Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Trabisnikof posted:

seriously lol

just imagine how big of a win it would be for the dems to be like "we banned robocalls & spam texts. you can finally unsilence your phone again" it would be their biggest achievement in decades.

but nope "sorry the iron triangle says that phone companies get to decide what we do maybe you should lobby more?"

lol yes especially when the harsh anti robocall legislation was put forth by them in the first place, and then struck down by the courts

quote:

On Friday the US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia struck down rules passed in 2015 under a Democrat-led FCC that expanded the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), which bans the use of auto-dialers known as robocallers

https://www.cnet.com/tech/mobile/courts-nixes-fcc-rules-targeting-robocalls/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

VoicesCanBe posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/e9ad4n/i_am_rushan_abbas_uyghur_activist_and_survivor_of/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

That's the actual AMA, if you don't want to go on reddit (understandable) this link summarizes what happened:

https://medium.com/@bobbyarlan/a-reddit-ama-claiming-to-be-a-uiyghur-quickly-exposes-a-cia-asset-slandering-china-1d667c098b77

Most of the top comments on the reddit AMA are calling her out, it was kind of a disaster for her.

some choice responses from rushan abbas, to show the quality of propaganda many morons are falling for:

quote:

As an American, I’m very proud of working for the US government in Guantanamo while translating for 22 uyghur inmates there. The uyghurs were treated respectfully with dignity and rights in Guantanamo. Do you want to contact them and ask how they feel about GTMO? They would tell you that their lives inside of the GTMO cell blocks were better than the normal uyghur people’s lives outside of the concentration camps. GTMO detainees were able to fast, able to pray, they weren’t force to eat pork. They had Quran and praying rugs.

quote:

It is true. They are advertizing even "halal organs" to some Muslim majority countries. During the end of 2016, the Chinese govenrment had mandotary DNA collections and health checkups for Uyghur people int he region. We didn't know at the beginnign what was that for. Now, it is clear that CCP is also using the camps for organ harvesting, where millions are forced to undergo DNA tests and prepped for slaughter. PRC is running Organ Slavery trade practices.

quote:

The Communist Chinese government has made Islam illegal for the Uyghur people. Under that pretext, 3 million Uyghur Muslims, including my own sister, are in modern-day concentration camps right now, for very simple normal Islamic practices such as wearing hijab, fasting during Ramadan, praying, having the Qur’an or a prayer rugs at home, or even refusing to eat pork or drinking alcohol. According to numerous testimonies from former detainees, the inmates are subject to food and sleep deprivation, forced medications, organ harvesting, and torture leading to brutal deaths. The dead are cremated to leave no evidence. Massive crematoria have been built throughout the region near the concentration camps for a culture that doesn’t believe in cremations. This is a warning sign.
As most Uyghur men are locked away in concentration camps, Uyghur women are being forced to marry Non-Muslim Han Chinese men with government gratifications such as money, housing and jobs for such inter-marriages. Neither the girls nor their families are able to reject in fear of repercussion. The Uyghur Muslims are fighting for survival and existence!

quote:

I don't work for CIA. You sound like the Chinese Communist regime accusing me for something so unreal. But, thank you for proving to the intelligent people how the CCP trolls work on social media :)

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Joementum posted:

seems like if it were so simple you'd just do it

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1749494901698375854

its simple we kill the batman.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

https://twitter.com/LeftwardSwing/status/1749474913633587536?s=20

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Being "told to leave the area" and then that area coincidentally being bombed is just rotten luck and doesn't fall under the definition either.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

sparkling ethnic cleansing anywhere besides germany

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Donald Regan, the fusion of Donald Trump and Ronald Reagan

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
ahh all three flavors of dem

https://x.com/igorbobic/status/1749619128904634634?s=46

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I wonder if you can get to a ceasefire without saying the word Katie? Maybe we should draw up a posterboard about it?

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

of course katie porter doesn't know the meaning of 'ceasefire' just ask her ex-husband

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

yellowcar posted:

of course katie porter doesn't know the meaning of 'ceasefire' just ask her ex-husband

she should be running for senator of idaho

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

klobuchar/porter 2028

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

yellowcar posted:

klobuchar/porter 2028

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

gently caress porter; california deserves schiff (or garvey) if they don't choose lee.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

from the state that brought you arnold, george murphy, sonny bono, shirley temple & ronald reagan

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Even more than 30 years after his retirement, it’s clear Garvey’s got game. At every stop along the campaign trail, he’s instantly recognized, with fans greeting him as he strolls down the street. His ability to connect with fans — especially those who grew up watching him play for the Dodgers and, later, the San Diego Padres — has made him a beloved figure among Californians and baseball fans broadly.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

oh drat, I didn't realize garvey was in the debate, too... someone tell me how that's going. :allears:

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

In response to the president's decision to skip the New Hampshire primary, over 100 New Hampshire Democratic leaders launched a campaign to encourage state Democrats to write-in Mr. Biden on primary day, which is permitted and has historical precedent.

The DNC's move barred candidates from campaigning in or appearing on the ballot in New Hampshire, ruling that any who did would not be allocated delegates from the state. Nonetheless, it left the door open for Democratic Primary challengers, including Rep. Dean Phillips of Minnesota and author Marianne Williamson.

SAVING DEMOCRACY, ONE PRIMARY AT A TIME

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Willa Rogers posted:

In response to the president's decision to skip the New Hampshire primary, over 100 New Hampshire Democratic leaders launched a campaign to encourage state Democrats to write-in Mr. Biden on primary day, which is permitted and has historical precedent.

The DNC's move barred candidates from campaigning in or appearing on the ballot in New Hampshire, ruling that any who did would not be allocated delegates from the state. Nonetheless, it left the door open for Democratic Primary challengers, including Rep. Dean Phillips of Minnesota and author Marianne Williamson.

There's no room for a primary when DEMOCRACY and THE RULE OF LAW are on the ballot!

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Willa Rogers posted:

They're just channeling Gerald Ford's head from Futurama

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

it's gonna be funny when trump wins NH by a wider margin than biden tomorrow.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Willa Rogers posted:

it's gonna be funny when trump wins NH by a wider margin than biden tomorrow.

The cope will be pretty amusing. Should be good for some prime syq.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Willa Rogers posted:

from the state that brought you arnold, george murphy, sonny bono, shirley temple & ronald reagan

are they aware no one under 70 knows who this guy is

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I really want to stop seeing the cooki\e posts

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

there has got to be easier it gigs than this

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

UP AND ADAM posted:

I really want to stop seeing the cooki\e posts

looks like it's not going to stop because he's the captain of a carrier

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Danann posted:

looks like it's not going to stop because he's the captain of a carrier

chowdeh...

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
wait i dont understand. i assumed it was the poster's actual child. is it not?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

tfw u have the cool boss on the USS genocide enabler

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

SixteenShells posted:

wait i dont understand. i assumed it was the poster's actual child. is it not?

petty officers are only slightly above the pecking order of the enlisted crew and that's a us navy carrier yeah

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

they sure use some ridiculous titles in the military.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

the GAO recently did a study and series of recommendations for the Navy to combat fatigue. I'm just going to quote the summary here because it's pretty telling

quote:

The Navy has completed actions to implement four of the eight recommendations GAO made in its May 2021 report (GAO-21-366). The Navy (1) revised its guidance to require the systematic collection of data on sailor fatigue, (2) revised guidance to use required positions when reporting crew sizes, (3) established risk-based crewing targets, and (4) used crew requirements to project future personnel needs. While the Navy has made progress in these areas, it has not fully taken action on the other four recommendations. Specifically, the Navy has yet to fund the expansion of two pilot programs that have been used to monitor sailor fatigue in real time and assist commanders with underway decision-making. Additionally, work remains to fully address the factors causing sailor fatigue and inadequate sleep, particularly crew shortfalls and uncomfortable mattresses. Lastly, the Navy has not yet accounted for additional sailor workload resulting from the continued implementation of its Ready Relevant Learning training initiative.

This report is from october of 2023. The average sailor is only getting roughly about 5 and a half hours of bad sleep a night and are being overworked the other 19

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Danann posted:

petty officers are only slightly above the pecking order of the enlisted crew and that's a us navy carrier yeah

oh i thought it was kind of a cute gesture when i thought it was their actual child. what the gently caress.

thinking about it, i guess there's no way you wouldn't know you were deploying to your parent's ship, huh

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

SixteenShells posted:

oh i thought it was kind of a cute gesture when i thought it was their actual child. what the gently caress.

thinking about it, i guess there's no way you wouldn't know you were deploying to your parent's ship, huh

it's definitely a whole genre of posts that's been going on for a while:

i think this is the first one:
https://twitter.com/ChowdahHill/status/1741065829997834683

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Tom Petty officer

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?

Willa Rogers posted:

Shirley Temple, really? Had no idea.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

new england or manhattan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?

Der Meister posted:

are they aware no one under 70 knows who this guy is
Probably the draw: "Who knows, some old baseball guy."
"Sounds harmless."