquetoast or super fun to watch.

Me, six years ago: Man, I'm really tired of how up and down the Panthers are. Would be really nice to have some consistency for once!

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Rude.

Pay him a reasonable amount for like 2-3 years or far better just franchise tag him this year and pay Evans. Then draft someone in the 2nd and see if they develop over the year. Fire Bowles next year and let the new HC (Canales?) make a decision.

Bad news about Evans and Canales

https://x.com/justblande/status/1749567266767683946?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

zimbomonkey posted:

You think Gregg Williams shouldn't negate all of that universal goodwill and then some?

I think we’ve paid our penalty enough for the sins of Gregggggg.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

ughhhhhhh

I mean, if he jumps then we should be very careful about giving Baker anything longer than a 2-3 year contract. It also makes it more likely that Bowles gets fired next year bc the chances he hits on 2 coordinators in a row is pretty low.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

ughhhhhhh

I mean, if he jumps then we should be very careful about giving Baker anything longer than a 2-3 year contract. It also makes it more likely that Bowles gets fired next year bc the chances he hits on 2 coordinators in a row is pretty low.

Yeah, Baker was a great fit for Canalas offense and if he is gone I'm with you in doubting Bowles can find another good OC.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

you say this like Tepper isn't going to insist on Slowik bc of his work with Stroud

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Honestly between Slowik and Canales I'd take Canales. He's shown an ability to work with small QBs and dudes who've struggled and he's made them into solid starters. Slowik had a good year but Stroud is so insanely gifted idk how much credit goes to the OC.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I'd think Tepper would avoid Slowik just because of the success he had with Stroud.

Some petty billionaire sociopath thing

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
That would be pretty mental.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

FizFashizzle posted:

I'd think Tepper would avoid Slowik just because of the success he had with Stroud.

Some petty billionaire sociopath thing

I completely buy this theory.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

That would be pretty mental.

Extreme wealth causes brain damage.

At this point the Panthers are a quaint Scandinavian village, and Tepper is a weird looking kid in a dark shed scribbling in a book.

This is the Panthers first round pick

This is me

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Tbh if the panthers hire someone that doesn't end up doing completely stupid poo poo in the preseason and some interior line pieces can actually stay healthy there will be a marked improvement. The bar is so low at the moment.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
The best person to stand up to the owner is the guy that was too afraid to stand up to the last GM.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I mean. We can give it 6 months and see how he goes before having a meltdown.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i feel like canales jumping to carolina is going to end poorly for all parties involved if it happens

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

kidcoelacanth posted:

i feel like canales jumping to carolina is going to end poorly for all parties involved if it happens

tbf you could say that for nearly every hire Tepper could make

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

kidcoelacanth posted:

i mean no one thinks there's a way Carolina is good while Tepper is being this much of a meddling rear end in a top hat right? Canales might at least make them look less pathetic if he can work his voodoo short qb magic on Bryce

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

i mean no one thinks there's a way Carolina is good while Tepper is being this much of a meddling rear end in a top hat right? Canales might at least make them look less pathetic if he can work his voodoo short qb magic on Bryce

The only path forward is to get breathing space to let a competent coach and GM build something. Which means some form of near immediate improvement.

There is a path to that if they can get the offensive line working, another few value pieces and a coach who can get something to work offensively.

Whether or not they can catch lightning in a bottle and get that guy is another story.

But best case is they get someone competent who's able to get some wins on the board and get things looking acceptable and hope to hit again on the next pieces and the next draft etc etc.

Winning kind of solves everything but when you're banking on luck over competence you're in for a bad time. Basically though you have a roster that lost all its leaders, got injured at the worst times in the worst places and had no effective leadership from arguably anywhere, in the building.

Its just all been bad, all the time.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

The weird thing about Tepper's coaching/staffing decisions thus far is that most of those moves were broadly praised when they happened, and it's largely hindsight that makes them look so bad. Rhule was seen as a gamble, to be sure, but he was known as a program builder and it was thus also seen as a novel, swashbuckling, out-of-the-box approach (and when it became clear that the experiment had failed, Tepper still brought him back for another season, so the "quick to fire/impatient" tag is kind of inaccurate as well). Fitterer was seen as a great get because of his time scouting/building successful rosters in Seattle, Reich was viewed as a bit risky but brought an enormously experienced, respected, and all-star staff that had the Panthers near the top of "best offseason" lists...I don't think any of these decisions were viewed as horrifying at the time (at least not universally), it's just that absolutely none of them panned out. Even now, no one would ever argue that we should've kept Rivera, Rhule, Hurney, Reich, or Fitterer, so the Panthers have been making the right calls in that regard, they just can't seem to push the right buttons with their replacements.

RumbleFish fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 24, 2024

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Panthers interviewing Dave Canalas and Raheem Morris today. Both second interviews.

Henron
Feb 19, 2010

Arms held out
In your Jesus Christ pose
Rich McKay sucks man.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
Scott Fitterer was the common denominator. Dude kept a low profile so he flew under the radar, but he developed one of the worst rosters possible.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

three posted:

Scott Fitterer was the common denominator. Dude kept a low profile so he flew under the radar, but he developed one of the worst rosters possible.

I think bad GM performance in general has been a problem for Carolina for a longer time than people realise. Marty Hurneys interim tenure was the best we've had since we sacked him the first time.

Fitterer had the pedigree but the execution was severely lacking in a few areas.

Im hoping that Dan Morgan has learned from their mistakes and they bring in the cap guy like they want.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Just saw Vrabel interviewing with the Panthers tomorrow.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

BlindSite posted:

Just saw Vrabel interviewing with the Panthers tomorrow.

Well, he wouldn’t have to worry about his dick.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

RumbleFish posted:

The weird thing about Tepper's coaching/staffing decisions thus far is that most of those moves were broadly praised when they happened, and it's largely hindsight that makes them look so bad.

The common wisdom around Rhule at the time was how hiring the hot college coaches with no NFL experience never, ever works out in the modern era.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

GD_American posted:

The common wisdom around Rhule at the time was how hiring the hot college coaches with no NFL experience never, ever works out in the modern era.

Nah, there will always be the "well actually" crowd about every hire or draft pick and it's always going to be the easy position to take because unless they win a ring they're a failure in hindsight but at the time Rhule had a lot of hype about being the next dude to make the jump.

He'd also built some programs and said all the right things about wanting to build a modern winning culture and team with a new era blah blah blah.

It didn't work out and he's a big dumb idiot but at the time the hype was there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

BlindSite posted:

He'd also built some programs

NFL programs?