Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Who cares. Just don’t sniff your own farts. Enjoy your life, do whatever you’re supposed to do, don’t worry about being a lawyer anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah not saying it’s a reason not to do it. Just the worst part of the job.

Edit

I think gov lawyer is probably even better than a school prof. Though the money may be worse

Edit edit

You may be able to supplement your income working as an arbitrator if you have sufficient experience. It doesn’t sound like you do tho

euphronius fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 11, 2024

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Anyone else ever look at a calendar and swear it says the hearing is at 1:30 only to find out when you show up at 1:25 it was at 1:00?

gently caress.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

BigHead posted:

Anyone else ever look at a calendar and swear it says the hearing is at 1:30 only to find out when you show up at 1:25 it was at 1:00?

gently caress.

OOF

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Question for the law thread:

I've been asked to testify as an expert witness in a medmal case for the defense. This is a case that I've previously reviewed and given a written opinion on. I've done review a handful of times, but I've never been asked to actually testify.

The trial date is set for either a Friday or Saturday(?) a few months from now. I'm guessing there's a good chance things settle before then? What are the chances the trial date gets pushed back if it's within 6 months? If it does get pushed back, is it likely to be by a week or by longer than that?

Real question: we're leaving for a family vacation a week after the potential trial date. If it gets pushed, it's going to be longer than a week right?

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Typically everyone's schedule gets filled up pretty consistently. That is to say, if this case were scheduled six months ago, then the case scheduled after that would get the next week, and the case after that the next week, and so on. That's not a hard rule by any means, of course, but it's a good rule of thumb. There's very little chance that all three of them are going to have the next week miraculously free. If I'm continuing a one day trial where two lawyers and a judge have to coordinate schedules then we're usually looking three months out.

Are you working with a paralegal or something? Feel free to shoot them a quick email with that unavailability.

Also is it criminal or civil? Witnesses in criminal cases testify live but in civil case testimony from doctors is often done by deposition, which makes everything a lot more smooth.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

I've been asked to testify as an expert witness in a medmal case for the defense. This is a case that I've previously reviewed and given a written opinion on. I've done review a handful of times, but I've never been asked to actually testify.

The trial date is set for either a Friday or Saturday(?) a few months from now. I'm guessing there's a good chance things settle before then? What are the chances the trial date gets pushed back if it's within 6 months? If it does get pushed back, is it likely to be by a week or by longer than that?

Real question: we're leaving for a family vacation a week after the potential trial date. If it gets pushed, it's going to be longer than a week right?

Email the attorneys hiring you and tell them you have a conflict the week after; if they know, they can work with it. Also: have you already been deposed by the other side? Are you sure it's a trial date, rather than a deposition date?

(Also, assuming this is state court, but if it's federal mention that, different practices.)

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

The trial date is set for either a Friday or Saturday(?) a few months from now. I'm guessing there's a good chance things settle before then?

Yes usually cases settle.

quote:

What are the chances the trial date gets pushed back if it's within 6 months?

In my experience always a good chance, regardless of how far out the case is.

quote:

If it does get pushed back, is it likely to be by a week or by longer than that?

Usually longer, because the court’s docket is already full.

quote:

Almost certainly. Also have you mentioned your conflict to the lawyer who hired you? They may be ok with taking your testimony for trial by deposition. Don’t tell them you’re on vacation, just that you’re scheduled to be out of town. Don’t lie of course but you don’t have to volunteer anything to them.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Almost certainly. Also have you mentioned your conflict to the lawyer who hired you? They may be ok with taking your testimony for trial by deposition. Don’t tell them you’re on vacation, just that you’re scheduled to be out of town. Don’t lie of course but you don’t have to volunteer anything to them.

BigHead posted:

Are you working with a paralegal or something? Feel free to shoot them a quick email with that unavailability.

Also is it criminal or civil? Witnesses in criminal cases testify live but in civil case testimony from doctors is often done by deposition, which makes everything a lot more smooth.

Kalman posted:

Email the attorneys hiring you and tell them you have a conflict the week after; if they know, they can work with it. Also: have you already been deposed by the other side? Are you sure it's a trial date, rather than a deposition date?

(Also, assuming this is state court, but if it's federal mention that, different practices.)

Yup, I mentioned my "previous travel plans" to the lawyer I'm working with and they said they'd be in touch with details later. They specifically mentioned a trial, with a start date listed and a date for me being called as a witness several days later. Is there a chance that they might request me to do a deposition instead? That'd be way better than flying.

edit:
No, I have not yet been deposed by the other side. Should I expect that?

This is state court, civil trial.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jan 23, 2024

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

It really depends but no harm suggesting a trial depo instead of testifying in trial.

Whether the other side deposes you depends on the facts of the case.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Residency Evil posted:

Yup, I mentioned my "previous travel plans" to the lawyer I'm working with and they said they'd be in touch with details later. They specifically mentioned a trial, with a start date listed and a date for me being called as a witness several days later. Is there a chance that they might request me to do a deposition instead? That'd be way better than flying.

edit:
No, I have not yet been deposed by the other side. Should I expect that?

This is state court, civil trial.

I realise you came here to ask questions, but I'm curious:
Are your services in this case something that insurance covers?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

B33rChiller posted:

He’s probably not going to know. If you mean medical insurance, no. But depending on the kind of case, if there’s alleged liability of some kind (med mal, car accident, etc) and he was hired by a defense lawyer, then yes most likely an insurance company is paying for his bill. If he’s on the plaintiff side, nope—plaintiff (through the lawyers) is paying.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

B33rChiller posted:

Phil Moscowitz posted:

He’s probably not going to know. If you mean medical insurance, no. But depending on the kind of case, if there’s alleged liability of some kind (med mal, car accident, etc) and he was hired by a defense lawyer, then yes most likely an insurance company is paying for his bill. If he’s on the plaintiff side, nope—plaintiff (through the lawyers) is paying.

Yeah, I have no idea. It's a large health system, so it's presumably covered by their malpractice policy.

Of course, many large health systems self insure, so...

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Residency Evil posted:

Yeah, I have no idea. It's a large health system, so it's presumably covered by their malpractice policy.

Of course, many large health systems self insure, so...

Thanks. This actually answers it. I was just curious generally, if this was the sort of thing covered by (I was guessing) malpractice insurance.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

One of the features of liability insurance is not only to indemnify you if you are liable for someone’s damages but also to pay to defend you against allegations of liability. That includes costs like hiring an expert to say you aren’t at fault.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
One more question: looking at my calendar, it looks like I asked for a deferral of federal jury duty to some point in May 2024.

How likely is testifying at another trial to work as an excuse this time? :v:

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Residency Evil posted:

One more question: looking at my calendar, it looks like I asked for a deferral of federal jury duty to some point in May 2024.

How likely is testifying at another trial to work as an excuse this time? :v:

How good are you at forging government documents?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Do not forge government documents.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Also do not create documents from fictional governments, ie Moorish American passports. The crooked USA system will not recognize them.

Vvvv how can they be under sanctions, if they're not real, hmmmmm?

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 26, 2024

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

B33rChiller posted:

Also do not create documents from fictional governments, ie Moorish American passports. The crooked USA system will not recognize them.
Next you'll be telling me that Cobrastan is not a real country.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
Phil I guess since I'm back in the game you can add me back to the OP.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

You say that like anyone has read the op since 2018.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

SlothBear posted:

You say that like anyone has read the op since 2018.

Yeah, it doesn’t even cover HDD’s move to the titty tax docket

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

As a rando with odd interests, one of the best and least expected developments of the 21st century is this new phrase I've learned:
Zoom court pro se sovcit.

Amazing content. Thank you American dedication to transparency and public access.

VvLOL "I know your parents didn't name you iPhone 7. And if they did, I'll change it for free."

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 28, 2024

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
During covid I had some male pro ses show up to zoom docket shirtless with gym shorts

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
One more witness question:

My wife is also a doctor, and happens to be in a similar specialty as the defendant in this case I'm supposed to serve as an expert witness for. Is that something I should let the defense attorneys know? It's not like they know each other/work together in any way.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

If in doubt, tell the attorney who hired you, but do it over the phone.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Arcturas posted:

Thanks, will do this.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Always pick up the drat phone.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Eminent Domain posted:

Always pick up the drat phone.

My brother in christ, do you know where you are!?

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Arcturas posted:

This is the answer to everything.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Residency Evil posted:

My brother in christ, do you know where you are!?

the litigators in this thread spend most of our time either reading people’s emails or using those emails against people

don’t email

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

evilweasel posted:

the litigators in this thread spend most of our time either reading people’s emails or using those emails against people

don’t email

That feeling of reminding your gov supervisor that all your email contents are subject to public access requests.
"Don't worry. It'll all come out at the inquiry. "

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
Related to phones chat, I had a meeting today with a Director level person who was fired up about Microsoft Copilot in Teams so it could automatically transcribe things said in unrecorded Teams meetings.
It took all I had not to just say "You realize that like 70% of the reason for having an unrecorded Teams meeting rather than text, email, or Teams messages is the lack of a transcript part, right?"

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
Oof yeah, I was with a couple of colleagues and a client's cfo on a zoom call the other day, and we were talking about how our firm just switched to zoom phones. The client apparently did that a bit ago and he was talking about this AI zoom summary function. My immediate reaction for my colleagues was, we turned that off, right?

Draadnagel
Jul 16, 2011

..zoekend naar draadnagels bij laag tij.
We've had outside people who recorded meetings they were having with us. While technically not illegal here, we stopped having meetings with them. Everything is in writing now. Turns out that takes a lot more time and effort for all parties involved.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Emily Spinach posted:

Oof yeah, I was with a couple of colleagues and a client's cfo on a zoom call the other day, and we were talking about how our firm just switched to zoom phones. The client apparently did that a bit ago and he was talking about this AI zoom summary function. My immediate reaction for my colleagues was, we turned that off, right?

I’m sure no bar wants to touch it with a ten-foot pole, but would an AI server sitting at Zoom or at Microsoft be exposure to a third party which automatically waives privilege?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

I’m sure no bar wants to touch it with a ten-foot pole, but would an AI server sitting at Zoom or at Microsoft be exposure to a third party which automatically waives privilege?

We've already gone through this with cloud storage functionality, and the answer's no (as long as you're making reasonable efforts not to throw it open to the world - don't store it in a public Dropbox, etc.)

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

quote:

The group that worked on the compensation package also included the company’s general counsel, who once served as Musk’s divorce attorney and “whose admiration for Musk moved him to tears during his deposition,” McCormick wrote.

lol at being described in this way in a court opinion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I want to see that transcript.